Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Cluster question High series

Looking at getting a high series cluster. Now I have an auto. Is there any difference if the cluster comes from an auto or manual?
I know that my sons Fairmont has a panel that shows what gear you are in.
Oh and how much? Whats a 'usual' price?

UK

How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

iv got a AU2 Fairmont Cluster in my Manual AU3, the gear selector screen is just blank, but also not that AU1 have the auto display in a separate screen, but AU2 and3 just have it in the same screen as the odo.

im not sure if XR clusters are the same... i know they dont show which individual doors open, but iv never heard of auto or manual clusters being a problem, id say there all the same

Just remember not to get a S1 cluster (assuming its for your S2)

i got my cluster for $31 on ebay, but i did buy a new clear plastic thing as the original one was all scratched, so around $50 all up, obviously XR and T series cluster go up from there...

Cheers Cam

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Thanks. I have a Series II (otherwise I would have pinched my sons LOL).
I tried his but the speedo goes nuts for one.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 16-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Thought this might help
AU 2-3 High Series Cluster Upgrade

Was

Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 21-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Question Update :)

Will I now have a High series cluster out if a AU Series II. To my surprise everything seems OK except for one thing, I'm not getting any dash light when I turn on the parkers/driving lights.
Can any one help ??
UK
Old 21-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Will I now have a High series cluster out if a AU Series II. To my surprise everything seems OK except for one thing, I'm not getting any dash light when I turn on the parkers/driving lights.
Can any one help ??
UK
My memory may be way off but is there not a fuse on the panel inside the car that protects the cluster? Maybe a simple fix.
Old 21-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

None at all? Not just stuffed globes?
Old 21-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Well the standard cluster lights work but not the high series
I'm waiting till dark to see if I get anything
Uk
Old 21-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

OK So I have swapped globes around and no dash lights come on. Also the left blinker works (noise and light) but the right doesn't (no light but I get the noise).

Any ideas?
Old 21-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
FYRE_81_AUI_00
woop woop woop woop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourl6
Thought this might help
AU 2-3 High Series Cluster Upgrade
hey mate,

did you move the 4 pins over as demonstrated in the link that fourl6 posted?
if you dont do this you wont get illumination or abs warning or right hand blinker

cheers
FYRE_81_AUI_00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYRE_81_AUI_00
hey mate,

did you move the 4 pins over as demonstrated in the link that fourl6 posted?
if you dont do this you wont get illumination or abs warning or right hand blinker

cheers
Oppps not yet. I don't have ABS but I do turn to the right every now and then
Will do this Saterday

UK
Old 21-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #12
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

if the speedo, tacho, fuel, temp, oil and batt work, then just move those wires and it should work
Old 22-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #13
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

OK so you can tell I'm not an auto electrican buy trade.
I have looked at this:

Quote:
the instructions for series 1 are pretty much the same for 2/3 with one of the wires changing colour but all pin locations staying the same

The following wires need to be moved around, in order for the Mid/High Cluster to function correctly,
1. The Park Lamp Dial (+ Positive) Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 13 to Pin 2. - Brown
2. The Dial Negative Dimmer Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 21 to Pin 3. - Light Blue / Red
3. The ABS Warning Lamp Wire needs to be moved from Pin 8 to Pin 23 - Orange/Black
4. The R.H. Side Indicator wire needs to be moved from Pin 19 to Pin 26 - Green / Light Blue (Series 1 is White / Light Blue)

(Using the Photo Below) The Pin numbers start from bottom right and go in a U shape to the top right spread over the 2 connections, so a total of 28 pins one connection has 8 pins (that does not exist on base model wiring) and the other has 20 pins

this photos is of the back of a AU3 Fairmont Ghia Cluster with a AU3 Forte Wiring loom, with the pins removed from the connection

and

This is the high cluster

and this is the low

One loom has 20 spots the other has 18. I don't have a 26 pin link. What is going on?

UK
Old 22-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #14
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
(Using the Photo Below) The Pin numbers start from bottom right and go in a U shape to the top right spread over the 2 connections, so a total of 28 pins one connection has 8 pins (that does not exist on base model wiring) and the other has 20 pins
this is talking about the connection in the cluster, not the actual wiring loom

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 22-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #15
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
this is talking about the connection in the cluster, not the actual wiring loom
Thanks for this. So i place the wires direct into the cluster (where the looms don't go?

