Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-09-2022, 01:42 PM   #2071
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Some stations in metro melb are now $1.9x for standard ULP. Others still $1.5x. Not hard to see where it's heading in a couple of weeks, double whammy with excise.
Of course, with constant fuel deliveries, I can well imagine more of those petrol prices going to $1.90 in the next couple of weeks just as the 22cpl excise comes back…

Petrol affects me at the moment but I know that we’re about to be king hit with even higher diesel prices. How the heck are people suppose to live with possible $2.30 diesel, that’s gonna drive up the cost of freight and just about all shopping items. Well, I guess tighten the belt a few notches and slow the spending where possible…

Last edited by jpd80; 18-09-2022 at 01:47 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2022, 02:09 PM   #2072
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dunno what the ratio is now,but a few years ago the barrel price per dollar was about the same as our cents per litre price,So $100 barrel was about $1 per litre.
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2022, 02:21 PM   #2073
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
that’s gonna drive up the cost of freight and just about all shopping items.
Just working on next years price list as we speak, looks like another trip to the Cafe for waste Cottonseed oil.
Going to **** off a lot of smaller operators with under 4.5T GVM trucks. Larger trucks will have the diesel subsidies back then, smaller delivery, trade guys don't.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-09-2022, 05:36 PM   #2074
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont understand why Diesel is so much more than petrol?

Its not really fair in my opinion.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2022, 10:09 PM   #2075
tofski
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASWAGON View Post

Yep in Sydney 50c difference between lowest price petrol and diesel so 25% more ,when diesel is less refined and cheaper to produce
On another note why does E85 rise at the same rate as petrol too
tofski is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2022, 01:59 PM   #2076
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Simple. Diesel use is very popular/in demand, with trucks and 4WDs etc. The logic is, supply and demand...i.e. You want it, you pay.

Also a barrel of crude oil (159 litres) yields around 75 litres of petrol and 37 litres of diesel, 15 litres of kerosene etc.

Crude is around AUD $126.00 per barrel today, so that should help you calculate some prices.
Old 19-09-2022, 08:40 PM   #2077
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Old 20-09-2022, 12:08 AM   #2078
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
Simple. Diesel use is very popular/in demand, with trucks and 4WDs etc. The logic is, supply and demand...i.e. You want it, you pay.

Also a barrel of crude oil (159 litres) yields around 75 litres of petrol and 37 litres of diesel, 15 litres of kerosene etc.

Crude is around AUD $126.00 per barrel today, so that should help you calculate some prices.
OK so I've delivered fuel for. more than 25 years to servos and truckstops in the old days the load was probably 75% regular the balance diesel and premium......diesel sales have grown to around 60% diesel 40% regular 10% premium roughly......interesting that supermarket sites still operate at the old percentages in NZ
The latest 60% diesel to servos change happened around 4 years ago at least so why the price rises in the last year a year ago regular was around 1.80 - 2.oo$ and diesel was around a $ 1.10 nz prices current prices regular $2.66 and diesel 2.63 the only way the supply and demand argument rings true is if the crude that the world is being supplied is a light version with less diesel in it ....nothing I've heard has stated that

It's a scam

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2022, 01:10 AM   #2079
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's a decent hypothesis to describe the scam Mr Dog:

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2...oming-for-you/

basically it peaks out from below (ie in size of hydrocarbon chain)

Running all petrol at present and looking to go lighter - liquid sunshine
Old 20-09-2022, 02:36 AM   #2080
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"If a person understands the connection between energy consumption and the economy, such a rapid drop in energy supply looks like something that would likely be associated with economic collapse. The goal of politicians seems to be to keep citizens from understanding how awful the situation really is by reframing the story of the decline in energy supply as something politicians and economists have chosen to do, to try to prevent climate change for the sake of future generations."

https://ourfiniteworld.com/2022/08/2...-energy-story/

Gail writes up a pretty dark storm, and hope this stuff turns out to be wrong, but it does explain a lot of the top down climate madness and push to go electric. Scam eh...
Old 20-09-2022, 10:03 AM   #2081
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
"If a person understands the connection between energy consumption and the economy, such a rapid drop in energy supply looks like something that would likely be associated with economic collapse. The goal of politicians seems to be to keep citizens from understanding how awful the situation really is by reframing the story of the decline in energy supply as something politicians and economists have chosen to do, to try to prevent climate change for the sake of future generations."

https://ourfiniteworld.com/2022/08/2...-energy-story/

Gail writes up a pretty dark storm, and hope this stuff turns out to be wrong, but it does explain a lot of the top down climate madness and push to go electric. Scam eh...
Tends to happen when you shut down nuclear and coal plants, and try to replace it with intermittent sources. Constant blackouts are the only way they will learn, so hopefully it really hits the fan in europe this winter, just to wake the population up to the absolute ridiculousness of what is happening. It's going to be really interesting to see how the public are going to take it. Not that the media will report much about it if they riot, just like the Dutch farmers who blocked highways and airports with farm equipment for days on end and caused complete chaos right across the country. Media wouldn't touch the story with a ten foot pole. Can't show the people standing up for themselves, cause it might encourage others to do it.

The closing of nuclear plants is the real head scratcher for me, if they wanted zero emissions power it's the best option. Yet they are shutting them down. Why?

Even one of the greenpeace nuffies recently admitted their protests against nuclear over the last few decades was a big mistake, because it's actually a great zero emissions option.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2022, 10:10 AM   #2082
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

We haven't reached peak oil, it's simply just a case of governments making it damn near impossible to search and drill for more, all in the name of climate change. Especially in the USA. That is the key driver in oil price surging. It spiked as soon as Biden came into power and cancelled a bunch of oil pipelines, exploration licences and basically made it clear they would make it very hard on big oil to do their job finding more. They don't care if oil prices spike, it's exactly what they want, to force people out of ICE's and into EV's. Putins invasion a few months later just piled on top of that.

The most insane part is that america's electrical infrastructure is so bad it's just going to result in more widespread black outs. Commiefornia and Texas are already seeing big problems now.

The world is in for a massive shock over the next few years.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2022, 11:41 AM   #2083
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
OK so I've delivered fuel for. more than 25 years to servos and truckstops in the old days the load was probably 75% regular the balance diesel and premium......diesel sales have grown to around 60% diesel 40% regular 10% premium roughly......interesting that supermarket sites still operate at the old percentages in NZ
The latest 60% diesel to servos change happened around 4 years ago at least so why the price rises in the last year a year ago regular was around 1.80 - 2.oo$ and diesel was around a $ 1.10 nz prices current prices regular $2.66 and diesel 2.63 the only way the supply and demand argument rings true is if the crude that the world is being supplied is a light version with less diesel in it ....nothing I've heard has stated that

It's a scam
Of course. Isn't the rule of supply and demand essentially a scam?
Old 20-09-2022, 12:56 PM   #2084
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
We haven't reached peak oil, it's simply just a case of governments making it damn near impossible to search and drill for more, all in the name of climate change. Especially in the USA. That is the key driver in oil price surging. It spiked as soon as Biden came into power and cancelled a bunch of oil pipelines, exploration licences and basically made it clear they would make it very hard on big oil to do their job finding more. They don't care if oil prices spike, it's exactly what they want, to force people out of ICE's and into EV's. Putins invasion a few months later just piled on top of that.

The most insane part is that america's electrical infrastructure is so bad it's just going to result in more widespread black outs. Commiefornia and Texas are already seeing big problems now.

The world is in for a massive shock over the next few years.
Exactly there are still huge amounts of untapped oil supplies they're uneconomical to recover......will they leave it there because it's to risky to recover and let the planet grind to a halt I don't think so they will develop the technology to do it safely if someone can make a buck out of it,,it will happen

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 20-09-2022, 01:14 PM   #2085
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Interesting.....time will tell

I don't understand the bit about the pollys are keeping it all hush as to not create riots .......to think if this is clear knowledge the world officials can all get together to hush it all up so to not cause chaos throughout the world is about as believable as the world getting together secretly and adding micro chips to covid vaccinations

It takes a handful of countries years to scrap out a free trade agreement....but the whole world ca silence this

In all honesty how can you believe anything that comes out on the internet these days.....everyone has a. agenda ......I guess that's the damage covid has done ....well for me anyway??

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
2 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2022, 02:36 PM   #2086
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Interesting.....time will tell

I don't understand the bit about the pollys are keeping it all hush as to not create riots .......to think if this is clear knowledge the world officials can all get together to hush it all up so to not cause chaos throughout the world is about as believable as the world getting together secretly and adding micro chips to covid vaccinations

It takes a handful of countries years to scrap out a free trade agreement....but the whole world ca silence this

In all honesty how can you believe anything that comes out on the internet these days.....everyone has a. agenda ......I guess that's the damage covid has done ....well for me anyway??
They can do things without actually revealing what their intentions are quite easily. Bidens oil pipeline cancellations, making it harder for oil companies to get search permits etc can all make getting oil out of the ground much harder.

Of course they aren't going to say you're paying heaps more for oil now, because we are making an effort to kill off fossil fuels in the name of climate change.

Biden just made Putin the scapegoat, even though the price of oil started soaring a few months before the invasion. It started going up pretty much as soon as he became president, because of the steps he made within days to neuter big oil.

But yeah there is so much information out there now it's hard to separate truth from lies. Even the truth gets called lies to hide what people are really up to. Just look at the Hunter Biden laptop. It was labelled as Russian misinformation, right up until the information on the laptop was revealed, and suddenly the media didn't want to mention it anymore, despite denying it even existed for months.
Old 20-09-2022, 04:18 PM   #2087
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They can do things without actually revealing what their intentions are quite easily. Bidens oil pipeline cancellations, making it harder for oil companies to get search permits etc can all make getting oil out of the ground much harder.

Of course they aren't going to say you're paying heaps more for oil now, because we are making an effort to kill off fossil fuels in the name of climate change.

Biden just made Putin the scapegoat, even though the price of oil started soaring a few months before the invasion. It started going up pretty much as soon as he became president, because of the steps he made within days to neuter big oil.

But yeah there is so much information out there now it's hard to separate truth from lies. Even the truth gets called lies to hide what people are really up to. Just look at the Hunter Biden laptop. It was labelled as Russian misinformation, right up until the information on the laptop was revealed, and suddenly the media didn't want to mention it anymore, despite denying it even existed for months.
The problem with that theory is that a) there was no shortage of oil in the USA
B) the cancelled pipe line was for exporting Canadian sourced oil not US domestic
and c) the real issue in the USA was a shortage of refining capacity
due to plants shut down during covid with a backlog of maintenance.

Sales of gasoline and diesel have actually dropped in the US which is what’s
putting downwards pressure on fuel prices there……we’re getting similar but
to a lesser degree.

The real one for me is Chinese commitment to BEVs, that means a ton of
fuel sales permanently gone, sure it will take time but if oil companies
aren’t feeling the branch crack beneath them, they must be stupid…
2 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2022, 08:41 PM   #2088
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The problem with that theory is that a) there was no shortage of oil in the USA
B) the cancelled pipe line was for exporting Canadian sourced oil not US domestic
and c) the real issue in the USA was a shortage of refining capacity
due to plants shut down during covid with a backlog of maintenance.

Sales of gasoline and diesel have actually dropped in the US which is what’s
putting downwards pressure on fuel prices there……we’re getting similar but
to a lesser degree.

The real one for me is Chinese commitment to BEVs, that means a ton of
fuel sales permanently gone, sure it will take time but if oil companies
aren’t feeling the branch crack beneath them, they must be stupid…
I guess all the Arab countries who have nothing else but oil are quite happy to let all these customers permanently dissappear....because they have no oil left lol

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 20-09-2022, 08:45 PM   #2089
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

This really is ridiculous...

I prefer to fill up at BP but they raised there 91 price to $1.95 this arvo, i filled the wifes car up over the road @ United with 98 for $1.71
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2022, 08:02 AM   #2090
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys View Post

I prefer to fill up at BP but they raised there 91 price to $1.95 this arvo, i filled the wifes car up over the road @ United with 98 for $1.71
Why is this happening its out of control!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2022, 11:35 AM   #2091
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

45 cent disparity in Canberra between stations for 91, crazy. I paid 158 yesterday
Old 21-09-2022, 01:56 PM   #2092
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys View Post

It's just a money grab from some stations. There simply is no justification why some servos are sky high, while most others are reasonable.
Old 21-09-2022, 01:59 PM   #2093
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Why is this happening its out of control!
School holidays in some states too + public holidays. Usually prices go up then.
Old 21-09-2022, 02:09 PM   #2094
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dunno what an acceptable margin is,but todays terminal gate official price is petrol Sydney $1.50 diesel $1.80. Hobart petrol $1.57 diesel $1.84.Our local servos price $1.79 petrol $2.14 diesel
Old 21-09-2022, 02:26 PM   #2095
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
It's just a money grab from some stations. There simply is no justification why some servos are sky high, while most others are reasonable.
This... a couple of screen shots from today, as usual Coles/ Shell is the dearest.

I wonder if the disparity will continue now that all Coles servo's will be sold to Viva Energy in Geelong.

Last edited by GasoLane; 21-09-2022 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Spellun mistook
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2022, 04:35 PM   #2096
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Shell is pretty much always the most expensive.
Old 21-09-2022, 04:49 PM   #2097
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had interesting conversation with the local United man.Asked him why diesel is 10c litre dearer here than same company 10 kms down the road.He said fuel prices in Australia are always based on the close competition price.So if Ampol 400 mtrs away have their price at $2.15 then United will be $2.14 10 km down the road,if Woolworths is $2.05 then United will be $2.04.Doesn’t matter that the delivery came out of the same tanker on the same day.
Old 21-09-2022, 05:42 PM   #2098
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I guess all the Arab countries who have nothing else but oil are quite happy to let all these customers permanently dissappear....because they have no oil left lol
There’s a constant battle within OPEC members about how much oil they pump to increase revenue versus the reduction in price hurting the entire cartel. Couple that with Saudi Arabia being so guarded about its actual proven reserves……

To the above, ther doesn’t have to be a real shortage to drive the price up, we’ve lived that but equally, when you have major markets like China pulling back on diesel and petrol usage, then that must surely make OPEC think about diversification away from oil products into more energy production. That’s why we’re seeing oil companies getting into electrification and supply of charging infrastructure. They know change is coming and covering their bets…
2 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2022, 08:14 PM   #2099
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There’s a constant battle within OPEC members about how much oil they pump to increase revenue versus the reduction in price hurting the entire cartel. Couple that with Saudi Arabia being so guarded about its actual proven reserves……

To the above, ther doesn’t have to be a real shortage to drive the price up, we’ve lived that but equally, when you have major markets like China pulling back on diesel and petrol usage, then that must surely make OPEC think about diversification away from oil products into more energy production. That’s why we’re seeing oil companies getting into electrification and supply of charging infrastructure. They know change is coming and covering their bets…
Yes the whole oil industry revolves around smoke and mirrors.....you don't have to work in it long to figure that out , just greed and politics

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 22-09-2022, 06:42 AM   #2100
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes the whole oil industry revolves around smoke and mirrors.....you don't have to work in it long to figure that out , just greed and politics
Absolutely but the thing that amazes is how many rush to defend the oil industry because a change to BEV is just too huge mentally to digest…

Which makes little New Zealand’s EV decisions so heroic, it looks a little out there but the biggest issue is that they need the vehicles to fill the gaps of the diesel commercial vehicles they’re virtually strangling….

Establishing a viable alternative to using oil products is the first step in changing the National addiction to petrol and diesel. Having a choice that doesn’t include them is not for everyone but enough can switch in city areas to make a big difference.
2 users like this post: