Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 01-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #61
falconator
Regular Yobbo

Default Re: Phil B's XB coupe

Those tyres are like the dinosaurs.Gone.Look up Antique tyres,for something similar,if you want white lettering.

QLD number plate....V8 COUPE !!! for sale,make a offer!
falconator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #62
Phil B
Clevo power!

Do I need bushes for the rear swaybar as well as the front one?

The purple monster, daily BA XR6 turbo.

Scale Lego Technic XB Coupe with working bits! Build thread
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #63
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil B
Do I need bushes for the rear swaybar as well as the front one?
Can't hurt but you should probably inspect them and see what they are like first. Stick a vernier on the bar to measure the thickness and go order some new saddle bushes and link pin button bushes.

You won't need them for the roadworthy.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #64
fordgt71
xc78 gxl

Looks good man i rememember my first coupe at 20
fordgt71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #65
Phil B
Clevo power!

So I got home yesterday and dad had the back seats out and had almost finished making a masonite sheet to go behind the seat, one to go on the boot floor over the diff to the back seats to flatten that out, was working on the two panels to go either side of the boot and one to go under the plastic top of the parcel shelf! That was way more than I thought he'd get done which was great. By the time I left he had the boot side panels done and was close on the parcel shelf.

I replaced the passengers door handle which was broken, still doesn't work yet though because I need a plastic connector piece for the linkages then it'll be all good. I also replaced the two door locks but didn't get to the ignition, dad was planning on doing that today. I'm re-doing them because the key was very worn and didn't work properly all the time.

I got it insured last week, didn't cost anywhere near as much as I thought it would

Tomorrow it's off to the mechanics to get a checkover beyond my limits, and a rough idea of any roadworthy issues. I also have new modern headlights on the way for it so I can drive it at night a bit easier. Looking good for rego in 2 weeks hopefully

Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #66
Phil B
Clevo power!

Slight setbacks after today, coupe went into the mechanics for a check over. Of course the damn battery was flat!

Anyway theres a hole in the passengers floor which will need to be fixed for roadworthy, was kind of hoping itd be ok but it needed doing at some point anyway, there goes any chance of sleep on the weekend. The unrego permit is only for 2 weeks and im trying to be a cheapskate and not pay for another one, and i want to drive the thing so bad! Ive also got an engagement party on the weekend that will rule out half of it.

Radiator needs replacing, i figured it would. Where do i get one from? i have no idea.

bushes and shocks are ok so dont need to be done now, they can go on the later, more time and money list for now.

gunna be tight to stick to the deadline but im young and crazy and hopefully can do it.

On the long term list is new exhaust, it currently has a single, i plan on going twins so it sounds like it should! Question is will i need new manifolds coming off the engine for the twins? if so should i go extractors? or do them anyway? if so which ones? will they need modifying or getting custom made for space issues? (i think ive seen that mentioned somewhere)

do i need to get the exhaust made up from scratch? (which i have someone who can do that). or can you buy them pre made still? I have a pretty much stock 302 with only a 350 holly on top, so what size do i want? ive been suggested 2 or 2 1/4. keeping in mind that im more after a nice sound than a billion horsepower and doing the 1/4 quicker than i can blink.

also what are thoughts on the carby? go bigger or is it enough? seems to go enough for me now, will the exhaust help get a bit more though? i probably wouldnt mind a bit more go but not need to fill up at every servo.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #67
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Phil
You can get a radiator for your car just about any where find out if it's cheaper to fix yours or replace I'm not a big rap for second hand radiators as you never know what you are getting

A twin exhaust can be hooked up to the standard manifolds (as they are from factory) I would save up some money and get extractors with the twin system

You are running a 2 barrel carby so if you want to upgrade to a 4 barrel say a 600 vac you will need to change the inlet manifold to a 4 barrel one

I would save up some bucks and freshen up the engine new cam shaft hardened valve seats so you can run premium with out addative then a 4 barrel carby & manifold, extractors with twin system

