Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
mud
Pommy Ford tragic

Default Any ST170 owners about?

Hi all,
I just picked up a tidy ST170 last week.
Just wondering if there are any other ST170 owners on board, and also if anyone knows the car?
Cheers,
Mud
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ST SMSP.jpg (108.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 11-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Any ST170 owners about?

Those ST170's are certainly rare in Australia. Your's look pretty tidy.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-10-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Congrats, that looks to be a fine example you've scored. There are a few Car Clubs around that their Member's own these. What precise information are you seeking?

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2020, 11:22 PM   #4
mud
Pommy Ford tragic

Hi Eddie. Just interested to touch base with any other owners. Also I was hoping that the previous owner might be around as I'd love to know more about it's history.
Cheers
Old 21-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
Focmachine

Hi Mud, I've got two ST-170's which I love!
Do you get yours out much? any issues?

My first one is stock @140 000k's and has a blown clutch with an RTS single mass flywheel unit ready to go in once I get organised.
The second one which I drive @263 000 k's has a few goodies on it like miltec exhaust, k+n pod filter, bluefin software and the springs are about 2.5 cm lower than stock, this one is the cocky little car with an obnoxious sound!

There are plenty of ST wreckers in the UK, ST-Breaker (sales@st-breakers.co.uk), cheap Ford parts can be had from the US although there can be differences such as the A/C parts. Carid, Jegs, CFM,
I've had LR and LS Focus' as work cars and an LR LX sedan in the family with 260k on it and they have been very reliable and cheap to run.
Trying to post picks, I'll work it out and put up some pics.
If I can help with anything let me know
Focmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2020, 01:27 PM   #6
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Focmachine, Central Florida Motorsports (CFM) is where I sourced by 4-2-1 Exhaust Manifold.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Old 23-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #7
Focmachine

Hi Fast Eddie, your car sounds great, very neat being an award winner!
I haven’t been out your way for twenty years but there were some nice roads which I hope you take advantage of.
Trying to post some pics of my cars and pictures of some books I’ve found on Focus/ST170, when I try it says the files are too big, will try from a laptop.
I love driving these cars, any excuse to drive some where.
The sure-footedness, direct steering, nice pull in any gear (for a 2.0), the only thing I hate is parking and walking away.
Im still running the stock 6 stacker CD, I just fitted a reconditioned one bought cheap from the UK, no more CD skipping when hitting bumps!
Got the cfm short shifter as well, it will go in when I fit the clutch, totally unnecessary but why not!
Old 23-10-2020, 11:59 AM   #8
Focmachine

ST170 1 test photo post
This is the second car, the kid that owned it put in the bonnet scoops in a cheap bonnet, the original is back in now and the pressure washer took care of the calliper paint, this is the angrier, louder car with 263k's on it.
Added a shot of all cars, 2x ST170 and parts car Zetec manual door.
The engine bay is also second car, kid painted the valve cover in red, had the K=n typoon filter on it and I replaced the coil with msd for no reason.
Miltec heders.

I had to edit the photos and drop the resolution down to post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lowres Foc1.JPG (60.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Lowres foc 3.JPG (81.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Lowres foc2.JPG (57.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Focmachine; 23-10-2020 at 12:10 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #9
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Good to hear, Mate and there's nothing wrong with having a sneaky back at your car!! I sourced my 6 Disc Stacker from a wreck along with most of the suspension and 2 tyres and the 4 wheels as I just love the design they gave them. Reminds me of O.Z.'s. You're spot on with the linear steering. The Ride and Handling is just something the engineers nailed from day 1 i.m.h.o.

Old 23-10-2020, 03:22 PM   #10
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

I don't mind the Bonnet Vents, just sayin' but not a fan of those open intakes/filters. I reckon they're engineered well enough as standard.

Old 23-10-2020, 03:24 PM   #11
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Mud, it must've been fun around Sydney Motorsport Park. What Circuit configuration was used?? I hope it included Turn 1.

Old 23-10-2020, 10:29 PM   #12
ford_17
go djr

Beautiful cars Mud and Focmachine!
I have the Zetec version (cant believe its 16 years old now), have always liked the look of Mk1.5 Focus and want to keep it for ever.
Exactly what colour is the ST170? some people say Imperial Blue, some say Ford Racing Blue. Whatever its called it really suits the ST170.
ford_17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #13
Focmachine

Hi Ford_17,
Zetec was my first Focus, a company car Red 5door manual with the Stability control option.
That was a great driver and the 16” wheels definalty held rough roads better than 17” wheels.
LR/Mk1 is still my favorite Focus model but I’d definatly love to have an XR5, ST or RS.
Whats the go with with your Zetec? Manual?
Old 24-10-2020, 12:39 PM   #14
Focmachine

Hi Fast Eddie, yes the standard filter box is fine, a k+n panel will add a bit more airflow, evident by actually hearing the difference.
I wouldn’t pay @$8-650 for a pod filter.
The vents looked mean but they cut holes in the aftermarket bonnet and then put plates under them to stop water hitting the engine.
Those plates rubbed about 3mm off the chrome air intake pipe so I put the stock stone-chipped bonnet back on.
If you like the look of vents go for fake ones.
But hey the Focus is stylish enough!
Old 24-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #15
Focmachine

Hi Fast Eddie, yes the standard filter box is fine. I like the k+n panel filter , it will add a bit more airflow which you can hear. The 0.01% power increase reminds me of Nissan GTR launch control videos!
Seriously though when I put a panel and iridium spark plugs on Mum’s 85kw LX auto it did have a bit more pep and better throttle response.
I wouldn’t pay @$8-650 for a pod filter.
The vents looked mean but they cut holes in the aftermarket bonnet and then put plates under them to stop water hitting the engine.
Those plates rubbed about 3mm off the chrome air intake pipe so I put the stock stone-chipped bonnet back on.
If you like the look of vents go for fake ones.
But hey the Focus is stylish enough!
Old 26-10-2020, 03:45 PM   #16
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Mate of mine has a Pipercross Viper Intake System on his MkI. Looked a million bucks and I probably should have invested in fitting one but likewise a K&N Filter is suffice so long as it's kept clean.

Old 27-10-2020, 12:43 AM   #17
ford_17
go djr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focmachine View Post
Hi Ford_17,

Whats the go with with your Zetec? Manual?
Hi Focmachine

Its a 1.6 auto, I am in the UK so Zetec may have had different spec, eg mine has 15" wheels. I dont do mods or track days or the like, just potter about mostly so I just live the dream through you guys!

This comment from you earlier...
Quote:
I love driving these cars, any excuse to drive some where.
The sure-footedness, direct steering, nice pull in any gear (for a 2.0), the only thing I hate is parking and walking away.
Yes!! 100% totally agree, my favourite getaway places are the Lake District and the Isle of Skye, lots of twisty mountain roads, the car just loves it, I can literally feel it getting happier the closer we get!

So maybe there is a ST or RS in my future sometime, sounds like everyone who has one loves them!
ford_17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2022, 02:00 AM   #18
Focmachine

Hi again Mud, Ive got a tiktok if your on that @ST170inaus I missed your posted picture before it looks outstanding! How’s it been going for you?
Old 06-03-2023, 10:20 PM   #19
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Hi Mud,

Picked one up from Vic at the start of covid for about $1200. Spent a few weeks fixing her up and putting stock parts back on. currently still working on it, needs a few more mechanical issues recitified but hopefully getting it registered again soon. Then off for a complete repaint as the paints faded.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post