Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
joshau
Starter Motor

Default '97 Courier 5sp manual - Cant engage reverse, gears 1-5 working but not fully engaging after "bump"

Hi all.
I have a 1997 Ford courier PD Ute 2wd, with a mazda g6 2.6lt petrol engine.

The gearbox is playing up after hitting a large rock/s trying to get up a very steep and rocky road.

After I made it to the top (in relief, as I was miles from anywhere), I found that while I could engage and use all 5 forward gears, there wasn't as much movement in the gearstick to get it into gear. It now also slips out of gear, not all the time, and primarily in forth gear, when I back off the accelerator.
I later discovered that I cannot get it into reverse at all, the gear stick refuses to move into reverse.

I suspect I've damaged or bent the selector arms, or something similar.
I've only worked on an old column shift Torana in the past, which had one of the gear linkages detach when I hit a cardboard box years ago. That was an easy fix - a new split pin. Replacing the gearbox a few years later was more of an effort, but fairly straight forward.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated... I just spent over $2K getting a new head and other work done on it... which was more that the utes worth, so I'm hoping its nothing too major.

Thanks again.

joshau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
joshau
Starter Motor

Default Re: '97 Courier 5sp manual - Cant engage reverse, gears 1-5 working but not fully engaging after "bump"

OK. Issue resolved.
Mechanic had a look at it - stuffed engine mounts, engine sitting at an angle, pressing the gearstick against the RH side - hence no reverse and limited movement in gears 1-5.
Interesting drive train - way out of alignment... I'm glad it made it back over 200km to home.
2 new engine mounts on the way should resolve it, fingers crossed.
joshau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: