Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-12-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
XRchic
Hello

Default At what distance can speed cameras catch you?

I was wondering how close you have to be to a speed camera before if can nab you. Is it 50m or so or even up to a km away??? Obviously line of sight is required, but distance I am not sure about.

Also, can they get you in both directions at once?

Reason I ask is because I was coming down the freeway and spotted the camera about 500m away, down the hill. It was facing me, on the other side of the road. I slowed down pretty quick but I dont know if a) I was too far away and b) whether it was only going for the uptrack cars... or both.

I guess I will find out in a week or so!

Thanks

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
I was wondering how close you have to be to a speed camera before if can nab you. Is it 50m or so or even up to a km away??? Obviously line of sight is required, but distance I am not sure about.

Reason I ask is because I was coming down the freeway and spotted the camera about 500m away, down the hill. It was facing me, on the other side of the road. I slowed down pretty quick but I dont know if a) I was too far away and b) whether it was only going for the uptrack cars... or both.

Thanks
This thread might answer some of your questions

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=71157

I dont know why I think this but I thought the had a range of 800m :

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the ones on Hi Way patrol cars can get you over the other side of a hill ,
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
No they can't.

How does the copper identify you if you are on the other side of a hill?
Apart from the obvious problems with the laws of physics.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
No they can't.

They use those special over the horizon camera's..... :
Old 09-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #6
Kommandant
ED4LYFE

I think he missed the joke.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic

Thanks
I have not seen the type of camera used in SA but these this may be relavent. QLD ones work at about 20m.
1) How good is the lens of this camera that it can pick a number plate at 500m, that is 25% longer than a drag strip.
2) How often is there more than 1 vehicle in a 500m metre stretch of road and if there is how does the camera tell which one is speeding?

And OutbackJack.....

Somewhere, over the horizon, way out west....
Cars got booked for speeding, once by a government pest.....

We're off the see the coppers, the wonderful coppers of Aus..
Because, because, because, because they're the wonderful coppers of Aus.....

Ok, so I am bored.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #8
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
I have not seen the type of camera used in SA but these this may be relavent. QLD ones work at about 20m.
1) How good is the lens of this camera that it can pick a number plate at 500m, that is 25% longer than a drag strip.
2) How often is there more than 1 vehicle in a 500m metre stretch of road and if there is how does the camera tell which one is speeding?

And OutbackJack.....

Somewhere, over the horizon, way out west....
Cars got booked for speeding, once by a government pest.....

We're off the see the coppers, the wonderful coppers of Aus..
Because, because, because, because they're the wonderful coppers of Aus.....

Ok, so I am bored.
Ahhh yes the wonderful coppers of oz. I passed a police patrol car the other day (opposite directions) at 180kph. He didn't take the slightest bit of notice. Soon to be fond memories......

I'm bored too.... slow work day.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #9
vectra-racer
pom racer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
Quote:
No they can't.

shouldnt this be in the "dumb things people wish they hadnt said" thread in the 'bar' forum??

cops using laser speed guns can catch you as much as 3km away , all they need is a clear line of sight.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #10
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i lost my liscense two years ago from car radar,i was doing 40kmh over when i slowed before crest of hill and he came over hill and did u turn and booked me ,i even looked at his car mounted setup when i questioned speed.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #11
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Yeh it's about 40m for the Mutinova's, beyond that they lose their accuracy greatly.

Check out this site

http://www.buyradardetectors.com.au/myths.html

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 09:50 PM   #12
FPV329
Workin' for the BOSS

I think you will find you'll be O.K. XRCHIC. They have a very narrow angle they work on and you just about have to be on top of them.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:31 PM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Play it safe. Shadow someone going faster than you. That way they get busted and you don't :P Worked for me ever since I got my licence :

I think it's about only a few hundred metres. 500m seems a bit far away but I could be wrong.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 11:04 PM   #14
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

last week i got pulled over by a cop with a hand held camera doing 123kays...only a $50 fine luckily, anyway he was telling me he got me at 225 metres, nice guy actually

Also there was a camera crew filming and the guy comes over to me and explains hes fimling for that show called the Force, i was told i wont be on it due to the fact i wasn't going fast enough to be interesting (ha!) said if i wanted to come back past doing 160 i'd get on the show, so i said i'll do it if he pays the speeding ticket he said no. BUGGER!

ah well
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 11:06 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
last week i got pulled over by a cop with a hand held camera doing 123kays...only a $50 fine luckily, anyway he was telling me he got me at 225 metres, nice guy actually

Also there was a camera crew filming and the guy comes over to me and explains hes fimling for that show called the Force, i was told i wont be on it due to the fact i wasn't going fast enough to be interesting (ha!) said if i wanted to come back past doing 160 i'd get on the show, so i said i'll do it if he pays the speeding ticket he said no. BUGGER!

ah well
I thought this show was over? At least he had a sense of humour :
Old 09-12-2006, 11:20 PM   #16
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I thought this show was over? At least he had a sense of humour :
yeah, another time i got pulled over the cop walked up to my car slowly with his hand on his holster and was a complete ****er

theres no need for hostilities unless it is some major incident.

also the friendly cop also mentioned that they're starting the xmas road blitz early and hard this year, so watch out WA drivers!
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 03:43 AM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Play it safe. Shadow someone going faster than you. That way they get busted and you don't :P Worked for me ever since I got my licence :
Great in theory....