UK
Old 22-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #16
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Thanks for this. So i place the wires direct into the cluster (where the looms don't go?

UK
yeah thats it.
i just made the ends of the loom a little tighter by squeezing them a little with some pliers, then covered the ends with heat shrink and pushed them onto the cluster pins.

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 22-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #17
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
yeah thats it.
i just made the ends of the loom a little tighter by squeezing them a little with some pliers, then covered the ends with heat shrink and pushed them onto the cluster pins.
So...

I pull out a wire and place it in the 'blank' section (in the correct spot, this image is not accurate)

UK
Old 22-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #18
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

correct

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 22-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #19
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
correct
Thanks for this will try tomorrow.

UK
Old 22-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Rod - heat shrink for the bare wires going into the new pin position is a must. We did it pretty much that way on GKs too.
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #21
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

How to you 'pop' the wires out without breaking them?

UK
Old 23-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #22
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

i used a really small flat screwdriver to poke them out, the plug has little plastic clips holding them in

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 23-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #23
FYRE_81_AUI_00
woop woop woop woop

UK- to remove the wires you need to move the inside white part of the plug, it will slide across if you push the sides out slightly holding in place
then like fourl6 said a very small flat screw driver or i got some thin gauge wire myself and on the wire where its clipped in you will see a small gap shove the screw driver or wire in there as far as you can and it should release the clip holding it in, then just pull on the wire and it should pop out

and as advised get some tape or heat shrink and cover up the 4 wires you are moving to stop them shorting out on the other pins or go to the wreckers and get a plug from a high series which is what i did and makes it alot easier if you intend on stuffing around with the cluster more in the future

cheers mate hope it all goes well
FYRE_81_AUI_00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #24
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Hi UK.

Pic as promised.

On the SR, we used small gold connectors (Dick Smith) to which we soldered wire to. then we actually cut the wires needed from the plug and used connectors to join the cut wire, with the wire soldered to the gold connector. This way, if you wanted to put the old cluster back in, and sell off the Tickford or High Series item, you could do so quite easily.

Just another way of doing it.

Shalom,

GK
Attached Files
File Type: doc Cluster_Pins_Picture_-_Word_Doc[1].doc (30.0 KB, 257 views)

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #25
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Well instead of going nuts with rewiring I have been a busy lad....looking for my CAR KEYS....AHHHHH....
I can't find them. Been looking for 3 hours, I only have a spare remote and of course I put the power windows down this morning. This has not been a good day.

UK
Old 23-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #26
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

if you can't find your keys... i can PM you a way to activate your cluster/BCM which means you can put the windows up... done it on the wagon..

better still, get 1 wire, slip it into the "Radio" fuse at the fuse box, then get the other end and slide that into the "Cluster" fuse.... its worked for me..
Old 23-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #27
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
if you can't find your keys... i can PM you a way to activate your cluster/BCM which means you can put the windows up... done it on the wagon..

better still, get 1 wire, slip it into the "Radio" fuse at the fuse box, then get the other end and slide that into the "Cluster" fuse.... its worked for me..
Thanks lad worked a treat. windows now shut. Now if I can just find the blasted keys......AHHHH...
UK
Old 23-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #28
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

i have a fix for that too but your ignition wouldnt like it...

umm... the only thing that you could really do to get another key cut without having to take your car to fraud (tow it) is if you have two keys and are programming a third...

now... wheres that other key so you can drive there and get a key thats called a "spare"?...

good luck
Old 23-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #29
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Hi UK.

Pic as promised.

On the SR, we used small gold connectors (Dick Smith) to which we soldered wire to. then we actually cut the wires needed from the plug and used connectors to join the cut wire, with the wire soldered to the gold connector. This way, if you wanted to put the old cluster back in, and sell off the Tickford or High Series item, you could do so quite easily.

Just another way of doing it.

Shalom,

GK
Thanks GK
Old 23-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #30
4ford

Hey...Uncle Ken...
semantics I guess, but the indicator in the dash of the Fairmonts doesn't tell you what gear you're in, it simply tells you what gear you have selected.

Cheers...
4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post