Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2010, 01:07 AM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Would you buy this car?

I’ve been toying with the idea of bringing in a Lincoln Continental Mk V (or possibly IV) to use as a Sunday Cruiser. A reasonable one can be had for around $2k, and about the same again to import it. It’s very much an issue of personal taste, but I quite like these huge luxobarges.
So I came across this one: http://www.carsales.com.au/Tig/UI/Pa...src=allcarhome
Even if this was just a bog standard RHD car, this would be a good price, but the guy has clearly put some coin into it. I quite like the fatties at the back, they make an aggressive statement.
But I’m just not sold on the wannabe Cobra striping…
No offence to the owner, who has clearly put a lot of effort into his ride.

Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
kinksta
Luxojet

Love it, but the colour kills it. It needs to be toned down....
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #3
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the first thing you'd want to do is remove those stripes, they do absolutely nothing for it. After that you should paint it black, tint it as dark as possible and chrome the front and rear bumpers.

I'd say that would make for one classy Sunday cruiser.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:57 AM   #4
nfury8

sure, but if you get get one for $4000 imported, youll have 8k to play
nfury8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 02:05 AM   #5
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I like the Mark IV's myself. My mother inlaw had one when I was dating my wife. It was black and cool/mean looking. It also had a 460 in it, I believe. They are nice riding cars, a little bit floaty. If you want any performance handling you will have to do a LOT to it. Mostly, it is a spory looking, classy luxury car.

The one you linked to really needs to lose the stripes, and I cannot say I have ever seen one in white. My own personal taste for these cars requires a darker color that adds class.

Interesting that you are interested in these cars. You are the first Aussie I've seen so.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 02:33 AM   #6
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
I like the Mark IV's myself. My mother inlaw had one when I was dating my wife. It was black and cool/mean looking. It also had a 460 in it, I believe. They are nice riding cars, a little bit floaty. If you want any performance handling you will have to do a LOT to it. Mostly, it is a spory looking, classy luxury car.

The one you linked to really needs to lose the stripes, and I cannot say I have ever seen one in white. My own personal taste for these cars requires a darker color that adds class.

Interesting that you are interested in these cars. You are the first Aussie I've seen so.

Steve
Yeah, Mark IVs are cool, although personally I have a slight preference for the more angular lines of the Mark Vs.
Wouldn’t expect any sort of “performance” but I imagine the 460 would lope along quite nicely.
I LOVE big Americana, and there are some nice examples of these at very reasonable prices. I might even have seen one or two in OHIO.
have never driven a LHD car before, so it could take some getting used to.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even left in it's white state (with stripes removed) I think all it would need is those front and rear bumpers chrome plated again. With some fluffy dice hanging from the rear view mirror, it would make one fully sick cruiser!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
3vXT

I'd like it better without the stripes and not quiet as bright. Still, I love the shape, it would look pretty sweet cruising around between all the commodores and falcons.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To answer your question , NO I would'nt as I have never bought my cars by the cubic yard . If I want an aircraft carrier I'll go buy one . That thing must have it's own postcode .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Love em...!
I'd say go for it!!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never realized hey were so cheap might grab one to keep the xb company in the shed, love it.

Not sure about the painted bumpers, love the wheels and stance, black with chrome bumpers would be awesome, as a matter of fact I would be talking to my bank manager right now.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a big fan of the MarkIII which doesn't have the stupid opera windows in the C-pillar. But MarkIV could be made to look nice. As mentioned by others above, a paintjob on that one would do wonders for it (no offence to the seller; it's all a matter of personal taste)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
slickpencil
BlueEyed Terri

Once you got it.. you mite want to check out this club.
lincolnmercury.com.au

I've been in afew of their gatherings, and there's a lot of nice good looking cars

this paintjob is awesome..

slickpencil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

I like the Lincoln Mark coupes too. I was ready to buy a MkIV when the Galaxie popped up. But in the end my wife convinced me that the Galaxie would be a better buy, and looks much nicer. Plus it'll fit in the garage (unlike the Lincoln!). She was right, as usual. No regrets about my choice, although I still want a MkIV!

