Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #31
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Have an AU 1 guia and only problem has been the windows sticking, as previously has said. But the rear diff is starting to make the 'Taxi whine' and is a bit annoying, and at only 90000 km but apart from that is the best Ford I have had for lack of problems.......touch wood!!!! With the VCT, it does hoon along a bit as well :voldar02:
The wagon is an AU 11 dead standard and just came back from a quick trip to N.T. and back to Melb, with again no probs. Windows are bit annoying in that one too!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 10-01-2005 at 09:35 PM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 10:48 PM   #32
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawsterfobik
But as you said it is an AUII, and being the 2nd of a particular model you would expect most, if not all of the problems to have been ironed out in the first model. The BA being the first in the model is going to have some slip ups.
You're right
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #33
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

There's already a thread on this in the, wait for it, AU section.

Click here for the link.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 11:02 PM   #34
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I have an AU1 XR8 and I had a leaking radiator whcih was done under (used car) warranty when I bought it. Other problems I've had is a leaking heater tap which I fixed, and window switched not working because of the contacts burnd out (whch I fixed without replacing). The diff also whines a little, but I reckon that's soemthing to do with all the heathcote events. Otherwise it's a brilliant car, never missed a beat.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 11:09 PM   #35
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Merged to aufalcon.com thread

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #36
buickman
buickman

The problems I've occured with the AU1 ghia is.
1: "o" leaking at back of w/pump fixed under warranty

2: Radiator leaking were they all let go on pass/side replaced with copper core one.

3: Climate/C/modlues fading out on premium models. Found a person who repairs them.

4: Replaced front rotors twice & f/pads 3 times have not had to replace the rears as yet. Car has only 80 odd thousand KMs.

5: Ball joint that holds the boot struts snap off while closing boot. A major repair if out of warranty.Could be a problem as these cars age as ball end neck is narrow and weak and water sits there & creates rust. There is a artical on how to repair the problem on the www.aufalcon.com site.

Otherwise I find AU's very good touring cars and suited to Australian road conditions. The shape has grown on a lot of people nowdays.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-01-2005, 01:29 AM   #37
Kermit

Love my AUIII.

Only problem in the past year of ownership was the leaking radiator which was fixed under warranty on the 75,000 service.

Now due for 90,000 service. Been to Byron Bay and Melbourne & back with no problems.

GO FORD AU!!!!!

AUIII XR6 VCT - Venom Red

Modified JMM DEV1 VCT:- JMM Race headers, Redback cat back 2.5” exhaust, JMM hi flow cat, Modified airbox with pod filter & XR8 snorkel (JMM VCT Kit)
160rwkw

Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 09:08 PM   #38
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconfan
Love my AUIII.

Only problem in the past year of ownership was the leaking radiator which was fixed under warranty on the 75,000 service.

Now due for 90,000 service. Been to Byron Bay and Melbourne & back with no problems.

GO FORD AU!!!!!
Hi Mate,

Off the topic, but i like your car. Gotta love the Venom Red AUII/III XR's. The shape still looks as sharp today as the time when i bought it. Mines just ticked 65k and i still love mine heaps.
Old 18-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #39
Kermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY
Hi Mate,

Off the topic, but i like your car. Gotta love the Venom Red AUII/III XR's. The shape still looks as sharp today as the time when i bought it. Mines just ticked 65k and i still love mine heaps.
Thanks mate. Yeah they do look pretty good. Only 65k, you've got years of trouble free fun ahead. :sm_headba

AUIII XR6 VCT - Venom Red

Modified JMM DEV1 VCT:- JMM Race headers, Redback cat back 2.5” exhaust, JMM hi flow cat, Modified airbox with pod filter & XR8 snorkel (JMM VCT Kit)
160rwkw

Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 05:02 PM   #40
stera

Cool

Hey guys ...

Have a AU III Futura and no probs (touch bloody wood) !!

Just wondering where the ... "I have this problem page is" ??!

