Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #31
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Re: NSW mobile phone detection cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
see, I'm far from convinced. If phone usage was really such a road safety issue, the cops could have been out in force years ago policing the already existing laws, but how many people do you know have ever been done? Call me old, grumpy and cynical, but why wait until it can be automated to police this law? Revenue?

In Sydney city the motorbike police far outnumber the cars. They lane split and check drivers.

I’ve seen countless people get done. You ask any cop and they will tell you catching people on the phone would be the easiest way to meet their ‘quota’
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #32
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I have no issue with this rule. Anyone who is against it, is part of the problem.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #33
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Couple of points, which no one will care about because actual data is boring right ?

If you can be bothered reading the qld transport annual reports into road safety from the late 90's - early 2000's you will see when Beatie came to power and introduced speed cameras and massively increased the anti speeding campaign deaths and injuries due to carshes caused by excessive speed did not decline at all. What did change was an approximately 20% INCREASE in deaths/injuries/crashes caused by inattention. This was long before smart phones but was in part due to nokias.

When people are routinely driving over the limit they are looking for cops so as not to get booked. While doing so they automatically do their collision avoidance. Once the traffic slowed people stopped paying attention and those drivers are not safe at any speed. This wasn't helped by the "every k over is a killer" type ads. To some people that read "if I'm under I'm safe no matter what I'm doing".

As a result the decline in road trauma that had started in the late 70's abruptly stopped in 98 rose slightly and plateaued for the next 12 years until a spike in petrol prices reduced driving miles and thus the toll.

What p's me off about this current range of laws is the deliberate ambiguity. Pull over ? You can have your ignition on but the engine must be off. And of course the points made above. This is done deliberately so they can ping more people. Once again revenue disguised as safety.
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #34
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
see, I'm far from convinced. If phone usage was really such a road safety issue, the cops could have been out in force years ago policing the already existing laws, but how many people do you know have ever been done? Call me old, grumpy and cynical, but why wait until it can be automated to police this law? Revenue?
Never watch Motorbike Cops?

Season 2 Episode 3 summary includes the comment "Mark and Rohan are sick of busting driver after driver on their mobile phones with lame excuses."

Episode here:
https://7plus.com.au/motorbike-cops?...-id=MTCP02-003

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #35
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

If you stupid enough to contribute to government revenue then so be it, everyone knows they are risking a fine when using their phones illegally.
No sympathy to the dumb asses who are risking our lives.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

In my travels around Adelaide I've noticed they had cops in foot in the CBD looking into people's cars at intersections and cops on motorbikes checking everyone as they went past.

Here in Melbourne never seen them doing that
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #37
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I don't have a problem with pinging people who are using their phones whilst driving or at lights/intersections etc. but what I have a problem with is the ambiguous rules, especially here in SA with regard to using them when 'parked' and the 'official' interpretation of that term.

In SA we are allowed to use a mobile device to make and receive a call when parked, the rule makes no mention of whether the engine can be running or not, only that 'parked' can not be at lights or queued in traffic.
I've had some people say must be switched off, some say all good to be running, the problem is the rule doesn't actually specify.

I had an incident last week with regard to this exact situation, had just left the school where the bus had sat without the engine running for around 20 minutes in 25* weather, it doesn't take long for the inside to reach much higher and so I always turn the AC on when we get under way.
Soon after leaving the school one of my new students gets up and starts wondering around the bus, I caution them but unfortunately being new Australians they don't quite understand the rules or what im saying necessarily, so my only option is to contact the school co-ordinator and notify them of the situation, this can take quite a while as they aren't always readily on hand to take a call, I have a direct line but if I was to go by the proper procedure it involves a call to the contractor, who then contacts the school, who then contacts the co-ordinator, who then contacts me, it can take 10 minutes minimum.

Obviously I cant do this whilst driving and as my first drop off was only a few hundred meters up the road I arrived there, put the bus in park as its an auto, applied the handbrake and switched on the hazard lights, I left the engine running with the AC on as it was still very warm, these AC units take a while to cool the bus.

I opened the bus door and let the 2 students, who's house i'd arrived at, out.
Now as far as im concerned I've done the right thing, waited until I stopped and parked the bus.
I reached for my phone and only just picked it up when some guy riding past on his push bike, on the footpath with no helmet might I add, stopped and started going off his head because in his mind, having the engine running, im driving whilst on the phone.
So I tried to explain the situation but he wasn't having a bar of it, threatened to call my employer etc. etc.
So when I got home I searched up the road rules, this is the rule as written for SA...

AUSTRALIAN ROAD RULES - REG 300
300—Use of mobile phones
(1) The driver of a vehicle must not use a mobile phone while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked, unless—
(a) the phone is being used to make or receive an audio phone call and the body of the phone—
(i) is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle while being so used; or
(ii) is not secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle and is not being held by the driver, and the use of the phone does not require the driver, at any time while using it, to press any thing on the body of the phone or to otherwise manipulate any part of the body of the phone; or
(ab) the phone is being used as a driver's aid and—
(i) the body of the phone is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle while being so used; and
(ii) the use of the phone does not require the driver, at any time while using it, to press any thing on the body of the phone or otherwise to manipulate any part of the body of the phone; or
(b) the vehicle is an emergency vehicle or a police vehicle; or
(c) the driver is exempt from this rule under another law of this jurisdiction.
Offence provision.
Note—
"Emergency vehicle", "park" and "police vehicle are defined in the dictionary.