Some advice I can give you, for what it's worth:

- Do not buy a car sight unseen. You know the risks, you might get lucky, but it's a big gamble.
- Go and see one in the flesh before you make up your mind to buy one. Sit in it, poke around in it, get to know the shape. They're an acquired taste and you might find the novelty wears off quickly.
- MkIVs are more desirable than MkVs, and worth more. Especially if it's the early MkIV with the different bumper treatment.
- Most MkVs from California will have a 400C engine due to pollution regs. You don't want that - make sure it's the 460. California got the 460 as an option only.
- Special editions (Cartier, Givenchy, etc) command higher prices to those that care for originality. I'd steer clear of them personally, as they're over-priced IMHO.
- Don't worry about LHD. All of them are over 30 now, so can be registered LHD in any state. And driving a left-hooker is more fun - doesn't take long to get used to it. Insurance won't be any different either.
- Make sure everything works. There are LOADS of electric toys in these things and when they go wrong you won't be able to buy a replacement form the local Ford wrecker.
- Check out Lincoln-specific parts prices from the US. Yes they're quite cheap, but freight is the killer. Budget for ongoing repairs.

That's about all I can think of. There are at least half a dozen for sale at any one time around the country, so even if it's out of budget, go and see one first. Check them out thoroughly. All the usual rules about buying old cars apply, but most importantly BUY THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD. Nothing worse than blowing the budget only to not be able to afford to keep it going, leaving you with a 2-ton paperweight.

Oh, to hell with it - just bloody do it. I love people's necks snapping 'round when I'm out in my piece of Americana.

PS - factor in the cost of LO2 compliance as well. That'll lighten your wallet to the tune of about AU$1,300...

Last edited by Neeek; 03-11-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Added PS
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #15
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
PS - factor in the cost of LO2 compliance as well. That'll lighten your wallet to the tune of about AU$1,300...
It seems to be much easier in WA…
• Headlights need to be realigned.
• Rear Indicators changed to Amber.
• Must have seatbelts, head-restraints, and child anchorage points.

Fortunately my garage is almost long enough for two small cars, so I should be able to squeeze the Lincoln in their.
I’ve put up a thread regarding the choice of engine : http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11313182
Unfortunately If I buy a car from states, it will be sight unseen. I may be able to get an inspection done.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #16
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wannabee mustang?
fiestaz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #17
WMD351
Size it up

Oh yeah, in a nice prestige colour.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #18
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
It seems to be much easier in WA…
• Headlights need to be realigned.
• Rear Indicators changed to Amber.
• Must have seatbelts, head-restraints, and child anchorage points.

Fortunately my garage is almost long enough for two small cars, so I should be able to squeeze the Lincoln in their.
I’ve put up a thread regarding the choice of engine : http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11313182
Unfortunately If I buy a car from states, it will be sight unseen. I may be able to get an inspection done.
The list you quote above is about the same as in QLD... that's what mine had done to it. And $1,300 is what it costs here, drive-in drive-out.

Just thinking more, you reckon $2k to get it back here? Unlikely... going rate seems to be $3,500 at the moment ex LA to east coast. Add more freight to WA on top of that, then the import duties, GST, customs fees... the car might have been bought for $2,000, but getting it into your driveway will cost a shedload more.

No saying don't do it - far from it. Just do a lot of research.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #19
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Looks like Huggy bears car from Starsky and Hutch lol! , and yes i would buy that car, its tough!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #20
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

This ones been for sale for some time. No one must like the paint. And im one of them. Also if you get one that has a 72 460 engine in it, be mindful of its Open Chamber heads. They really, really suck. Badly.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #21
LincolnMkIV
Starter Motor

It's actually a 73 model (probably built in late 72 as the yanks do).

This site has a lot of good info about the Marks -

http://automotivemileposts.com/contentsmark4.html

The issues for this car would be what else has been bastardised. He doesn't have a lot of photos of the interior and dash.

It all depends whether you want something close to original. There are alot of Mark Vs for sale on Carpoint at the moment but as someone else said they are considered less by the collectors.

Also I believe that a 2K one from the sates would have alot of issues.

I have a 72 and they are quite a barge to drive (especially if the conversion is sloppy) and as mentioned everything is electric. So unless you are pretty handy make sure everything works.

Have a look at a few if you can.

Cheers
LincolnMkIV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #22
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
The list you quote above is about the same as in QLD... that's what mine had done to it. And $1,300 is what it costs here, drive-in drive-out.

Just thinking more, you reckon $2k to get it back here? Unlikely... going rate seems to be $3,500 at the moment ex LA to east coast. Add more freight to WA on top of that, then the import duties, GST, customs fees... the car might have been bought for $2,000, but getting it into your driveway will cost a shedload more.

No saying don't do it - far from it. Just do a lot of research.
Not sure about QLD, but it is much easier in WA than most other states.
• Headlights on one of these cars, should just be an alignment issue, and I can get that done for free.
• Already has head restraints.
• Child anchorage points (if not already in the parcel shelf) are about $20.
• USA seatbelts are deemed adequate in WA.
• Amber flashers will be the most difficult as I want to do properly, rather than just screw on trailer lights as is common, but I could simply do that initially.
There’s no requirement for an Engineer’s certificate in WA, so it’s DIY.