In the early 80's I was travelling from the Gold Coast to Brisbane on a Sunday morning in my Laser and was late for a function. I was not game to go fast as the GC road was the "killing fields" for the new mobile radars.

Like you I was just waiting for a car to go past so I could follow it and sure enough a yellow XY falcon ute went blasting past. I followd it at about 140km/h when all of a sudden there were police EVERYWHERE. I was pulled over by coppers with guns drawn. It was VERY scary.

The moral of the story:

Make sure the car you shadow isn't the getaway vehicle from an armed robbery............
Old 10-12-2006, 04:14 AM   #18
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

Quote:
The moral of the story:

Make sure the car you shadow isn't the getaway vehicle from an armed robbery............
This user likes this post:
Old 10-12-2006, 04:29 AM   #19
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

IIRC - Redrum said it can get you as far as 1.5km away..
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #20
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Great in theory....

In the early 80's I was travelling from the Gold Coast to Brisbane on a Sunday morning in my Laser and was late for a function. I was not game to go fast as the GC road was the "killing fields" for the new mobile radars.

Like you I was just waiting for a car to go past so I could follow it and sure enough a yellow XY falcon ute went blasting past. I followd it at about 140km/h when all of a sudden there were police EVERYWHERE. I was pulled over by coppers with guns drawn. It was VERY scary.

The moral of the story:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 10:26 AM   #21
HLC
Audi S3

Don't speed and you wont get caught....
Old 10-12-2006, 10:40 AM   #22
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You should be ok Jac. Camera type radars have a fairly limited range because as others have mentioned, the photo has to be a good enough quality to identify the offender. The radar might pick you up from further away but the camera part wouldn't be effective over any more than about 200m.
Vehicle mounted radars, on the other hand, are effective for as far as you can see. They have an easier job because it's up to the the officer operating the radar to catch and identify the offender, not a photo.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 11:14 AM   #23
garth04
Professional *******

In Adelaide they still use the old K band radars for drive by revenue raising around the city and suburbs.
This type of radar has been around since WW2 and has one serious flaw, it will detect larger mass vehicles first. eg: If there is a Truck travelling faster than you in the same direction, the radar will pick up the truck first, even if it is up to 200 metres behind you.
So if you get a camera picture, and there is a larger mass vehicle also visable anywhere behind you in the shot, you have a case to fight it, but only if the speed recorded is under 20Kmh over the posted limit.

P.S. This only applies to K band radar units
garth04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #24
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Great in theory....

The moral of the story:

LMFAO! :
Old 10-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #25
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth04
In Adelaide they still use the old K band radars for drive by revenue raising around the city and suburbs.
This type of radar has been around since WW2 and has one serious flaw, it will detect larger mass vehicles first. eg: If there is a Truck travelling faster than you in the same direction, the radar will pick up the truck first, even if it is up to 200 metres behind you.
So if you get a camera picture, and there is a larger mass vehicle also visable anywhere behind you in the shot, you have a case to fight it, but only if the speed recorded is under 20Kmh over the posted limit.

P.S. This only applies to K band radar units
No it applies to all radar, it is call the "capture effect".

Lidar is more imune to this because it is a small beam and is aimed (sort of).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
Yep there is always one......
Old 10-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #26
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
You want to hope your speedo is accurate.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #27
FalKeen
FTF Car Club NSW

Quote:
Great in theory....

The moral of the story:

hahaha thats a good one
FalKeen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #28
XRchic
Hello

Thanks heaps for the info guys. Appreciate it.

I dont think anyone was going faster than me, that was the problem. I was sorta out in front. There may have been trucks or larger vehicles around though.

For those who know, I was on the downtrack of the freeway heading towards the city. I had just left the tunnels - was about a km out of the tunnels. Was coming down that loooong downhill stretch and halfway along there is a bridge over the freeway, and a big truck bay thing on the right (ie up track). The camera was on the Commodore at 7.50am which was sitting in that bay, facing up towards me.

Hmmm I was doing the good thing, going in to work on the weekend, and now it ma cost me big time! Hahahaha.

Sounds like I may get away with it anyway....

Stupid thing is that I am usually sooooo careful on the freeway, especially that part. That morning I thought, hey, its 8am Sat morning, no one will be around etc... so much for that.

He was still there sitting in the same place hours later when I came home. Didnt get caught twice though...

I really need to be more careful. The fine doesnt really bother me, its the loss of points that stuffs me up...

/me is going to behave now LOL

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #29
FPV329
Workin' for the BOSS

Quote:
Great in theory....

The moral of the story:

Great choice!
Old 23-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #30
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi jac
its kel here
you should be alright if you were heading towards adelaide. I think they would only be catching people on the other side going up. I dont know that they can get you on the side you were on, seeing as there is a big barrier in the middle. I go past heaps of cops and have seen them from like 500m away and slowed right down and have been fine. And also going through stirling to crafers area passing a cop going in the other direction with a camera on the side of his car, doing 120 and havent been caught luckily.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post