Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #601
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Well so far Ive had the brake switch go on me, which was easy as to replace.
Last night my right rear actuator stopped working and just makes noises.
And my column has the common knock, what can be done to fix this?
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #602
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

new actuator..

unsure about the steering column, mine doesn't do it with 276,000KM on it
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #603
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
new actuator..

unsure about the steering column, mine doesn't do it with 276,000KM on it
Suppose I have to replace the whole rack as it is weeping to?

Going to get my mechanic to write a report so I can take it to the car yard as I still have 10 days or 500kms left on my warranty.
Probably wont like me, but hey the steering column and weeping were an issue the day I bought it, they cleaned and said the rack was no longer leaking, but it is.
Old 21-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #604
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly94 View Post
Suppose I have to replace the whole rack as it is weeping to?

Going to get my mechanic to write a report so I can take it to the car yard as I still have 10 days or 500kms left on my warranty.
Probably wont like me, but hey the steering column and weeping were an issue the day I bought it, they cleaned and said the rack was no longer leaking, but it is.
unsure if your reply was sarcasm to be honest, unsure why it would be

the easiest way to fix actuators is to replace them, they're not that expensive and can be obtained at the wreckers easily enough. There are other ways if you want to save a few dollars, do a site search
Old 21-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #605
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
unsure if your reply was sarcasm to be honest, unsure why it would be

the easiest way to fix actuators is to replace them, they're not that expensive and can be obtained at the wreckers easily enough. There are other ways if you want to save a few dollars, do a site search
No mate wasn't sarcasm aimed you mate, sorry if it came across that way, was more at the fact that so far to fix a small leak on an au turns out needing to have the whole part replaced.

Just had to get my hi pres pwr steer line changed because the it was weeping at the fitting.

Was thinking that, genuine ford ones are $150, would put a second hand one in.

Thanks.
This user likes this post:
Old 21-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #606
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

lol no worries - yeah that's about the price but there are options on ebay for about $90 for the whole thing, then the repair bits are cheaper than that
Old 16-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #607
kebbard
Starter Motor

Angry Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Hi all, i see nobody has mentioned the evil power steering pressure switch.
had to chop a 9/16 spanner in half to get it to fit in the space to change it, had to replace 2 in the last year.
kebbard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #608
Pacman77
Starter Motor

Gday all, yes it's time for clunk talk - I've read many posts about this topic in other forums however this clunk is different. AU falcon (non IRS)Rear RHS in this case... Cateyes always trigger it off!! I've had all the bushes in the back end replaced, shocks are 5yo but are in good condition, spring rubber mounts are in good nic too, I even replaced the rear shocker bushes with nolathane ones, emptied the boot .. tried to eliminate all possible causes but still...the clunk!! not even pedders, repco, or ex ford ppl can figure it out! has anyone found some unusual causes that have already been covered?
Pacman77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #609
kebbard
Starter Motor

Talking Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly94 View Post
No mate wasn't sarcasm aimed you mate, sorry if it came across that way, was more at the fact that so far to fix a small leak on an au turns out needing to have the whole part replaced.

Just had to get my hi pres pwr steer line changed because the it was weeping at the fitting.

Was thinking that, genuine ford ones are $150, would put a second hand one in.

Thanks.
i've had to replace that hose on 2 au's now seems to be a common fault with them, picked mine up on ebay for $50 each
kebbard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #610
dopeydazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman77 View Post
Gday all, yes it's time for clunk talk - I've read many posts about this topic in other forums however this clunk is different. AU falcon (non IRS)Rear RHS in this case... Cateyes always trigger it off!! I've had all the bushes in the back end replaced, shocks are 5yo but are in good condition, spring rubber mounts are in good nic too, I even replaced the rear shocker bushes with nolathane ones, emptied the boot .. tried to eliminate all possible causes but still...the clunk!! not even pedders, repco, or ex ford ppl can figure it out! has anyone found some unusual causes that have already been covered?
Being hearing impaired, the noises of clunks and bangs and whines can freak me out as I have generally no idea what direction the noise is to me.
1 banging that always peeved me off I eventually traced to upper and lower trailing arms in a EA2, same noise I am hearing now in my AU2, I am hoping it is the same thing.

417,700 km now, from previous post, now added brand new rear shocks and springs to lift rear as it was sagging something shocking, especially with weight of my work tools and lpg. Also from previous post, I am sad to say I don't drive through water anymore for fun, ever since coil was replaced.

Therefore I must be a potato.
dopeydazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #611
animation303
Dirty rotten bastard

Thread is a month old or so, but I thought I would mention this cause I couldn't see it in this thread anywhere:

in regards to the power windows sticking, would the felt window tracks from the EB fit? or did they change the shape/length too much?

that fixed the sticky windows in my original EF Fairmont
animation303 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #612
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

The thread is 9 years old mate, it's an ongoing thing.
Old 22-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #613
billybods
Starter Motor

2001 au would not start is it possible that it has something to do with my ignition key
billybods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #614
dopeydazza

How is the battery? is it over 13.5 bolts minimum required for a start?
Had a crook transmission neutral switch.
No reverse lights, ignition turns over like battery completely dead, no noise at all. put ignition to start and see if have reverse lights.

bloody typo, meant 13.5 volt.

" beware of the typo, or the Errorist wins "

Therefore I must be a potato.
dopeydazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #615
TRAU BLAU

I just replaced my 7year old RACQ battery for a Century 57EF at Battery World for $159.It's cranking over alot faster now!Every time I gap the plugs slightly wider starting is harder so have got 'em at 0.014in but might try 0.012in.Any suggestions to get better starting.
TRAU BLAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #616
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Yeah gap at 1.1mm if its petrol, 0.8mm or 0.9mm if on gas. Good luck!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #617
v8der
Naturally Aspirated

The most common problem on every AU is the curved dash and lack of aftermarket double din fascia

1993 EBII Fairmont 4sp auto Biscayne Blue

Previous Forms of Transportation:

1978 302 V8 XC | 1982 4.1L XD | 1994 ED Fairmont | 2000 AUII XR6 | 2002 AUIII XR8 | 2003 BA XR6 } 2011 SZ Titanium Territory | 2006 BF Pursuit BOSS 290 6spd manual #57 | 2003 BA Fairmont 5.4L 4spd auto |
v8der is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #618
Wolfghost
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Baron View Post
That ***** me sooo much, people just replacing things till its fixed. How about people spend more time diagnosing issues than just wasting peoples money or just be honest and say i don't know.
and now the reverse has gone in the box on Sunday past, all forward gears ok getting another box fitted next Monday if all goes well,
Wolfghost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #619
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfghost View Post
and now the reverse has gone in the box on Sunday past, all forward gears ok getting another box fitted next Monday if all goes well,
Happend to my au too, clutch plates in the clutch pack decided to shed their material causing the famous no reverse situation doh!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 02-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #620
TRAU BLAU

Smile Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Yeah gap at 1.1mm if its petrol, 0.8mm or 0.9mm if on gas. Good luck!

cheers, Maka
I'm using the cheap Bosch plugs.1.1m is smaller than 0.12in.Are you using the expensive platinum long lasting plugs?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #621
v8der
Naturally Aspirated

Not sure if it's a common problem, but my passenger side wiper spray works fine while my drivers side has packed it in. Would it be the jets clogged, or will I have to remove the bonnet lining to investigate?

1978 302 V8 XC | 1982 4.1L XD | 1994 ED Fairmont | 2000 AUII XR6 | 2002 AUIII XR8 | 2003 BA XR6 } 2011 SZ Titanium Territory | 2006 BF Pursuit BOSS 290 6spd manual #57 | 2003 BA Fairmont 5.4L 4spd auto |
Old 02-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #622
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

most likely blocked lines
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #623
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I'm using the cheap Bosch plugs.1.1m is smaller than 0.12in.Are you using the expensive platinum long lasting plugs?
No, just NGK BPR5EY-11. Is your au duel fuel or petrol? Two different gaps dependant on fuel type.

http://www.fordmods.com/ford-4l-and-...se-t77489.html

cheers, Maka

Old 03-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #624
TRAU BLAU

My AU wagon is petrol only with the Bosch Super plus WR9LCX plugs.Sounds like your NGK's are a similar plug.Yeah,I'll try gapping 'em down to 1.1mm.Is your AU petrol?

Last edited by TRAU BLAU; 03-04-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #625
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
My AU wagon is petrol only with the Bosch Super plus WR9LCX plugs.Sounds like your NGK's are a similar plug.Yeah,I'll try gapping 'em down to 1.1mm.Is your AU petrol?
Yeah mate petrol only, i usually run those superplus's & i found they are a good plug also. Superplus's last a bit longer than the equivelant Ngk plug also.

cheers, Maka

Old 04-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #626
v8der
Naturally Aspirated

Vehicle: AUIII XR8

Problem: Steering wheel "loose". Too much "play" before steering is engaged.

Solution: Intermediate shaft needs replacing. XR8 shaft heatshielded. Possible to use your existing shielding if required.

Price: $140 (price may vary i.e wrecker, ebay, etc)

Old 08-04-2014, 12:36 AM   #627
fish84
Starter Motor

Thumbs down Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Was just wondering if anyone could offer some quick tips at all? I have an 2001 AU III dedicated gas sedan it has approx 740kms although engine was replaced and gearbox rebuilt just before 600kms. Have been having a few electrical lately first was the TPS after stalling the car while driving i unplugged it and drove home. While replacing the TPS i also serviced the engine and replaced spark plugs and leads. After a few weeks of smooth driving i parked the car to return a fews hours later to a non starter. Replaced the crank angle sensor after much deliberation about whether the ECU may have been the cause and then the coil pack to once again enjoy two weeks of trouble free driving before being confronted with healthy cranking but a non start Hav a friend supplying a scan tool tommorrow to check for any codes but any other physical checks i could perform would be much appreciated. Anyone know where and how to isolate the gas supply to the motor? thanks
fish84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #628
TRAU BLAU

Is that 740,000kms?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #629
fish84
Starter Motor

Yeah it is mate 740,000kms on the clock was originally a taxi then a company promotional car for Auto One. Have owned the car since 2007 and about 610,000kms apart from servicing and replacement of the LPG converter two years ago it hasnt missed a beat. On further inspection today the main ignition fuse in the underbonnet fusebox has green death (copper corrosion) inside it and seems to be welded into place. Will attempt to wire in a new fuse location and replace fuse tomorrow as have only been able to remove pieces of the existing fuse from its holder so far . . . . . .
fish84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #630
TRAU BLAU

With that amount of mileage it shows how resilient the straight sixes are.Is the replacement engine a GEM?My previous car(XF)had a great GEM engine which went really well.I can't help you on the gas set-up as I've only had petrol powered motors.