Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Ashwin
FordTarius

Default Changing Power Steering Hose

Hi all,

Two questions folks - all related to leaking power steering racks and hose on AU3.

a)
Whats the trick to getting the HP hose out from the bottom (rack-end side). I am not getting enough swing for the spanner to loosen the nut. The hose right next to it doesn't help things either !

2) Pedders wan't ~ $750 (incl w/alignment) to replace the PS rack. It sounds high but I wanted to know your opinions on the going rate for this sorta work. Any (cheaper) alternatives for Brissie would also be appreciated.

thks !!!!

Ash

Ashwin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: Changing Power Steering Hose

Hi Ash

What rough location of brissie are you at?

A. I can't remember. Just get an enzed dude out and he'll do a replacement hose fitted for about $100, if it makes your car undriveable

2. LOL 750 for a rack
Any servo mechanic will be able to replace your rack with a reco swapover one for about the $350 mark, then just pop down to your local indepenant tyre shop for a $39 wheel alignment.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Ashwin
FordTarius

Western surburbs - Indro

a) I thought Enzed didn't do hoses attached to cars . I have the replacement hose anyway - (repco aftermarket). Can probably get them to fix up the original hose once I find a way to get it off :-(

b) Yeah - I knew that $750 couldn't be 'right'

thanks

-ash
Old 01-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Crowsfoot flare wrench or sensor socket like this helps.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
TUF-640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin
b) Yeah - I knew that $750 couldn't be 'right'

-ash
that sounds like a typical pedders quote....they wanted 550 to lower the front of my car supplying and fitting springs, no shocks nothing else just the springs...oh but that included a wheel alignment, gee thanks mate you were giving me such a bargain lucky you threw in the alignment....*note the sarcasm*
ive been quoted something like 520 for a reco and wheel alignment at an independent shop in my area and even that sounds like a rip off....still getting around to finding the cheapest place as ive read everywhere that recos are 350 on average

Project: 2001 AU II Fairmont Silhouette | Optioned 17" Tickford wheels + Sports suspension | Tint

Weekender: 1989 NA II Fairlane - Rosewood | Standard (with functioning SLS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware

Just remember gents, anyone can follow fashion, but it takes someone with real class and finesse to have Style.
TUF-640 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I'm pretty sure it was enzed that my brother got out one boxing day to replace the HP PS hose on his old VL
Old 04-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Ashwin
FordTarius

thanks - had to SOS a mechanic mate who had the tools that `aussieblue` mentioned.

Job done - leak monitoring now on...
Old 05-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin
thanks - had to SOS a mechanic mate who had the tools that `aussieblue` mentioned.

Job done - leak monitoring now on...
Any where any time mate. I just made mounts so i can put both my tool boxes in my 4x4 so i can do a lot more mobile jobs for people.

Enzed will do most hoses on cars but no braided brake lines as they are not ADR approved and they can get in deep **** for doing them.

Most AU's have a rack weep or very minor leak. Not worth fixing till it starts dripping on your driveway or your having other issues too.