Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 25-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
whitetdci

Default TDCI oil filter location

Hi all. Just bought a bargain 2009 TDCI and am on a steep learning curve. Another car, another forum . It is my first diesel as well so will be more fun learning about the oilers. From my search so far it seems that the oil filter is accessed from the top side and not underneath. Is this so? It looks like a cartridge setup from the replacements. The undertray is a real PITA and am considering leaving it off (can you do that?) has anyone else left theirs off for expediency sake?
Will be posting a few threads soon I expect unless I can search out the answers. Cheers

whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
whitetdci

Default Re: TDCI oil filter location

surely someone knows about changing oil on one of these and where to filter is located
Old 28-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
fonfe
RS shop's technician

if its a brand new tdci engine, (cant remember if 2009 model is the brand new engine....pop a pic up and ill confirm for you)
the oil filter is down the very front of the engine and you can get to it from the top or the bottom but it is a tight squeeze..... 10 times easier if done on a hoist. you can leave your undertray off but they are rather simple to remove and refit so i would always put it back on as this stops stones flicking up from the road.
Old 28-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
fonfe
RS shop's technician

OR failing that if you are in the albury/wodonga region we can service the car for you as per ford original spec for $150 using genuine parts, including the ford health check system
Old 28-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
whitetdci

Thanks heaps for that. I figured that was the filter with around a 27mm hex on the top. We are just a bit far away from Albury but thanks for the offer. I do like to do my own work and get my hands dirty (however not black lol) so I will be changing the oil very soon as it has around 12 k on it already. Just picked the car up the other day. 170k on the clock in 3 years! must be country travel so shouldn't be too bad. Loving the drop in fuel usage!! Is there much of a noticeable drop in fuel economy if you leave the tray off?
Old 29-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
fonfe
RS shop's technician

Use a really shallow socket on a 3/8th drive or a cut down ratchet spanner ;)
Make sure you lube and change the O ring as they can snag and tear quite easily.
Never looked into the economy differences between tray on and tray off but would be pretty shocked if you could see a difference.....tyre pressures would make more of a impact.
Btw change the fuel filter when you do the oil as its often skimped by people when they do servicing. You will need a hand pump to bleed it though as the system is vacuume fed up to the injection pump.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
whitetdci

I always lube the rubber ring on any oil filter. I pumped the tyres up from 32psi to 38 psi as soon as I found a service station. I will be putting them up to 40 psi soon if the wear appears even still. I don't know why they fuss about the under tray if it doesn't make that much difference.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
whitetdci

Couldn't get the mongrel oil filter holder undone and appear to have rounded the edges a bit. Tried everything. wound up putting new oil in and running the old filter (hated doing it) until I can get a result.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
whitetdci

BUGGER! It looks like it should have been a 26mm!! Felt tight when I put the 27 mm on. Just bought a hex low profile 26mm off fleabay. Will let you know how it goes. It will take a week or so to get here from the UK.