Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
barra265t
Banned

Default Wiring diagram FG and BA cluster

Hi, does anyone have or know where I can find the pinouts for the plugs on an FG cluster and also for a BA cluster. I've searched the technical documents section with no success

Last edited by barra265t; 21-03-2011 at 05:24 PM.
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
barra265t
Banned

Default Re: Wiring diagram FG and BA cluster

Took the plunge and plugged the FG cluster into a BA. Turns out they are electrically compatible.

Was able to get an odometer and trip meter reading immediately when plugging in. With car off, the headlight symbol would work. When the car started, 'Ford' came up on the LCD screen, a red exclamation mark symbol flashed once and what appears to be an airbag warning light was on constant flicker, along with the cluster illumination. Temperature Gauge and Tacho worked with the car running. LCD turned blank, indicators didn't work, fuel gauge on empty, speedo stuck on zero. and my ICC color screen was switched off for some reason.
Old 22-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Its the wrong section of the forum, but I'm interested to see if you get this working properly and what it took to do this!
Old 22-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Paxton
Cobblers!

Your Cluster and ICC are hard wired into the computer system of he car, and need to be 'mated' (for want of a better term) at Ford. Whether or not this gets the FG cluster to work in a BA/BF is another matter altogether.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Your Cluster and ICC are hard wired into the computer system of he car, and need to be 'mated' (for want of a better term) at Ford. Whether or not this gets the FG cluster to work in a BA/BF is another matter altogether.
oh ok. Thanks for the info, do you work at Ford or something? Interestingly I think the plugs on an FG ICC look awfully similar to those on the BA/BF ICC, but I will need to view them side by side.

I was once told the BA/BF/FG BEM is identical.. is this true?

'Computer system of the car'.. isn't this basically the wiring of the car within the cabin with all its modules [RCM (airbag), BEM, HIM (heater box), ICC, Cluster) that run the cabin/electrics. I would have thought the engine bay wiring is sort of another circuit with basic info being sent to the cabin from the PCM. What makes me curious is that BF+ interior electrics are backward compatible with the original BA. BF underwent a major PCM/wiring change under the hood to Spanish Oak architecture from Black Oak architecture (BA), without needing major revision to the cabin electronics. And AFAIK, the FG runs the same Spanish Oak architecture (BF) or a revision of it.

Last edited by barra265t; 22-03-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 22-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
auMatt
ORSM Ford Cruisers

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Matt's valued contributions in the technical area associated with AU/BA/BF & Terri instrument clusters & ICC's is considered the authoritative guide to work by members in this are of expertise. His contributions stand alone in the forum in this technical  

The cluster won't work because it needs to be linked to the bem. The b series clusters didn't need this. The actual wiring is similar to a b series but with some variances. I also think the cluster uses a different style of can bus compared to a b series.

Matt

Contact me for all your Cluster Programming/Repairs & Window switch/ICC colour change for BA/BF/FG Falcons & Territory. Visit my SITE for info.

I Use and Recommend :
Ferntree Gully Auto Salvage
AutoWorks - Keilor
RIP Craig
RIP Samantha
auMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by auMatt
The cluster won't work because it needs to be linked to the bem. The b series clusters didn't need this. The actual wiring is similar to a b series but with some variances. I also think the cluster uses a different style of can bus compared to a b series.

Matt
Cheers auMatt. Can you tell me if the FG BEM has the same plugs as a BA/BF BEM? Also, what is actually responsible for 'creating' the CAN bus in the BA/BF? Is it the combination of modules hooked up within the cabin, or does any of it originate within the engine bay (PCM)?
Old 22-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
auMatt
ORSM Ford Cruisers

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Matt's valued contributions in the technical area associated with AU/BA/BF & Terri instrument clusters & ICC's is considered the authoritative guide to work by members in this are of expertise. His contributions stand alone in the forum in this technical  

No idea about the BEM but I would assume its different. All the modules talk across 2 different CAN Bus. There is a High and Medium speed bus if I remember correctly in the FG. There is no originating device for the CAN bus.

Matt

Contact me for all your Cluster Programming/Repairs & Window switch/ICC colour change for BA/BF/FG Falcons & Territory. Visit my SITE for info.

I Use and Recommend :
Ferntree Gully Auto Salvage
AutoWorks - Keilor
RIP Craig
RIP Samantha
auMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by auMatt
No idea about the BEM but I would assume its different. All the modules talk across 2 different CAN Bus. There is a High and Medium speed bus if I remember correctly in the FG. There is no originating device for the CAN bus.

Matt
Thanks again Matt, much appreciated. The High and Medium speed bus run along the same 2 wires (CAN H and CAN L), or do they have seperate wiring?
Old 22-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
oh ok. Thanks for the info, do you work at Ford or something? Interestingly I think the plugs on an FG ICC look awfully similar to those on the BA/BF ICC, but I will need to view them side by side.
Nope. I just absorb information.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2015, 07:32 PM   #11
bigmat
Big Mat

I have gone a bit troppo I am fitting a complete fg g6e interior into my xf panelvan. I know that I will have problems with the fault codes for many non existent sensors and functions. I am running a old school big block v8 so it doesn't need any ecu.
I was hoping that the engine control was almost unnecessary for the bem icc cluster etc to operate.
Time will tell I guess.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:13 AM   #12
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmat View Post
I have gone a bit troppo I am fitting a complete fg g6e interior into my xf panelvan. I know that I will have problems with the fault codes for many non existent sensors and functions. I am running a old school big block v8 so it doesn't need any ecu.
I was hoping that the engine control was almost unnecessary for the bem icc cluster etc to operate.
Time will tell I guess.
The speed signal would be a CANBUS message from the ABS-unit to the cluster, and the rev-counter would be a CANBUS message from the PCM to the cluster. An electronics guru could probably configure CANBUS emulators to send some of the packages to the cluster, but it will not be an easy DIY wiring job, and without it I believe the cluster will be 'dead' and with check engine light on, etc.
Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #13
chinamonty

The cluster reports its serial number during start up but I am not sure whether it requires an 'answer' before it works. Next time I catch up with people who used to work at Continental I will see if anyone knows. I have lost contact with the guy who did the circuit for the Ford clusters though.
chinamonty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2018, 12:41 PM   #14
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread is 3 years old, well done ole china
Old 24-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #15
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #16
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

thread might've been 3 years old, but its been a thought provoking thing for me....
Old 22-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #17
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone's still subscribed to this thread, my problem is:
Have put a floor-shift cluster (XR50) into a column-shift ute and am getting the TRANSMISSION NOT IN PARK message, with Park well and truly selected.
Why wouldn't the pin-outs etc be the same??
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #18
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All fixed - 'column shift' needs to be selected, via scan tool

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: