Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 09-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
green351
Starter Motor

Default brake upgrades for coupes

hi guys new to the forum im looking to upgrade the brakes on my 72 xa coupe and need some help and ideas. I want to upgrade my discs and calipers to brembos im running 15x7 convos and 15x10 convos on the rear can anyone recommend someone to do the job I also live in Berwick vic. and also looking at rebuiding my pbr brake booster and master cylinder or is worth me just buying aftermarket. ????

Old 13-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Claytopia

Default Re: brake upgrades for coupes

A basic upgrade you can do is put the disc brake rear end from the XB XC falcon on.

Otherwise modern brake fluid and pad compounds are an upgrade in themselves.

If you have the coin RRS do a series of upgrade kits just be careful as you will be restricted with the 15 inch rims.
Claytopia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
green351
Starter Motor

Ok I'm running a xb 9" disc rear end my callipers need to be rebuild including the fronts so had the idea to go larger discs and new calipers looked at rrs kits and wilwood kits I've got a mate that can do brembos for the front but I want the rear done too.
I don't know others have done and trying to get an idea of what others have done
Thanks for the info😁
Old 16-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
DaveD_XB

You may be restricted by the 15" wheels when it comes to a lot of kits... I went with a big 6 piston caliper front & mini 6 piston rear caliper kit from RRS... But I needed to go 17" wheels to be able to fit over them..

Remember that a lot of big brake kits need 18" of vacuum to work well, just fitting big brakes to a car with poor vacuum or a smaller diameter booster won't give the results you're after...

I'm about to fit a big brake kit (14" rotors, 6 piston callipers) to my Challenger but the lumpy cam is useless for vacuum so I'm fitting a Hella UP30 vacuum pump to compensate for the cam, also if your master is for a disk/drum setup you probably should swap it for a 4 wheel disk one & for best performance a balance/bias adjuster is a good idea
1972 Dodge Challenger R/T - Mopar Weekend Toy
1969 GTO - Pontiac Weekend Toy
DaveD_XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post