Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-10-2019, 09:39 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Fines Victoria crisis deepens, leaving massive hole in state budget

Quote:
Fines Victoria crisis deepens, leaving massive hole in state budget

Victoria’s system for collecting fines is failing on a massive scale, leaving a hole of nearly $330 million in the state’s finances.

The software system used by Fines Victoria to collect court fines and infringements for parking, red-light camera and speeding offences does not work, leading to a massive backlog of infringement notices that cannot be enforced by the Department of Justice.

Authorities insist that the fines system is still functioning and that the onus remains on users to pay their fines, even if they have not received reminder notices.
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/v...sMT3mrx8M3i1WI

I thought it was about safety, not revenue?

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2019, 09:43 PM   #2
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fines Victoria crisis deepens, leaving massive hole in state budget

What’s new about governments running down systems and endless patches finally crashing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #3
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is it there are so many stories of governments and the problems they get into when they replace or "upgrade" their software in their departments. Obviously it's not as easy as walking into Officeworks, grabbing a MS office voucher and running home to install it however it always seems as though the vendor over states their product abilities, issues pop up during transition and it's the government that covers the extra costs. It never seems as though the governement signs a deal where they don't carry any liability.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Why is it there are so many stories of governments and the problems they get into when they replace or "upgrade" their software in their departments. Obviously it's not as easy as walking into Officeworks, grabbing a MS office voucher and running home to install it however it always seems as though the vendor over states their product abilities, issues pop up during transition and it's the government that covers the extra costs. It never seems as though the governement signs a deal where they don't carry any liability.
Has any IT infrastructure project EVER gone smoothly? That whole industry is built on over promise and under deliver, I wish I could sell people unicorns at work then throw my hands up in the air when it doesn't work
Old 24-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Without wishing to generalise, most Government agencies are ill-equipped to handle major IS transitions but I've witnessed this first hand and can say that ..

1. The handful of major rip-off merchants big vendors who operate in this project space are very good at overselling their capabilities and under-delivering their services while milking the dollar at a rate that is mind-boggling. It should be noted that this is not unique to them or Government projects but these big 'public money' failures get media attention.

2. Most agencies go into these projects under-prepared and with no real idea of just what is involved. Having said that, I was involved in one where the agency spent 18 months preparing; were very clear on the desired outcomes and well led by their management but the vendor(s) still couldn't deliver and several million went down the toilet.

It is possible to get a good outcome but you need a very clearly defined SoW; leadership willing to drive the vendor hard and a willingness to stop the money flow if clearly defined milestones aren't met.

The bit that really surprises me is that the same handful of vendors keep failing very publicly and for big $$ but always seem to be able to win new projects where the rest of us would be out of business.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

when they remove the fines revenue from their budgets, that's the day I will believe the States give a **** about road safety
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That might explain why last weekend there were cop cars pointing their lasers at EVERY on ramp on the M1. Saw 3 cars get nabbed at 7am in the morning.

The "marked" cars are also getting more stealthy in looks. You can't see they are police cars unless up close.

Have also seen people get nabbed on the eastern freeway by unmarked cars which were hiluxes and vans.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The unmarked commercials would be easy to spot - pov spec, observing the road rules!
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #9
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

really? I see popo commit just as many traffic offences as the rest of us.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
That might explain why last weekend there were cop cars pointing their lasers at EVERY on ramp on the M1. Saw 3 cars get nabbed at 7am in the morning.

The "marked" cars are also getting more stealthy in looks. You can't see they are police cars unless up close.

Have also seen people get nabbed on the eastern freeway by unmarked cars which were hiluxes and vans.
Yep they were out in force last night all over Bulla in Melbourne's NW suburbs.
Old 24-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #11
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Why is it there are so many stories of governments and the problems they get into when they replace or "upgrade" their software in their departments.
Sometimes it's corruption sometimes ignorance.

