Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #61
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Re: Ford announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
Cant handle the torque yet the F6 utes torque is only 5nm less than the 335Kw "GT" engine
It might be at Max torque early in the rev range (like the 335 motor) and that's were the damage comes from. AT the end of the day the 315 is limited by tune alone.

Either way its dumb that they didn't just re badge the GS (not like it needs any engineering in the driveline) as an XR8 ute. The interior and new body would have the engineering done on the 335 motor and I'm sure the rear end on the utes will probably stay the same as current FG.
Old 13-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #62
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

The torque figure is probably fake like the power. After all the F6 gets the 600nm version of the ZF but the GT has the 650nm version.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #63
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would be nice to see a final F6 too … but I’m guessing it’s unlikely since nobody is buying them NEW anymore.
Old 14-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #64
AXR88U

What a load of rubbish. I used to work at Dana & I can tell you that the differential and matched gear set are exactly the same parts between the IRS & live axle units except the IRS differential side gears have a little groove so that the driveshaft circlip can lock into place. And those live axle axles are a whole lot stronger than the IRS driveshaft with the taper down into the CV's & the CV's themselves. The reason the GS ute had 315 was to keep it in line with the GS sedan & also not to take away the prestige from the GT legacy.

And as for production planing excuse thats all crap too. With the way things are done today there are no 2 cars in a row running down the lines, the parts are sequenced to the line as required. Unless there will also be no turbo ute, I cant for the life of think of any thing that could not be sourced from the turbo ute or XR8 sedan to make up the XR8 ute.

The trouble is that there would be some little nurd at the helm busy counting his beans & making these decisions just like when they dropped the V8 with the XE's.

As much as I hate to say it, once the boss290 starts to get a bit long in the tooth I will have to get a bloody SS ute next update (like all those other tools out there).
Old 14-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #65
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon View Post
Global durability?
How so?

Granted the old ox cart rear end setup is ancient. However it's the most robust, reliable and bullet proof kit going. How many owners load em up, flog em and run big hp.

Or is it the quality of the manufactured parts as opposed to the design?
I don't understand.
Modern no, brutally rugged and functional, durable - yes.

What standard is it???
Youve got to be kidding me, the current rubber band diff/bearings cant even handle the power of the I6 without going bang! Let alone 300+Kw and thats just for everyday use, not chucking it down the 1/4 mile! My company has had utes from BA thru to current FG, and replacing these components is something we know will happen-we just have to make sure its done while the cars are under warranty.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 14-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #66
AXR88U

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Youve got to be kidding me, the current rubber band diff/bearings cant even handle the power of the I6 without going bang! Let alone 300+Kw and thats just for everyday use, not chucking it down the 1/4 mile! My company has had utes from BA thru to current FG, and replacing these components is something we know will happen-we just have to make sure its done while the cars are under warranty.
Are you referring to the axle or diff bearings ?

The V8/turbo M86 diffs are a whole lot of diff more than the bred & butter M78's that your referring to.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #67
OwnTheRoad
T Series Club AUST.

Just wondering aloud if this thread has wandered off topic just a little ?
Old 21-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #68
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
Surely it would cost them nothing to have an XR8 ute with the 315 engine if that's all it can handle. It's just Ford being typically clueless and unwilling when it comes to their performance range.
The standard Ute isn't making money anymore - even Holden is discontinuing.
A few sales from some pining forum members won't fill a gap.
How many will actually put their money where their mouth is?

The costs are unjustified.
There were options available through FPV - why didn't people take then up then?
Everybody had their chance.

To many reactionary posts.

A wise decision to have no Ute.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #69
BENSFPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death View Post

News to me that Holden V8 ute is discontinuing I thought that they were selling more. I think that customers have been waiting for Ford V8 like the Pursuits but then they dropped the ball and let everyone down.
BENSFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #70
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENSFPV View Post
News to me that Holden V8 ute is discontinuing I thought that they were selling more. I think that customers have been waiting for Ford V8 like the Pursuits but then they dropped the ball and let everyone down.
There was an article a couple of weeks ago that Holden are killing the Commodore ute in a couple of years.
Old 21-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #71
AXR88U

A couple of years back I was spewing I could not get a new XR8 ute & had to hunt around for the best low k's FG boss ute I could find. Now the FG's getting a bit long in the tooth & a blower would be really nice (without getting slugged with modified vehicle or FPV insurance premiums) my money is definitely where my mouth is & I know a few other tradies that are very keen to upgrade their toy boxes too.
Old 21-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #72
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
Cant handle the torque yet the F6 utes torque is only 5nm less than the 335Kw "GT" engine
Only?

