Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Hydrogen .... Believe it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Hydrogen? No thanks.

I think thats why Hydrogen is stored at -270 degrees, which stops that problem.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #32
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_torq View Post
LNG will eventually become the fuel of trucks in this country, that will require infrastructure changes. If it can be done with LNG along the highways and hydrogen in the city..

Highway to Shell
Excellent news....Finally they're getting serious about a fuel we already have mountains of and should be fairly cheap too!

If I had some spare cash I would look into some Shell shares or LNG supplier shares of some sort too?
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #33
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LNG will eventually become the fuel of trucks in this country, that will require infrastructure changes. If it can be done with LNG along the highways and hydrogen in the city..

Highway to Shell
It seems US trucking is CNG requiring massive tanks.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #34
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LNG is 'Liquid Natural Gas' so like LPG they can store much more fuel in whatever tanks they..... Range with CNG is pathetic.
Old 27-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #35
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Highway to Shell
Assuming LPG autogas disappearing will an LPI system be able to use LNG ?.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 27-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #36
timeout

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Same problems as CNG......Need to be stored at VERY LOW temps.....and tanks are quite heavy due to insulation being required....

LPG doesn't need either of these and we already have hundreds of pumps installed nation wide!
Beat me too it... Cng is a pain in the **** let alone trying to find a decent cost filling station for end user use.
timeout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #37
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go have a quiet look at the size of the fuel tank that was actually in that 7 series BMW...you know, they V12 that could only put out the power of a six cylinder because of the very low energy content of hydrogen gas?

So many technical issues, so much cost, so many problems using an energy-negative fuel such as hydrogen (takes more power to produce the stuff than is contained in the end product).

Until massive technical breakthroughs are made in storage and production, it's a dream, or just something to interest people who think there are simple answers to the fuel question.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #38
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^so why are they asking for the infrastructure rollout?.
Merc BS?.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 27-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #39
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No idea. Probably won't be anything to do with passenger vehicles though. As I said, the fuel tank in the BMW...it took up most of where the back seat should be and half the boot...it was huge, and heavily insulated as it had to be to contain the cold fuel.
I never said that hydrogen couldn't be used in an internal combustion engine...it's just hopelessly inefficient as a fuel source.

I would hazard a guess that they're trying to access some of the billions floating around for anyone willing to use the word "green energy" in the title of their proposal...?
Old 27-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #40
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Turbine_Car
.. Had these things running in 1963 and would run on almost any combustible liquid without mucking about .. See President of Mexico running his on tequila. Why mucking about with things like hydrogen when this technology already exists and could be "upgraded" to modern specifications?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #41
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Turbine_Car
.. Had these things running in 1963 and would run on almost any combustible liquid without mucking about .. See President of Mexico running his on tequila. Why mucking about with things like hydrogen when this technology already exists and could be "upgraded" to modern specifications?
No real issue with turbines...except for the massive amounts of heat generated by them (as an engine and from the exhaust), and the prodigious fuel thirst. The heat is a fun one...I remember a motorbike article on the turbine powered Y2K superbike, and one of the owners...could have been Jay Leno actually...said they were sitting in traffic and noticed a car pull up close behind them, I think a Camry, and turned to see how close he was parked behind the bike...very close as it turned out, as cars will. He then noticed the heat from the two exhausts were buckling the front plastic bumper of the car close behind him...
Old 30-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #42
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
No real issue with turbines...except for the massive amounts of heat generated by them (as an engine and from the exhaust), and the prodigious fuel thirst. The heat is a fun one...I remember a motorbike article on the turbine powered Y2K superbike, and one of the owners...could have been Jay Leno actually...said they were sitting in traffic and noticed a car pull up close behind them, I think a Camry, and turned to see how close he was parked behind the bike...very close as it turned out, as cars will. He then noticed the heat from the two exhausts were buckling the front plastic bumper of the car close behind him...
Yes ..buckling plastic bumpers probably wasn't a problem in 1963 with the original turbine cars ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #43
IanC

Most hydrogen is produced from natural gas
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclop...gen-production
Why not just use the natural gas for fuel and not bother converting it to hydrogen? Yes, you can make hydrogen by electroylis from water but the reason they make it from natural gas is cost. Perhaps some time in the future there may be cheaper ways to make hydrogen such as biological processes which are under development in labs but so are better batteries for electric cars. Right now LPG is the only practical alternative to petrol and diesel. Anyway, whatever we use, you can bet the govt will put a big tax on it.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #44
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Most hydrogen is produced from natural gas
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclop...gen-production
Why not just use the natural gas for fuel and not bother converting it to hydrogen? Yes, you can make hydrogen by electroylis from water but the reason they make it from natural gas is cost. Perhaps some time in the future there may be cheaper ways to make hydrogen such as biological processes which are under development in labs but so are better batteries for electric cars. Right now LPG is the only practical alternative to petrol and diesel. Anyway, whatever we use, you can bet the govt will put a big tax on it.
Sadly LPG post 2016/17 will be on the skids.
Turbo direct injection diesel and now petrol with all the other formats, hybrids etc and no local input will see to that.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 02-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #45
bungarra

Japan is investing in Hydrogen infrastructure and pushing for hydrogen fuel cell technology which will "eventually" be able to allow better storage and performance form hydrogen. Israel is already running trials of fuel cell vehicles but the issue is size of the cells at present but they estimate in 5 years fuels cells will be small enough and economical enough to be an everyday use.

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2...cell-stations/

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/11/21/...s-no-platinum/
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #46
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

CNG was what they used in Pakistan when I was there. Can't recall seeing LPG at all? Lots of cars there run on the stuff, got some pics of the tank and filler setup in a civic I think?

They have been using it for ages, I guess to them it's like how we see LPG. I did save things like cost of conversion, economy compared to petrol and cost per litre (I think it may have been sold by the kg?!?) On my phone but that was 3 or 4 phones ago now.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #47
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting time for the local servo coming up it seems....

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 02-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #48
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
CNG was what they used in Pakistan when I was there. Can't recall seeing LPG at all? Lots of cars there run on the stuff, got some pics of the tank and filler setup in a civic I think?

They have been using it for ages, I guess to them it's like how we see LPG. I did save things like cost of conversion, economy compared to petrol and cost per litre (I think it may have been sold by the kg?!?) On my phone but that was 3 or 4 phones ago now.
CNG is o.k for around town/local driving but its range is VERY limited...At least LPG you can pull 400-500k's per tank if not more with the new injection systems.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #49
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
CNG is o.k for around town/local driving but its range is VERY limited...At least LPG you can pull 400-500k's per tank if not more with the new injection systems.
......only while it lasts, it going going......

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 02-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #50
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
......only while it lasts, it going going......
Not sure yet Ryeman give it some time for pump prices to come back down. Plus lets see what happens with Abbotts latest idea of investing in LPG technologies......It really can go two ways......Either exponential or yes it may gradually die off...

Eastern countires are actually taking on LNG and LPG bigtime for buses and infrastructure etc so why cant OZ do the same?

This is why we all need to sign that petition I posted and get as many lpg users as possible to stand up and demand some answers and changes!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #51
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not sure yet Ryeman give it some time for pump prices to come back down. Plus lets see what happens with Abbotts latest idea of investing in LPG technologies......It really can go two ways......Either exponential or yes it may gradually die off...

Eastern countires are actually taking on LNG and LPG bigtime for buses and infrastructure etc so why cant OZ do the same?

