Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 10-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #1
JPerdix
Starter Motor

Default Cougar brake warning

My handbrake warning and ABS warning come on together, intermittently, with no disturbance of brake performance. Presumably a wiring problem? Any help appreciated.
JPerdix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Cougar brake warning

The wiring schematics are ion our Tech Portal so start there and see if the ABS module and handbrake share any common wiring. It's also possible the ABS module is playing up - have you scanned for codes?

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-06-2019, 04:31 AM   #3
REDDYZ

Most likely it's one of the ABS sensors on a wheel. A quick diagnostic scan can pin point the specific cause. Is it a manual or automatic?
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-06-2019, 08:08 AM   #4
JPerdix
Starter Motor

Thanks REDDYZ. It is an automatic. We have run the standard diagnostics and when the warning lights are on the system will not communicate. When they are not lit, no fault is reported. These lights are only on for a few minutes at a time, it is difficult to get the tests done when they are on because they go off by the time we get to the service centre! We have just increased the earthing as suggested for other vague electrical problems, early days yet but no fault, fingers crossed.

Last edited by JPerdix; 11-06-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:19 AM   #5
JPerdix
Starter Motor

Thanks RusselW. I am not used to harness diagrams but I see no commenality with the handbrake circuit. We had thought that the ABS control might be the problem, but Bosch no longer supply any replacement and when they did they were in thousands of dollars!
The coolant level light has been a problem in the past, illuminating when all seemed well. Recently the traction contol has seemingly turned off of its own accord on one occasion.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #6
REDDYZ

This sounds like intermittent issue. There could be two possibilities from what I have seen with others in other forums.

1). Neutral safety switch or brake stop light switch under the pedal could be faulty. It may not seems related but some autos have such behaviour with faulty neutral safety switch. Stop light switch could be culprit if it is related to neutral safety switch. On some autos it does.

2). ABS units are mounted on a bracket that hangs down with not much support causing lot of vibrations to the unit. These vibrations cause premature wear and tear. In such cases it's the ABS control unit attached to the pump and not the pump itself.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:36 AM   #7
REDDYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPerdix View Post
Thanks RusselW. I am not used to harness diagrams but I see no commenality with the handbrake circuit. We had thought that the ABS control might be the problem, but Bosch no longer supply any replacement and when they did they were in thousands of dollars!
The coolant level light has been a problem in the past, illuminating when all seemed well. Recently the traction contol has seemingly turned off of its own accord on one occasion.
PM me and I can help with the ABS control module.

With coolant indicator, if you go up on a steep driveway it will light up as coolant flows away from the sensor. Flaw in the design. Turning engine off and on would reset the light. Or just top it up just above the max mark to see it's not the sensor itself.