Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 24-01-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

Default Pic posting etiquette

Is there a pic posting etiquette that we should follow and if there isn't should there be ?

I think we should NOT post large images directly into a thread, use a link or a thumb instead.
Plates should be blacked out in pics posted on the web.
If the link is to a large image, specify the size of the image.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 05:07 PM   #2
3Toed
The Smoking Sloth™

:werd:

And link all Non Work Safe content and add a NWS disclaimer. Just in case... :P
Amen Brother.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 05:09 PM   #3
Simmo
White Lightning

no direct linking of offsite images. post a link but not the picture and its unfair to eat their bandwith.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
Dez
Banned

i dont see anything wrong with the rules you mentioned....just want to clarify something

i've always thought that blacking out a plate was for the following reasons

if a car is heavily modified (stereo equipment or engine mods etc) but still is not easily identified by rare wheels or somethin like that, then exposing the plate shows people who's car it is, and then if they saw it parked somewhere etc, they'd know exactly what it has in it...

and for warranty voiding issues, burnouts, drag races etc etc...

surely pictures of cars parked in a parking lot (unless they fall under 1 of the 2 above) would be fine with the plates displayed...

can someone clear this up for me?

i agree on the size related stuff though. i have broadband, they cause no problem for me, but for DU users and people watching their bandwidth usage, its definitely a good thing to do what goran suggested
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #5
rodderz

Also illegal activities either in picture form or video are not to be posted on AFF.... leaves whoever liable to prosecution as well as maybe this forum if it's on a cruise organised here...not to mention a bad name to the police. This inlcudes anything a copper would pull you over for on the road eg. burnouts, donuts, street drags etc. Looks good to us car folk but not for public viewing

Agreed with the larger files stuff too, the dialup users gotta know whats too big to sit and wait for a download...may also make the site run slower

Last edited by rodderz; 24-01-2005 at 05:29 PM.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 05:48 PM   #6
trueblue
01 Falcon Ute

Yeah.. shouldnt post large pics... Thumbnails are good... attachments are better.. or try www.imageshack.us they will host your pic and give you thumbnail links and all that junk

WTD mags to suit AU Falcon ute, AU XR rims or BA 18" xr rims. PM ME
trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 06:44 PM   #7
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Regarding posting pics with number plates. I believe if you are posting pics of your own car you should be able to leave them showing. If however, you are posting pics of another car from a meet or whatever you should blank them out.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 06:56 PM   #8
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

In regards to posting NOT WORK SAFE MATERIAL. I've noticed you can use some smilies when creating a thread. How about adding this one to the list of usable smilies for threads to warn that a thread is NWS.

Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 07:26 PM   #9
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Large pictures don't bother me so long as I don't have to scroll... I guess it comes back to the resolution you use to view the forums in. I think the "dialup beware" tag can go along way if you are worried about loading speeds..

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 07:55 PM   #10
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
Regarding posting pics with number plates. I believe if you are posting pics of your own car you should be able to leave them showing. If however, you are posting pics of another car from a meet or whatever you should blank them out.
No objections there.
I mentioned it 'cause I posted some pics awhile ago and the owner of one of the cars had a go at me for not blanking the plates, so now i blank the plates of all the pics I post, unless its a pic of a car I found on the web that didn't have its plates blanked.
Old 24-01-2005, 08:00 PM   #11
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGhIa
Yeah.. shouldnt post large pics... Thumbnails are good... attachments are better.. or try www.imageshack.us they will host your pic and give you thumbnail links and all that junk
The free acount on this site lets you only store 25 images.
There are other sites like photobucket.com (25MB) and 50megs.com
The problem with 50megs is that you have to create your own code and thumbs, a bit of a pain. Photobucket is good, you just need to create a few accounts if you want to post more pics.
Old 24-01-2005, 08:07 PM   #12
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

So this is what I have so far.

1) No direct linking of offsite images or posting of images directly into a thread.
2) Use attachments or even better, links.
3) Number plates to be blanked out.
4) No posting of illegal activity, burnouts, street drags etc.
5) Large pics(250kb+) to have a size warning.