But yeah, I’ll be doing some more research and asking those who have actually done.

I’ve had a couple of quotes for just under $2k from CA to Fremantle, and a quote for just other $2.5k to bring one all the way from Nebraska.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:13 AM   #23
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you sure 2 grand LA-WA is including insurance, customs, cleaning etc? I got quoted around 5 grand to bring a LWB Silverado ex LA to NZ a few months back, 2k sounds too good to be true lol. But it still works out cheaper than buying over here.
Just be weary because the cars may look good on ebay etc but I've heard and read some horror stories of hidden rust, not as described etc, might pay to get independent inspections done for piece of mind. A couple of companies that import over here have guys which will go and take a look and report but they charge an arm and a leg.
I nearly bought the Silverado I got quoted on sight unseen but we will hold off for now and make a holiday of it in 2012, go over there, buy a car, fill it with parts and drive it to LA. Couldn't think of a better holiday tbh.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 02:24 AM   #24
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Nice....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1977-Lincoln-...o%3D%26ps%3D63

....and it's already in Aus....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 03:00 AM   #25
fmc351
let it burn

Why? I though you wanted it. Yes, I think ivory white with lots of chrome would look horn. Would make an awesome cruiser. It will literally crush any opposition, like a speedbump, theyll just need to be parked at the time.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 04:24 AM   #26
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Are you sure 2 grand LA-WA is including insurance, customs, cleaning etc?
$2k is just the freight. Insurance is another $100, I don’t how much NZ import duty is, but in AUS its nil from the USA.
There’s an AQIS inspection fee, but the major cost is the 10% GST.
And yes, I have to figure out how to get the car cleaned before it gets here. Hopefully the freight company can arrange that also…
Old 04-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #27
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

A good site to use as a guide would be this one: www.usatoaus.com.au, who ship out of Seattle WA (OK, it's not CA, but makes little difference). They have an FAQ lising all the of the stuff you'll be up for. Assuming it's a $2,000 car that you buy...

DOTARS import approval: $50
Transport to shipping terminal in USA : $100 - $2,500 depending on location
Preparation for shipping and quarantine : $250- $400
Packing, shipping, AUS Customs, initial AQIS entry/inspection, Brokers : $1,800 - $3,100
Unpacking container : $500
Customs Broker : $500
Dock Fees : $500 - $1,000
Duties and GST : 10% of purchase and shipping (say $2,000 plus $3,000 shipping = $500)
Pickup/Transport from the depot to your location : $250 - $2,000

So based on that, your $2,000 car will work out to be $5,650 all up in your driveway, provided it's basically at the departure port already, and you pick it up from the arrival port yourself - transport to and from ports will ramp that up a bit. Assumes $3,000 for shipping; two grand seems awfully cheap, and I'll bet they cram 4 or 5 cars into the container for that... being a Lincoln, it wants all the space it can get in there!

Spend $4,000 on the car, and you're only looking at an extra $200 in GST making it $7,650 all up. $6,000 car = $9,850, and so on. And for six or seven grand, you'll get a good one.

Good news on the compliance for WA, that'll save you a bit. Even so, if you can find a bloke who doesn't literally ram 4 cars into the container for two grand ex east coast US to Fremantle, tell everyone because I've never heard of a quote so cheap!

Old 04-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #28
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
black with chrome bumpers would be awesome
Yes i agree. better get in quick, tho, that's a good price,

Would you say the stripes devalue it?

Last edited by aussie muscle; 04-11-2010 at 09:57 AM.
aussie muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #29
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cars I’m looking at are drivable, so transport is RORO which is significantly cheaper than container. (NB they don’t promise WHEN the car will get here.)
I have a quote to ship all the way from Nebraska for $2.6k so I’m not sure how they figure on that much just to get it to the port???
I’m not going to use a Customs broker for a single transaction that doesn’t even require customs duty.
Then I can drive the vehicle home with a $40 permit from Transport WA.

Yes, there are a few “we do everything for you” mobs out there, and they all charge like wounded bulls Everyone has to make a living.

Obviously I don’t expect to get away with paying only the $2k shipping, but if it costs me more than $3~4k I’d be very surprised.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #30
BFZF8

The answer is a resounding "YES!". I've been lusting after one of these land yachts for about 10 years now. As soon as I'm able to take on a project it will be one of these for sure.
BFZF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post