Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-11-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
BlackLS

Default ArgonEF now in a LS Focus

Well after waiting exactly 4 months I am nowa happy owner of a Black Sapphire LS Focus LX.

I've had 2 drives of it, from the back of the dealer to the front with RATT, then from Smithfield to North Sydney. Even the city drive I thoroughly enjoyed it, and only mistakenly turned on the windscreen wipers once. There were not quality problems with the car that I noted, from what I can see the bumper colour matches the body, and the car is put together really well.

I love the LX's global close/open, foggies, gearbox, steering, handling(graceful, but solid, even on Parramatta Rd), and the engine. Doesn't have the low down torque of a say SR20 SSS but midrange is superb! It is really smooth and quiet inside, so much more refined than the EF.

Anyways, I'll get some photos soon, I would have some now but my phone battery is very low and won't allow photo mode.

For those out there that are concidering buying a new Focus I wouldn't heistate to order one. Talk to your dealer about what paints turn out the best.

This calls for a name change.

Cheers all,
BlackLS

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 05:01 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Nice pickup, looking forward to seeing the pics.

Even going to an LR from an EF was a huge jump in refinement although sometimes I really really miss the 4L.
Old 30-11-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
RATT

Great to see you are happy Chris.

I thought with a 4 month wait it could be hard to get excited.
Old 30-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I think RATT might have spent more than an afternoon ensuring that puppy was PD'd to within an inch of its life!!!

Great job, nice to see you're happy and congrats!!!
Old 30-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #5
joshf2
striped

good to hear you finally got your car chris

looking forward to seeing it soon
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 11:37 PM   #6
WASP
Whipple Induced

Welcome to the wee Focus family!! There a damn fine little car IMO.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:29 AM   #7
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Mmmmmmmmm, Black LX... way to go! I think in black they look great.... decreases the black rubber look of the car.... and that black rear spoiler doesnt stand out as much. Any plans for the car?

Congrats again!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 11:33 AM   #8
BlackLS

Thanks all, I'm sorta glad I didn't get lower springs in it yet, the front bar only clears my driveway by 5mm! The car is unbelivebly great. I did a back to back drive with my brothers N14 SSS and the only thing it has on it is more torque 1000-2000RPM, other than that it s***s on it. I've done 300km so far, and used over half the tank, but thats "running it in" driving style, peak hour traffic X2 and a National Park run (did it after work). Even now its free'd itself up a lot and the engine is a lot more punchy than driving.

I'm ****ed off tho because the cartlidge in my left knee moved overnight and I can't use the clutch how I would liked this morning.

These are the only photos i took, with my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Mmmmmmmmm, Black LX... way to go! I think in black they look great.... decreases the black rubber look of the car.... and that black rear spoiler doesnt stand out as much. Any plans for the car?

Congrats again!

I plan to change the plates to gold on black or to euro plates, TFT screen in glovebox, dvvd and digital tv receiver under the seat input by stereo AUX plug, 12" sub, and Response Class D amp, connected to stock stereo feeding from speaker out.

After changing insurance company, wheels and perhaps slightly lower springs.

Its a beautiful car and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anyone getting one.
Old 30-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
BlackLS
yum

Its been exactly 2 years since I got the car and its still a pleasure to drive. I smile everytime I punt it into a corner. Looking at the above photos I can't believe the car was so high!

I'm at 99,000 kms, warranty problems I've had:
Aircon pipe had a leak
CV boot split
Throttle position sensor fault
Pinging (fixed with a flash, bar 91 RON)
Squeak from driver's seat rail
Windscreen washer jet loose
Passenger rear window trim loose

Last edited by BlackLS; 30-11-2007 at 02:49 PM. Reason: hit post before finished
BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
WASP
Whipple Induced

That's great news BlackLS.
You reminded me that we to purchased our LS Focus Zetec around this time in 2005. My wife has only done around 23,000 km since then and it still looks as good as when new (possibly better in fact due to my polishing!!).

We've had some issues in the begining mainly caused by dealer service neglect which was dissapointing at the time, but overall it's been a very nice solid little car.

Colville
Old 30-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #11
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Good to hear you're still happy with yours Chris.

Still get excited to get home after work (off the train) to drive mine during the week! Only a few little grips, but overall very happy with my purchase. After 34020km's, still a very happy little camper with many plans set into the future

And yeah, I know what you mean about the ride height!! Yikes
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #12
BlackLS
yum

I'm pretty impressed with how this car has stood the test of time. Even though its had nearly 100,000kms of HARD driving it still feels really tight. Compared to driving a 60,000km Terrritory where interior trim was rattly, heaps of play in indicator stalk and other controls etc.

My car has been down WSID, forded swollen causeways, on a defensive driving skidpan, along ugly fire trails (before lowering ;) ), 1200km a day roadtrips interstate and helped move GF house, and I did move the fishtank ;).

