Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Default Unichip Or Chiptorque

Time to get a chip, lot of hype around unichip but is the Chiptorque chip as good or better? I can get either for quite a good price used. Any help would be great, thanks. My ute is a au xr6

Done mods:
Zorst.
Intake.

Planned Mods:
Cam.
Whatever mods G&D come out with :sm_headba

poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Edit, the unichip and chiptorque J3 chips are so out of date on AU's its irrelevant. Just get the edit and it will do it all.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
XRCIST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

None. Go for a Capa flash tuner, you wont be disappointed. The amount of parameters that can be changed and what it can do is mind boggling compared to the chiptorque or unichip.
XRCIST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #4
XRCIST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Dammit shane you beat me to it :
XRCIST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 12:18 AM   #5
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Even with a second hand purchase, by the time you factor tuning in, you're pretty close to the price of an edit.

I'd do your cam next, then focus on the edit or chip (whichever you go with).

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 12:34 AM   #6
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i got told that with a flash tuner if your car's not a turbo you wont notice that much power increase?
BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 09:13 AM   #7
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I have had the unichip and currently have the edit. I am kicking myself for simply not getting a full ecu like autronic. You can tune your own car while you drive ,have full data logging ,speed achieved ,times to 100 kmph ,to 60,air fuel ratios via a wideband sensor.If you have aptitude for cars do it yourself. While I am very happy with my tuner..they are top people it would have been much easier and cheaper to do it myself.

The edit is terrific.However they originally advertised easy tune software in the beginning and then pulled it off the market from us.We can now buy the shop software for 2500 dollars and still not have the capabilities of the stand alone ecu.

The problem is that you think your car is ready for a tune then the results arent reaaly as good so you mod more then pay another 550 dollars for a retune.Why?

The other side of the coin is that these tuners generally have enough knowledge to make it run well without damaging the car.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent83
i got told that with a flash tuner if your car's not a turbo you wont notice that much power increase?
Not true. I went from a Chiptorque that was tuned for my car to an edit and the difference was remarkable. The fact that a number of AU's with stock heads/cams are now outrunning cammed I6's at the drags can be certainly patially attributed to the edit. If the car is an auto the difference is even more pronounced too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
I have had the unichip and currently have the edit. I am kicking myself for simply not getting a full ecu like autronic. You can tune your own car while you drive ,have full data logging ,speed achieved ,times to 100 kmph ,to 60,air fuel ratios via a wideband sensor.If you have aptitude for cars do it yourself. While I am very happy with my tuner..they are top people it would have been much easier and cheaper to do it myself.

The edit is terrific.However they originally advertised easy tune software in the beginning and then pulled it off the market from us.We can now buy the shop software for 2500 dollars and still not have the capabilities of the stand alone ecu.

The problem is that you think your car is ready for a tune then the results arent reaaly as good so you mod more then pay another 550 dollars for a retune.Why?

The other side of the coin is that these tuners generally have enough knowledge to make it run well without damaging the car.
Sorry Useless but I disagree. The LAST thing I wanted was a stand alone unit. Attempting to tune my own car with minimal knowledge, no dyno, no idea what is going to work and all at the risk of munching an engine does not appeal to me. Neither does having to sweat bullets if the EPA ever come knocking. At least I know that, for EPA, all I need to do is add an extra muffler and I will pass with flying colours at the moment. Ripping out an entire computer would not be fun, nor would paying $3000 pass or fail for the EPA test.
Overall the edit is by far the least invasive, most effective method out there for the majority who choose not to tune themselves.

Old 27-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

What is the cost of an edit?
Old 27-09-2006, 11:06 AM   #10
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
I'm fairly keen on getting the Stinger in my car (finances not there) but I'll be getting a pro to do it. Like Shane says, if you don't have the know how, you're likely to cause more harm than good. From all reports tho, the standalone ecu's do wonders.

Has Fez and XB.

Old 27-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #11
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1XR2C
Time to get a chip, lot of hype around unichip but is the Chiptorque chip as good or better? I can get either for quite a good price used. Any help would be great, thanks. My ute is a au xr6

Done mods:
Zorst.
Intake.

Planned Mods:
Cam.
Whatever mods G&D come out with :sm_headba
A Unichip would do and secondhand easily available. fit it yourself and get it tuned for $200 a time. Chiptorque is OK but expensive for a custom tune. Edit is the best before you go for a full repalcement ECU like Motec etc

If you are doing the cam do that first though or lots of money wasted in tunes.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 12:58 PM   #12
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a Unichip in my AU VCT and was nothing but extreemly happy with it. Purchasing the unit (second hand) , installing and tuning cost me $800 for a 13rwkw peak increase and even more down the rev range. It made the car feel alive.

I cant comment on the others performance wise however i doubt you can get the others anywhere as cheap as the Unichip.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 10:39 PM   #13
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Chiptorque

I am going to change the diff & with the added benefit of adjustment for auto shift changes, I bought a chiptorque chip. I live close to their outlet so I will get it tuned by Lachan.

I bought it secondhand, $117. I believe from what has been discussed an edit is the way to go, I sold my unichip & was going to buy an edit but couldn't resist the chiptorque at that price. It depends on how much you want to spend. It is going to cost $400 to get it tuned via dyno & shift points adjusted. It comes down to to how long you are going to keep the vehicle & your budget.
Old 28-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #14
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperau
I am going to change the diff & with the added benefit of adjustment for auto shift changes, I bought a chiptorque chip. I live close to their outlet so I will get it tuned by Lachan.

I bought it secondhand, $117. I believe from what has been discussed an edit is the way to go, I sold my unichip & was going to buy an edit but couldn't resist the chiptorque at that price. It depends on how much you want to spend. It is going to cost $400 to get it tuned via dyno & shift points adjusted. It comes down to to how long you are going to keep the vehicle & your budget.
About 2.5k, for cam and tune.
Im going to keep it forever

So best thing is flash tuner?
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #15
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Casper ..the edit is awesome for sure.I have had 3 tunes from 3 tuners and they all felt different. However I don't think all tunable variables are tuned when it is done.It is these items I would like to play with.Also whatever most say..an optimal tune done in summer is not optimal in winter.Achieving similar consistent power requires adjustments.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #16
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Casper ..the edit is awesome for sure.I have had 3 tunes from 3 tuners and they all felt different. However I don't think all tunable variables are tuned when it is done.It is these items I would like to play with.Also whatever most say..an optimal tune done in summer is not optimal in winter.Achieving similar consistent power requires adjustments.
I gues it comes down to how much you want to do yourself. I agree that, as far as DIY, the edit isnt going to offer as muchas say a Wolf setup. If you are keen on tuning it yourself (and the gains and risks involved) then a standalone is certainly the better buy. Personally I'm not comfortable with learning how to tune and the risks involved so to me the edit it the best solution.. but yes, you are right, its not for everyone.

Old 29-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #17
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Does the edit work well on a stock VCT engine and driveline or do you need an exhaust to best results?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 04:04 PM   #18
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Does the edit work well on a stock VCT engine and driveline or do you need an exhaust to best results?
You'll see gains but I reckon you're best to save edits/chips for once you've gotten a few more mods done (then get a custom tune).

Has Fez and XB.

Old 29-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #19
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
You'll see gains but I reckon you're best to save edits/chips for once you've gotten a few more mods done (then get a custom tune).
Ok fair enough. Just thought I'd ask out of curiosity. Cheers for that

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 08:19 PM   #20
rob82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Edit, the unichip and chiptorque J3 chips are so out of date on AU's its irrelevant. Just get the edit and it will do it all.

Both the edit and the chiptorque chip edit the factory managment so essentially they will deliver the same tune if tuned correctly however at chiptorque we can real time tune unlike the edit which generally makes the tune twice as good in half the time - hence the cost. This is very important when tuning volumetric efficiency tables in the 6 cylinders or TPS based MAFLESS tunes on the V8

We have also just released the MAFLESS tunes on all EA-AU v8. To our surprise there are no negative tradeoffs associated with this type of tuning which is testimate to the power of the ECC managment. Good gains in fuel consuption, throttle response and all out power when the AFM becomes a restriction.

Last edited by rob82; 07-10-2006 at 08:44 PM.
rob82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #21
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob82
Both the edit and the chiptorque chip edit the factory managment so essentially they will deliver the same tune if tuned correctly however at chiptorque we can real time tune unlike the edit which generally makes the tune twice as good in half the time - hence the cost. This is very important when tuning volumetric efficiency tables in the 6 cylinders or TPS based MAFLESS tunes on the V8

We have also just relesed the MAFLESS tunes on all EA-AU v8. To our surprise there are no negative tradeoffs associated with this type of tuning which is testimate to the power of the ECC managment. Good gains in fuel consuption, throttle response and all out power when the AFM becomes a restriction.
The chiptorque is an excellent product and was my personal choice over the unichip until the edit came along.
The main.. and it is a big one... problem with the chiptorque is that Lachlan is the only person in Aust who can effectively live tune the chiptorque and he is in Qld.
I personally tried for over a year to organise a retune in Vic but never managed to get my schedule and his together.
The edit has tuners in most if not all states and the list is growing.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:34 PM   #22
the black pig

Quote:
The chiptorque is an excellent product and was my personal choice over the unichip until the edit came along.
The main.. and it is a big one... problem with the chiptorque is that Lachlan is the only person in Aust who can effectively live tune the chiptorque and he is in Qld.
I personally tried for over a year to organise a retune in Vic but never managed to get my schedule and his together.
The edit has tuners in most if not all states and the list is growing.
Hi Casper. Just a update on the Chiptorque tuning situation. In Sydney, Silverwater Automotive Services (www.dynotuning.com.au) has been doing awesome real time tunes on AUs with the Chiptorque chip for a couple of years now.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:39 PM   #23
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the black pig
Hi Casper. Just a update on the Chiptorque tuning situation. In Sydney, Silverwater Automotive Services (www.dynotuning.com.au) has been doing awesome real time tunes on AUs with the Chiptorque chip for a couple of years now.
Its still a pretty big limitation to only have 2 tuners.. and none in Vic. Was my only problem with the chip. If it were not for the edit I would have stuck with it.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:50 PM   #24
the black pig

Quote:
Its still a pretty big limitation to only have 2 tuners.. and none in Vic. Was my only problem with the chip. If it were not for the edit I would have stuck with it.
yeah. they have a great product, but were never able to get the critical mass of a national network. I see on their website they're about to launch an 'edit' type product. Maybe this time. Shouldn't you be watching the football?
Old 07-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #25
xr8ute
Back on the road

rob82, do you guys do the MAFless tune using a MAP sensor or Alpha N?

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 10:55 PM   #26
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the black pig
yeah. they have a great product, but were never able to get the critical mass of a national network. I see on their website they're about to launch an 'edit' type product. Maybe this time. Shouldn't you be watching the football?
Football? Last time I wastch a game of football was about 20 years ago!

Old 08-10-2006, 12:40 AM   #27
rob82

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
rob82, do you guys do the MAFless tune using a MAP sensor or Alpha N?

Its actually TPS based.
rob82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post