Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-07-2022, 03:47 PM   #1891
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The USA had a good relationship with the Saudi's. Until Biden called them murders for killing that journo. Justified, but they won't see it that way and will screw him by not increasing oil supply. He should know not to **** off people who can make life difficult for him.

Apparently he will go over there next week to beg for more oil supply, and they will laugh at his request. No one in the oil industry is going to lift a finger to help someone hell bent on destroying them. High oil prices are a win win for them. They get to reap the profits, all while their enemy is being slaughtered in the polls by americans losing their minds over the price of gas.

Not to mention the Saudi military is chock full of the latest US weaponry they give them. The USA sends billions of dollars of stuff over there, because they use them as the balance of power in the middle east.
Biden doesn't want more oil. He's quite happy with the high oil prices because he wants to see a transition to EVs and at a faster rate. He isn't going to beg them for cheaper oil.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-07-2022, 03:51 PM   #1892
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
Yep it's an interesting balance of greed and self preservation.....there's a lot of EV,s coming out in the next year most pretty pricey , these new BYD full EV,s out of China hitting our shores soon don't look to bad and are priced competitively.....it will be interesting to see whether there will be a time when they realize they're losing customers.....oil prices could go the other way?.....who knows, then there's only the greenie governments left to battle with
As much as I hate China and all things from there, the EVs they are producing are pretty good and BYD have a lot of experience in the space for many years now.

And getting on more EVs will see us remove this dependency. I didn't want to bring EVs into this discussion cause it always ends badly.

@Bossxr8, are these fuel prices enough to get Ford Aus to fast track a Ranger Lightning? Though, looking at Hilux hitting almost 8000 sales for a month with Ranger ramping, it seems the high fuel prices aren't hurting this segment all that much.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2022, 04:14 PM   #1893
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not many servos around Melbourne below 91 @$2.39 anymore.

I bloody hope its only temporary!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2022, 04:19 PM   #1894
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Yep it's an interesting balance of greed and self preservation.....there's a lot of EV,s coming out in the next year most pretty pricey , these new BYD full EV,s out of China hitting our shores soon don't look to bad and are priced competitively.....it will be interesting to see whether there will be a time when they realize they're losing customers.....oil prices could go the other way?.....who knows, then there's only the greenie governments left to battle with
Oil prices might drop if a global recession kicks in. I can't see it not happening at this point. Looks like oil has come down a bit in the last few days.

But who knows at this point, it could go either way. They must have some sort of strategy on how they are going to balance it, keeping profits up but without cutting themselves off at the knees.

But it's not just transport that uses oil, it's used in so many other things that it's still going to be needed for a very long time to come.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2022, 04:26 PM   #1895
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
@Bossxr8, are these fuel prices enough to get Ford Aus to fast track a Ranger Lightning? Though, looking at Hilux hitting almost 8000 sales for a month with Ranger ramping, it seems the high fuel prices aren't hurting this segment all that much.
That whole ute segment, the thing is tax incentives, business requirements, doesn't matter what fuel costs you'll always sell 4x2/4x4 utes to fleets or things like the Ranger Raptor for supervisors, business owners or just private buyers who want a 'premium ute' that can chop ****s at the lights and on the strip that happens to be a convenient car to have because you can put the family in it, as well as put some stuff in the tub.

I reckon you're on the money about a Ranger Lightning, perfect storm at the moment to push a business case for it but the problem is how slow the whole corporate juggernaut responds to market shifts and opportunities that open and close.

By the time the conversation happens in the board room for the people who call the shots where the money gets spent, it'll probably be 18-24 months time from fuel prices being $2.40/L for 91.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2022, 04:33 PM   #1896
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
You've got to wonder though the longer oil producing countries continue with these inflated prices the more pressure they put on people to buy EV,s and the more incentive for manufacturers to develop more EV,s and each time someone buys an EV that's a customer lost for good ......they're in effect sh#tting in their own nest
The oil producing countries are not sh#itting on themselves in any way; any one who thinks fossil fuels is going to stop in the near future is deluding themselves. Oil, petrol & diesel will be around for many more decades to come.
You have heavy transport, machinery and aviation with no practical solutions.
We still have a vey long way to go before EV's is the norm.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2022, 04:35 PM   #1897
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As much as I hate China and all things from there, the EVs they are producing are pretty good and BYD have a lot of experience in the space for many years now.

And getting on more EVs will see us remove this dependency. I didn't want to bring EVs into this discussion cause it always ends badly.

