Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2020, 10:32 PM   #61
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: A query from Franco

What about a Subaru Forester or are they too small for the job
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2020, 11:12 PM   #62
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
What about a Subaru Forester or are they too small for the job
I was under the impression its a 'soft roader' and probably not up to the task of anything other than dirt roads - we're looking for something that has a transfer case with selectable high/low range I guess at the minimum.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2020, 11:25 PM   #63
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You know what the answer is mate.
The debate about petty vs diesel isnt even that relative as the budget has dictated that for you.
Turn on the news, any station. Are they running around in old bt50s, pajeros, rodeos or dmaxes?
Says it all, doesnt it?
Theres probably more early 90s 75 series utes than fire trucks. And yes with a 1hz or 3fe
Jack91 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2020, 07:57 AM   #64
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Theres probably more early 90s 75 series utes than fire trucks. And yes with a 1hz or 3fe
Yeah, I see these everywhere here in the North East high country, along with Coasters using the same engines.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2020, 08:11 AM   #65
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

So this person who is so insufficiently schooled in 4WD cars they need help to choose one, is now apparently aspiring to “serious” four wheel adventures? A bit like buying a grand piano will somehow imbue the talent of Simon Tedeschi?

It may not end well - but it’s more likely the purchase is about daydreams or overspec.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2020, 09:13 AM   #66
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless you are going "serious" 4WDing adventuring anywhere, all you need is high clearance, good tyres and common sense.
Unfortunately the first 2 are usually attached to a 4WD rather than a 2WD, the third is frequently left at home with the cat.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2020, 09:34 AM   #67
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Find a Ford Maverick / Patrol with a blown motor and do a Barra Turbo Transplant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLQiDHWpt-A
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #68
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Find a Ford Maverick / Patrol with a blown motor and do a Barra Turbo Transplant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLQiDHWpt-A
Transplants like that are ok IF you can do the fitting yourself.If you pay a workshop labour rates to fit,the few hundred dollars for the major components will turn out to be a very miniscule part of the conversion.Workshop rates at $80-100hr for a couple of weeks changes a $1000 conversion to something like 10 times that.
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #69
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
So this person who is so insufficiently schooled in 4WD cars they need help to choose one, is now apparently aspiring to “serious” four wheel adventures? A bit like buying a grand piano will somehow imbue the talent of Simon Tedeschi?

It may not end well - but it’s more likely the purchase is about daydreams or overspec.
The brief was they are moving to the NT and want help shopping for a 4x4, there's been nothing said about desert crossings, this is the research part before further discussion.

The idea is I've scoped out a few cars at multiple dealerships, I'll pick them up and get them to drive a few cars and explain how the requirements change depending on what they're planning.

At the end of the day who cares what the aspirations are and if end up with a Cruiser or Patrol used for driving to the Maccas drive through and they're happy filling a 145L tank doing 20-30L/100km, if that's what they want then that's what they want.

It's no different to anyone here with performance cars and driving them to work that never see the track, if we bought stuff according to our needs we'd all have a yearly bus pass and a 1.5L 4 cylinder WT Fiesta.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 05-01-2020 at 11:44 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #70
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The brief was they are moving to the NT and want help shopping for a 4x4, there's been nothing said about desert crossings, this is the research part before further discussion.

The idea is I've scoped out a few cars at multiple dealerships, I'll pick them up and get them to drive a few cars and explain how the requirements change depending on what they're planning.

At the end of the day who cares what the aspirations are and if end up with a Cruiser or Patrol used for driving to the Maccas drive through and they're happy filling a 145L tank doing 20-30L/100km, if that's what they want then that's what they want.

It's no different to anyone here with performance cars and driving them to work that never see the track, if we bought stuff according to our needs we'd all have a yearly bus pass and a 1.5L 4 cylinder WT Fiesta.
You need to have a real conversation with them about where they are going to live in NT, where do they expect to drive in NT.
Most, if not all major roads are sealed.
Some others while dirt are well maintained & you can drive a sedan up and down them, quite easily. In spite of everything most people up there don't need a 4x4.
I went up the Cape this past dry & some bloke in a BF Wagon towing an '80's Vicount Van did the Cape to the Tip. Three other Nongs on Postie Bikes did it, with a mate running support.
Whatdoya need a 4x4 for?