When I find that page ... Id like 2 know why when Im in Drive (gears 1,2,3, D or R) and have foot on the break (at a red light 4 example) there is a really harsh sound coming from the engine. Sounds like something is vibrating... Ive been told @ Ford that its the vacuum thing getting gases out ... Or SOMETHING like that ... As u can tell, Im a wiz mechanically !!

Supposedly occurs on all AU's .. but when Im at the lights next 2 another AU .. I cant hear their's ... But mine makes enough sound 4 the both of us !

Any ideas ...

Thanx ... Oh, and let me know about that "I have this problem page is" ??!

PS ... Just done 65,ooo kms

PPS ... Just above my a/c fan speed knob (1,2,3,4) ... That side of the console vibrates like a bitch on the highway... How can I tighten this side up - Cos its annoying as hell and hard 2 steer and push on the console at the same time !!

Last edited by stera; 24-01-2005 at 05:12 PM.
stera is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 09:14 PM   #41
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Is it a ticking sound? Does it sound like it's coming from behind the passenger side headlight and in front of the front left wheel?

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 10:34 PM   #42
Bundy

Default 2 Problems

Yay, my 1st post here.

I've had 2 problems:

1) Heater pipe developed a small hole allowing coolant to drip out. The hole developed at the end of the pipe, where it splits into two smaller outlets. Replacement from ford was about $35 to $40 with the O-ring. Fitting was pretty easy, you just have to take out the airbox to gain access to the pipe. Of course, this meant I had to flush and refill the coolant, so the whole operation cost me just under $50.

2) Brakes shuddering under braking, even in the dry. I've just ordered new front slotted discs and pads, leaving the rears alone for now. In the future I may get the rears machined and fit a new set of pads while I'm at it.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 12:26 AM   #43
dangt69

Angry

i had, and recently got rid of, a 1999 au xls v8 ute wich would have to have been the worst car i have ever owned. power window switches were replaced (warranty) radiator replaced (warranty) a/c compressor replaced (warrantY) computer replaced (warranty) complete engine bay wiring loom replaced (warranty) fuel sender replaced (warranty) complete set of lifters replaced , one at a time!!!!!!!!!!! (warranty) they never could find the source of the knocking noise from the engine. replaced one at a time, i couldn't believe it. the bloody thing was in the ford workshop more often than not. in the end they told me the loud knocking noise was at an exceptable level and was normal. all this with only 30 000 klms on it. i didnt want to find out if the noise was a big end gone or something so i got rid of it. the transmission (auto) would change in and out of overdrive constantly, sitting at the lights in drive with foot on brake, and the speedo would rise up to 60 or 80 or even 100 kays and i wasnt moving. ( no i wasnt smoking the tyres). some times something would even beep at me four or five times. speedo would stop working at times. i wasnt sad to see the *** of that car. enjoy the probs of my 88 ea fairmont much better. probs with a 17 year old car are expected.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:04 PM   #44
bratwurst
Starter Motor

Default Climate control

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGZMK
Common problem. Climate control display unit with missing segments on the numbers being displayed. All AU Fairmont's, Fairmont Ghia's, Fairlane's, LTD's, TE50's (series I and II), TS50's and TL50's are effected. Don't know exactly what causes this, but have heard it's due to heat breaking down the contact points on the PCB at the back of the unit. Sorry folks, I only know of the problem, and have no solution, or idea on how/cost to fix it.

I bought a rebuilt unit (with lifetime warranty) for my TS50 and it's in 100% working order. Noticed some melted plastic type material on the back where the "strip"(?) of wire that comes off the LCD screen, meets the PCB on the back.
Mine has the same problem.Had 2 replaced under warranty,but now on my own.Reluctant to pay about $800 for replacement,where did you get your unit and how much?
bratwurst is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 07:05 PM   #45
Philbie
Drvtme

I bought a rebuilt unit (with lifetime warranty)

Who offers lifetime warranties now days - this seems too good!

