Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Paul Gover Likes the new Focus!!!!!!!

Ford Focus: first drive review
By Paul Gover, Chief ReporterCarsguide04 August 2011EmailPrint+-
The Focus works so well because Ford has put all its small-car smarts into one package to create its first truly global car.
Paul Gover road tests and reviews the Ford Focus at its Australian launch.

Choosing the best small car for your driveway just got a whole heap harder. Until this week, the Volkswagen Golf was king of the kids and the Mazda3 was the best way to balance class against cash. But now there is a Ford Focus that runs head-on into the Golf - a former Carsguide Car of the Year champion - and takes the top selling Three down a peg.

It's priced from $21,990, drives more like a go-kart than a budget buy, and has the same combination of funky looks and technology that's already worked so well for the Fiesta. The Focus works so well because Ford has put all its small-car smarts into one package to create its first truly global car.

That means Australian buyers get a payoff in all sorts of ways, although we're not sold on the American-style auto shifter or a fourth-quarter delay for satnav assistance in a car that's claimed to be a techno champion. Ford Australia hopes the Focus - which it once planned to build at Broadmeadows, before refocussing on the Falcon and its local inline six - will give it the buyer boost it has always needed in the small- car class, which now provides around a quarter of the country's monthly showroom action.

"We decided to take a more radical step," global Focus boss, Gunnar Herrmann, says this week at the Australian preview of the third- generation car. "The vehicle starts to feel like a grown-up vehicle. But when you start pushing it around corners . . . it's a complete different dimension of driving and having fun."

VALUE

The starting price of $21,990 says Ford is serious about the new Focus. It's the same sticker as the outgoing starter car, despite a huge number of improvements and a shipping label marked 'Saarlouis'.

The Focus for Australia will come from Thailand from the middle of next year, but until then supplies will be limited because the German factory is running at full capacity. The basic lineup for the 2011 Focus is simple: hatchback and sedan bodies, three engines - 1.6-litre petrol, 2.0-litre turbodiesel and 2.0-litre petrol - with five-speed manual and six-speed DSG PowerShift auto, and four trim levels from Ambiente to the Titanium.

Basic equipment is everything you expect in the small class, from (electric) power steering and aircon to electric windows, audio and minor controls on the steering wheel, and a space-saver spare. But Ford is going funky and youthful and that means Bluetooth connectivity with voice control, right off the bottom, with a bunch of stuff added as you roll up the range. It's rear park sensors, alloys and cruise control headlining the Trend package; Sony sound, dual-zone aircon, auto lights and wipers, and a rear hatch spoiler on the Sport model; then active park assist, keyless entry and start, partial leather trim and 18-inch alloys on the Titanium.

Ford says satnav with a larger central screen is standard on Sport and Titanium, but not until fourth-quarter deliveries, and there is an optional convenience pack on the Trend with the auto lamp and wiper package for $300, with a $2300 Sports Executive pack on the Titanium that tips in bi-Xenon lamps, adaptive cruise control and a sunroof. The top line on the bottom line translates to $38,390 for the Titanium diesel auto with pack upgrade, either as a sedan or hatch.

TECHNOLOGY

Herrman talks passionately and in depth about everything from the steel in the new Focus through to the voice control system that could - but does not - make all the buttons on the dash redundant. "This vehicle has the most technology worldwide in a vehicle of this type. That's a proud story," he says.

The headline act for the Focus is automatic parking - seen first in Australia on the Toyota Prius - that also stars in the television advertising. You still have to control the brake and accelerator, but it does everything from measuring the gaps automatically to working the steering for a perfect reverse park. There are plenty of gags that could go here, but let's move on to the trip computer, keyless access and starting, even the shape and position of the steering wheel. As always, the really smart stuff - active cruise and bi-Xenon - costs more and the smartest of all, including road sign recognition, is only for Europe at the moment ...

DESIGN

The Focus looks edgy and youthful on the outside, youthful and very busy on the inside. You could even say the design of the central infotainment area is very Korean, like a Hyundai i45. The shape stands out from the traffic, and especially alongside a Golf or Holden Cruze, and that's entirely deliberate. Ford wanted to make a statement with the Focus and it has succeeded, creating a look that reflects movement. The basic body was done in England, then finessed in Germany and spun into the five-door hatch and a four-door sedan that looks more like a hatch. Inside, the seats are a global move that works surprisingly well but somehow the American-style auto shifter survived the Euro design focus to pacify the Homers of the world.

SAFETY

Five-star ANCAP says it all, from high-strength steel in the body to six airbags with a special shaping of the driver's cushion to minimise leg injuries. More importantly, as safety switches to prevention of crashes, the Focus gets ABS, ESP with smart programming, hill-start assist and a torque-vectoring control for the differential that helps keen drivers but also provides a safety net for anyone in slippery conditions or bad weather.

DRIVING

Focus or Golf? Golf or Focus? That is the obvious question as Carsguide heads for the new Ford and a surprisingly frank evaluation course that includes the nastiness of Punt Road, Melbourne in peak hour and slimy rally roads high in the Dandenongs.