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #71
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
Whatdoya need a 4x4 for?
I'm trying to think of a large, late model, petrol engine, RWD, high riding, comfortable, roomy, SUV/wagon ……….. ummmm …… ??????
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2020, 01:50 PM   #72
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I'm trying to think of a large, late model, petrol engine, RWD, high riding, comfortable, roomy, SUV/wagon ……….. ummmm …… ??????
Territory isn't a 4x4
Old 05-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #73
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
You need to have a real conversation with them about where they are going to live in NT, where do they expect to drive in NT.
Most, if not all major roads are sealed.
Some others while dirt are well maintained & you can drive a sedan up and down them, quite easily. In spite of everything most people up there don't need a 4x4.
I went up the Cape this past dry & some bloke in a BF Wagon towing an '80's Vicount Van did the Cape to the Tip. Three other Nongs on Postie Bikes did it, with a mate running support.
Whatdoya need a 4x4 for?
I'll get more details when I take them out next week, I think if I get them behind the wheel of a few cars and explain how much the requirements differ the car and the driving experience and upkeep varies wildly I'll get to the real requirements.

I'm talking to a non automotive person, baby steps rather than information dump.

Might go shopping for a Challenger, Pajero, Cruiser or Patrol and come back in a Territory that fits the bill.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2020, 02:16 PM   #74
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I'll get more details when I take them out next week, I think if I get them behind the wheel of a few cars and explain how much the requirements differ the car and the driving experience and upkeep varies wildly I'll get to the real requirements.

I'm talking to a non automotive person, baby steps rather than information dump.

Might go shopping for a Challenger, Pajero, Cruiser or Patrol and come back in a Territory that fits the bill.
Show them this vid and ask them if they can see much difference in the car/4wd ratio between Darwin and Melb

Old 05-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #75
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
I was under the impression the Forester a 'soft roader' and probably not up to the task of anything other than dirt roads - we're looking for something that has a transfer case with selectable high/low range I guess at the minimum.
Not sure about the latest Forester.. but the older Foresters in Manual form have a high/low range transfer case. My neighbour & his Son both have them.
Pretty good off road too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Territory isn't a 4x4
Not a 4x4... but the AWD Terry, and others like it are fine "off road". It just depends how far off road, or on what type of surfaces it's likely to be taken !??

I've been all over Oz in my AWD Falcon Wagon, which uses the Terry's front end and transfer case, and the RTV's back end... and surprised plenty of 4wd-heads when they see it in the outback. Never pretended its a "real 4x4"... but haven't needed to either.

As Burnout says... plenty of 2WDs getting about in the bush !

Whatever they do end up with, bringing them up to speed with the required "driving style" is just as important. Some of that applies to whatever vehicle they're in... other stuff will need to be tailored to what they end up with !??

Something to note that may help come final decission time... When the authorities/road signs say "4WD access only" on roads during weather events etc... it includes permission for "AWDs" as AWDs have drive to all 4 wheels too.

Can understand the desire for a "real 4wd" up there... but again, it just depends on what sort of roads/off road they plan on doing !?? $12k isn't a lot of coin... so relability would have to be a factor for something of that value, to go bush in... and repairs in the more remote areas can be quite expensive too...

Good luck with your quest !

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2020, 05:02 PM   #76
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Troopy - so when the lizards surround you when camping out, you can stretch and sleep in the back until they get bored.

I did drive my ED Falcon once up a rocky track to a radio tower once (when the Cruiser was in for service) - it made it, but I had to stop for each bigger protruding rock, get out, and manually remove it to get the Falcon up!
Old 05-01-2020, 06:14 PM   #77
IanC

Default A query from Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
If you're in No real Hurry ?
Start getting around the Auctions...Or Let a few Dealers Who Wholesale a lot of their Trade ins what you Want. sit back & wait..
The problem with the auctions is that you don't get a chance to have a test drive. Also dealers use the auctions to get rid of old crap that they don't want on their lot and which would give them a lot of warranty costs. Best bet is to buy private. That way you get a decent test drive and you get to meet the previous owner which can tell you a lot about how the vehicle has been treated.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2020, 06:51 PM   #78
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
The problem with the auctions is that you don't get a chance to have a test drive. Also dealers use the auctions to get rid of old crap that they don't want on their lot and which would give them a lot of warranty costs. Best bet is to buy private. That way you get a decent test drive and you get to meet the previous owner which can tell you a lot about how the vehicle has been treated.

The only thing is though.
On a Tight Budget You'll get far more bang for your Buck at an auction. $12k at Auction will get you something that Retails for $16-17K or $14-15K at a Private sale....

I've bought a heap of stuff out of the Auctions over the last 30 odd years, & have had far more good luck than bad doing It..

