Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
Pepi69
PEPI69

Default Irs Conversion Question

Howdy,

Apologies for putting this in the wrong section :togo:

I'm able to get my hands on an entire IRS set up from an AU3 xr6 for free - it's all cleaned diff reconditioned new bushes etc - am I able to swap this set up into my au2 that has live axle set up? If it's just a straight bolt on - the only thing I'll need to get will be a rear castor/camber gear......

thanks

Old 22-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Like any sort of conversion it's not a case of if you can but how hard/how much $ do you have...

Also,
don't do it - it's not worth it.
Old 22-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if no one pipes up perhaps talk to ferntree gully auto salvage , one of the site sponsors, i`m sure they would have been asked this question before.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
MAD
Petro-sexual

If it can be done to an E-Series (which it has been a few times) then it can be done on the model it came from.

You will need to remove the watts link mounting points and replace a panel under the boot with one for the IRS unit.
Old 22-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Why would you want to add an extra 80kg of rear end for not much gain?
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't be sure but i am pretty sure you will will find that it should bolt up as they use the same mounting points. I can't remember who or where i saw this but i think they made them this way in order to be able to fit irs (option on lower models) without any hassle.

Cheers, Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

for the love of god DON'T! I've had so much effing trouble with it I even wrote a guide hahahaha
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
for the love of god DON'T! I've had so much effing trouble with it I even wrote a guide hahahaha
yep if it aint broke don't fix it. new mustangs (2005 and on) went back to live axle because less weight,stronger,cheaper to maintain and 99% as good, why would you bother
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #9
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

IRS makes the rear handle alot better than any live axle rear, as both rear wheels are working independently, rather than together.

As for the change over. It depends on the $ factor and the patience factor

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
T3man
Banned

It is not a bolt-in job. Much underbody panel work has to be done and it simply isn't worth it. You can just go buy a car with IRS.

And I am a big fan of the Ford Watts link rear end over almost any other for weight, cost and effectiveness ... yet there is absolutely no way it comes near the AU IRS. I have driven Jags, Mercs and BMWs (amongst others) and I can assure you the AU IRS is right up there, and even better than most of them. It leaves the "control blade" and any Holden swing arm style lagging far far behind.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 12:46 AM   #11
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've currently got my IRS cradle out of the car at the moment, I'll grab some pics of the mounts for you. Also, removing the cradle is no fun, let alone replacing it.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 02:14 AM   #12
Bam
XB,XF,ZL,EA,EL,BA,SY,SZII

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on Air bag installation. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
And I am a big fan of the Ford Watts link rear end over almost any other for weight, cost and effectiveness ...
Which is consistent with Ford's reluctance to go IRS even under intense motoring journo criticism until years after their competitors did. Their competitors of course (well Holden at least) botched their early designs.

Is there something wrong with the handling of an AUII XR6 to justify all this work? My EL XR8's handling was excellent.

Last edited by Bam; 23-02-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Bam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #13
T3man
Banned

AUII XRs have IRS standard don't they? I think he has a base model.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
Pepi69
PEPI69

Gentlemen,

thank you for the replies - I think it may be worth just keeping with what I have got - I't not really that bad having one wheel in the air going up the driveway.....stiff suspension.

Old 23-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #15
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
AUII XRs have IRS standard don't they? I think he has a base model.

Only HP XR6's came with live rear for the AU's. Anything VCT had IRS and the V8's in the high end models, Fairmont Ghias, and Fairlanes.
Old 16-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #16
Watermelon71
Starter Motor

Default Re: Irs Conversion Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6 View Post

hey anyone got a link to the irs conversion cant seem to find the guide that grandpa_spec done
Watermelon71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2018, 10:41 PM   #17
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Irs Conversion Question

Mate there are 2 different body types with different mounting points for IRS and non-IRS.

Basically, it cant be done without having it engineered. Forget it.
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post