It's immediately obvious that the Golf is still ahead on cosseting comfort and cabin simplicity, but the Focus hits with the youthful bodywork, look-at-me dashboard, great seats, and an eager response to all the controls. The 1.6-litre engine is dozy until you get beyond 4000 revs, but the diesel is solid and the 2.0-litre petrol is handy. The manual is short a gear by 2010 standards but the shift is good and the ratios are fine, while the Powershift is a bit too 'auto' for our liking. And a silly little switch at the base on the T-bar for manual changes in the Sport setting is a joke in a car that's aimed at keen drivers.

Ford quotes all its engine numbers using 95 RON fuel but says 91 is fine for petrol power. Still, the chassis is as taut as a Zumba-toned body, the steering almost talks, and the grip in corners is strong, consistent and impressive. There is some tyre roar at times but it's down from the previous Focus, and wind noise around the door tops can be excused in a Victoria wind rush.

Every time the road turns twisty the Focus is keen to play, and we cannot wait to see how the car will go as an RS - one of the Carsguide favourite funsters of recent years - once Ford gets beyond the basic stuff. The Focus is definitely a winner, definitely a four-star car, and definitely at the front of the small-car pack. It's on target and a car for drivers, not just passengers in the commuter belt.

VERDICT

Another winner from Ford and you have to wonder how the future would look for Broadmeadows if the car was still going to be built in Australia. It will take a back-to-back against the Volkswagen Golf to get a final result for the class championship but keen drivers should already be backing the blue oval.

My comment..it should have full leather trim and sat nav from day one..It would be annoying to buy a Titanium now, and find it has sat nav ,standard, 3 months later. Cruze SRi V has sat nav as standard..But its good FORD have a winning car..new ad for Titanium is okay..glad its not fingers walking or visiting friends on Facebook....

Old 06-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Paul Gover Likes the new Focus!!!!!!!

I noticed the satnav comment but personally I am very wary of inbuilt satnav as the maps are a real issue both for currency and cost.They are usually a dealer supplied and instal option so the portable ones suit me fine.
Glad to see the road noise is lower in this model.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Good to hear, strange coming from his gob though.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
bigdude1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
strange coming from his gob though.
Au Contraire. He seems to like the small Fords. Just take a look at the archived Fiesta/Focus reviews
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
pugdriver
Starter Motor

"Ford's first truly global car" - wasn't that the model T ??
pugdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

I'm sure, what he means is, This car is not/ will not be better than the AUSTRALIAN built, designed Cruze.
U guy's just didn't see this ..............
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hello, he's saying it's got the Mazda 3 covered (current one, at least), and is possibly a rival to the Golf. It's not often motoring journalists will put something in the same league as their beloved VW's...

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
My comment..it should have full leather trim and sat nav from day one..It would be annoying to buy a Titanium now, and find it has sat nav ,standard, 3 months later.
And that would have been me. Holding off my order if that's true. Can't find anything with mention of the satellite navigation system coming online in the forth quarter, but it's definitely listed on the Ford UK website. Though only with the 6-speaker Ford Audio setup, not the premium 9-speaker Sony stereo?

Will ring the dealer before I put any order in. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
Mad_Pom

If you compare the same trim levels across multiple countries, even within Europe. I believe it is up to the local countries sales and marketing team to select features that are required for their markets.
Spain will often have power folding mirros on virtually all models, as some of their streets are so narrow, that unless they fold, they can get knocked off. UK always has a pollen filter fitted, if you have AC, but that is never an option in Australia.
You can only go by what Ford Australia marketing and sales publish to avoid disappointment.
Mad_Pom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hate to mine up an old thread, but his completly contradicted himself in todays paper, complete moron.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Yes, and he seems to think the the Toyota Corolla is the best small car that money can buy, all becauce the Fords "busy" interior drives him "batty". So a six year old design with the thirstiest, least powerful engine and an ancient 4-speed auto for the same price as a up-to-date Golf, 3 or Focus is the best small car in his eyes.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if its written by Paul Gover dont bother reading it, absolute rubbish
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

How typical of Paul Gover to praise absolute crap. He somehow greatly prefers the Commodore to the Falcon, and now he sings the praises of the Corolla? I wonder if he's actually driven the cars he writes about.

All I see in the Corolla is dated design, safety that lags behind the pack, a notchy six-speed manual and antiquated auto. The car exhibits an engine that's harsh when revved yet makes all its torque up at the 'bad end' of the rev range. The steering is overly light (no resistance at all), with an on-centre dead spot (reminds Gover of his beloved Commodore?) and no feel whatsoever. When turning the wheel, you feel like it has no relationship with the direction of the front wheels. How did Toyota manage that? I'm not going to even mention the marshmallow-soft chassis which exhibits a great disposition to understeer when pushed. The car isn't even refined, and it doesn't even ride nicely. Yes, the Focus is definitely past its prime, but it's nowhere near Corolla standards just yet.

What on earth am I missing in the Corolla and Commodore, Paul?

Last edited by 4.0i OHC; 24-03-2012 at 07:46 PM.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwil
if its written by Paul Gover dont bother reading it, absolute rubbish
To true, he is a spanner.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post