Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 31-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
stephengclar
Starter Motor

Exclamation Baffling issue, 2013 Ford Mondeo LX TDCi Diesel Wagon PowerShift

Hi, I have a baffling issue that no Mechanic has been able to sort out with my daughter's 03/ 2013 Ford Mondeo LX TDCi Diesel Wagon PowerShift (MC)
The issue is: When the car is put into reverse, the car commence reversing, the sensors start beeping then the car stops and engine malfunction warning comes up on the dash. The car will start going forward but it will never reverse without the same issue repeating itself.
To date several tests and checks have occurred to determine the cause of reverse stalling, but the problem keeps re- occurring.
1) Checked the wiring from the cam & crank sensors and also fuel pressure sender for wear and tear
2) The ECU has been removed and all the connections have been inspected for damage
3) The fuel system and tank have been removed and cleaned.
4) The hoses and connections checked for leaks or damage.
5) The fuel filter has been replaced, and the fuel lines have been flushed and the tank has been refilled
6) A new suction control valve and fuel pressure sensor have been installed.
7) A system reset and relearn has been done.

The car was tested extensively by the mechanic, drove over speed bumps and reversed for a while then within 2 weeks the issue has returned.
The mechanic is at his wits end and is finding it very difficult to source what the issue is.
I have sourced the Ford forum for similar issues but none have been recorded.

If their is anyone on the forum that has experienced the same issue and could provide some assistance to fix the issue it would be appreciated.
The car has been fully serviced since purchased and has traveled 136700 Km.

Regards

Steve, Brisbane Australia
stephengclar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: Baffling issue, 2013 Ford Mondeo LX TDCi Diesel Wagon PowerShift

Are there any DTC's that may provide any clue...
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a sensor related issue to me (but I'm no expert). Firstly, shouldn't the reverse sensor not make any noise at all - unless there is an object approaching it ?? Based on your post, the sensor starts making a sound right from the moment reverse is selected & continues to make a sound until the car conks out...
I reckon you've got a fault in your reverse sensor module.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2017, 07:38 PM   #4
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8 View Post
Sounds like a sensor related issue to me (but I'm no expert). Firstly, shouldn't the reverse sensor not make any noise at all - unless there is an object approaching it ?? Based on your post, the sensor starts making a sound right from the moment reverse is selected & continues to make a sound until the car conks out...
I reckon you've got a fault in your reverse sensor module.

Yet the sensors have no control over the ECU???
Puzzling.
More likely ABS or ESC.
Good luck with this one!!! Try the overseas forums (Fora??).
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #5
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

I think the OP meant the cluster warnings start beeping rather than a reverse parking sensor?
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #6
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The mechanic seems to be fixing engine related bits but the car is ok going forward?

It's electrical.
Take it to an auto electrician, or Ford.

And welcome!

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
bundybear75

Does it stall immediately when reverse selected or does it reverse for a while then stall?

This may be a little out of left field but could it be a clutch issue?

When driving forward does it use all 6 gears or could it be skipping (ie 1,3,5 or 2,4,6?) Maybe one of the clutches has failed? I would imagine there would be a DTC recorded though....
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

It's sounds like a powershift transmission issue (failed clutch causing stall) that should be covered by Fords extended warranty but seemingly isn't on the lower volumes sold Mondeos ("Lemondeos"?) see https://www.redbook.com.au/car-news/...?csn_tnet=true and http://www.caradvice.com.au/546286/f...ould-you-take/

I would take it to a Ford dealer for diagnosis as having anyone else work on the transmission or related parts will kill any chance of Ford fixing it for free. If it is the trans and Ford won't fix it for free I would contact the ACCC.

Also see https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-rev...d-mondeo-65107 was the daughter using hill-hold as recommended?

And yes; I also suspect it's the similar sounding engine/trans fault alarm rather than a reverse sensor.

Last edited by aussiblue; 02-11-2017 at 12:44 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #9
stephengclar
Starter Motor

Hi Peter, thanks for the feedback. I have clarified with my daughter that the sensors only come on when there is an object within the sensors.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #10
stephengclar
Starter Motor

Hi, thank you for your feedback. My daughter says the issue occurs as soon as she tries to reverse (I.e the car it reverses for a meter then stalls).
Thanks
Old 02-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #11
stephengclar
Starter Motor

Hi thank you for the feedback. Yes my daughter says the hill-hold is being used. She could not say with conviction is the car was skipping gears.
Thanks
Old 02-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #12
stephengclar
Starter Motor

Hi Aussie Blue, thank you for the feedback and the hyperlinks. Unfortunately the Powershift issue related to the ACCC is specifically for Fiesta or a Focus or an EcoSport between 2010 and 2016.
I have also found out (from a large Ford Dealer on the Qt because of legal issues) that the ACCC issue only relates to the dry clutch not the wet clutch which is in the Ford Mondeo.

Again thank you to all the form members that have contributed to the conversation so far. I believe we can rule out the reverse sensor issue but as yet I am no closer to understanding if it is a electrical issue as per Mercury Bullet or an engine / transmission issue.
Hopefully a member on the forum may know of someone who has encountered a similar issue / fault and can assist with some direction.

Regards Steve
Old 02-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

You might ask your Ford contact if any ECU updates that address drivability issues have been issued since your car was last serviced by Ford. See http://www.talkford.com/community/to...nt-ecu-update/ In any event getting the most recent update installed or reinstalled often fixes mysterious symptoms like you have.

Last edited by aussiblue; 02-11-2017 at 09:23 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Noting also that things like incorrect jump starting procedures, swapping batteries, shorting electrical components (including from water ingress), collisions and even hitting large potholes (that can dislodge chips or crack PCB tracks) has been known to corrupt ECU program data and produce strange drivability issues.