Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-01-2021, 11:48 AM   #1
pv5150
Starter Motor

Default AU3 weird instrument cluster behaviour

Hello brains trust

Long time lurker, first time poster ��

Recently had my coil pack turn up its toes and die. My dash cluster had weird characters showing up on the digital display. Have replaced with brand new coil pack and digital display works properly again. However, my temperature gauge and RPM display are now exhibiting weird behaviour. The temperature gauge needle starts as normal and then very quickly goes all the way around beyond hot (it's not overheating), and the RPM needle heads all the way around beyond the readout and touches the raised part of the cluster.

I have tried a known good dash with significantly higher km's and both the temperature, and RPM's work as normal (RPM's are probably a tad low at idle but that may just be the older dash cluster). Penny for your thoughts...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnbm31p7ry...94843.mp4?dl=0

Can I reset the dash? Or can I send it away to get fixed?

TIA

Matthew
pv5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2021, 08:42 PM   #2
FGX008

Default Re: AU3 weird instrument cluster behaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv5150 View Post
Hello brains trust

Long time lurker, first time poster ��

Recently had my coil pack turn up its toes and die. My dash cluster had weird characters showing up on the digital display. Have replaced with brand new coil pack and digital display works properly again. However, my temperature gauge and RPM display are now exhibiting weird behaviour. The temperature gauge needle starts as normal and then very quickly goes all the way around beyond hot (it's not overheating), and the RPM needle heads all the way around beyond the readout and touches the raised part of the cluster.

I have tried a known good dash with significantly higher km's and both the temperature, and RPM's work as normal (RPM's are probably a tad low at idle but that may just be the older dash cluster). Penny for your thoughts...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnbm31p7ry...94843.mp4?dl=0

Can I reset the dash? Or can I send it away to get fixed?

TIA

Matthew
Hi Matthew

Did you get this issue resolved?

Cheers, Brent
Old 25-01-2021, 09:33 PM   #3
pv5150
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX008 View Post
Hi Matthew

Did you get this issue resolved?

Cheers, Brent
Hi Brent. Thank you for taking the time to reply. No, the issue still exists and I'm wondering if it may be the result of electrical noise/ interference. Unsure where to go from here
Old 25-01-2021, 10:43 PM   #4
FGX008

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv5150 View Post
Hi Brent. Thank you for taking the time to reply. No, the issue still exists and I'm wondering if it may be the result of electrical noise/ interference. Unsure where to go from here

Hi Matthew

Have you thought about getting your car battery load tested or if that is okay getting the regulator in the alternator tested. I cant think of anything else other than to suggest you probably will need to see an auto electrician. Lets us know how you go.

Cheers, Brent
Old 25-01-2021, 10:49 PM   #5
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Did you reconnect the thingy (I can't for the life of me think of the name of it as I type this) back on the side of the coil when you put the new coil back on?

From memory, it should connect up under the rear bolt that holds the coil on.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2021, 11:37 PM   #6
pv5150
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX008 View Post
Hi Matthew

Have you thought about getting your car battery load tested or if that is okay getting the regulator in the alternator tested. I cant think of anything else other than to suggest you probably will need to see an auto electrician. Lets us know how you go.

Cheers, Brent
Hi again Brent. I've booked the car into the auto electricians on Wednesday to see what they can come up with. Hadn't thought about load testing the battery as it's only 3 months old, but it may have an issue. The regulator on the back of the alternator had slipped my mind. I'll get the auto electrician to check that on Wednesday.. Thanks for the input, I'll keep you posted 🙂
Old 25-01-2021, 11:42 PM   #7
pv5150
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Did you reconnect the thingy (I can't for the life of me think of the name of it as I type this) back on the side of the coil when you put the new coil back on?

From memory, it should connect up under the rear bolt that holds the coil on.
Hi PG2. Yes I did reconnect the thingy (is it the noise suppressor) back when installing the coil pack. Just saying.... Whoever decided that it was a good place to stick a coil pack, is a moron. You need to be half contortionist to install it.
This user likes this post: