Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default A quick afternoon review of a Ranger XLT loan vehicle

Just sharing my thoughts on an afternoon in a brand new Ranger XLT so please excuse the indulgence.

Due to warranty work on our Territory last Friday I was given a Ranger XLT with just 242km as a loan vehicle.
I thought I’d share my thoughts on having had it for the afternoon from the perspective of a Territory owner, someone who hasn't driven a Ranger in over a year (an XLS) and even then it was for 10km in total. I might consider one down the track if we don’t want keep our second a van anymore.

This Ranger was a 2.0L 10-speed 4x4 auto with all the safety tech. It still had the protective cover on the screen.
The first thing I came across when setting up my seating position and mirror angles was lack of a steering wheel telescope ability. I knew it doesn’t feature it but it’s an automatic response to get comfortable when in a vehicle for the very first time, I feel it’s a bad omission even if not all competitors offer it. There is no excuse to not providing the best driving position and adjustability at all itmes.
Secondly, I didn’t feel like I was sitting exactly behind the steering wheel and more to the right of it although I soon forgot this. (Territory excells in this area over many cars)

On first take-off onto a 80km/hr zoned highway I discovered (imho) the 2.0L sounds crap but more surprisingly didn’t have the urgency I expected. Bear in mind I had just driven our Terry with 30,000km on it immediately before while the XLT still had under 300km and diesels usually take a fair bit to fully loosen up. The auto changes were generally smooth although occasionally it downshifted in such a way I noticed it and felt it wasn’t as smooth as the 6 speed auto in our Territory.

Having all the safety tech was great and for those that feel it might not be necessary, it’s the first time you have one of these features kick in and you think, “yeah sure I have lived without them for my 36 years of driving so why do I need it now" however driving life is safer when they are present and especially for those still gaining driving experience. Even in my case with the Ranger on this day, with no-one initially in front of me, a driver cut into my lane, braked hard and took the exit lane into the service road of the highway just as I was looking down at the heater controls. The collision alert kicked it, I’m not sure it auto braked as it happened so fast and I lifted off the throttle, but I saw the red alert appear on the dash and it immediately drew my attention back to outside the windscreen. So 36 years of safe motoring and I still got caught out.

On cruise the Ranger was quiet, the auto reverse parking was fun to play with especially as this thing with tow bar is over 5.4m long so over 50cm longer than our SZ. It takes a bit of nerve to trust the front bumper isn’t going to clip the rear of the car in front as it swings back and in although I can see down the track with experience I wouldn’t use it as I’d park faster unassisted.

I’m assuming the next Ranger will gain a more upmarket interior considering the US market is now involved, although based on Ford US interiors of late I hope the US have more influence over this than the European and Asian divisions. I’m sure the Aussie designers here won’t let us down, and please, please, please make sure a standard Australian pallet can fit between the wheel arches. Rear leg room is OK, I’m 5’10” and obviously and only a F-150 sized vehicle is going to offer anything better in a ute body.

I guess many Australians are switching from cars to utes like the Ranger and while I can understand why I’m actually not fully sold on them yet. If you’re coming from say a Territory the Ranger isn’t a step up in driving experience, refinement, comfort or protected interior load space. And yes it’s not meant to be however it will be interesting to see what the next all-new model offers and whether it will have any variants that try to draw in some of these potential customers better.

For me to love the Ranger in the way I’d spend money to buy one I would want a more refined powertrain, more urgency and so a V6 diesel would be my minimum and a petrol/hybrid interesting. I’m ok with the interior space and expect an improvement of the interior design with the next model. What you lose in a secure cargo area of an SUV the sliding rear cover of the ute helps a little however load height with cover closed is naturally less than say a Territory and potential water entry a problem.

One thing this drive did reinforce to me was if we could have squeezed out one more major upgrade of the Territory in the way Holden went from VE to VF and then gained all the safety tech now available from the Ford empire as well as Sync3 I would have been as happy as a pig in high quality mud.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: A quick afternoon review of a Ranger XLT loan vehicle

Yeah Ranger is a great package, best in the business. just hate the diesel engine (we run BT-50s at work). If it had the 5.0 V8 it would make me interested. Or a decent petrol hybrid would be tops. Fantastic utes though, jumping out of a BT-50 into a Ranger is like going ahead 10 years even though they are based on the same platform.

Ford has done really well keeping Ranger fresh and cutting edge.

Last edited by Brazen; 23-10-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I've used them at work, i'm 6'5" and the seating position is woeful, knees around my stomach. Amarok though, it's just that much better. I do like all the tech in the Ranger and with weight in the back it rides well.
Old 23-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even the EA Falcon had telescopic steering wheel as well as rear vents for that matter...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #5
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Yeah Ranger is a great package, best in the business. just hate the diesel engine (we run BT-50s at work). If it had the 5.0 V8 it would make me interested. Or a decent petrol hybrid would be tops. Fantastic utes though, jumping out of a BT-50 into a Ranger is like going ahead 10 years even though they are based on the same platform.

Ford has done really well keeping Ranger fresh and cutting edge.
I'm hoping one benefit of having Ranger sold in the US will be the constatnt updates demanded of that market.
Old 23-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #6
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
I've used them at work, i'm 6'5" and the seating position is woeful, knees around my stomach. Amarok though, it's just that much better. I do like all the tech in the Ranger and with weight in the back it rides well.
It will be interesting to see how a Ford led team developing Ranger/Amarok translates into actual vehicles for both brands.
Old 23-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

it's not a territory but the 2.0 pulls fine for me. it does take some time for the adaptive stuff to learn fully, but I regularly pull away from the lights ahead of everyone else
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #8
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
it's not a territory but the 2.0 pulls fine for me. it does take some time for the adaptive stuff to learn fully, but I regularly pull away from the lights ahead of everyone else
To true..I guess what surprised me was the Ranger weighs about the same (?) or less, has more power and torque plus 4 more gears....could be it just sounds louder and no where near as smooth as the V6 under heavy load.
Old 23-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #9
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
jumping out of a BT-50 into a Ranger is like going ahead 10 years even though they are based on the same platform.
Mazda didn't take all the updates from PX2 so even though they nominally share the platform they are quickly diverging. EPAS makes a huge difference to the two cars
2 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #10
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post

As a territory owner, the next upgrade will likely be Kluger or if funds permit a LandCruiser
I reckon the old Territory drives better than the latest Kluger, they are like a barge. Plus the Kluger has 6 monthly servicing. I’d take a Mazda CX-9 or surprisingly the Holden Acadia. Acadia was a real surprise packet when I drove it - would happily buy one.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #11
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Everest is a makeshift attempt at a Suv to save on manufacturing costs using the ranger as a common base.
ah yeah, no. Everest is not a makeshift anything, let alone some sort of stopgap replacement for Territory. In fact is specifically is NOT a Territory replacement and that has been said many, many times on this Forum and elsewhere. It is a completely different car for a different market segment.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
The ford territory is a great car. With Aus manufacturing ending I think ford were scurrying around to replace the territory.

The ranger is a nice ute but it's just way off the territory for comfort, space or drivetrain.

The Everest is a makeshift attempt at a Suv to save on manufacturing costs using the ranger as a common base.

As a territory owner, the next upgrade will likely be Kluger or if funds permit a LandCruiser
What relevance does that have to a thread about the Ranger hulk?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: