Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
Menai Mark

Default Towbar - Mondeo Hatch with Removable Hitch

I'm looking at buying the Mondeo Hatch, Zetec or Titanium. Just doing my research.
Does anybody know of a towbar with a removable hitch that fits these?

Dealer can't supply one and Hayman Reece don't do one either. Rang another towbar place and they said nobody can do a towbar with a removable hitch for Mondeo due to being too low or something - can't see how a Falcon or Commodore is any different, and both of these can have a removable hitch.

Menai Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menai Mark
I'm looking at buying the Mondeo Hatch, Zetec or Titanium. Just doing my research.
Does anybody know of a towbar with a removable hitch that fits these?

Dealer can't supply one and Hayman Reece don't do one either. Rang another towbar place and they said nobody can do a towbar with a removable hitch for Mondeo due to being too low or something - can't see how a Falcon or Commodore is any different, and both of these can have a removable hitch.
If you done a search on this site you would have come up with at least 5 threads like this one:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...hlight=towbars

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Mark

I have a towbar fitted to by XR5. But not Harmen Reece. So it's a permanent feature on my car. I believe to get one you'll need to go after market, but read somewhere that some dealers are fitting HR towbars to Mondeo's. I only went to the dealer because with them doing it I just wanted to make sure that it won't void any part of my warranty. I paid more than others have, but I didn't mind.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
Menai Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
If you done a search on this site you would have come up with at least 5 threads like this one:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...hlight=towbars

apstar
Hi apster, thanks for your reply.

Yes I did a search on the Threads on this site prior to posting and just did another search. Unless I've missed something, None of them answer the question re: Removable Hitch. (ie This is the quick removal type using a square box section and pin, and not the two bolts holding a flat tongue where you need to get under the vehicle to remove type.)
Just want to know if the Removable Hitch towbars are available for the Mondeo and if so who makes them.

If anybody knows if these are available for the mondeo, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Menai Mark

Just rang Frontline who make the 'Genuine Ford Towbars'. They advised me that they do not do the Removable Hitch type towbar for the Mondeo. Only Fords with a towing capacity greater than 1600kg have these type available - this is a Ford decision (Damn). Other makes with lower towing capacities have these available.

So looks like I'll need to get an aftermarket one - if available. Anybody know of one?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just rang Frontline who make the 'Genuine Ford Towbars'. They advised me that they do not do the Removable Hitch type towbar for the Mondeo. Only Fords with a towing capacity greater than 1600kg have these type available - this is a Ford decision (Damn). Other makes with lower towing capacities have these available.

So looks like I'll need to get an aftermarket one - if available. Anybody know of one?
Excuse my ignorance Mark not having a towbar why do you need to remove it and not the tongue?

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
GRT046
Mondeo TDCi

Quote:
Witter Towbars UK make a detachable swanneck bar to suit Euro cars including the Mondeo.

A friend recently imported one for his Audi A6 and is happy with it. ( A lot cheaper than the Factory unit as well)

See: http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/towbars/towbar.php
Attached Images
File Type: jpg witter towbar.jpg (46.5 KB, 406 views)
Sunroof
GRT046 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Hmmm, I've seen this style around before (rarely).
Is it Australian Standard (or equiv ISO) compliant?
If you have an accident with your trailer, will your insurance company still pay up?

(Just posing the question.............)
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
NevC
Red Back Ute

When talking to the Ford mechanic who fitted our tow bar, he said that the car had to have tow bar type and trailer plug type (Ford product with wiring loom) programmed into it or else there could be problems and the car could activate the immobiliser.

I can understand wiring changes, but not actual tow bar.
BF XR6 Ute, July 2006 build, Seduce, Sports Bars, F6 CAI with K&N Filter, Turbo Upper Snorkel and Terri Air Pipe, Custom Cat Back Exhaust, 3.23 LSD, Lower Grille, Auto Glass, Bluetooth, iPod interface, Tie Downs, Analogue Clock, LED Mods

Hers 2011 SV6 Sports wagon, she has crossed to the dark side of the force.
NevC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
Menai Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRT046
Witter Towbars UK make a detachable swanneck bar to suit Euro cars including the Mondeo.