What on earth is going on!........i’m Back in the ford camp.....#2019
Philbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2005, 06:22 PM   #46
AU_Wagin

AU II Fairmont Wagon V8 Tickford Suspension HM Headers and exhaust, Yella Roller Rockers - Ford will not cover exhaust Mods, but will cover engine even with R/Rockers fitted by Mik Webb - thats got to be good

35 kms: First problem I6 decal on left front, V8 decal on right fixed U/W

29,000 Radiator leaking fixed U/W

59,000 Front Rt wheel bearing fixed U/W

61,000 Radiator replaced U/W and fuel sendor replaced

65,000 Climate Control display Replaced missing segments Fixed U/W

69,000 Drivers Seat right hand side steel framwork poked thru the fabric U/W

72,000 Purchased extended Warranty ( 165,000 ) or 5 Years - $860 best thing I ever did

80,000 theromstat recall - hole drilled ( suppose to stop the radiator problems I was told ) Fuel sensor replaced again

83,000 Driver seat removed and had to be totally reupholsted, frame poked thru right hand back again, and lower cushin sagged - and I am only 88 Kgs too :

91,000 Front Right wheel bearing noisy - fixed U/W

92,000 Rear Transmission Seal Fixed U/W

107,000 Pinion Seal leaking Fixed U/W Fuel guage sender replaced again U/W

109,000 Blown left parking globe, and right main headlight globe - fixed under extended warranty :dr_Evil: Thought I would have to pay for this !

110,000 Steering rack re-call weld to bolts/nuts ? U/W

111,000 left rear shock leaking - both replaced under Ext/W

121, 000 steering rack leaking - replaced U Ext/W battery one dead cell, I had to pay

123,000 sterring column replaced Knocking Ext /W

146,000 Fuel sender replaced again Ext/W

147,000 Knock in front - turning under low speed and front right full lock TBA

149,000 Bad ticking noise from behind left head lamp - documented problem comes and goes, I sorta put up with it

So, not too bad really, wagon is running fabo, and I love it, and was glad I had the extended warranty from Strapp Ford, - steering rack failure paid for it in one go. Change oil and filter every 7,500 K - have to get front alignment every 10,000 or there go the tyres again - wear and tear items front pads at 55,000, 90,000 and 142,000, rears at 90,000. Spark plugs - I wouldnt go 115,000 again, they were really stuffed - I think 90,000 would be the limit and left rear plug lead keeps falling off

Ray

http://www.aufalcon.com/AUWagin.htm

http://www.awcinfo.com/secureshop/ca...=28&scat_id=56

Last edited by AU_Wagin; 06-02-2005 at 06:31 PM.
AU_Wagin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 01:15 PM   #47
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Thanks alot guys. I'm looking at getting an AU Ute and coming across this thread, doesn't sound like a good idea. I suppose though that most problems should have been fixed.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:01 AM   #48
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocko_EA
Thanks alot guys. I'm looking at getting an AU Ute and coming across this thread, doesn't sound like a good idea. I suppose though that most problems should have been fixed.
Each model of car is going to have it's share of problems (or luckily not) spread amongst various owners, regardless if it's an AU, E-series or BA. There are a few of us here that have had a pretty good run so far, touch wood.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:53 AM   #49
Paul m
Starter Motor

AUIII XR6 VCT UTE - 08/02

Purchased 30 Dec 2004. 69000K.

Replaced Radiator - Wrty (Replaced the thermostat a week before and it had a hole drilled in it, so it doesn't fix the problem!, New one (genunine Ford replacement) doesn't have the hole drilled....)

Steering rack - TBA, goes in on Friday, leaking and play.

Other than that it all appears good.
Paul m is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2005, 06:36 PM   #50
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocko_EA
If you buy one, you will not regret it. These cars are extremely reliable : :
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2005, 02:20 PM   #51
Paul m
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul m
AUIII XR6 VCT UTE - 08/02

Purchased 30 Dec 2004. 69000K.