But to each His own....
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2020, 08:31 PM   #79
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Over the years we have owned a large number and variety of cars.
Of those, there are 6 engines that I would brand as being Total ****e:
1) The Red Motors in my HK Holden(s).
2) The Korean made Opel 4 in my Sunbird.
3) Mitsubishi Colt 1.6
4) Mitsubishi Nimbus 1.8
5) 3.9l in my EB1
6) Mitsubishi Starwagon 2.4

I could also add the Mitsi 2.6 in my FIL's Magna.

That said, I have heard that the old Mitsi 2.8 TD was pretty good.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:42 PM   #80
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Territory AWD will out perform and out handle any 4WD.
AND best of all, since you insist on petrol, it's a Barra.

Realistically your biggest limitation is the tyres, especially on sand or mud. ANd then if you do start to sink, you'll run out of clearance rather quickly.
I don't know what a Terri would be like if you jacked it up and fitted muddies? But that would blow your budget.

Keep in mind that in the NT when they say "road open to 4WD only" they mean that parts of the road have turned to **** and are under a foot of water.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:12 PM   #81
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you will need to explain to the buyers the difference of AWD and 4wd franco. And the pros and cons of a solid front end vs IFS. To the regular punters, those things dont matter.
Jack91 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2020, 09:32 PM   #82
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2500hp Barra EXPLODES into a BAZILLION pieces!

Quote:
Also add one to the serious 4x4 list - Suzuki Jimny (2008-2012 fits in budget).

Yes it seems laughable but its actually a serious 4x4:

https://www.caradvice.com.au/15112/2...sierra-review/

Even though you failed to use my correct pronoun (your highness) I'll still reply anyway since it's you.

Have to say my Jimny is fantastic off road, but that's where it ends.
Horrible at highway speeds, horrible on windy roads, horrible with cross winds, horrible at carrying heavy loads, but amazing offroad and for innercity parking.

It is a simple car and I hear the older ones are still pretty reliable.
The short wheel base helps in some of those tricky off road situations.
My mate in his highly modified 'Argentina special' dual cab is scratching his rock sliders, smashing his towbar and tool box into the ground while my 100% stock Jimny is going over the same spots on road tyres with no issues.
Well until you come to water. The lower overall height means it's more likely to drown compared to a taller 4x4.

At work we had Prados for most of the time and they were very reliable. We had diesel but I'm sure the petrol is just as good. I'd buy one with my own money.
I wouldn't buy a Pajero, Colorado, Rodeo, Hilux or Trailblazer which are the other 4x4's we have at work.
Hilux was reliable too but the Prado was nicer overall to drive.
We've had both the previous shape and the current shape Prado. The previous shape should be pretty much in that price range now.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #83
IanC

Quote:
Good evening ladies, gents, he/him, they, her/she, spaceships, non binaries, LGBTIQIAXYZ+, unicorns and ASIO

Thanks
I am highly offended by this. Why is there no mention of the persecuted minority of white, male, heterosexual taxpayers? We may be vastly outnumbered but some of us are still out there.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2020, 07:54 PM   #84
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
I am highly offended by this. Why is there no mention of the persecuted minority of white, male, heterosexual taxpayers? We may be vastly outnumbered but some of us are still out there.
You won't be around long if the 'post-truth' society has a say in the matter
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #85
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC
Check your privelege you racist cracker
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #86
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tide is turning, here is Ricky Gervais' most excellent Golden Globe opener

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2...globes-speech/
Old 07-01-2020, 06:41 PM   #87
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
tide is turning, here is Ricky Gervais' most excellent Golden Globe opener

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2...globes-speech/
wet me self laughing , what can i say besides i didnt feel like i had just wasted 7 minutes of my life in this day n age and wished it went on longer
well done !

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 10:41 PM   #88
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Inquired on a Mazda BT50 tonight - 5 minutes later the dealership calls me,

Call
Ignore
Call
Ignore
Call
Ignore
Call
Ignore
Call
Ignore

I send a text, he goes 'I don't text'

Calls again

Block number

Well bud, I don't look at your car

That's why I have my phones always on 'do not disturb' mode, if I want to call you and talk on the phone, I'll make the call.

How to lose a sales lead 101 - be a pest on the phone.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2020, 10:47 PM   #89
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do u evn txt bro
Old 09-01-2020, 12:04 AM   #90
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Carsales doesn't list the location of the dealer but many get around this by having their contact details on a sign in the background.

The other problem with Carsales is they are blurring the rego paltes on some cars.

Why is that?

BTW I just found out today that you can check rego details on a phone app for Qld rego.

It will give you the vin number and when rego expires on any vehicle registered in Qld
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post