A friend recently imported one for his Audi A6 and is happy with it. ( A lot cheaper than the Factory unit as well)

See: http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/towbars/towbar.php
Awesome GRT046. This is the sort of thing I'm looking at - a hitch that can be quickly removed. Not sure if you've had a look at the youtube link on their site, but the demo car they use is a Mondeo!
On the site go to: 'Which Towbar?' >> 'The Detachable Flange Ball' >> 'View Film' link and hey presto a demonstration on how the detachable hitch works on a Mondeo - noice!

I'll see if they have a distributor in Australia. If not, I'll see how I can get one of these imported.

Still looking into other Removable Hitch / Tongue options if anybody else out there knows of them.
Old 13-08-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
Menai Mark

Quote:
I'll see if they have a distributor in Australia. If not, I'll see how I can get one of these imported.
Response back from Witters:

Hello
Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately we have no distributor in Australia. You can order through one of our stockists, a list of which can be found on our web site but whether or not they are prepared to export you would have to enquire with them. Alternatively they will always despatch to a UK address whereby, you would need to make your own arrangements to export.

Kind Regards

Witter Towbars

I'm still looking.....
Old 13-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #12
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Mark,

Have you considered getting the "approved" Ford bar, but not having it fitted. Then find a metal fabricator who could easily remove the plate that the normal tongue attaches to, then weld on the box tube to receive a standard HR tow hitch? There is a manufacturer who makes a smaller section HR type hitch but I can't recall the name - sorry about that.

You would then need to fit the bar (or have it fitted) but it could be an easier route to take. I suspect that if you try the import process you will get a huge freight cost plus the possibility that UK VAT will get added as well.

That said, I don't know that I would be fiting a tow bar to a FWD vehicle - but then I have the Territory for that kind of work.

Cheers

Alan

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #13
Wazm
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevC
When talking to the Ford mechanic who fitted our tow bar, he said that the car had to have tow bar type and trailer plug type (Ford product with wiring loom) programmed into it or else there could be problems and the car could activate the immobiliser.

I can understand wiring changes, but not actual tow bar.
I was told that the reason is to separate the trailer wiring away from the computer as a spike from a loose connection or something similar could destroy the computer. I had a HR towbar fitted and then spent another $330 on the towing module and twenty something dollars on the wiring loom. Costly exercise but worth it in the end. I had a blown tail lamp on the trailer and the computer notified me with an alert message on the dash. The reverse sensors are also deactivated. Now that I think about it I am fairly sure the side sensors at the back are still active as one of the kids walked pask one day and set them off.

I am presently getting an electric brake controller fitted so I can tow a Jayco Swan camper. Now that is a fun exercise. Make sure you get a quote before proceeding is my advice.
Old 13-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #14
Menai Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD
Have you considered getting the "approved" Ford bar, but not having it fitted. Then find a metal fabricator who could easily remove the plate that the normal tongue attaches to, then weld on the box tube to receive a standard HR tow hitch?
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the great advice. I think you're onto a winner here if I can't get an after market bar in Australia.

Agreed - importing one may be too costly. (Probably cost effective if I owned an Audi - (refer to previous post on this Thread from GRT046))

Mark
Old 13-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #15
GRT046
Mondeo TDCi

The Witter bar I mentioned in an earlier post was supplied by P F Jones (UK) http://www.pfjones.co.uk/.
Towbar, Dedicated Wiring Kit and Frieght (170 GBP) was landed around the price of the Ford 1600kg kit.
Fitting and Dealer Calibration would be extra.

Delivery time was less than a week.
Sunroof
GRT046 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #16
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks GRT046; I'll certainly be looking into this for my wagon. Would be much more user friendly than a standard towbar.
Old 14-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #17
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Mark, NZ XR6

Have you discovered this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-MONDEO-2...rParts_SM#shId

The price seems reasonable given the costs of a Towbar sourced from Oz. There is also a rider in the description that you can discuss VAT with the seller. As the device is being exported outside the EU then I suspect VAT would not be payable. Then the cost would be $AU335 approx plus postage (Quoted at GBP 32 (About $56) but might be higher since they do not list an Oz rate).

