Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-10-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
EFFANATIC
Banned

Default Handbrake

Hey everyone just wondering on how to adjust the hand brake on a au2
1 tonner.
Cheers Craig

EFFANATIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFANATIC
Hey everyone just wondering on how to adjust the hand brake on a au2
1 tonner.
Cheers Craig
This could be another great how to...

hint hint GK
Old 06-10-2006, 11:39 PM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

on the inside of the rear discs, ie where the axle surround i guess joins the diff, on the back ie towards the centre of the car at the top i think, will be a little hole shaped for a flat head screwdriver, apparently its a pain to adjust, im not sure as i've never done it, but you twist a cog type thing in there to tension it, just make sure the park brake is off when you do it
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
marianeeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
on the inside of the rear discs, ie where the axle surround i guess joins the diff, on the back ie towards the centre of the car at the top i think, will be a little hole shaped for a flat head screwdriver, apparently its a pain to adjust, im not sure as i've never done it, but you twist a cog type thing in there to tension it, just make sure the park brake is off when you do it
Hi bodes-sh]on,
I tried for that.It is well.
I can do that. T han k you very much.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

OR

You could see how much adjustment is left in the 10mm nut at the handbrake lever.

Just remove the boot, push the seat all the way back, take the handbrake off, and use a 10mm spanner or thin tube socket to adjust away.

I would do that first, then if it's no improvement, adjust the rears.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 12:11 AM   #6
EFFANATIC
Banned

Thanx guys ill give it a go in the morning as im not to keen on the resting pressure on the parking pin at all aspecially having the trailer with lots of weight in it Thanks heaps.
EFFANATIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
janek
Ripping it up

My handbrake is, and has been for 2 years, soft... repalced everything but the cable itself (and the lever that goes to the drums). Done discs, pads and rotors, and only a marginal improvement... (it actually engages now)
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
vish
buckled rim finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek
My handbrake is, and has been for 2 years, soft... repalced everything but the cable itself (and the lever that goes to the drums). Done discs, pads and rotors, and only a marginal improvement... (it actually engages now)
mine wouldnt work at all a couple of years back, took it to my mechanic who rebuilt it and it worked fine. the mechanic said its due to the design of it. now its soft again and nearly back at that point again.
vish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 10:01 AM   #9
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

They are a pretty average design and parking brake is about all they are up to.

You can adjust the cable to take up the cable stretch at the handbrake end but this does little for effectiveness of the handbrake.

You can adjust the handbrake shoe to drum clearance with an adjuster wheel through an inspection port and this does work. But. . .. go too far and you get annoying noise from it dragging at low parking speeds as the shoes don't centralise well when released.

By the way discs pads rotors have nothing to do with the handbrake. Its a drum brake inside the rear rotor.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 10:42 AM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
You can adjust the handbrake shoe to drum clearance with an adjuster wheel through an inspection port and this does work. But. . .. go too far and you get annoying noise from it dragging at low parking speeds as the shoes don't centralise well when released.
Indeed.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 09-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #11
janek
Ripping it up

I know the pads have nothing to do with it, but still... the drums sit inside the discs... Theyre floating discs.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #12
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek
I know the pads have nothing to do with it, but still... the drums sit inside the discs... Theyre floating discs.
Yes floating discs thats it.

Exactly why if you adjust them up nicely they squeak at low speeds in car parks etc. Annoying but you may prefer to have a handbrake that works.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 08:03 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Yes floating discs thats it.

Exactly why if you adjust them up nicely they squeak at low speeds in car parks etc. Annoying but you may prefer to have a handbrake that works.
The wagon squeaks, the sedan doesn't, but both handbrakes work very well. In fact the wagon's is excellent!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 09-10-2006, 09:57 PM   #14
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Just my 2 cents , when adjusting the handbrake on any car really / there all pretty much the same setup ....
I just apply the handbrake 3/4 way inside the car, then adjust the handbrake via the hole in the hub of the disc (behind the screw in the hub) using a flathead screwdriver to wind/adjust the wormgear until its just firm ( until the pads of the handbrake are just touching/applyed ) . Using this method , and i did this on my auii aswell , the handbrake work fine , without any /rubbing/dragging/squeeling while driving. cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #15
peterban
AULTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Just my 2 cents , when adjusting the handbrake on any car really / there all pretty much the same setup ....
I just apply the handbrake 3/4 way inside the car, then adjust the handbrake via the hole in the hub of the disc (behind the screw in the hub) using a flathead screwdriver to wind/adjust the wormgear until its just firm ( until the pads of the handbrake are just touching/applyed ) . Using this method , and i did this on my auii aswell , the handbrake work fine , without any /rubbing/dragging/squeeling while driving. cheers.
Sounds like a great way to adjust them, will have to try it as mine is starting not to hold.

I remember when I bought my Ford the handbrake wasn't holding so I complained about it to the car yard ( non Ford ) as it had just been roadworthied and supposedly passed. The salesman told me the handbrakes don't work too well because the V8 is so powerful its hard to hold!!!!
My reply was even with the motor not running the handbrake won't hold the car. Needless to say they paid to have it adjusted.

It just goes to show salesman will say anything and if you don't know about these things you get taken for a sucker.
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post