Understand your hesitation to bring EV,s into it ....I haven't been a fan but after recently test driving the the latest Outlander PHEV I must admit it was quite impressive.....feel the same about China......but their battery technology is quite Impressive Elon may have the jump on them but I bet he's looking over his shoulder

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2022, 04:53 PM   #1898
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
The oil producing countries are not sh#itting on themselves in any way; any one who thinks fossil fuels is going to stop in the near future is deluding themselves. Oil, petrol & diesel will be around for many more decades to come.
You have heavy transport, machinery and aviation with no practical solutions.
We still have a vey long way to go before EV's is the norm.
Agree ......diesel makes the world go round not petrol and cars but that wasn't my point every time someone switches to EV that's a customer lost and a lot of companies will be morally pushed that way , the longer they keep the pressure on with these prices the more incentive there is once attitudes change and there's a viable solution to ICE trucking the tide will change real quick......whether that's hydrogen who knows ......there's not a lot of love left for oil companies

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 06-07-2022, 05:19 PM   #1899
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Agree ......diesel makes the world go round not petrol and cars but that wasn't my point every time someone switches to EV that's a customer lost and a lot of companies will be morally pushed that way , the longer they keep the pressure on with these prices the more incentive there is once attitudes change and there's a viable solution to ICE trucking the tide will change real quick......whether that's hydrogen who knows ......there's not a lot of love left for oil companies
Hydrogen and Electric buses in Melbourne have started trials.

https://roadsonline.com.au/hydrogen-...lbournes-west/

https://roadsonline.com.au/first-loc...rne-bus-fleet/
Old 06-07-2022, 05:30 PM   #1900
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Mining is also ramping up tests and conversions to alternatives other than diesel so while it wont be next year it certainly wont be decades away.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2022, 05:57 PM   #1901
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Hydrogen is a bit of a joke for cars but it makes sense for applications where you can't have huge battery banks like commercial vehicles where the more the vehicle weighs the less **** you can carry with it.

At least as a hold over until battery technology gets its **** together and has better energy density.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2022, 10:36 PM   #1902
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Understand your hesitation to bring EV,s into it ....I haven't been a fan but after recently test driving the the latest Outlander PHEV I must admit it was quite impressive.....feel the same about China......but their battery technology is quite Impressive Elon may have the jump on them but I bet he's looking over his shoulder
Oh, I'm a big fan of EVs. I have 3 with a 4 th joining soon. I love them. Just that others on this forum don't and EV discussions seen to antagonise them so I don't usually talk about them as much these days.

I'm waiting for a Ranger Lightning or F150 lightning. Just can't make a case for the others. Not the the cost of fuel is a big problem for me (I've been lucky in life) but I actually really enjoy the drive of EVs over ICE (though I still love my Manual V8s)!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2022, 01:32 AM   #1903
hayseed

Quote:
......there's not a lot of love left for oil companies
Didn't realise that there was ever lot of Love for Fuel Companies in the first place...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2022, 02:14 AM   #1904
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oh, I'm a big fan of EVs. I have 3 with a 4 th joining soon. I love them. Just that others on this forum don't and EV discussions seen to antagonise them so I don't usually talk about them as much these days.

I'm waiting for a Ranger Lightning or F150 lightning. Just can't make a case for the others. Not the the cost of fuel is a big problem for me (I've been lucky in life) but I actually really enjoy the drive of EVs over ICE (though I still love my Manual V8s)!

Yes I saw the ribbing you got ......I can't say I'm a fan ,the no noise is hard to get used to .....but the cost to run bit is easy to get and the instant torque helps to out weigh the lack of noise .....I can understand why you like them and I'm warming to the idea I think PHEV might suit us (baby steps) trouble is there's a flood of v8,s on lots over here so no one's interested in trading the xr8 over this side of the ditch, my timings not ideal

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 07-07-2022, 09:50 AM   #1905
Toiler
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Hydrogen is a bit of a joke for cars but it makes sense for applications where you can't have huge battery banks like commercial vehicles where the more the vehicle weighs the less **** you can carry with it.

At least as a hold over until battery technology gets its **** together and has better energy density.
There are technologies coming that just may change that. Some interesting claims made but of course it is a start up selling itself.

https://youtu.be/brEm4mEizns
Toiler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2022, 10:16 AM   #1906
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Auckland NZ has electric buses and is ramping up to 150+

From China state owned coy BRRC imported completely built up... no kiwi built body/seats/fittings etc

I travelled on 3 ... smoother quieter faster than a diesel.

