Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 07-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
jakhazell
Starter Motor

Default 1996 EF Futura

Hi, I might be getting my hands on a silver Falcon futura off my uncle as a project car. It used to belong to my Mum before being sold to my uncle so I know most of its history. It has 270000 km on the clock and is very rough around the edges but the engine is still running smoothly. The only mechanical problem that I know of is the brakes make a constant hissing noise and arent very effective though they still work. It's been looked at by a mechanic and my uncle says it's a valve in either the master or booster cylinders. The cars a total mess inside the centre console is ripped, the left hand door trim is cracked near the speaker, the car just all up stinks (from smoking and water getting in from somewhere) and various bits and pieces are missing or broken. The only part that is still acceptable is the paint though there are a few scratches and dents it should come up great with a buff and polish. He is asking $800 for it and was wondering what any of you would pay for it? (obviously just a rough estimate as I have no pics of it) Now My plan is to gut out the interior, take out the carpet and seats and give them a good clean. Remove the dash and fix up any wiring, the odometer and clock are on the fritz and only light up when they want to, I'm not sure what I would have to do to fix it, any ideas? I would like to not have to replace too much at this point as I just want to get it roadworthy and presentable on the inside so all the money spent will be going on tires and whatever needs doing to fix the brakes.

jakhazell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 
Default Re: 1996 EF Futura

Seems like a bit of work - the $800 is going to blow out to about $2,000+ when your done getting it rwc

I would send it to a Roadworthy Place - get them to inspect it and write up what needs to be done to it to get roadworthy - prob cost $100+ for a rwc inspection

If it's been getting water inside it you may have rust to deal with as well

What about reg? how much reg has it got left as thats around an extra $641.00 in Victoria

You may find its better to spend $2,000 plus on say a EF Fairmont and have one that needs little work for rwc rather than $800 and get one that needs $2,000 work for rwc

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it was me, the cigarette smell alone would be enough to make me look elsewhere. More than happy to be proven wrong on this, but isn't it near on impossible to completely get rid of it (since it'll be embedded in roof and interior plastics)?

For all your broken & missing pieces there's lots of spare parts and knowledge floating around to help you out.

I reckon there's plenty of these cars out there going for a bargain requiring less work, and potentially saving you more money in the end. You could pick up a Fairmont or Ghia with a few more goodies for not much more money. But I understand that the attraction here may be that it's got sentimental value, it's been in the family for ages and would be nice to keep it.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
au adam

id look else where,i payed $650 for an EL Fairmont with full service history,great body and perfect interior.With 225,000 on the clock.
On the road it owed me 2,000 and that was including the purchase price.
au adam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
au adam

Also payed $450 for an Ef Futura with reco head,16 in tickfords with near new tyres and only 183,000.Swapped the wheels with my Fairmont and sold it for $600
au adam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post