I worked for CSIRO many moons ago. We had the best it infrastructure in the country. The people who ran it were incredibly dedicated and skilled. Nothing ever went wrong and if you had a problem it got sorted asap. Then the big wigs in canberra got into bed with microsoft. Internal politics, gradual transition to MS servers from unix. People left (and got huge pay rises) the system fell apart and certain ex managers got cushy jobs with microsoft and others had remarkably well funded lives the sources of which were not at all clear.

Qld health instituted a new payroll system which cost 100's of millions and failed. Big scandal. What you never heard was that queensland rail although a much smaller organisation actually had a more complex pay system, more awards and variations than qld health. I spoke to one of the blokes in the payroll section, he told me that had offered to do it for a few mill and it would have worked first time, but IBM got the contract (somehow) and the rest is history. QR was the most broken place I've ever worked, but at least we always had the small comfort of knowing we would only ever be the second most hopeless department in the state...

Autodesk (cad software) realised in the early 90's that the people who make purchase decisions are often not the technical staff. Instead of appealing to the end user or it staff they employed slick suited salesmen to smooze management. Management bought the product and everyone else was stuck with it. SAP (and others) do the same thing. 9/10 SAP installations are basically unusable, but management "egos" are bigger than their brains. Trouble is they leave for their next debacle before the company goes bankrupt...
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #12
marty351
Shenanigans..............

And all the while the politicians vote themselves a much deserved pay rise.

And what do we say?

marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley
really? I see popo commit just as many traffic offences as the rest of us.
Love it when they put the lights on to run red lights, then get 100 metres up the road and switch the lights back off again.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2019, 06:14 PM   #14
roKWiz
Cabover nut

With all that new freeway netting all over the place, the cops have nowhere to hide now. That must be a big blow.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #15
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Love it when they put the lights on to run red lights, then get 100 metres up the road and switch the lights back off again.
you do realise can respond without the disco lights & music
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2019, 07:24 PM   #16
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So this is actually proof that the fines are actually revenue raising if there is a huge hole!!!!!!!!!!

What the **** are they doing fining people at 7am in the morning while were all trying to drive to ****ing work????
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2019, 11:26 PM   #17
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
With all that new freeway netting all over the place, the cops have nowhere to hide now. That must be a big blow.
I thought the same thing between Geelong and Melbourne. There’s still plenty of spots for them to hide, and sometimes they just hide in plain sight.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2019, 11:26 PM   #18
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I've only seen it at 5:55pm, the lights turn off just before they turn into the street that the police station is on. I like going home too, but come on.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2019, 02:51 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
you do realise can respond without the disco lights & music
Yeah, but don't tell me there aren't times when putting the lights on to go through red lights isn't a "bit convenient".
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #20
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Human nature is that there's always a occasional fool in every employment field, it would be like claiming all engine builders are masters at their craft, some just think they are,

Having said that, I don't think there's 1 person in Australia believes speed cameras are here to save lives and not earn governments revenue. Mind you I love nsw marked speed camera cars, if you get a fine after passing signs warning cameras ahead or you miss the marked car with the flashing yellow lights you probably deserve it.

Like all modern developments, it's about technology being created to remove the human element and reduce costs, no different to ATMs and self serve checkouts, reduced costs, higher profit / income.

Same will happen when electric vehicles become the norm, the governments will find a new way to get their lost tax dollars off us once fuel taxes drop.
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 25-10-2019, 10:10 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Human nature is that there's always a occasional fool in every employment field, it would be like claiming all engine builders are masters at their craft, some just think they are,

Having said that, I don't think there's 1 person in Australia believes speed cameras are here to save lives and not earn governments revenue. Mind you I love nsw marked speed camera cars, if you get a fine after passing signs warning cameras ahead or you miss the marked car with the flashing yellow lights you probably deserve it.

Like all modern developments, it's about technology being created to remove the human element and reduce costs, no different to ATMs and self serve checkouts, reduced costs, higher profit / income.

Same will happen when electric vehicles become the norm, the governments will find a new way to get their lost tax dollars off us once fuel taxes drop.
What warning signs? They don't do that in Victoria.

