Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-07-2006, 11:06 PM   #1
Jase_Boss
Casual surfer

Unhappy Some people just dont care

At a mates place today, some builders working on the house, i was parked out the front and we were stading in the drive way talking, and this stupid builder (just this one not all) walks past my brand new ute BF XR8 many many extras and more to come (go fast stuff)(5 weeks old) and drags his claw hammer in his tool belt (he's a tool also) along the rear quarter and scatched it down to the under coat, we saw and heard him do it, so i fronted him and he said "idont think i did that ,we both said we watched you do it and explained that the ute was brand new and didnt have a mark on it, he said it will polish out and i told him it wont and i want it repainted, a which he admitted his guilt, i was very s%1ty and we went inside, i cooled down a bit and came back out and there he was trying to polish it with gumpsion (shower screen polish) i went off and it was all i could do to stop myself killing this guy ing_sm .

now he said he will pay for the repairs if they arnt to costly if not he wants me to put it through insurance, what i want to know is what is this best way to fix: 1. full quarter respray (how much would this cost) 2. touch up and blend in (how much would this cost) 3. put through insurance (him paying excess)

Jase_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
Kryton

it will need a full quarter respray most likely.
however, being BRAND NEW with no paint fade, a very skilled sprayer may be able to just respray that part and make it match.
with the insurance, if you claim are you going to have higher premiums next year or are you going to lose a rating because of a claim. if so, make him pay for it all out of his pocket.
if you do go the insurance way, make him pay whatever the excess is as well.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2006, 12:11 AM   #3
AMT
Come fly with P.S.I...

What a tossa...make him pay so your insurance doesn't go up... :
Old 30-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
MIKEVYII

Mate. He sounds like a total toss. Just put it through your insurance As they will pay for the repairs & then chase Him for for the total repair costs .

Your excess & rating should not be affected. As it was damaged whilst parked & You have the offenders details. So dont bother dealing with Him.
MIKEVYII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Although i dont like his avatar (it is an oval buddy, there is a circle around the holden lion so that phrase better suits Holden!! lol) MIKEVYII is right, let the insurance company squeeze the money out of him, they employ full time lawyers and debt collectors, you dont need to waste any more energy on him, i doubt he would be easy to get money out of if he was trying to fix it up with gumption! I know our insurance premiums/ratings etc wouldnt be affected in this situation, i doubt yours would. What is more irritating is the fact that you wont get compensated for him buggering up your spanking new ute and the trouble caused by having to get it fixed. If you are on the Gold Coast the guys who fixed our last car were great i would highly recommend them if you dont have someone in mind already.

Grr i hate inconsiderate people....

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Tell me about it, my Territory is getting some paint repairs done this week, its only 6 weeks old with 2,000 kays :(
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #7
wingTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEVYII
Mate. He sounds like a total toss. Just put it through your insurance As they will pay for the repairs & then chase Him for for the total repair costs .

Your excess & rating should not be affected. As it was damaged whilst parked & You have the offenders details. So dont bother dealing with Him.

I would also report the matter to Police.
wingTS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 12:08 AM   #8
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Hi there,

all I can say is that when another guy drove into the side of my EF years ago in a shopping centre car park, my insurance covered it 100%, and it did not effect my premiums etc, because I had all his details. Get you friend to make a statement that he witnessed it, and get it signed by a JP. Give that statement, as well as yours, to your insurance and let them handle it.

That is some really crappy luck, caused by a thoughtless idiot. I hope you have no troubles getting it all fixed.

Best of luck.
Envi
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 12:17 AM   #9
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Hopefully you got all his details - even a look at his driver's licence to confirm his details, Name, Address, Licence Number ......

Too many times I have heard of claims where its clearly the other persons's fault but at the time of the incident they say they are sorry but when it comes to paying up they deny it was them - this denial usually comes when you give them a quote of how much its going to cost to get fixed.

At least you have a witness............

Maybe get him to write it down on a bit of paper, date and sign it that it was his fault so he cant do a runner

ANYWAY if you have the other party's Name and Address then you shouldnt have to pay your excess and you wont loose your rating or no claim bonus

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 12:47 AM   #10
rodderz

Photo's do a world of good too, and even more conveniant now with most phone having them now. A pic showing the damage, and possibly him and his car should be enough evidence just in case he decides to forget it once he goes home
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 09:02 AM   #11
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas573
i cooled down a bit and came back out and there he was trying to polish it with gumpsion (shower screen polish) i went off and it was all i could do to stop myself killing this guy ing_sm .

I have a builder mate, sounds so much like something he would do lol - he once had a big 4*4 plank in the tray of his ute overhanging and backed it into the side of my wifes car putting a big dent in the door. I came out and he was trying to fill it with wall plaster, then wanted to spray it with a $2 can of spray paint from GoLo! : have to laugh sometimes...hope it comes good in the the end.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 10:04 AM   #12
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Get a quote from a place one of the members here can recommend, and tell him what the price for fixing it is. Add 200 dollars to it and tell him that's what it cost (thats for you to spend on ways to minimise your distress).

Whatever the total is you should tell him your excess is $400 higher so that he has to pay and do it privately. Tell him that you have a low premium but a high excess.
You don't want to claim insurance as your premium will go up.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #13
MIKEVYII

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
Although i dont like his avatar (it is an oval buddy, there is a circle around the holden lion so that phrase better suits Holden!! lol) .
HaHa it's all in Fun. :
MIKEVYII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #14
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its best to spray the whole panel, you can blend it but in years to come you'll be able to spot where it was blended. Tough luck mate, there are truly some *tools* out there
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #15
LTDHO
The one and only

1st - Get his details of his licence.
2nd - lodge insurence claim
3rd - get car fixed.
4th - happy to have repaired car at minimal effort.
(Insurance get money off him)
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 12:14 PM   #16
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jeez some people p*** me off.

It was a new ute too. (Although if it happened to a old car, that would still p*** me off)
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 04:33 PM   #17
plext
Forum Director

In a case like this, always get the admission of guilt in writing.

After this, you can simply put the claim in through your insurance, you have an at fault party and will lose none of your no claims discount.

The insurance company will then hound them to the ends of the earth for the money, you need not be further concerned. This is why you have insurance.
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 04:44 PM   #18
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Photo's do a world of good too, and even more conveniant now with most phone having them now. A pic showing the damage, and possibly him and his car should be enough evidence just in case he decides to forget it once he goes home
Definatly have to agree...get some pics as evidence just in case he does the old runner!! By the sounds of him with all the lying he did trying to deny it, he would be the type of low life to try and get away with it

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 06:30 PM   #19
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingTS
I would also report the matter to Police.
Why? Its a civil matter, not criminal.

The builder should have his own workers insurance, its there if he damages anything on the property, get him to fix the car through that.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #20
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Unfortunatley, new or old car it happens as I have done some silly things with planks of wood near a car. He said he would pay....Its a pee off but it does happen. Through insurance and he pays shouldn't cost anything, just the pain the bum time factor. I would be absolutely annoyed but it happens. Call the police????? yep they will have a chuckle over it. It was an accident.....not on purpose.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 09:48 PM   #21
Jase_Boss
Casual surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Unfortunatley, new or old car it happens as I have done some silly things with planks of wood near a car. He said he would pay....Its a pee off but it does happen. Through insurance and he pays shouldn't cost anything, just the pain the bum time factor. I would be absolutely annoyed but it happens. Call the police????? yep they will have a chuckle over it. It was an accident.....not on purpose.

Yes the hammer bit may have been an accident, but why the hell would he try and polish it out with gumption after i had told him to just leave it.

i've contacted my insurance company and they said they will chase him, but will only approve the repairs when and if he admits liablity and pays the excess, until then the repairs wont be done, or if i pay the excess and cop the loss in no claim, anywaay guess will just have to play the weighting game and put up with damage thats just s%$ts me every time i look a the car.

Thanks for your advise people
Jase_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 11:32 PM   #22
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas573
i've contacted my insurance company and they said they will chase him, but will only approve the repairs when and if he admits liablity and pays the excess, until then the repairs wont be done, or if i pay the excess and cop the loss in no claim, anywaay guess will just have to play the weighting game and put up with damage thats just s%$ts me every time i look a the car.Thanks for your advise people
As I said you have to get him to admit fault.

BUT what sort of dodgy insurance company are you insured with - if you have a witness and his name & address then as its 100% his fault there should be no excess to be paid and no effect to Rating or NCB.

AND whats the rubbish if he admits fault he has to pay the excess, thats a load of bull.

ALTHOUGH yes you may have to pay the excess if he does not admit fault - again this is where i said get him to write it down on a bit of paper that it was his fault.

NOW if he admits fault there is none of this he has to pay your excess - he has to pay the total cost of repairs.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 11:51 PM   #23
rushing on acid

mate thats going to need a full bare metal respray. a quick blow over will get the scratches coming up in no time at all ( i learnt my lesson 2 weeks after getting my xy painted and some knob jockey keyed it front to back on the left hand side)
rushing on acid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 01:58 AM   #24
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can always take him to civil court, it only costs $50-$100 to do.
Since you have a witness and what happened was quite believable, it makes it a pretty clean cut case.
Civil courts work on the Balance of Probability, so you are more than likely get a favourable result. Just get some quotes for repairs, and get him served to appear if he doesnt play ball.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 04:10 AM   #25
SLYXT
FG xr6 Ute.

Speaking of builders lol..... i had just left school went out to my first job with the old man come 9am we sit down to have something to eat and the (owner builder) pulls up in his HQ holden station wagon the house was on a big *** hill and this tool gets out and didnt put his handbrake on and i could see it creeping backwards as manuals do on hills lol....... i said mate your car is rolling, his like nah it does that all the time!! we sitting there a bit longer and next minute we look and his took off running. his car was rolling down the hill approaching a newly built house at the T intersection, lucky the house had a flower box built onto there mail box because the old HQ hit that at full pace, knocked the *** end out of his wagon and that was that lol me and my old man ****ed ourselves laughing at the time and ended up we got the job to repair the mail box at the builders expense lol..

Mate i feel sorry for you and your Ute :( but i had to share that little experience we had as it came back to me when i read your post.
SLYXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 09:41 PM   #26
Funtime25

If he is a licensed builder and doing work, he has to have insurance to cover damage and injury etc at building site.

Contact the builders union in your state, they can verify that and then he HAS TO CLAIM on his insurance.
Funtime25 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 09:46 PM   #27
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

welcome to the 'club', good to know i'm not the only one who has had paint damage by someone else. ;)
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post