Old 03-12-2007, 02:19 AM   #13
4dlvr
4dlvr

nice work BlackLS, did you run your car down the quarter at wsid??? if so what times did you pull. ive been very intrested in how fast they go compared to lr zetecs. ive drivn both and i think that even though it may not be, the lr zetec feels faster and sportier.
cheers
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 01:08 PM   #14
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

same here my 05 LS Zetec has now in axsess of 50000KM and is still new tight no rattles despite living on a dirt road.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #15
BlackLS
yum

4dlvr, I ran the car when it was stock, spare etc intact, bald NCT5s on high tyre PSI. Did a 16.2 for the first run then the next 2 runs did 16.5 due to heat soak.

I've been dying to do another night with a more solid rear end, lower intake box/reso removed, advanced timing etc. I can imagine high 15s but thats just that.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #16
zetec
Zoom Zoom

An auto LS CL should smoke even a manual LR Zetec. The LS just has too much Torque. Trust me, I've tried... The LS feels lifeless and dead compared the rorty LR, but I assure you the LR gets its butt handed to it on a platter in a straight line.

LR's still smoke LS through corners though.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:44 AM   #17
4dlvr
4dlvr

BlackLS 16.2 is a awsome run for any na 4cyl let alone a stock car.
congrats. thats enough to put many 6cyl to shame
ild be happy to crack the 16's with my lr zetec
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 10:06 PM   #18
pc007
silverxr6t

Congrats we got ours in tonic with the free safety pac, im taking it in on thursday for the 3k check so far i have only noticed it seems to ping for a second when you hit the go pedal (windows down), im still unsure about fuel though in city driving, just have to wait for a few more k's. We it took to sydney about two weeks ago and it felt just like my xr6 (accept for when you went to overtake) but it did use half the fuel.
so over all not a bad car, i just wish my wife could drive a manual and we had a bit more money for an xr5

Pete
pc007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #19
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dlvr
BlackLS 16.2 is a awsome run for any na 4cyl let alone a stock car.
congrats. thats enough to put many 6cyl to shame
ild be happy to crack the 16's with my lr zetec
This focus is faster than my AU XR6. : I ran a time of 16.09 on race slicks and around 16.2 on street trim. Spare tyre out. And the focus is 2 Cyl's less and half the litres. :hihi:
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 08:12 PM   #20
zetec1 2005
Starter Motor

well,ive been debating recently whether to get rid of my 2005 Zetec and get a XR6 turbo or Xr8.
Basically because I wanted something faster and I do like the falcons.
But Ive decided to keep the focus.
First job are lowered and Eibach springs.Then Bilstein shocks.After this good set of rubber.
Then in 2008 its off to work on the performance side,I do want some more.I regret getting the auto-but at least its a sequential.Exhaust,air intake,tuning,Ill be looking more into this stuff.Its difficult because there is so much out there...
Interior...that blue lighting looks ok.I think one of first things Ill do is get rid of the horrible silverish centre panel around the radio and air-con controls.
The Euro-parts site has climate control kits for sale.Are they compatible for our focus'???
Nice car BTW,that black looks wicked.
zetec1 2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2007, 01:01 AM   #21
BlackLS
yum

Latest pic from a few months back.

I did have ALL the rear light blacked out for a while until made a post about the legalities... Your insurance could be void (but it looked so sweet!)

And the interior light mods.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=57064

All the mods I've done are pretty cheap and always DYI, for example with the rotors, I knew I wanted an upgrade, but I waited for the 60,000kms until the standard rotors were worn to illegal, and replaced them with the slotted (which were cheaper than OEM at the time). Lower airbox/resonator and advancing ignition timing was a free mod etc. I recon you could get a manual n/a LS/LT into the 15s for less than $100.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #22
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Still love my LS to pieces. However it needs some TLC which I'll give plenty of during the Xmas break.

Still wanna get those black headlights w/ Angel eyes. They're on the local fleabay now.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #23
BlackLS
yum

I hit 100,000kms yesterday stuck in traffic on Southern Cross Drive.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #24
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

What sort of tyres you running at the moment Chris?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #25
BlackLS
yum

All tyres are 215/45/17 (as opposed to 205/50/17 stock), Maxxis MZ-01s at the front and some sort of Falkens at the rear. Equal grip in the dry, but in the wet the back end (Falkens) skate around everywhere. Got oversteer? :

Maxxis's are awesome, highly recommended. In the dry they are great, in the wet they're even better.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #26
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Thanks. Noise was my other question. How do they compare with the Goodyears? Does the wider tread makes them alot louder?
Old 12-12-2007, 01:01 PM   #27
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots
Thanks. Noise was my other question. How do they compare with the Goodyears? Does the wider tread makes them alot louder?
To be honest I couldn't really tell you. I always have music on.