Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #61
paulb351

Default Re: 30% increase in Ford models here. What are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Because they may reuse the Territory badge on another (imported) car.
Pure speculation based on nothing factual... Territory nameplate applied to Ranger based SUV currently in development.
paulb351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #62
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Dodge has been considering bringing RAM to Australia in 2015 when its up for a new model, with that on the cards the only competitors would be F series and GMC HD series.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #63
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb351 View Post
Pure speculation based on nothing factual... Territory nameplate applied to Ranger based SUV currently in development.
Oh...oh really?

Quote:
But, Ford Public Affairs Director, Sinead Phipps, told motoring.com.au that no decision had been made on Territory.

“The Falcon name will retire, but we are still to make a decision regarding Territory,” she said.

“It’s still under discussion,” she stated.
http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2013...NUZEJk5uZT0xNQ..

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #64
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I would certainly hope T6 SUV will be on sale long before October 2016 and if that happens they obviously can't call 2 models the same name.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #65
69XWGT

who ******* cares.
It's going to be a long time before I buy another Ford product and it'll have to be something a bit special for that to happen
69XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #66
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
It may be Mondeo but the name could change to Fusion.

Ford Fusion rolls off the tongue better while Mondeo sounds like a defunct European currency...
Totally agree. I'm not even sure why Ford thought it was a good name to start with when first launched in the early 1990's.

Kuga is another name that doesn't sit well - easy to pronounce, but the connotations linked to the name are questionable... (shudders)
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #67
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist View Post

Kuga is another name that doesn't sit well - easy to pronounce, but the connotations linked to the name are questionable... (shudders)
Lol....its apt for its target market?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #68
Jim5_0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kuga sounds too much like Cougar (Poogar if you apply it to that orrible coupe Ford sold a few years back)..

My bet is that Ford will import a bigger range of SUV's rather than cars.

Just look at what Nissan sell: Pulsar, 380Z, Micra and a whole raft of SUV' & 4WD trucks. Same story with Mitsubishi these days.

What will they all do when the SUV bubble bursts? which hopefully will be soon.
Jim5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #69
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Well there's not much point trying to decide on what they have now. Next gen Edge is rumoured to share underpinnings with new S-Max, US Fusion may even have an MCE by 2016 if they don't take Mondeo, Taurus and Explorer will both be new and maybe both on different platforms. New F150 will be out too, so maybe you can't rule out RHD in that one.
Old 25-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #70
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania
I'm pretty certain the Mustang will come here, it's going to the UK. Only thing is, word I hear the UK will only be getting base V6 Mustang model? If Ford only bring the base V6 Mustang here, they'll be flogging a dead horse, & watch them ship them back out again.
The all-new "global" Mustang will also be sold in Europe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq7gjrJen9E

One of the engine options will be a 4-cylinder EcoBoost engine.

Quote:
It may be Mondeo but the name could change to Fusion.

Ford Fusion rolls off the tongue better while Mondeo sounds like a defunct European currency...
Didn't they just preview the All-new Mondeo at the Sydney Motor Show?

They called it the "ALL-NEW MONDEO" so I guess they won't use the North American "Fusion" name.
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #71
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist View Post
Kuga is the US Escape, Ford retired that name/model here & probably didn't want to bring it back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
The all-new "global" Mustang will also be sold in Europe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq7gjrJen9E

One of the engine options will be a 4-cylinder EcoBoost engine.
Yes I know, I've also heard that the UK will only get the Ecoboost version, Top Gear even mentioned that.
I don't know, maybe they'll get the full model range or maybe only base V6 or Ecoboost, we'll just have to wait & see.
Ford better not bring the Ecoboost Mustang here. Don't even know why they'd do that to a legend?
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #72
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Canadian cousin bought a Mustang V8 Convertible for $30kcan drive away. Her father a Explorer LTD for $39can drive away. It makes the Tezza Titanium look like the TS, feature wise...those prices will never be seen here....sad..sad..
Old 25-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #73
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't bet against Mondeo being named Fusion here. Fact is Fusion/Mondeo is almost as big (if not bigger) then Falcon currently is. Mondeo hasn't ever REALLY caught on, so perhaps a complete re-launch with a new name will give Ford the fresh start and clear space it needs. I'd love to see the 3.5l dropped in it for Oz. A full range of engines from 1.6l 4 through to 3.5l 6, with a hybrid option. That would give Camry / Aurion a run for their money in the mid size sector...
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #74
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont View Post
Its important they convince the public that Ford will be a better company without the falcon............. or how else are they to survive here? Public perception is already at an all time low.
Bon voyage Ford! No Falcon, no deal.
2011 Audi A4 2.7 TDI - gone
2012 Audi A5 3.0 Quattro Coupe - gone
2007 FPV GT - gone
1996 EFII Fairmont Ghia - gone
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #75
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mondeo called Futura ??? Futura ?? the way of the future in Ford Australia ????
Old 25-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #76
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4 GT View Post
Bon voyage Ford! No Falcon, no deal.

Oh ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by your signature
2011 C63 AMG Perfomance Edition (Forged SLS Engine Components, Composite Brakes, Track Suspension, LSD)
2011 Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV
2011 Audi A4 2.7 TDI
2012 Audi A5 3.0 Quattro Coupe
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #77
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"No Falcon, no deal"...given they are selling in such low numbers it's not profitable, apparently the huge majority of buyers going to Ford now for vehicles don't share that sentiment. Look at the top ten cars sold over the last year:
1. Mazda3
2. Toyota Corolla
3. Holden Commodore
4. Holden Cruze
5. Hyundai i30
6. Toyota Camry
7. Toyota Yaris
8. Ford Focus
9. Mazda2
10. Volkswagen Golf

Not a Falcon to be seen. The board and investors look at things like that, and ask difficult questions such as "why are you still wasting money building a car that isn't selling?". They're not going to keep hemorrhaging money just to keep a vanishingly small number of enthusiasts happy or to appeal to "tradition". That's business.

85% of cars sold in Australia are built overseas. The majority of buyers are voting with their feet and, especially these days, their hip pocket.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #78
trendkill555666

I always wondered why ford (and Holden) never made a 3 series rival, mid size, rear drive, sedan and wagon.
Good driver dynamics, 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder and hypo v8 and a DEISEL.
With the number of large cars falling, why not down size??
Old 25-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #79
Jim5_0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
"No Falcon, no deal"...given they are selling in such low numbers it's not profitable, apparently the huge majority of buyers going to Ford now for vehicles don't share that sentiment. Look at the top ten cars sold over the last year:
1. Mazda3
2. Toyota Corolla
3. Holden Commodore
4. Holden Cruze
5. Hyundai i30
6. Toyota Camry
7. Toyota Yaris
8. Ford Focus
9. Mazda2
10. Volkswagen Golf

Not a Falcon to be seen.
So the Commodore came in at number 3 and the similarly sized and featured Falcon is nowhere in that list which begs the question what are Holden doing differently.

I find that Ford Ecoboost ad on TV annoying in that it goes on about the virtues of Ecoboost then shows a Focus at the end when it should show a Falcon or at the very least they should have a different version of the ad for each Ecoboost car in the range and rotate their airplay.

The average Australian would be completely unaware that there is a 4 cyl Falcon that sips fuel and rides/handles better than it's heavier 6 Cyl stablemates as well as having more torque than a 3 litre Commodore.
Jim5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #80
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The difference is the connection with their potential buyers is much better, they seem to deliver what is needed now
while Ford seems to trail. Don't get me wrong, the Falcon is an excellent technical vehicle but the use of hand built
V8 engines, importation of Garret Turbos and ZF transmissions versus Holden's use of global power trains must
surely give Holden a tactical advantage.

We've seen in the past couple of weeks how Holden is about to deliver VF with up to date features like all the highly regarded
imports have yet Ford is asking its Falcon buyers to wait until late next year and maybe get updated looks and maybe similar features.

I just feel like Ford has been played and outpointed in the public arena since the launch of the VE, vital sales momentum was lost
due to distractions and interruptions that blew needed developments and subsequent sales off course with no recovery possible.

Last edited by jpd80; 25-05-2013 at 08:54 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #81
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The difference is the connection with their potential buyers is much better, they seem to deliver what is needed now
while Ford seems to trail. Don't get me wrong, the Falcon is an excellent technical vehicle but the use of hand built
V8 engines, importation of Garret Turbos and ZF transmissions versus Holden's use of global power trains must
surely give Holden a tactical advantage.

We've seen in the past couple of weeks how Holden is about to deliver VF with up to date features like all the highly regarded
imports have yet Ford is asking its Falcon buyers to wait until late next year and maybe get updated looks and maybe similar features.

I just feel like Ford has been played and outpointed in the public arena since the launch of the VE, vital sales momentum was lost
due to distractions and interruptions that blew needed developments and subsequent sales off course with no recovery possible.
I think you're right, but I think it goes back further than that - with EL having to ply its trade for 12 - 18 months after VT was launched before AU. Then BF needing to do the same while VE was out. Literally the last 2 major generational changes in Falcon have been 12 - 18 months behind Commodore, which as you say has left Ford catching up.

If you're going to give an 18 month head start to your major competition, you want to make sure what you bring to the table takes the game another full step forward. They didn't. BA might have, but by the time FG was launched the VE had stolen the march.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying VE was a better CAR than BF, but it was NEWER and if you believe wheels and all the press, the VE DID take the large car game forward.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #82
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm of the firm opinion all levels of government are to blame for the demise of Ford's production in Australia, and the likely demise of Holden and Toyota in the near future. There has been no directive from the Federal Government down to state, local, shire and government departments to support local manufacturers. At any stage over the last 10 years the Federal government could have legislated that any government department or agency must look at purchasing a local product before an imported product, save and except where no local product is available.