Replaced Radiator - Wrty (Replaced the thermostat a week before and it had a hole drilled in it, so it doesn't fix the problem!, New one (genunine Ford replacement) doesn't have the hole drilled....)

Steering rack - TBA, goes in on Friday, leaking and play.

Other than that it all appears good.
A new rack was installed, just need to get a decent wheel alignment.

Paul
Paul m is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 11:25 PM   #52
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Most cars have quite a few recalls in their lives. I can't find the site just now but there is one dedicated to motor vehicle recalls. No manufacturer is safe from product problems, not even Merc or BMW.

Most motor enthusiasts forums are filled with people looking for hints and tips on problems that occur. Don't be put off by this.

Has Fez and XB.

Last edited by loxxr6; 09-03-2005 at 11:27 PM. Reason: more text
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2005, 01:43 PM   #53
O-one

Default Issues

I have recently purchased an AU2 VCT Xr6 75,000km

Issues include:

Valvetrain noise (potential Camshaft bearings or tappets)
Exhaust manifold leak (may have been caused by faulty rear exhaust hanger)
Brake rotors
Poor warm idle
Rear strut mounts
Drivetrain baclkash (though may be time for a new clutch soon)

The idling problem seems to be common anyone with any details of the fix for this?

Other wise electrical, upholstery and body are pefect will be more than happy once these things are fixed.

The majority of these appear to be as a result of poor mantenance I assume at the hands of the fleet management or leasing companies accountant.

Has anyone experienced similar issues with ex lease cars?

O
Old 20-03-2005, 10:50 AM   #54
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

A few things I've had go wrong.

Water pump drip, nothing major.

Knocking noise in front right when braking and turning right - TBA

Blessings,

George
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2005, 10:06 AM   #55
Mr220kw
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGZMK
Is it a ticking sound? Does it sound like it's coming from behind the passenger side headlight and in front of the front left wheel?
It's the charcoal cannister. Mine ticks on the Xr8 all the time, it's harmless. Don't stress over it or you'll drive yourself nuts.
: : :
Mr220kw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2005, 06:22 PM   #56
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr220kw
It's the charcoal cannister. Mine ticks on the Xr8 all the time, it's harmless. Don't stress over it or you'll drive yourself nuts.

My noise is more knocking than ticking, and comes from the right not the left. I'm going to have the upper control arm bushes looked at and most likely changed. The car has done 120,000 kms.

Anyone know how much I'll be up for?

George
Old 09-04-2005, 04:46 PM   #57
kjau99
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
There is a guy on ebay, that puts his service up for sale to fix the screens. And i've heard of quite a few that have done this and the screens have been fixed with no problem.

Here is the add: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....515112631&rd=1

Or his actual site: http://www.geocities.com/liquidxtal/index.html

He is in Victoria for those who wanna know.
That is awesome, thanks for that!! I need to get mine fixed cos it drives me up the wall looking at it like that! When Ford said I needed to replace it at $800 I thought yeah right, but now I can fix it at last!!
kjau99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2005, 10:05 PM   #58
BF MKII UTE

Mainly effects AU Series 1

Problem : Horn stuck on or doesn't work at all

Cause : A short or a broken switch inside a sealed unit.

Fix : Not repairable, Must replace complete Hornpad,Airbag Module as a unit.

Cost : New from Ford $ 600.00
Used from wrecker $ 150.00

Ford service dept. has told me today that this is becoming a regular occurance with this model at the moment. The wrecker also said he has been selling and fitting these quite a bit lately.
BF MKII UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2005, 09:01 PM   #59
GK
Walking with God

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr220kw
I've got the problem sorted out. See "Make the Knocking Stop"

Cheers
Old 28-04-2005, 09:06 AM   #60
Bangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
Item
Cost:- $10/$15 for a large can of silicon spray
Is Sillicon Spray WD40?

I have this issue with my windows, mainly noticable when I'm coming back from the gym at night (9pm, semi-cold, windows down, highway driving..).

I've used WD40 numerous times, but it doesn't seem to fix it (it always reappears)