Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Trump 2020 - Make The Hippies CRY Again

I love the fact that the Yanks exercised their democratic right to elect a President of their Choosing.

But mostly what I love is the how of why it happened, and why its was such a huge shock to the pundits.

Unlike most, I have taken the time to read a lot about what happened and why. Most of it written by reputable, moderate, journalists.

Contrary to popular misconception, Trump wasn't elected by rednecks. Sure, the "red states" voted red, but that was never going to be enough, which is why his defeat was widely anticipated.

Trump won, by gutting the Democrat heartland. What has now come to be referred to as the "Rust Belt".
I have read some very interesting articles, quoting a diverse group of registered democrats, people who had voted democrat their whole lives, who turned and voted for Trump.

These people were sick of the years of broken promises, first under Clinton, and then under Obama. They watched their factories, jobs, towns, and communities go into deeper and deeper decline.

And the crazy thing is, they may just do it again.
To them, Trump is seen as somebody that keeps his promises, and for taking on China they see him as a hero.

There is something about this that resonates deeply with me.
I should be a Labor voter. I believe in creating and protecting Australian jobs. But I feel the Labor party has sold out the Australian worker for a bag of magic beans.

PS: I must also confess that I love that being seen to support Trump, winds the Greens supporters into apoplectic knots.