This will make it more responsive and sound better

Cheers
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #68
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue
Hi Phil
You can get a radiator for your car just about any where find out if it's cheaper to fix yours or replace I'm not a big rap for second hand radiators as you never know what you are getting

A twin exhaust can be hooked up to the standard manifolds (as they are from factory) I would save up some money and get extractors with the twin system

You are running a 2 barrel carby so if you want to upgrade to a 4 barrel say a 600 vac you will need to change the inlet manifold to a 4 barrel one

I would save up some bucks and freshen up the engine new cam shaft hardened valve seats so you can run premium with out addative then a 4 barrel carby & manifold, extractors with twin system

This will make it more responsive and sound better

Cheers
Thanks, the coupe went into the mechanics today, one i know well and trust, and he said its stuffed, the fins are all breaking and theres a crack in it. problem is im in a small town and i dont thing theres a radiator shop. and yeah id go for a new one then not have to worry about it.

Thanks for the info on exhaust and carby, i didnt realise i'd need a new intake manifold. i was planning on giving the engine a freshen up later this year when im away and cant drive it, also when i get the paint done as ill drop the engine out to get the engine bay painted. i definitely planned on getting hardened valves to make it easier.

what brand of extractors fits and works well in a coupe?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #69
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil B
Thanks, the coupe went into the mechanics today, one i know well and trust, and he said its stuffed, the fins are all breaking and theres a crack in it. problem is im in a small town and i dont thing theres a radiator shop. and yeah id go for a new one then not have to worry about it.

Thanks for the info on exhaust and carby, i didnt realise i'd need a new intake manifold. i was planning on giving the engine a freshen up later this year when im away and cant drive it, also when i get the paint done as ill drop the engine out to get the engine bay painted. i definitely planned on getting hardened valves to make it easier.

what brand of extractors fits and works well in a coupe?
There are plenty on the market and you will probably get different opinions on what is good

Genie, HM, pacemaker, are probably the most common used But like most things budget also will influence your decision

What ever brand you are looking for just make sure they will fit an xb with a four speed and if your planing on keeping the 302 you will need them to suit 2v heads which have the smaller exhaust outlets

Like anything shop around and try to compair like for like

Putting the extractors on is cumbersome but you can do that your self
Leave the fitting of the twin system to the experts as they have all the tools and pipe bending machines to get it sitting nice and high

Nothing worse than an exhaust system that scrapes the ground or rattles or having your tail pipes sitting at different heights
Cheers
Tony

Last edited by neptune blue; 07-05-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #70
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I think a 3 core cross flow radiator is around $400 new. Similar price to a recore. I'm not 100% sure but I think the XD crossflow radiators fit too.

You only need a 2 core for the 302C but it really depends on what you have planned for the future.

When you came to pick the car up I was going to give you some bits for the 302C which included a radiator. It slipped my mind. Old timer's disease.

For your exhaust I'd just retain your factory manifolds for now. You can fit new headers later and hook them up to the dual system. I think headers start at around $500 for new ones.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #71
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I think a 3 core cross flow radiator is around $400 new. Similar price to a recore. I'm not 100% sure but I think the XD crossflow radiators fit too.

You only need a 2 core for the 302C but it really depends on what you have planned for the future.

When you came to pick the car up I was going to give you some bits for the 302C which included a radiator. It slipped my mind. Old timer's disease.

For your exhaust I'd just retain your factory manifolds for now. You can fit new headers later and hook them up to the dual system. I think headers start at around $500 for new ones.
I dont have anything crazy planned for the future, just after a nice shove in the back, which its not too bad at now, and lots of awesome V8 rumbley noise, which it's not so good at. I'll see what radiators I can find.

Oh well it happens, even to me!

So hook the dual system in to the first join on the manifolds? Then if/when I get extractors just modify the front ends of the exhaust to fit?

Go normal steel or stainless for the exhaust?

