Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
brownieXR8

Default Short Shifter

I've found quite a few short shifters on ebay, This One in particular and was wondering if anyone had any feedback or opinions of these compared to the $400+ items that are advertised here locally? Are they an inferior item, or is it just the old story of us Aussies getting ripped off again?

I've ready Josh's install how to Here and it doesn't look like too hard a job to DIY on an AU S3 XR8.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
brownieXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
zakjames

Default Re: Short Shifter

I looked into this not too long ago. I MSG'd the seller and he said it wouldn't fit. I also started a thread asking others experiences and the general consensus was it didn't fit - something due to the shape of the shifter being slightly different. However if this product works for some reason please let us know as i'm keen for a relatively decent cheap short shifter.
zakjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
brownieXR8

I know Antwon has put a Mustang short shifter on his XR6. If they are the same T5 'box I don't see why it wouldn't fit. I'm more concerned about the quality. I'm not paying $400+ plus locally if I can get the same thing from the US for 10% of that.

Old 19-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Are you guys talkin short shifter kits or just a shortened shifter stick?? Many confuse them..

You can get a shortened stick that just bolts to the shifter assy relativly cheaply if you want the short looking shift lever, or you get the kit which changes the lever and part of the shifter mechanism on top of the box..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
brownieXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
or you get the kit which changes the lever and part of the shifter mechanism on top of the box..
This is what we are talking about, and is the item in the ebay link I posted.

Old 19-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
MAD
Petro-sexual

Any T5 shifter will fit the Aussie T5. Some American ones used to have a lean slightly to the driver, that was about all that was different from what I could ever find.

Check out MGW for one of the best short shifters around.
http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_1990-2004.shtml

With the way the aussie dollar is going they are an absolute bargain too.
Old 19-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
brownieXR8

Cheers MAD, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Old 19-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
sblythman

sorry to jump in here but i already have a short shifter (from svo i believe) but the stick is still long. what are some good short levers that people have bought. i know the t-series from is shorter but what else???
sblythman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #9
WannabeXP

I bought just a lever and cut it down, retaining the stock shifting mechanism.
I cut about 1.5" out of the middle and Mig'd it back together.
It works well and i find it even improved the feel of the shift.
I dont have ANY experience what so ever with short shifters but i find my solution ideal for people with a lower budget.
Cheers Jason
05/2000 AUII XR6 5sp|Pacemaker 4480 Competition Headers|Lukey catback|Tickford Azzuro's|Impco LPG Conversion
WannabeXP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #10
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

T-series lever for the win. Although costly well worth it in my opinion. Having said that though I am sure that it can be replicated for a much smaller price by either buying aftermarket or cutting and welding your current one.

However, for a short throw shifter mechanism. I have not driven with one although now that I am pulling my gearbox out I am contemplating buying one of Mal Wood. They are on his site at $275. http://www.malwoodauto.com.au/marketplace.html

Just curious if anyone has used one of these before? and what they think of them.

PS. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #11
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive got one in my xr6, it wasnt the easiest thing to install, had to drop the gearbox down. But it fits no worries and improves the feel of the shifts so much. Also be warned, on the shortest setting the shifts are very, very short, takes some getting used to.
Antwon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
brownieXR8

Well I've just ordered the shifter linked above from ebay, so I'll let you know how it goes when I get a chance to fit it.

Old 22-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownieXR8
Well I've just ordered the shifter linked above from ebay, so I'll let you know how it goes when I get a chance to fit it.
Looks as good as the price. I will go on your feedback. If it all goes well i too will get one.
Does anyone anticipate that this would be an effective alternative to the billet shifters available in aus?

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys
Looks as good as the price. I will go on your feedback. If it all goes well i too will get one.
Does anyone anticipate that this would be an effective alternative to the billet shifters available in aus?
Nah man a short leaver doesnt do much. Short throw shifter are sic.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
brownieXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
Nah man a short leaver doesnt do much. Short throw shifter are sic.
It's not a short lever, it is a short shifter, roughly (hopefully exactly) equivalent to the billet / rip shifters available locally for $400 or more.

Old 22-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #16
*rayman*
454 Power

I brought quite a few of these exact same shifters you linked to in the ebay ad a few years ago. I sold them on Fordforums.com.au to a number of people, and they all were very happy with their purchase. I only stopped bringing them in cause i wasn't allowed to sell them, because i wasn't an AFF 'vendor'.

The only thing that was disappointing was the quality of the bolts in the kit (easily fixed with a trip to a boltmasters store or something). The quality of the product was pretty good allround. One thing also, the standard knob would not fit on the thread, the thread was slightly bigger. Nothing a drill and tap wont fix on your knob (sounds bad i know), or an aftermarket knob.

Good luck with the install.

I've just got back into a manual xr6, so i'm looking for a short shifter now myself. Was trying to locate an au xr8 handle (was yellow factory shift handle) like the one i had previously, it was good and shifted firmly.