This is why we all need to sign that petition I posted and get as many lpg users as possible to stand up and demand some answers and changes!
Abbott hasn't got an idea but he is being propositioned by Gas industry which seems fantastic.....I mean the original meaning of the word.
The only industry he wants to meddle in relates to CO2 emissions.
But I certainly hope I'm wrong.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 02-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #52
KiwiKilda

what's wrong with methane
there has always been
a never ending supply
coming out of Canberra

What colour are methane flames?
KiwiKilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 11:45 PM   #53
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
What is the future for LPG in this country once the LPG Falcon and Commodore are gone?
Hopefully the pumps (at least some) will stay and the price will go down.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #54
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Prius had barely come out in large numbers before other manufacturers were getting far better fuel economy figures out of cars with "normal" drivetrains like small turbo diesels and petrol engines with interesting new technologies in them, combined with better gearboxes.

With LPG, it probably made sense back when 10ltr/100km was an unobtainable dream in anything but some funny little tiny foreign cars, but now if a manufacturers large sedan doesn't get way better than 10/100 on the highway, it's vilified as old fashioned and hopelessly out of date. Our G6E used to amaze me by sitting down on 8/100 when our four cylinder 1982 Celica can't get anywhere near that good a fuel economy.

With the price rises of LPG, and the amazing economy of "normal" cars, there's no real benefit of going the LPG route anymore.

Hydrogen has a whole other long list of limitations and problems of its own.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #55
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
BMW had a hydrogen 7 series a while back, it was on youtube.

I think the problem is it has to be stored at a really low temperature, the figure -270 degrees comes to mind for some reason, or I may be thinking of something else.
The liquid-burning BMW Hydrogen 7 came out nearly 8 years ago, and wasn't efficient or practical enough to get up off the ground as a mass-produced vehicle. Things seem to have come a way since then though with fuel cell tech. Hyundai is getting ready to release the iX35 Fuel Cell (Tucson) SUV later this year as the first mass market hydrogen car, available on lease in California only for around $500 per month including maintenance and fuel costs. Toyota and Honda say they are close on its heels with their fuel cell models due to follow in 2015.

Rather than combusting liquid H it uses a fuel cell to drive an electric motor and appears to have a practical range (hard to know who to believe though), top speed and refueling time. It carries around 5kg of H2 on board and the setup doesn't look to be badly intrusive on cargo space - it's diminished by 1.9 cubic feet (54 litres?) compared with a standard Tucson.

A lack of hydrogen stations outside a couple of LA looks like a major current limitation although apparently there are more planned throughout San Fransisco and LA. Will this restricted coverage along with a limited build number of 1000 vehicles in California see it go the way of the BMW 7 or will it become a viable alternative?

Last edited by chamb0; 04-01-2014 at 03:59 PM.
chamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #56
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's no such thing as liquid hydrogen, it doesn't exist. Even liquifying Helium is extraordinarily difficult.

As a fuel for internal combustion, Hydrogen is difficult and rather pointless. The push for Hydrogen centres around fuel-cells, and the use of non-fossil energy. Unfortunately generating Hydrogen from electrolysis of water is extremely inefficient and expensive. Ironically, the only commercially viable method of producing Hydrogen gas is by burning natural gas in such a way that only the carbon is oxidised. But of course you'd be better off just running your car on the natural gas.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #57
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
There's no such thing as liquid hydrogen, it doesn't exist.
Really? You sure about that?

http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/fluid.cg...a*s&STUnit=N/m
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #58
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nor 'liquid' gas.....oh.....err....

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 05-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #59
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Maybe we should start using our farming land to make ethanol based fuels, since majority of the **** you buy in the supermarket tastes like crap and comes from overseas.

I believe some of the VE Commodores can run on E85 from factory?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #60
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Maybe we should start using our farming land to make ethanol based fuels, since majority of the **** you buy in the supermarket tastes like crap and comes from overseas.

I believe some of the VE Commodores can run on E85 from factory?
Ye they have E85 badges on the boot......they didn't sell many at all, the whole concept fell on its *** because E85 is BS......Its highly corrosive on fuel lines and system parts and Its only a few cents cheaper but you use more of it to go the same distance!

I read a news article where it said Melbourne drivers and servos basically dumped the whole Ethanol idea because they couldn't see the benefits of it.

Shell removed all there E85 pumps too!