Mind you, can spot them from a mile away when there is a new SUV parked on the side of the road, or the cameras under the signs on the Western Ring Road, or in the Burnley Tunnel
Old 25-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #22
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
What warning signs? They don't do that in Victoria.

Mind you, can spot them from a mile away when there is a new SUV parked on the side of the road, or the cameras under the signs on the Western Ring Road, or in the Burnley Tunnel
You need to re read that I think ....

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 25-10-2019, 10:18 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
You need to re read that I think ....
Oops - NSW!

Anyway, you know what I love about speed cameras?

They don't pick you up for driving illegally modified cars, tint being too dark or using your phone while you drive and they don't even get you for speeding when you know where they all are

I'm all for the human element being removed because it creates more opportunity for me to get away with doing the wrong thing.
Old 25-10-2019, 10:24 PM   #24
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Think nsw are now trialling a camera which will pick up mobile phone

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 25-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
They certainly are - but it has to be mounted on a bridge and when you know which bridge it is, its no problem

If they were really worried about phone use while driving it would be more than the 4 points and the few hundred bucks it is if you get done for it.

Smells like revenue.
Old 25-10-2019, 10:31 PM   #26
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Yep, on trials they caught 1 in 8 drivers on their mobiles. I can’t wait for it, should be a minimum 1k fine and loss of licence.

I’ve never understood all this whinging about cops and speed cameras. I’ve been driving modified fast cars for 16 years and never had an issue. Just follow the rules, and if you don’t, make sure you choose the right spot, simples
Old 25-10-2019, 10:43 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Another good one is the nominate a driver to take the points - or just pay the $3000 fine if you get caught speeding in company vehicles:

Quote:
Under the laws, companies that get a fine do not have to tell Victoria Police who was driving at the time of the infringement, if they pay the $3,000.

This compares to paying around $300 if they do say who was driving.

The commissioner's data-crunching found that in the last two financial years, companies paid off more than 50,000 inflated fines and did not disclose the driver as a result.

Of those infringements, 4,280 drivers would have lost their licences automatically if they had been identified.

Commissioner John Voyage said it was clear this avoidance was intentional.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-...fines/11541316

Which they're having a sook about people willing to pay the $3000 fine

Its cheaper for the company to pay $3000 a hit rather than lose productivity on their staff losing licenses and being stuck in the office (or losing their jobs).

Quote:
In one case, one single company vehicle paid off 31 loss-of-licence events in the two-year period.

That amounts to $93,000 in fines.
I guess their $93,000 payday now equals $0 when the system stops working

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 25-10-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old 25-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #28
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Another good one is the nominate a driver to take the points - or just pay the $3000 fine if you get caught speeding in company vehicles:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-...fines/11541316

Which they're having a sook about people willing to pay the $3000 fine

Its cheaper for the company to pay $3000 a hit rather than lose productivity on their staff losing licenses and being stuck in the office (or losing their jobs).

I guess their $93,000 payday now equals $0 when the system stops working

My old boss used to exactly that. He would always speed in his clubby and when the fine came in he would just nominate ‘unknown driver’ and pay the higher fine. Probably tax deductible too
Govts don’t care because it increases their revenue whilst reducing their workload.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2019, 12:09 AM   #29
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's disgraceful that any government budgets on revenue from traffic offences to this extent. Hundreds of millions of dollars.

And by the way you Mexicans **** me off driving around here slow
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #30
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Speed cameras were great for me. I used to get booked all the time for speeding when I wasn't. They would assume because I was driving my torana or on my motorcycle that I must be doing something wrong so I got done. Once speed cameras took over I only get done when I'm actually over the limit which is almost never. I got more speeding tickets in 5 years in the 90's than I've had in the last 20 years.

But as I've said previously it's so much easier to build a case based on the data that mass anti speeding campaigns increase the road toll than reduce it, but no one cares about the data. No one cares about real solutions. People only care about religious wars...
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post