Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 13-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default MD transmission

Wondering what sort of transmission MD petrol has. Clicking on 'technology' in the Ford website I see only satnav, bluetooth and phone stuff.

I see an option for powershift with the diesel, but nothing about the petrol transmission except 'Selectshift'?

Be interesting to know.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #2
R12RT

Default Re: MD transmission

Petrol MD Mondeos have conventional auto. Diesel has dual clutch.

I have the diesel and it has the best auto transmission I have driven.
R12RT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

the ecoboost slush box is also equally impressive, sport mode on the paddles is sharp and quick, I'd like to drive a diesel though that'd be something else.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2016, 11:49 PM   #4
5_speed

Can anyone explain why the wet dual clutch transmission in the diesel wagon is not having problems?

I'm considering a wagon and would love to get a diesel mondo, but all the troubles with the dry dual clutch in the focus and fiesta are scaring me off.

People are saying it's not a good transmission for city driving, and this is what our driving would be most of the time.

If the wagon came with a torque converter transmission, the mondo would be at the top of my list.
5_speed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw reports that some dry clutch units were subject to a leaky oil seal which resulted in oil on the clutches. Apart from that I don't know.
The reliability of wet clutch units overall is unknown, unless Ford knows.

There have been at least three on this forum with big repair bills, but that tells us nothing about overall reliability, just that they are expensive to fix.

Maybe the best way to see if OK for city driving is to test drive, particularly on roundabouts. Some adaptation required on the driver's part perhaps.
Old 16-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #6
bungfritz
Starter Motor

I've read one of the other reasons to why the wet clutch design is more reliable as the oil helps cooling of the transmission in comparison to a dry clutch.

For a more aggressive driving style, I do find a dual clutch transmission a more enjoyable drive. Driving in a proactive manner, I find a dual clutch transmission is quick to downshift and provide you with the drive straight away when required. I've borrowed my brother's focus with (the supposed problematic transmission) and the transmission's programming is good in my opinion. I think having an erratic throttle behaviour would confuse the transmission, and would make it less smooth compared to a regular slush box, which is more forgiving. Otherwise my experience with it even in city traffic is quite good without many of the problems people have reported under the lawsuit. Guess everyone's mileage may vary.

My personal experience with my MD Mondeo with a traditional slush box is that it's fairly unspectacular, nothing wrong but nothing to write home about. Under normal D mode, I've been caught out a few times where I've slowed down to turn a corner and then required snappy acceleration to get the car through and I'd literally be able to count 1,2,3 before the transmission kicks down. It's probably adapted to my lazy driving behaviour, but would still like it to kick down when required without actually having to chuck it into sport mode, when the pedal is pretty much mashed to the floor
bungfritz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #7
cyclone1410

We have an MC dual clutch in the EcoBoost and it does almost entirely stop start city driving. Other than the hesitation that comes from deliberately confusing it (couple of short presses on the accelerator) it is absolutely brilliant. It always kicks down when I want and responds to my sudden desire to exploit the EcoBoost's power. I really love it and hopefully it will last a few more years until when we plan to upgrade, maybe to a new Monty.
Old 18-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #8
Mondaveo

Powershift, wet or dry, should handle city stop-start just fine. If it has a problem with anything it'll be city crawl.

Because the gearbox is essentially a manual that's shifted automatically, it can only creep along at walking pace by riding the clutch, which will overheat and wear it out just like a manual. Whereas a conventional auto, which drives an impeller in fluid, can do that all day. The DCT is really more suited to deliberate, positive inputs that let it engage gears with purpose, than slurring along and crawling in traffic.

My reading is that the majority issue affecting the dry-clutch Powershifts is clutch contamination, coming either from clutch dust or foreign fluids through leaky seals, contributed by overheating. (YouTube 'clutch scrub' procedure.) I infer that some proportion instead encounter problems from the electronics developing a fault, which by all reports is also exacerbated by overheating (TCM fixed right to transmission housing).

The wet clutch Powershift seems to be more protected from contaminants and overheating, and the only failures we've really seen are from electronic faults that have little to do with wear.

For what it's worth, I really like the Powershift box, and that's even having a dodgy one in my car - I love smart technology, and when it's working right it really is so seamless and enjoyable to drive. I just hope Ford will do the right thing and fix all the bad ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-07-2016, 01:12 AM   #9
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try parallel parking with any dual clutch on a hill. :(

I've had a couple of VW's with the DSG box as rental cars, both for a week or longer. I am really not a fan of the technology and would prefer a manual - I just never feel in control of what the box is doing.

The Ford DCT is better, but I just don't like putting my foot down and not knowing which gear it will shift down to.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
Old 19-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #10
Binny

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
Try parallel parking with any dual clutch on a hill. :(

I have heard about the early VWs doing this. I hired a renault van recently that did this and I get where you are coming from.
This isn't an issue on the Mondeo powershift though. The hill holder works perfectly and its as easy to reverse park on a hill than any car I have ever owned, manual or auto.
I assume that the later VWs do the same.
Old 19-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #11
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for your comments. I have driven a MC diesel briefly and it seemed to shift very well.

Old 19-07-2016, 09:03 PM   #12
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the Mondy TDCI with powershift, best car I've driven (lost count). Up to 1200km a tank, great handling, nice quiet whirring gears shifting seamlessly. In a 100kk I remember only two hiccups, once on a steep driveway and once crawling in a hot day in Melbourne. I've made more miss changes myself in a month driving a manual.

Last edited by rondeo; 19-07-2016 at 09:04 PM. Reason: addition