Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 31-07-2022, 05:39 PM   #1
bundybear75

Default End of an era

So, with sadness, I have left the Mondeo fold...

After losing 4th gear on my MC highway hack at 395K, and the stat write-off wreck I bought for the box having transmission issues too, I cut my losses and have sold the lot.

I've now gone full masochist and have purchased a diesel peugeot and diesel citroen hatches to do the highway hack life. At least the engine is similar 🤣

I do have a number of service items and a timing belt kit available at a reasonable price if anyone is interested. DM me...
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2022, 03:20 PM   #2
thebigd

Default Re: End of an era

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post
I've now gone full masochist and have purchased a diesel peugeot and diesel citroen hatches to do the highway hack life. At least the engine is similar 🤣...
Enjoy the 308HDi.
I hired one in England a few years back and was quite impressed with it. That is once I came to understand the stop start technology. It was my first experience with it (6 speed manual), and of course Avis didn't mention anything about it too me. I remember quite a few cars hooting at me at the roundabout leaving Birmingham Airport as I struggled to understand what the f was going on
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2022, 04:13 PM   #3
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigd View Post
Enjoy the 308HDi.
I hired one in England a few years back and was quite impressed with it. That is once I came to understand the stop start technology. It was my first experience with it (6 speed manual), and of course Avis didn't mention anything about it too me. I remember quite a few cars hooting at me at the roundabout leaving Birmingham Airport as I struggled to understand what the f was going on
My model is before the stop/start. Same 2.0 diesel as the earlier Mondeo's, with a proper torque converter auto. The Citroen C4 I have has the same engine and box, so my collection of 30+ oil filters I have stockpiled will come in handy. Just have to build up a stockpile of air and fuel filters.

I miss having a wagon though.....
2002 BMW R1150GS
Old 01-08-2022, 07:13 PM   #4
NPS

Hi Bundybear, european auto imports in Thornleigh Sydney have all the bits and pieces you need for servicing your pug and renault lot cheaper than rip off dealers all you need is your vin number they know the rest.Used to own a 307HDI had a good run out of it hope get the same. NPS
NPS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2022, 09:33 PM   #5
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the update on the kms / components.
I had a MC Mondeo and sold it before it hit 200k of highway driving, was curious (anxious?) to know how long they'd run before expensive parts replacement began.
There is quite a list of costly components in the modern mondeo turbo diesel

Went to a falcon FG2, brilliant car aside from the range difference, also now nearly at 200k km, and probably not even at third life, but soon to be replaced.

I very nearly bought a second hand low km MD mondeo given my experience with the MC, but in the end I stuck with a new car order (wagon/non Ford/petrol)

TBH I feel a bit dirty - I've regularly updated my Fords over the last 20-30 years, but little choice to support Australia/Ford nowadays unless you want a Ranger.

Mondeo really was underrated, and in my view technologically advanced. I loved the DCT / highway fuel range.
383hq is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-08-2022, 07:11 PM   #6
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
Thanks for the update on the kms / components.
I had a MC Mondeo and sold it before it hit 200k of highway driving, was curious (anxious?) to know how long they'd run before expensive parts replacement began.
There is quite a list of costly components in the modern mondeo turbo diesel

Went to a falcon FG2, brilliant car aside from the range difference, also now nearly at 200k km, and probably not even at third life, but soon to be replaced.

I very nearly bought a second hand low km MD mondeo given my experience with the MC, but in the end I stuck with a new car order (wagon/non Ford/petrol)

TBH I feel a bit dirty - I've regularly updated my Fords over the last 20-30 years, but little choice to support Australia/Ford nowadays unless you want a Ranger.

Mondeo really was underrated, and in my view technologically advanced. I loved the DCT / highway fuel range.
I've never really had a brand preference, but as I do over 50K km a year, an economic diesel engine is a must. The DCT was great on the highway, but I coulndt justify a $4K rebuild on a 400K km car.

apart from the speed sensor at 135k km, and a dpf fuel vaporiser at 220K km, I had zero other issues with the Mondeo - just regular maintenance and 2 tyres every 16-20K km
2002 BMW R1150GS
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2022, 08:58 PM   #7
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Cool Re: End of an era

good innings, I had hoped for more for you, but you get what you get and you can't get upset....is the saying lol

Hats off to you and good luck on the next HWY venture.
Old 10-08-2022, 09:06 AM   #8
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post
My model is before the stop/start. Same 2.0 diesel as the earlier Mondeo's, with a proper torque converter auto. The Citroen C4 I have has the same engine and box, so my collection of 30+ oil filters I have stockpiled will come in handy. Just have to build up a stockpile of air and fuel filters.

I miss having a wagon though.....
Problem solved - bought a 2010 Peugeot 308 SW yesterday, this one has 3 pedals which feels strange after years of auto goodness. 6 speed manual with a 2.0L diesel. Should be a hoot....
2002 BMW R1150GS
Old 11-08-2022, 11:33 PM   #9
Mondaveo

Gosh wow, Bundy.

I don't think we can call it the end of era, rather it looks like the Mondeo was the gateway to madness. There might be few things more self-flagellating than owning a Euro Ford with the notorious Powershift gearbox... But going all-in on French cars must be one I reckon

Only (half) joking, of course there can be many qualities found in the things overlooked and underrated by the mainstream by those willing to take a chance. Though I have to confess I expect to be playing it somewhat safer on my next time around.

I wonder if you are satisfied with the longevity you got out of your Mondeo? You once posted you were "hoping for (at least) 400K km" and it seems it only just made that distance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2022, 10:29 AM   #10
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
Gosh wow, Bundy.

I don't think we can call it the end of era, rather it looks like the Mondeo was the gateway to madness. There might be few things more self-flagellating than owning a Euro Ford with the notorious Powershift gearbox... But going all-in on French cars must be one I reckon

Only (half) joking, of course there can be many qualities found in the things overlooked and underrated by the mainstream by those willing to take a chance. Though I have to confess I expect to be playing it somewhat safer on my next time around.

I wonder if you are satisfied with the longevity you got out of your Mondeo? You once posted you were "hoping for (at least) 400K km" and it seems it only just made that distance?
If it wasn't for the failed transmission, I reckon I could of aimed for 500/600+ km. At almost 400K km, still on original everything on the engine (apart from the maintenance items such a tming belt and water pump) and even on original suspension. Started first hit every time and drove strong.

The car was sold through a local auction house, and may still be wandering around Canberra region. Keep an eye out 🤣

I still think it was one of the best driving cars I have ever owned.
2002 BMW R1150GS
Old 12-08-2022, 02:51 PM   #11
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of the cars I've owned in the last 50 years, 100% have been staion wagons. The disappearance of the SW is a big disappointment. My Mondeo wagons have the largest usefull capacity of any of them, RIP Mondeo SW.

Except for mine of course, still young at about 25000km, plastic spacers and malfunctioning sensors excluded.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2022, 02:59 PM   #12
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

250000km that is.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post