What do you guys think ?
Old 25-01-2005, 01:51 AM   #13
rodderz

Sounds good Goran

Friendly to all users!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 02:01 AM   #14
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Bitch, Bitch, Bitch
I've got dial up and i don't care if it takes 2 minutes for a page to load. There is benefit in opening pages in another window. Read other threads while pics load.

The show and shine section should have pictures, if you don't want to look at pictures don't look there. Most other threads have a minimal amount of pics anyway.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 02:39 AM   #15
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
Bitch, Bitch, Bitch
I've got dial up and i don't care if it takes 2 minutes for a page to load. There is benefit in opening pages in another window. Read other threads while pics load.

The show and shine section should have pictures, if you don't want to look at pictures don't look there. Most other threads have a minimal amount of pics anyway.

u make a pretty good point there...
Old 25-01-2005, 08:45 AM   #16
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must add that I don't agree with the never linking images from another site. I think that linking images is fine .. as long as they aren't too big. They shouldn't be wider than the page at 1024x768 ... preferably they shopuld be 800x600 or less.
JADED6 makes ia valid point in that dial up users can manage their sessions and load pic threads in another window. If pictures are kept at a reasonable size then this should be fine.
My opinions only of course...
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 09:12 AM   #17
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I agree with Jeff. Linking pics is fine so long as they are a reasonable size. Its also important to note that the majority of people are now on BB so, while still taking dial up into account of course, reasonable sized images in threads should be more than ok for most people.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #18
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

I agree with Jeff too. I think 1024x768 should be the maximum, preferably 800x600 as mentioned. If you want to post the full sized one, link to it.
I hate having to scroll horizontally.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 09:53 AM   #19
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

lol i got dial up and im not worried about the size as long as theres no sideways scrolling action lol

but i resize mine then host them in www.tinypic.com it keeps all pics down to 250k maximum.

cos most of the time its worth the wait lol :P

Member of the MTAS
Founder of TTM (team twink motorsport)

Founder of the AFFDDPS (Australian Ford Forums Drink Driving Punishment Squad)
champsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 11:55 AM   #20
Dez
Banned

just another suggestion here...

when quoting a post with pictures in it, remove the photo links so that only the post itself is quoted, and not having the same pics twice over on every page...

i think its fine if you quote say, 1 of the pics, as a refresher to what car your discussing etc, but if there is multiple pics, cut the rest of the images out...

if that wasnt written well enough to make sense of, its because i have a splitting headache and just woke up, but here is an example of what i mean....

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...4&page=2&pp=40

post 48
Old 25-01-2005, 12:00 PM   #21
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

It doesn't bother me in the slightest, as I use cable, I was just making a sugestion.
Anyway its not up to me, its up to the administrators, but I do think that there needs to be something posted about pic posting etiquette.

Until then, post away like mad buggers, the bigger the better and then maybe one of the admins will think about posting up something.
Old 25-01-2005, 12:32 PM   #22
EFFalcon
Last warning

*links to a 10mb bitmap*
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #23
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTE8
It doesn't bother me in the slightest, as I use cable, I was just making a sugestion.
Anyway its not up to me, its up to the administrators, but I do think that there needs to be something posted about pic posting etiquette.

Until then, post away like mad buggers, the bigger the better and then maybe one of the admins will think about posting up something.
We don't want to have to post rules about this that and the other ... I agree on an etiquette but we want people to take the time and think rather than end up with a billion rules, regulations and 'suggestions' making it feel like you are logging onto a concentration camp. If people post something too big.. a simple comment will suffice and they can resize it or link it or whatever.
I am going to give your last sentence all the comment it deserves ... none
Old 25-01-2005, 01:03 PM   #24
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwob
just another suggestion here...

when quoting a post with pictures in it, remove the photo links so that only the post itself is quoted, and not having the same pics twice over on every page...

i think its fine if you quote say, 1 of the pics, as a refresher to what car your discussing etc, but if there is multiple pics, cut the rest of the images out...

if that wasnt written well enough to make sense of, its because i have a splitting headache and just woke up, but here is an example of what i mean....

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...4&page=2&pp=40

post 48
I am with you ... when you quote .. if there is a linked pic it gets relinked.