Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Rantings and Questions of an ol' fool

Greetings to all. My vehicle is a AU S3 XR6 M Sedan (Hp). I bought the vehicle Boxing day 2010 in Ipswitch (142 XXX) and drove 8000k back to Darwin. I was absolutely impressed by it's handling, comfort and economy. The only fault I could find with the car was the clunky diff exactly like my 1994 EF XR6 M Sedan in Darwin. Vehicle has now just clocked up 160 XXX k. I had been told this was the usual but more on this later.

Since ownership I have had the following parts fixed ;

4 x powersteering switches, 1 x battery, 1 x fuel pump relay, 2 x clutch cables, 1 x set of sway bar links, 6 x welch plugs, 1 x radiator and 1 x clutch. Cost for radiator / clutch was $1250 (again, more on this later)

i have upgraded these parts as well

287mm grooved and slotted rotors with EBC red stuff pads - took about 1500k to bed them in properly and stop squeaking but well worth it.

Covering these are a set of 235 / 40 / 17 Yoko V550 db's - great wet or dry

Pacemaker 4480's - beautiful gains in mid range power but no noticeable increase in fuel economy

Ballistic 100 cpl cat with Redback / lukey 2.5" system to the rear

The only other mods I may do are neo bushes and gas shocks.

When some of the repairs have been done I felt as though I was being gouged but there was no way to prove it, or so I thought. I sometimes felt work was done that was not essential. In talking with one owner one day I mentioned I don't work any more (disability pension) so can easily fit in to any vacancy for the work to be done. Suddenly, some work became non essential and some work the price dropped.

So, Question 1 - do you think some businesses charge what they think you can pay not necessarily what it should cost?

Now, the second question relates to my current repairer. Over the last two days I had a new radiator fitted and a new clutch which included a fly wheel shave, new thrust bearing, Spigot and cable. Whilst driving the car today something wasn't right but I wasn't sure what. It then hit me - there was no more clunky diff in reverse or first - smooth as a baby's bottom.

This leads me to think of two possibilities - one being that while they had the gearbox / tailshaft out they tightened up something on the diff or - two the clunking was from a misaligned gearbox / clutch which was fixed when it was put back together.

So, Question 2 - can replacing a clutch make a clunky diff disappear. Could the clunk have been coming from the clutch all the time.

As a parting thought - for any one either in Darwin or travelling through and needing repairs I whole heartedly endorse Phil Kerr Service centre, Harriot Pl Darwin

Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Rantings and Questions of an ol' fool

Q1 some work shops may try to help you out ware they can, depending on what your after. Most have set rates and charge accordingly, although I am sure it cost the same to change a tyre on a AMG as it does a Falcon but the price may vary a bit from place to place
Q2 as for the clunking it may just be the new clutch is making it a bit smoother on the change. normally diff chatter on AUs (irs) can be quieten down with the correct oil and additive

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".

Last edited by Whoosha; 22-04-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Q1 some work shops may try to help you out ware they can, depending on what your after. Most have set rates and charge accordingly, although I am sure it cost the same to change a tyre on a AMG as it does a Falcon but the price may vary a bit from place to place
Q2 as for the clunking it may just be the new clutch is making it a bit smother on the change. normally diff chatter on AUs (irs) can be quieten down with the correct oil and additive
Thanks Whoosha for taking the time to read and answer.

My observations for Q1 were based on whether I presented with trousers / open neck shirt clean shoes etc or grubby boots shorts t shirt and my young grand daughters looking like my a*se end was hanging out

As for Q2 when reversing at idle or moving off at idle there was a clunk. Give the engine about 1000 rpm and it was quiet. There was no clunk (noticeable) on the gear change. Now it just backs out quietly and moves off. The clutch itself has gone from extremely heavy to a beautiful light smooth operation with as I said no clunking.
Old 22-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Cúl-Báire

Q1 - I find the price comes down once they cotten on to the fact that you know what you are talking about...

e.g. Midas wanted to charge me 230 to flush the radiator in the missus XR6, as soon as I said I wouldn't pay them for something you can do with a bottle of coolant and a garden hose; the other 5 things that were on the list as "urgently need doing" suddenly didnt need doing any more

Q2 the clunk may have been related to the rear gearbox mount, to change the clutch you drop (move) the box so they would have had to of done it up to correct spec, possibly eliminating the "clunk".
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
blumx

Hi Vincenzo,

regarding Q1 - I don't think that overcharging certain types of customers is rampant in the industy but I am certain of different types of servicing levels that occur.

If a money scrapped student presents his 20yo Corolla with a leaking welsch plug then he will get basic service to keep the car going. If a 60yo retiree with a $1,000,000 super payout comes in with his pride and joy his car will get a higher level of servicing. The poor student will get one welsch plug fixed while you got all six done.

You and I might call it over servicing but most mechanics think of it as looking after the customer.

Glad to hear that you diff is fixed
blumx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

blumx is right.
Old 23-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thankyou to Cul Baire, Blumx and Mr Hardware for your responses.

I was saving my money (not easy) for a new diff but as it is now quiet thanks to the clutch I won't need it. As for Cul's comment re extra servicing, I am happy to pay for quality work if it needs to be done and is actually done. I always shop quality before price!

Thankyou all and cheers

Vincenzo
Old 23-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Some places offer discounts for pensioners and/or RACQ or alikes members. Some just adjust price according to the way you present yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cúl-Báire
Q1 - I find the price comes down once they cotten on to the fact that you know what you are talking about...

e.g. Midas wanted to charge me 230 to flush the radiator in the missus XR6, as soon as I said I wouldn't pay them for something you can do with a bottle of coolant and a garden hose; the other 5 things that were on the list as "urgently need doing" suddenly didnt need doing any more

This statement says to me, the staff thought you know how to do repairs, so why should they take your money to do something you obviously know how to do anyways. Or the otherwording was, A smart alex so he can go elsewhere. ie home and do it himself.

Not nice wording, but being in sales this is how I would react too.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
This statement says to me, the staff thought you know how to do repairs, so why should they take your money to do something you obviously know how to do anyways. Or the otherwording was, A smart alex so he can go elsewhere. ie home and do it himself.

Not nice wording, but being in sales this is how I would react too.
Easy to be taken out of context when there is no tone I guess (i.e. an internet forum). I was a bit taken aback by the kid's initial brashness, making out that not flushing the coolant would be catastrophic.
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I think the crux of the matter is a difference between the owner and the mechanic's interpretation of what 'needs doing'. Especially when it comes to things that have varying degrees of 'worn', like swaybar bushes, engine mounts etc etc etc.
Old 24-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I think the crux of the matter is a difference between the owner and the mechanic's interpretation of what 'needs doing'. Especially when it comes to things that have varying degrees of 'worn', like swaybar bushes, engine mounts etc etc etc.
this is true. also a mechanic has a legal obligation to inform you of such wearing. im sure if something failed causing an accident and the mechanic failed to mention it to the customer all hell would break loose

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #12
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On a post repair note

I went and saw the repairer today to give him the rest of the money owed. He did not want the last $150 in $1 and $2 coins so gave him notes today.

I asked whether they did any work on the diff and he said no.

When I described to him the clunking under idle in reverse and first he suggested it may have been something to do with the clutch pressure plate being ripped out of the middle. He stated it is probably quiet as everything has now been tightened / returned to its rightful place.

So to all - thankyou and cheers

Vincenzo