With all this talk of free trade and competition, our government is ignoring what governments overseas are doing, that is, supporting their local industry over foreign industries. Ford Australia exported around 100 Territories to Thailand yet we import thousands of Rangers from Thailand. Where's the balance? The US government mandates local industry must be supported before foreign industries, yet in Australia we have heads of government departments buying every model of motor vehicle other than Falcon and Territory. What is it a Subaru Outback or Forrester does that a Territory AWD diesel can't?

It's this lack of patriotism and " I don't give a stuff because it doesn't affect me" attitude that will lead to the demise of the automotive industry in this country.......
3 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #83
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll be happy if they import the Fusion, keep the Geelong plant open and install our great l6 and Miami V8 engines, I know im dreaming
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #84
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim5_0 View Post
So the Commodore came in at number 3 and the similarly sized and featured Falcon is nowhere in that list which begs the question what are Holden doing differently.
This is an important question, here's my take on it.
The large 6 cylinder Car has been a mainstay of working Australia for a long time, those that were the buyes of these products were post war Australians and their children, the baby Boomers. Traditionally bought as mentioned by middle class Australian workers, blue collar and middle management, then when second hand were passed down to the less well off. The baby boomers are now dying off or certainly heading deep into retirement and not buying the cars they used to, leaving the next generations to make their choice as to what they want. smaller families and certainly smaller households with less land and a preference to spend cash on 3 ovens and a microwave and two handbasings and etc, etc than fuel consumption. The working man is also generally better off than ever and is offered a plethora of new exciting models from exotic car manufacturers, something dad never had.
Then Ford offers up very competent cars, cars that Dad would buy, but dad isnt buying cars anymore. But Holden is offering up possibly less competent vehicles but ones which have a flair, style and say something about the owners (marketing). Those young blokes wanting the big 6 or 8 are going to be attracted to the leggy blond swimsuit model not the brunette lawyer!
But the fact is as the large car sales dwindle and they are for many reasons, the last ones standing will be those who have some autonomy from US HQ and build cars people think they want...not need

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #85
white lightning
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd go a V8 2 door Fusion

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ford+fusion&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei= RrehUdXZOsXliAeIrYDYBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1 366&bih=600#tbm=isch&sa=1&q=ford+fusion+coupe+2013 &oq=ford+fusion+coupe&gs_l=img.1.1.0l3j0i5l2j0i24. 15427.17654.0.20338.6.6.0.0.0.0.369.1703.1j0j1j4.6 .0...0.0...1c.1.14.img.yNSb4Sgz1qE&bav=on.2,or.r_q f.&bvm=bv.47008514,d.aGc&fp=f893f7c7581b86c5&biw=1 366&bih=600

http://www.modified ford club.com.au (make sure you remove the gaps first :-) (
white lightning is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #86
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

2014 Falcon is going to have a strong family resemblance to this car...so you will get your wish...sorta...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #87
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't the FUSION a Mondeo, by another name ,in USA ??
Old 26-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #88
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Isn't the FUSION a Mondeo, by another name ,in USA ??
YES it is, at least, until such TIME, the NEW Mondeo goes on sale. I'm pretty sure theyre still producing the old model, or at least when the European unions let them??
Old 27-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #89
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim5_0 View Post
Further to what JPBlue says above, in the 1980s when Ford dropped the V8 they lost a whole generation of buyers who were school kids at the time. Holden will suffer the same fate, it will just take a bit longer, the market has changed forever. Ford's lack of sales would certainly be contributed to by the generation of kids who grew up at that time and would simply never aspire to buying a Ford due to the dark times with no hero car.

Regrrds,
Tote
Old 27-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #90
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde View Post
I'm of the firm opinion all levels of government are to blame for the demise of Ford's production in Australia, and the likely demise of Holden and Toyota in the near future. There has been no directive from the Federal Government down to state, local, shire and government departments to support local manufacturers. At any stage over the last 10 years the Federal government could have legislated that any government department or agency must look at purchasing a local product before an imported product, save and except where no local product is available.

With all this talk of free trade and competition, our government is ignoring what governments overseas are doing, that is, supporting their local industry over foreign industries. Ford Australia exported around 100 Territories to Thailand yet we import thousands of Rangers from Thailand. Where's the balance? The US government mandates local industry must be supported before foreign industries, yet in Australia we have heads of government departments buying every model of motor vehicle other than Falcon and Territory. What is it a Subaru Outback or Forrester does that a Territory AWD diesel can't?

It's this lack of patriotism and " I don't give a stuff because it doesn't affect me" attitude that will lead to the demise of the automotive industry in this country.......
You are living in LaLa Land. It is not the government of a country's responsibility to determine what products a foreign company should sell. Ford Australia has placed all of its eggs in one basket and Australians do not want to buy eggs. AUSTRALIANS DO NOT WANT TO BUY FORD FALCONS OR HOLDEN COMMODORES. Simple. Find a new product that the customer wants or die. The Fleet buy of the Commonwealth should not be the savior of a company that has failed to adapt.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post