TOY - 68 SS 454 Camaro
*rayman* is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #17
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all of you that are waiting for feed back from other members, i just said ive got one, had it since Christmas time. i do highly recommend it. How ever like has been said the stock knob didnt fit on it, the inside of the knob is plastic so i just drilled it out, and started turning it back on by hand, which made a new thread. Kept turning it till i couldnt turn it anymore, then back it off, blow out the shavings and keep going, it fits nice and tight now just like it did with the old shifter.
Old 22-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #18
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwon
all of you that are waiting for feed back from other members, i just said ive got one, had it since Christmas time. i do highly recommend it. How ever like has been said the stock knob didnt fit on it, the inside of the knob is plastic so i just drilled it out, and started turning it back on by hand, which made a new thread. Kept turning it till i couldnt turn it anymore, then back it off, blow out the shavings and keep going, it fits nice and tight now just like it did with the old shifter.
sorry, didnt realise you were discussing this exact item.

Current
Previous

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 22-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #19
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pics of mine:

Old 27-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #20
borry
Now With 2 Cylinders More

hmmmm, seems very interesting! looks like ill also be ordering one within the next few days! for $75-80 bucks, cant really complain! might jus tbe a bit of a mission to fit it
borry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #21
borry

item was just purchased. $72.26AUD inc postage. Unit pics + Installation pics to follow. Fingers crossed its all good. If not, ive just done 2 x cartons of beer :-(
Old 29-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #22
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you got a good price mate, mine was $130 posted. Its not too hard to fit, you have to drop the rear of the gearbox out of its mounts. If your fairly mechanically minded you will be able to do it no worries.
Old 22-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #23
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

had a conversation with a fellow on the weekend re: short shifters. He is under the impression that due to the reduced throw, you change the timing of going in gear (particularly of 3rd). He believes that this will eventually chew away at the syncros.
Any opinions or thoughts?

Current
Previous

Old 23-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #24
borry

hmmm interesting.

All i know is that ive since fitted mine, took about 2 hours or so from start to finish, and its the best +/-$75 mod ever.

as per antwon's, mine was very similar if not the exact same.
Old 23-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #25
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
had a conversation with a fellow on the weekend re: short shifters. He is under the impression that due to the reduced throw, you change the timing of going in gear (particularly of 3rd). He believes that this will eventually chew away at the syncros.
Any opinions or thoughts?
The timing of going in gear is still in your control though by how long you have your foot on the clutch.

I havent got a short shifter but a very simple mod that I reckon is well worth doing is removing the rubber bush between the shift lever and the connector that goes to the gearbox. Pull it out and pack it with washers to tighten it all up, and try shifting gears - much more precise and direct because there isn't a bit of flogged out rubber flexing all over the place. I have done this and got a mate to chop 30mm off my stock shift lever and it's the best money I have never spent on the car - cost me nothing to do but a huge improvement.

And for those that dont know, the T series lever is just a stock one with a bend in it. Nothing fancy.
Old 23-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #26
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok. Ive never heard of replacing the rubber piece before. Hmm, interesting. Im personally not keen on the shift chop, but its seeming more like money i can spend something else.

A fellow i know just bought a lathe to have at home. Might hit him up instead then and throw in som washers... But you do realise b2tf, im gonna have to fork out for the washers, and possibly a 6 pack lol

Current
Previous

Old 23-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #27
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
But you do realise b2tf, im gonna have to fork out for the washers, and possibly a 6 pack lol
Heheh, not when youve got a mate at an engineering shop.......
Old 24-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #28
FrogXA
Blown BF XR8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
And for those that dont know, the T series lever is just a stock one with a bend in it. Nothing fancy.
Not quite, it has 2 bends in it, one sideways and one rearwards. It is also about 30mm shorter. I've got one in my XR8, along with a Mal Wood short shifter and find it to be a good combination. Might try your idea about removing the rubber through. If any one is interested, the part number for the T series lever is TAU37C305A although when I got mine the parts guy said there were only 13 left.
FrogXA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #29
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
The timing of going in gear is still in your control though by how long you have your foot on the clutch.
Its controlled by the shifter not the clutch. The clutch is just for stopping/taking off and takes the load off the gears so they can be taken out of mesh easy enough for Joe Blow to shift gears. The syncro will still flog out with a short shifter assembly if snap changing, It will flog them out quicker than a stock shifter because your mashing the syncro cones together faster and not giving them enough time to work.

Short shifter are great but you still need to shift at a sensible speed to keep your box healthy.
Old 25-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #30
borry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Baron

Short shifter are great but you still need to shift at a sensible speed to keep your box healthy.
I agree totally

Like most things, if your sensible I doubt it would make much of a difference to your box at all. You can still slam it into gear with a standard shifter. Just because you have a short shifter doesnt mean your going to be doing race spec gear changes all the time.