Watch out MAN VOLVO MB .... the chinese are going to eat your lunch.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2022, 10:22 AM   #1907
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Ran into a guy the other week out front of my place when his dog escaped from his new place just around the corner from me. Happened to have the garage open and he spied my 'Falcon garage'. He asked "Bit of a Falcon fan, are we?"

Anyway, turns out he used to work for Ford (actually worked with my cousin in the engineering department, and they still stay in touch even though my cous now lives and works in WA).

This guy now works for H2X doing design work for converting buses to run on Hydrogen. He couldn't go into detail, but I do wonder as to why he/they are basing themselves in Sale. Seems like a strange place to be basing your design office. Especially given Sale is not a big place and doesn't have a large bus fleet. Assume it must be state government related.

So, yes there seems to be a lot of work associated with converting the public transport system to run on hydrogen, atm.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2022, 10:34 AM   #1908
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Ran into a guy the other week out front of my place when his dog escaped from his new place just around the corner from me. Happened to have the garage open and he spied my 'Falcon garage'. He asked "Bit of a Falcon fan, are we?"

Anyway, turns out he used to work for Ford (actually worked with my cousin in the engineering department, and they still stay in touch even though my cous now lives and works in WA).

This guy now works for H2X doing design work for converting buses to run on Hydrogen. He couldn't go into detail, but I do wonder as to why he/they are basing themselves in Sale. Seems like a strange place to be basing your design office. Especially given Sale is not a big place and doesn't have a large bus fleet. Assume it must be state government related.

So, yes there seems to be a lot of work associated with converting the public transport system to run on hydrogen, atm.
Yes, the state government has been decentralising their offices for the past few years, moving some into the regions. I work with a couple of government departments and they have satellite offices in various locations in the east and north.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:55 AM   #1909
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Given the rate of hydrogen plants being announced it seems like a fairly logical next step.

The process will be endless until we work out teleportation...LOL
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-07-2022, 11:18 AM   #1910
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:

99% of the haters haven't actually driven one, or driven one for a good period of time to feel how good they are. This is what annoys me most, "I hate EV's because they make no noise, the government is trying to force me to buy one and i prefer the feel of an ICE vehicle."

When you actually drive one (A Tesla Model 3 for me) you realise that they are amazing vehicles with awesome tech, are super reliable and cheap to run. People need to take EV's for what they are, not what they "think" they are.

I wanted to hate the Tesla so much, I was always an EV hater, then I drove one and if I was in the financial position, I would buy one in a heartbeat. I also still love my manual V8's but im not so one eyed that I don't appreciate a good car when I drive one. It's the way of the future and as soon as people get their heads around that, the easier the transition will be.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:34 AM   #1911
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
99% of the haters haven't actually driven one, or driven one for a good period of time to feel how good they are. This is what annoys me most, "I hate EV's because they make no noise, the government is trying to force me to buy one and i prefer the feel of an ICE vehicle."

When you actually drive one (A Tesla Model 3 for me) you realise that they are amazing vehicles with awesome tech, are super reliable and cheap to run. People need to take EV's for what they are, not what they "think" they are.

I wanted to hate the Tesla so much, I was always an EV hater, then I drove one and if I was in the financial position, I would buy one in a heartbeat. I also still love my manual V8's but im not so one eyed that I don't appreciate a good car when I drive one. It's the way of the future and as soon as people get their heads around that, the easier the transition will be.
Daughter bought a Hybrid Rav4 drives just like any other car,but uses about 1/4 of the fuel.Thing I like about it is no need for electric plug but still the advantages of EV
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2022, 11:51 AM   #1912
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
99% of the haters haven't actually driven one, or driven one for a good period of time to feel how good they are.
Haters gonna hate. I'm a forever V8 fan, so can't see myself owning one in the near future, but have driven a model 3? for a short period, and it was pretty cool. Nice gadgetries and acceleration.

The only thing I hate is being smashed off the line by middle to late aged ladies in cardigans, and then getting the dirty smart alec smile at the next set of lights.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2022, 11:58 AM   #1913
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Haters gonna hate. I'm a forever V8 fan, so can't see myself owning one in the near future, but have driven a model 3? for a short period, and it was pretty cool. Nice gadgetries and acceleration.

The only thing I hate is being smashed off the line by middle to late aged ladies in cardigans, and then getting the dirty smart alec smile at the next set of lights.
I would love a Tesla as my daily and keep my V8's for the weekend.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:21 PM   #1914
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Daughter bought a Hybrid Rav4 drives just like any other car,but uses about 1/4 of the fuel.Thing I like about it is no need for electric plug but still the advantages of EV
The hybrid Rav4 isn't really that much better on fuel than the conventional ones. About 2 litres per 100 km better. So about 25%.

On the official figures you'd have to drive 50,000 km to pay for itself. Which isn't too bad.

They simply don't have the efficiency of plug in hybrids, which in most cases can do 70-80km on electric power alone. But they are significantly more expensive than basic hybrid systems like Toyota use here. I'm pretty sure they offer full PHEV overseas, but I don't recall them bringing them here.

Seems like most plug ins cost around an extra 10k, whereas the hybrid option on the Rav4 is around 2k. The cost benefit of a PHEV depends entirely on how much you drive it between recharges. If you did less than the EV range everyday you could technically never use the ICE engine. But if you drive hundreds of k's a day and never charge it, it would cost a lot more to run.

The interesting thing i'm seeing now is the soaring price of metals like Lithium, which EV's use a lot of. They have been telling us for the past few years that EV's will become affordable, but it seems to be a lot of them have actually increased price now because of soaring material prices. But then again, all cars are heading that way. Will they ever become truly affordable? Will we ever see a 25k drive away EV?

I read something recently about the Mach E. Initially it was cost neutral for Ford to sell them. Now with the soaring price of precious metals, they are now selling for a loss. I think Ford will just accept the losses on them though, at least for a while. Funny how it's the profits of ICE's keeping EV's afloat at the majors.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:22 PM   #1915
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Ohh yeah not quite the same, I am still sceptical on hybrids but they paved the way.

Speaking to taxi owners and hiring a camry hybrid they still use a bit of fuel to the point that a good TDi or 4 pot would not be far off without the battery issue sin 7-10 years time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
+1. Thats my plan.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2022, 12:32 PM   #1916
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WTI ($97) and Brent ($99) under $100. But pump prices really hitting its strides now.

I don't fully understand how all these "future" contracts work and how it affects current pump prices, but what is should realistically be the lag between oil price and what we see at the pump?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2022, 12:59 PM   #1917
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic

Thats literally how I ended up with my Model S. It was on a whim that I went for a Test Drive and I wanted to hate it (at the time, I had 37 cylinders of ICE at home). I loved it so much that I'm now down to only 20 cylinders at home. It was such a joy to drive and after a couple of years, the Model 3 made perfect sense (especially for the wife as she didn't like my Falcons for being too big and the Model S is the same size).

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator

I love my V8's but I can't justify driving them daily. So much money just "burning" without an asset.

Quote:
Exactly how I use them. I've done 4000kms in the last 12 months between the GTF and the Mustang and 30,000 kms in the Tesla. It would've cost me about $10,000 in fuel to do the same in the Mustang/GTF (working off a conservative $2 a litre which is now long gone!). Its been all but free in the Tesla. Done plenty of trips to Brissy and Melbourne in that time (actually driving to melbourne at the end of the month and will bring parts back for the Mustang from Herrod in the Tesla. I get free fast charging in the Tesla so the trip to Melbourne and back is free).

The money I save on fuel I put towards upgrades to the Mustang.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2022, 01:42 PM   #1918
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
WTI ($97) and Brent ($99) under $100. But pump prices really hitting its strides now.

I don't fully understand how all these "future" contracts work and how it affects current pump prices, but what is should realistically be the lag between oil price and what we see at the pump?
Thats great news hopefully pump prices drop after the present highs we have now.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2022, 02:06 PM   #1919
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

I think they say about 2 weeks. But the oil companies make it up as it goes to suit them, so who tf knows.
5 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2022, 03:37 PM   #1920
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

I read something recently about the Mach E. Initially it was cost neutral for Ford to sell them. Now with the soaring price of precious metals, they are now selling for a loss. I think Ford will just accept the losses on them though, at least for a while. Funny how it's the profits of ICE's keeping EV's afloat at the majors.
There is an interview with the CEO of Ford, Jim Farley, who points out the Mach E is what allows Ford to continue to make V8 Mustangs. The Fleet efficiency standards were why Ford went with the Mustang moniker for the Mach E giving the V8 another 10 years at least.

EVs are helping the ICE keep going as well.

34 minute mark of the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid...ature=youtu.be