Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 22-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #31
Bradxbv8
more cubic inches

looking great Rick, started that motor yet?
The Echuca timeclock is ticking and trust me, it comes around pretty quick
Old 23-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #32
Ricky T
Coupe and Caddy

Hey Brad, unfortunately haven't started on the motor yet. The Cadillac has depleted my bank account over the last couple of months.
Ricky T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #33
Ricky T
Coupe and Caddy

The panel beater delivered the car a couple of weeks ago, so now it's time to get started on putting it back together.

With a freshly painted shell in the garage, the first thing I realised is all the bolts that I took off the car in the beginning are no longer worthy, so I need to buy a lot of new bolts and screws and gaskets, etc. And a lot of the plastic clips (like for the door handle control rods) are broken. Just ****** little things like that which leave lots of half-finished jobs while I wait for replacements from Ford suppliers.

Overall the paint is excellent, I love how the colour turned out. I did have doubts as to whether to stick with black stripes, or pussy out and go with the factory Walnut Glow just for the sake of looking factory. But I'm so glad I stayed with black, it looks excellent against orange.

The bonnet stripe was a source of anguish for myself. I went to the NSW GT Clubs display day for a browse, and every XB there had a different stripe. Different spaces, different thickness of the outside stripe, etc. Very confusing. But Dean the spraypainter had a spec sheet for XB's which detailed the correct measurements, so I'm happy with the results.

The wheels, yeah I know it sits pretty high in the back. I've got Mad Max-size leaf spring shackles. I like the raked look, but when everything is back on the car and ready to roll I might drop it down about 1.5" in the back. It'll still be raked, but not so extreme.

The last photo shows my number plate which I had made for the car (it helps to be a Wests fan), and the parcel shelf blanket which my Mum knitted for me It's kind of a family tradition now since my Grandmother knitted a parcel shelf blanket for my Dad's Torana in the 70's which he still has, so Mum decided she wanted to knit one for my XB.
Old 14-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #34
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice as . I was just readin thru. 12 months is a good time to get a oanel and paint of that quality. Even like the colours. I am looking forward to seeing this at echuca. got engine pics.... etc ...yet mate ?
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2010, 12:40 AM   #35
Ozzyosko
Another stroked coupe

How did you find Kranky Kustom's quality/price/service? Looks like they've done a nice job.

I'll be looking for a quality panel beater/painter in Newcastle soon.
Ozzyosko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #36
Ricky T
Coupe and Caddy

Default Re: XBGT Coupe

Sorry for the late reply, Ozzy. Unfortunately Kranky closed down last year, but you could try Greg at Pro Street up that way. He works by himself and has done a few coupes.

Anyway here's a quick update if anyone was interested to know how my car is going:

Last November I got news that I was posting to Darwin with work starting January (rather unexpected), so it was a mad rush up until Christmas to get my coupe finished. The engine still hadn't been done at that stage, so AN Racing in Punchbowl were able to do a quick rebuild and tidy up on it in 2 weeks, and while that was being done I sent the headers off to J&J Performance in Penrith for ceramic coat.

While the engine and stuff was away I finished up the wiring, glass and trim installation. While I would have preferred to get the seats and door cards recovered I didn't have the time or spare cash, so I had to just re-install them as is. I did get new carpet and headlining with a sprinkling of dynamat though. The old dash that came out of it had since disintegrated but I had a spare brown dash. Again, no time to get it recovered, but a coat of black vinyl spray and it looks good as new. Of course then I had to re-spray the instrument fascia and dash pads as well so it all colour-matched!

I also had a go at changing the uni joints on the driveshaft myself but it was a shamozzle without the right tools, so I dropped it off at a driveshaft place in Bankstown and they replaced the uni's, cleaned, repainted and rebalanced it for me while I waited. Top service!

With the engine, trans and exhaust back in I had issues with the electronic ignition (and starter motor, and pretty much every other component that went back on, one after the other). So the car still wasn't running by the time I had to move out of my house. Also because I had to move into an apartment in Darwin with no secure parking, the XB ended up being shipped to my Dad's property in QLD.

So now I'm in Darwin and my XB is in QLD. Good news, however, is that some of the boys from the Caboolture Car Club were able to suss out the ignition problem and Dad was able to get it running. From all reports he said it sounds great. I'm headed down there over Easter so I'll be able to have a play with it and see if we can get it out on the road for a quick test run.

This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #37
Ricky T
Coupe and Caddy

Now registered and roadworthy. Got some bugs to iron out, fuel and oil px gauge not working, annoyinh little things like that, but otherwise it's good to go.

Old 28-02-2014, 06:27 AM   #38
XBCoupeNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate that looks awesome.

Can't imagine how happy you are - well done

"Target acquired .... target engaged ..... TARGET ANGRY!!!"
XBCoupeNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #39
MEANXBCOUPE
injection is nice, but...

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing the Helicoil article 

Mate, well done. I don't frequent this forum too much due to limited time so sorry for the late post.

Well done.
Globes look heaps better too mate.

Limetime Green '74 XB Coupe- Classic not Plastic.

Blueprint '02 Pursuit 250- Plastic not Classic (yet)

Venom '01 AUII Rebel- RIP. Gone to a better place.

Winter White '12 FG GT 335 R-Spec - something the wife thrashes daily

'05 CRF450X- For getting dirty in the, um, dirt.
MEANXBCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post