Wiring and sockets are included, as is a conversion to a flat tongue if you want to mount a carrier (eg bicycle).

Seems a good deal but, I'd check that it is compatible with the XR5 series. The dual exhaust might be a problem.

BTW "Estate" means wagon

Hope this helps

Alan

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Old 21-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #18
Neil D
Starter Motor

I am presently getting an electric brake controller fitted so I can tow a Jayco Swan camper. Now that is a fun exercise. Make sure you get a quote before proceeding is my advice. [/QUOTE]

Hi Wazm,

How did you go getting the electric brake controller unit fitted? Were you able to get Ford to fit it?

I have exactly the same van (Jayco Swan) and have been advised by my local Ford dealer in Perth that an electric brake control unit can't be fitted to my Mondeo TDCI as it will cause electrical 'issues' with the car.

I have pressed the dealer to find out more as I note these cars are used quite extensively in the UK as a tow car - and am sure they would be using electric brakes - however they apparently contacted Ford Australia who advised it can't be done.

It makes a kind of interesting position when Ford market the car with a 1600kg braked towing capacity. By law you must have brakes fitted to tow anything over 750 kg in WA (not sure what the limit is in the rest of Oz) and any caravan/camper trailer manufactured in say the last 10 years (that i've come across) utilise electric brakes as opposed to the old mechanical braking system. So it kinda makes it hard to achieve 1600kg then when you can't fit an electric brake control unit - don't you think??

Have tried two other Ford dealers in Perth who have advised the same thing.

My only options appears to be via an auto electrician to see if they can fit this, but didn't want to go down this road for fear of voiding warranty and lack of knowledge of the electronic set up in car. However - it appears I have no other choice.

If anyone has any feedback to share on this - I'd certainly appreciate it.

Cheers.

Neil
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 06:54 AM   #19
fordmondeoman

The reason i think they say u cant fit them is because the trailer brake controller will cause the balb warning to go off because of the extra load that it takes off the brake circuit. (these cars check the globes if there blow and bring up a warning on the dash if it see a balb out) There is away around this one live with the car telling u that the balb is out or two u need to fit a diode between the centre brake line to the left and one from the centre to the right and have a wire connecting between the two diodes that the controller picks up this stops the warning coming up, im sure that made no sence so il try and get a diagram up here so it makes sence.
Old 22-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #20
Neil D
Starter Motor

There is away around this one live with the car telling u that the balb is out or two u need to fit a diode between the centre brake line to the left and one from the centre to the right and have a wire connecting between the two diodes that the controller picks up this stops the warning coming up, im sure that made no sence so il try and get a diagram up here so it makes sence.

Awesome - thanks for that.

I'm not much of an auto-sparky - but I'll take the comments along to the auto-electrician I'm seeing today and see how we get on.

Appreciate the help.

Neil
Old 23-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #21
Wazm
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D
There is away around this one live with the car telling u that the balb is out or two u need to fit a diode between the centre brake line to the left and one from the centre to the right and have a wire connecting between the two diodes that the controller picks up this stops the warning coming up, im sure that made no sence so il try and get a diagram up here so it makes sence.

Awesome - thanks for that.

I'm not much of an auto-sparky - but I'll take the comments along to the auto-electrician I'm seeing today and see how we get on.

Appreciate the help.

Neil

Hi, Yes I got it fitted OK. It will work as long as you have the towbar controller fitted. That is the box that sits between the towlights and the computer. $330 from memory when I got the towbar fitted. The trick was that the brake signal to the controller has to go to the brake light at the rear of the car and not to the brake pedal switch. I presume that they ran it to the trailer side of the control box. It was the first they had fitted so it took quite a while. If your local guys say it can't be done then they haven't tried. Tell them to call the guys in Orange NSW cause they did it and did a great job of it too.

Waz
Old 23-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #22
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Neil,

I would be very cautious about any "extra" electrical equipment being fitted to a Mondeo by other than a Ford dealership unless the individual or company fitting the equipment provided me with with a written guarantee that any subsequent damage to the car's electronic systems would covered by them.

Electrical brake controllers have a tendency to produce quite large voltage spikes (I can go into the technical reasons in a PM if you want - but it is probably unwarranted here). If these are not adequately suppressed it can lead to malfunction and/or failure of the car's electronics systems - and the Mondeo has a number of these on board. The problem is that the malfunction or failure may not be immediate, hence my concern.

Electronics module failures can be very expensive to replace. My Father in Law had an electronic instruments failure in a ZL Fairlaine. Quoted cost of the package was $1100 - in 1985!! This was 5% of the new vehicle value and labour was not included. Fortunately Ford picked up the bill as the car was about 500 km outside the 20,000 km warranty and less than 2 years old.

I agree with the idea that there should be some system available that will allow the controller to be fitted, but if Ford are reluctant then I would guess that they have some experience with consequential problems and want to avoid them - or they simply are ignorant of the method that allows the use of a braked trailer.

Since the user manual indicates the vehicle is able to tow loads of up to 1600 kgm (if memory serves) then I would offer that you have a "not fit for purpose" argument.

Hope you are able to get a solution.

Cheers

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Old 23-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #23
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I have to add something here,

My oldest son drives a 2009 Mazda 6 Diesel wagon, he ordered a towbar from the dealer, what he got is one of the best designed towbars I have ever seen. It’s the removable hitch style (Heavy Duty) and when the hitch is not fitted you CAN NOT SEE the towbar at all. The tow bar frame sits neatly up and under the rear bumper bar as usual, but instead of cutting a hole in the rear bar and poking the receiving hitch into the tow bar horizontally it actually fits in vertically from underneath. Hope that makes sense, its one of the best ideas I have seen on a car in a long, long time. It attaches in exactly the same way as a horizontal square hitch but its vertical and the hitch itself is sort of U shaped instead or straight. The bar is made by Hayman Reece was fitted at the Mazda dealer and the car was delivered new with the bar fitted.

If Hayman Reece were able to fit this to the Mazda they may be able to do something similar for the Mondeo.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #24
Neil D
Starter Motor

Thanks to all that have responded - appreciate the feedback.

Current status: Ford Dealer # 4 that I spoke with in WA referred me to the auto electrician they use to perform their work. This guy specialises in european vehicles and was able to install the unit.

However, it's not over yet...

With no trailer connected, there are no issues.

With trailer connected, I get rapid flashing indicators and the following error message on the dash ''Trailer Turnl bulb fault'. The manual suggests this indicates there is a blown indicator bulb on the trailer - which there isn't.

The electric brakes do work however.

My camper trailer has LED lights, so I suspect given the Mondeo tells you when a bulb is blown that perhaps the LED's draw such a low current as to make the car think a bulb is blown. However, I no zero about auto electrics - so could be way off base here.

I have registered a formal complaint with Ford Australia about this - we'll see what they come back with. I'm not sure how Ford can market the car with a 1600kg towing capacity when they say you can't fit an electric brake control unit to it.

At the end of the day - I love the car - I just want this sorted, and an assurance from Ford that this will not affect my warranty. Good luck - I hear you thinking!

Aren't Mondeo's a dime a dozen in the UK - surely they must know how to fit one? Can't Ford Australia just contact Ford UK - am I missing something here?

Talk about a pain in the ar@e!
Old 24-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #25
fordmondeoman

i would say ur correct on the low current draw with the led's im sure the auto elec can fix this easy for you even if he fits a resistor in parallel with the earth circuit to stop the warning coming on, remember this would need to be done on the trailer not the car other wise if u use a trailer without leds ul be in trouble again
Old 24-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #26
fordmondeoman

also you will find uk cars use different moduals for the trailers and and different towbars most of them these days in the uk are electric fold out ones
Old 24-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #27
Wazm
Starter Motor

Quote:
Thanks to all that have responded - appreciate the feedback.