Any idea how much extra 'force' is applied with a differential of only 5nm?

Try this... grab a 1m ruler, now hang just over half a kilo off the end. The force required to keep your arm straight is = 5nm. That's just at that moment with no other factors considered.

;)
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #73
AXR88U

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1 View Post
Only?

Try this... grab a 1m ruler, now hang just over half a kilo off the end. The force required to keep your arm straight is = 5nm. That's just at that moment with no other factors considered.

;)
In the scheme of things 5Nm is nothing with high grade steel components. A piece of fencing wire could hold that torsion you talking about. The diff & matched gearset are pretty much the same for the IRS & live axles, & infact the live axle axles are stronger than the CV shaft set up of the IRS. The 315 in the ute was purely a marketing exercise to not take away from the GT
Old 22-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #74
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXR88U View Post
In the scheme of things 5Nm is nothing with high grade steel components. A piece of fencing wire could hold that torsion you talking about. The diff & matched gearset are pretty much the same for the IRS & live axles, & infact the live axle axles are stronger than the CV shaft set up of the IRS. The 315 in the ute was purely a marketing exercise to not take away from the GT
yeah I wonder whether your piece of fencing wire could also with stand the extra 5nm while under certain loads, gradients etc etc for extended periods of time...?

You should know it's much more complicated than that when it comes to certification.

And I'm not making assumptions as to where the Ute chassis is letting the package down. I am not suggesting it's related to suspension components at all. In fact, I know of much smaller, and what would seem insignificant in cost (to us) make certain things not viable. The cost for the alternative can be some times astronomical when dealing with such low volume.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2013, 03:52 AM   #75
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

Quote:
Only?

;)
Yep i have a fair idea ;)
I worked in R&D for a local car manufacturer back in the early to mid 2000's, also one of my work collegues during those years went on to become one of the leads of Fords powertrain development here in OZ during the FG's development.

Anyway getting sidetracked/off topic now LOL

Last edited by zoomie; 22-11-2013 at 03:58 AM.
zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #76
AXR88U

Quote:
yeah I wonder whether your piece of fencing wire could also with stand the extra 5nm while under certain loads, gradients etc etc for extended periods of time...?

You should know it's much more complicated than that when it comes to certification.

And I'm not making assumptions as to where the Ute chassis is letting the package down. I am not suggesting it's related to suspension components at all. In fact, I know of much smaller, and what would seem insignificant in cost (to us) make certain things not viable. The cost for the alternative can be some times astronomical when dealing with such low volume.
I worked Manuf. Eng. & R&D at BTR/DANA for over 10 years up till 2008. What ive said previously about the diffs is fact. I can also appreciate how the bean counters can kill things as ive seen holden make stupid little changes to save 5c per diff, but I also remember how the XH(EF) ute was not available as an XR8 ute but then the XH2(EL) had an XR8 ute. With the way assembly lines roll now days with no 2 cars the same in a row & I've had a good hard think about it & cant think of anything that could not be sourced from the turbo ute & XR8 sedan. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be an XR8 ute, because i t would probably end up next to my EF XR8 sedan in my toy shed once I finished using it for work.

Last edited by AXR88U; 22-11-2013 at 09:12 AM.
AXR88U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #77
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death View Post

Yeh all good and well, but there will still be an FH ute so why not slap a V8 into it, it won't cost anything extra.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #78
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Dear Sinead Phipps.
I have a ute that I use to park in an open top car park at the airport. It's an FG and it's been great.
Whilst there will be no more V8 utes and you offer as an alternative the ranger, would you guys consider bringing out the F series trucks?
In particular I am after an F-250 Super Duty with the 6.7 litre powerstroke diesel.
I realise I can get them from someone in Victoria, but he is charging over $140K for these things, and $100K for the older 6 litre PSD.
I believe there may be a market for such vehicles, given their extraordinary towing ability. Why, just travel to the rural areas of Australia and these types of vehicles are commonplace.
Whilst I appreciate that other vehicles such as Hummer are available, I and many of my friends who have boats etc and tow vehicles often believe that driving a hummer would be the equivalent to wearing sequins, lipstick and a skirt in gentleman's only bar.

If you and your colleagues at Ford could do a cost benefit analysis and possibly make a dollar from bringing such vehicles to our shores, would you please consider it for those of us who are after something a little more substantial than a 3.2 litre diesel?

Regards,

Paul

Quote: