Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
Ford4ever01
Starter Motor

Default Focus 1.5l ecoboost engine issue/recall?

Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue with the 1.5l ecoboost engine

It seems that there is a slight water leak in cylinder one.
After reading service bulletin from the states and some reports in the UK, this has been a common fault in the block. Some cars even catching on fire.

The report from the UK said customers were given refunds.

Any other info out there what Ford Australia are doing.
Ford4ever01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #2
Envi_XR8

Default Re: Focus 1.5l ecoboost engine issue/recall?

Is this the 3 cylinder version or the 4 cylinder version 1.5lt
SY Mk II TTG ,2017 LZ Focus Sport ,BA G220 MkII in Blaze ,98 EL Futura ,BA MkII XR8 ,EL II XR8 185kw, 98 EL Fairmont Ghia and SY Territory Turbo
Envi_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #3
Ford4ever01
Starter Motor

It is the 4 cylinder version
Beleive it is the short block
Ford4ever01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

no problem with our focus
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #5
Envi_XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford4ever01 View Post
It is the 4 cylinder version
Beleive it is the short block
No worries I have the 3 cylinder and was going to question the dealer about it when it goes in later this week 👍🏻
SY Mk II TTG ,2017 LZ Focus Sport ,BA G220 MkII in Blaze ,98 EL Futura ,BA MkII XR8 ,EL II XR8 185kw, 98 EL Fairmont Ghia and SY Territory Turbo
Envi_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2020, 09:13 PM   #6
GTMOND

I have been contacting Ford to try and find more out. I believe my wife's LZ is just starting to have this issue. Using a bit of coolant, and a slight miss for a little time on first start up after sitting over night. I have done quite a bit of searching the issue, and Ford have a replacement Short motor with an updated block. So they would know there's an issue, otherwise you wouldn't need to update the engine block. I was quoted $1420 for the short motor, and $5200 for the long engine. I'm yet to decide what to do yet.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-11-2022, 09:17 AM   #7
Jetsterp
Starter Motor

I also have a 2015/2016 LZ Focus 1.5l and it has just started to show signs of this problem. Runs find when warm but misfiring on cold starts and losing coolant. After doing some research, I'm convinced coolant is getting into the cylinder and it is because of the terrible design flaw on these engines.

I called ford and raised the issue and they said there are no service bulletins or recall notices for the car. SURELY THEY KNOW ABOUT THE ISSUE. They can't look at it for a few months though because they are fully booked.

I'm not sure what to do. I think I'm at the point that I'm going to offload the thing for a huge loss. It is practically worthless to me now.
Jetsterp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2023, 10:00 PM   #8
Kugaecofail
Starter Motor

Hi guys. We have a Ford Kuga 1.5L Ecoboost. Also having coolant loss and engine misfire issue. Love to chat about it with anyone else having issues. We also have an Australian fb page⁴ going on, to help gather info to fight ford Australia for assistance.
Kugaecofail is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post