Current status: Ford Dealer # 4 that I spoke with in WA referred me to the auto electrician they use to perform their work. This guy specialises in european vehicles and was able to install the unit.

However, it's not over yet...

With no trailer connected, there are no issues.

With trailer connected, I get rapid flashing indicators and the following error message on the dash ''Trailer Turnl bulb fault'. The manual suggests this indicates there is a blown indicator bulb on the trailer - which there isn't.

The electric brakes do work however.

My camper trailer has LED lights, so I suspect given the Mondeo tells you when a bulb is blown that perhaps the LED's draw such a low current as to make the car think a bulb is blown. However, I no zero about auto electrics - so could be way off base here.

I have registered a formal complaint with Ford Australia about this - we'll see what they come back with. I'm not sure how Ford can market the car with a 1600kg towing capacity when they say you can't fit an electric brake control unit to it.

At the end of the day - I love the car - I just want this sorted, and an assurance from Ford that this will not affect my warranty. Good luck - I hear you thinking!

Aren't Mondeo's a dime a dozen in the UK - surely they must know how to fit one? Can't Ford Australia just contact Ford UK - am I missing something here?

Talk about a pain in the ar@e!

Hi, What model brake controller did you get? I haven't got my camper as yet as it is still being built (so I am told). I expect that you are correct that the lights on the trailer are too low in wattage and are confusing the computer. This would be a big problem for a lot of trailers I would think as a lot of them are now being built with led lights. A small resistor would be the answer I think, however it would probably also mean you would need to check your lights manually from now on.

On the towbar issue, I had a mazda 6 prior to the mondeo. I had a removable towbar from Harmen Reece fitted to that and it was a great unit. When I went looking for a towbar for the mondeo, I went back to the same place I got the mazda one from and Harmen Reece don't make a removable one for the any model of mondeo. They couldn't tell me why and I had to settle for the normal tongue type tow bar. Still works and probably better in an accident anyhow .
Old 24-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #28
Neil D
Starter Motor

Hi, What model brake controller did you get? I haven't got my camper as yet as it is still being built (so I am told). I expect that you are correct that the lights on the trailer are too low in wattage and are confusing the computer

Hi,

A Hayman Reese electronic trailer brake control unit. The manual I got with it doesn't reference any sort of model number - so I've scanned the front of the manual and attached it for reference.

This wasn't a conscious decision - Jayco in Perth recommended the Hayman Reese product - so I simply went with it. The caravan came equipped with AL-KO electric braked axles, and I must say the combination of these two is brilliant. Excellent braking capability and (apart from getting the unit initially installed...) it's really easy to use.

Cheers,

Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hayman Reese.jpg (84.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 24-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #29
Wazm
Starter Motor

Quote:

A Hayman Reese electronic trailer brake control unit. The manual I got with it doesn't reference any sort of model number - so I've scanned the front of the manual and attached it for reference.

I got a Tekonsha P3. Got a good price on ebay and it is supposed to be the best round. Guess I will find out one day when I get my camper. 5 weeks to go.

Warren
Old 24-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #30
Neil D
Starter Motor

Hey Warren,

I didn't realise there was a wait on the Swan's. Perhaps we just jagged the timing for ours - there was one in stock on the lot when we went to buy (Jan 2010).

I have only towed the van very briefly with the Mondeo, however initial reports are really good. I must say that I'm impressed with the little 2.0 turbo diesel engine in the Mondeo - amazing torque which equates to good pulling power for the van.

The Mondeo in my opinion is a better tow car than the Holden Captiva (petrol) we were using previously. The Captiva was OK (i guess) but felt really sluggish when towing - and it's fuel consumption was abismal. Combine crap fuel consumption with a 65 ltr fuel tank - leads to one unhappy camper!

Not sure if you've had a Jayco before - we've found it to be really good. Only comment on the down-side, check the build quality when you get it. If my experience is anything to go by, that old saying - 'they're built to a price' rings pretty true to me.

Cheers,

Neil