And yeah I know someone who does them properly, just saw a picture of a job he just did on a BA XR8, an old friend from way back who has started a business near where I am in Melbourne who does lots of fabrication and custom work.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #72
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stainless will last a lot longer but more expensive
Again it comes down to budget

A mild steel exhaust can last 10 years plus just depends on how much driving you are going to do

Mine is ready for replacement but it's been in the car for25 years
Old 08-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #73
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I wouldn't get SS pipes. Lot of money
Old 08-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #74
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to hear about your roadworthy issues Phil. Have you got any progress pics? especially of the boot area?
lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #75
falconator
Regular Yobbo

I got quoted $650 for the twin system,2 and quarter inch,would suit.Would not worry about extractors,a lot of effort to just cook your starter motor.The main factor is the mufflers you put on it,some are very quiet,some not.The radiator did not appreciate sitting for 10 years.
I would look at treating the undercarriage,asap!Dont go to big,on the next holley.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #76
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmattie
Sorry to hear about your roadworthy issues Phil. Have you got any progress pics? especially of the boot area?
Nah no pics coz I was in a mad rush panic. and the doors look the same lol. ill try to get some pics of the boot this weekend, and only of the floor patch if it looks any good lol

Old 08-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #77
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconator
I got quoted $650 for the twin system,2 and quarter inch,would suit.Would not worry about extractors,a lot of effort to just cook your starter motor.The main factor is the mufflers you put on it,some are very quiet,some not.The radiator did not appreciate sitting for 10 years.
I would look at treating the undercarriage,asap!Dont go to big,on the next holley.
What do you mean about the underside?

And what size you reckon? would the 600 be too big? the 465 be about the right size?

Old 08-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #78
falconator
Regular Yobbo

Just the surface rust,underneath, treat it eventually.I would not go to big on the carb,that motor has done a lot of miles and has never been touched.Everybody will have a different opinion.600 vac,if you go for a decent rebuild,depending what you spend,yes, go the works,but your not running big horsepower ATM. I would,maybe put the tired ,matching number 302 aside and fit a 351 to it, so you an have some fun.

Last edited by falconator; 08-05-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #79
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Just the surface rust,underneath, treat it eventually.I would not go to big on the carb,that motor has done a lot of miles and has never been touched.Everybody will have a different opinion.600 vac,if you go for a decent rebuild,depending what you spend,yes, go the works,but your not running big horsepower ATM. I would,maybe put the tired ,matching number 302 aside and fit a 351 to it, so you an have some fun.
That rust hole in the passengers footwell is on the hit list for this weekend, might give the underside a tidy up when I get it repainted.

Yeah I'm not planning on going big, and might not even yet, we will see. That 302 goes well though, the mechanic commented on how well you had it running, the panels on it and how well the car as a whole had been looked after I dont plan on swapping out the engine or anything, just keep it nice and cruisey

Old 10-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #80
falconator
Regular Yobbo

I would look at replacing,the lifters,fitting the twin system.Muffler shop should know what brings out the best sound.When i got a quote,i suggested Magnaflow,but the guy said that they were cheap chinese garbage,there you go!Just give the car general detail and finishing off touches,that i could not do,due to a change in circumstances.#### happens!!!

Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #81
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
I would look at replacing,the lifters,fitting the twin system.Muffler shop should know what brings out the best sound.When i got a quote,i suggested Magnaflow,but the guy said that they were cheap chinese garbage,there you go!Just give the car general detail and finishing off touches,that i could not do,due to a change in circumstances.#### happens!!!
Replacing the lifters or just adjusting them?

Yeah I'm looking at getting some proper guys to do it.

That's my plan, making pretty good progress with it so far, just lots of fiddly, time consuming stuff to do, you've done all the big stuff which is great, its a great first project, nothing extreme but enough to get familiar with the car and say ive done something

Update is today it got new front tires and a wheel alignment Only the hole in the floor to be welded up for roadworthy, hopefully next week

Old 11-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #82
fordmfp
Blue blooded

Hey bud im running a recond 302 with a very mild cam with a 600 Holley and it runs great, Im still using the 2 barrel manifold with an adaptor/spacer under the carb. Also mines still running the cast manifolds with a twin 2 inch system and M&H flowmaster style mufflers which gives it a great sound imo

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11259539
fordmfp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #83
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmfp
Hey bud im running a recond 302 with a very mild cam with a 600 Holley and it runs great, Im still using the 2 barrel manifold with an adaptor/spacer under the carb. Also mines still running the cast manifolds with a twin 2 inch system and M&H flowmaster style mufflers which gives it a great sound imo
Ok, interesting. Are the 2 inches big enough? because mine has a single 2 inch which seems in very good nick so might be able to reuse half of it, unless thats not a good idea?
And I'm looking at a 465 Holley at the moment, but I'm in no hurry, got to get it roadworthy and registered first, then go for more grunt

Just got home and had a look at the coupe with dad to see what he got done during the week.
MY COUPE HAS A FULL ON BULLET HOLE IN THE FLOOR!!!!!

Reinforces my theory that the coupes were made as mafia cars. Enough room in the boot for a few machine guns, a few bags of concrete and a body or two, then enough grunt to tow the boat faster then the cops. You do the maths :P

Few other holes/tears in the passenger side floor that need welding, not as bad as i thought it would be.

Wont need patching, just welding. Only on the passengers side though. Must have been wild chases in its mafia days

Pics of the boot panels as requested.

Here's the boot side panels as fabricated by dad.

Diff flattening piece and back seat cover piece, both also fabricated by dad.

They are almost done, just needs a few slight trims and then hitting with black paint to seal them.

Parcel shelf getting close on done, plastic mounted on masonite pieces as fabricated by dad again! Got a stereo and speakers coming for it from a friend, cost me a detour to pick up something for him

Looking at the wiring for the rear demister, is the power for that by this blue wire? If not what is it for? And also what is the wire for thats looped in the top right?

Also is this boot light an aftermarket job? I think you've told me Pat but I cant remember lol. Just that its all not working at the moment, thinking I might take it all out because I've always got my phone torch lol. And I cant find the lens cover for the light, if i did keep it I'll probably put a whole new light fitting in or something.

Switch for the boot light

Also when dad pulled the passengers seat out, one of the rails come off in 2 pieces, it also has a date with the welder tomorrow.

Oh and dad showing off the 4 inch lift kit!

Just kidding ya's! It's just up on stands this side (hidden in this pic hehe). But who had a heart attack? Oh you can see new tires on the front, with white writing still

Roadworthy is booked for thurs morning, hopefully it passes then can get rego'd that arvo or friday so i can drive it next weekend!

Last edited by Phil B; 12-05-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #84
falconator
Regular Yobbo

The hole would have been for the air conditioner outlet,i think.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #85
fordmfp
Blue blooded

Looking good mate i need to tidy up my boot like you are doing, Yep the twin 2inch is fine, Not too loud to get heaps of notice from the law but loud enough to sound like a v8 should!!

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11259539
fordmfp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #86
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i assume it is a falcon, so maybe it did not have a boot light
the cut out for my boot light globe is only marginally bigger than the socket itself, so yours looks much different to mine
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #87
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

definitely not factory
plenty of options to replace it with something smaller, brighter and nicer
also noticed you dont have any underlay
there are some good and inexpensive sound proofing under lays that will reduce some of the cabin noise
Old 14-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #88
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
definitely not factory
plenty of options to replace it with something smaller, brighter and nicer
also noticed you dont have any underlay
there are some good and inexpensive sound proofing under lays that will reduce some of the cabin noise
Yeah if I do fix it I will put something more modern, if its too stuffed ill just pull it out.

We do plan to put underlay of some sort on the wood panels soon, just got them in for roadworthy. dad said even as is it made a huge difference in noise when he went to get the tires.

roadworthy is on Thursday, Rego on Friday. so all going to plan ill get to drive it next weekend. paperwork to allow someone else to register it for me is not cool though...

Old 14-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #89
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry Phil I ment carpert underlay like under the seats and your feet
Old 14-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #90
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
sorry Phil I ment carpert underlay like under the seats and your feet
Oh yeah there is some there, definitely across the back, not sure about the front, dad may have pulled it out for the welding and grinding, i didnt check, was too busy welding the holes, ill ask though