SA NOTE—
For South Australia, in addition to this rule, see regulation 44 of the Road Traffic (Road Rules—Ancillary and Miscellaneous Provisions) Regulations 2014

And this from the SA Government DPTI website..

You must not use a hand-held mobile phone while your vehicle is moving or is stationary in traffic (for example, at traffic lights). You may, however, use a hand-held mobile phone while your vehicle is parked.
If a person wishes to make or receive a call, including dialling a number and needs to touch any part of the phone to do so, that phone must be mounted (in a mounting commercially designed and manufactured for that purpose).
If the phone is being used via blue tooth, a headset or earphones without touching, holding or resting the phone on their body, the driver may touch the earpiece or headphone to operate the phone (the phone may be located anywhere in the vehicle, including the driver's pocket or pouch they are wearing).
It is an offence to create, send or look at a text, video message or email on a mobile phone.
It is an offence to make or receive a video call on a mobile phone whilst your vehicle is moving.
Drivers of police or emergency vehicles are exempt.

Now I understand why some people would consider having your engine running as not 'parked' but if I we're to pull up in my car in a zone marked with a NO PARKING sign and left my engine running for half an hour, am I parked?

Thoughts..

Last edited by BENT_8; 02-12-2019 at 03:09 PM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #38
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
In my travels around Adelaide I've noticed they had cops in foot in the CBD looking into people's cars at intersections and cops on motorbikes checking everyone as they went past.

Cops on pushbikes hang around some major intersections doing the same thing above in Melbourne.

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #39
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Further to the above, I recall something along the lines of being 'parked' as having the keys removed from the ignition.

Could be an urban myth as it seems to not be mentioned anywhere but what do those with smart key fobs do in that case?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #40
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Further to the above, I recall something along the lines of being 'parked' as having the keys removed from the ignition.

Could be an urban myth as it seems to not be mentioned anywhere but what do those with smart key fobs do in that case?
Yes, I've read that too.

I discussed this with a work colleague who searched the net and sent me an extract from a website which claimed as much...only problem was it was a British site called sell your car to Jack or something which has zero relevance to SA law.
The only thing I've read which related to an incident in SA was where someone's friend got pinged in a Kmart carpark.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #41
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few years back in Melbourne they had a blitz on window tinting. Police were on foot doing this at busy city intersections. I recall because My car at the time had slightly darker than legal tint so I avoided the city..

VICPOL like a good Blitz, catching people out for things like the wrong colour shackle on your trailer chain etc.
nothing like catching people unaware, fines on these major offences can be 2-3 hundred
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #42
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

As I drive with my doors locked, when I park to handle the phone I put the car keys where they’re visible on top of the dash. It’s unnecessary IMO but cuts out the jobsworths and do-gooders from being an issue.

Why aren’t stop signs enforced consistently? I was in a messy smash years ago caused by someone who had no regard for such - and then lacked the courage to stick around and own their efforts. Surely it would be straightforward enough to make mobile enforcement tech for these?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #43
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

Why aren’t stop signs enforced consistently? I was in a messy smash years ago caused by someone who had no regard for such - and then lacked the courage to stick around and own their efforts. Surely it would be straightforward enough to make mobile enforcement tech for these?

this is why we have mobile phones, can can be held and take photos where dash cams cant
Old 02-12-2019, 07:24 PM   #44
jinksie

link for mobile phone use
https://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov...the-rules.html
jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2019, 07:47 PM   #45
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
As I drive with my doors locked, when I park to handle the phone I put the car keys where they’re visible on top of the dash. It’s unnecessary IMO but cuts out the jobsworths and do-gooders from being an issue.

I actually received a fine because my brother didnt come to a full stop in my car at the end of his street, he just treated as a give way. So i guess it is enforced on slow news days. It is a 0 demerit fine so i didnt go stat dec on it but made him pay.
My ex mrs got done for phone use a while back. All i heard was excuses, but a bike cop was lane filtering and got her on helmet cam so no excuse. She was late paying the fine and lost her licence for 2 weeks because of that.
For work i have to be contactable. But i made sure i spent a bit extra on a really nice dash mount thats magnetic to cover my rear. Im in a rental car at the moment but i made sure to bring my mount as obviouly rentals dont come with phone mounts and i spend a lot of time on the road relying on google maps for directions, so i need all bases covered as i need my licence for work. My personal car i do not mount my phone, but it hasnt got bluetooth so if im driving i dont want to talk to anybody. So it stays in my pocket. If its machine gun calls or texts ill pull over and drop the keys on the floor..
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2019, 07:55 PM   #46
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
13 serious accidents that probably wouldn't have happened if they weren't on their phones. 26 cars seriously damaged
unless any were single vehicle accidents

if they were genuinely concerned about safety, they would attend fender benders and they would hand out fines for negligent driving. that likely would have an effect on driving standards.

similarly, they would require elderly drivers to demonstrate competence. per km travelled, our oldest drivers are as dangerous as the youngest. but the big difference is that young drivers have predominantly single vehicle accidents, elderly drivers tend to hit others. on that basis alone, they warrant more police attention.

instead, police roll out tech to target behaviour lots of drivers partake in, without necessarily doing much for road safety. sounds familiar...
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2019, 09:18 PM   #47
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I don't have a problem with pinging people who are using their phones whilst driving or at lights/intersections etc. but what I have a problem with is the ambiguous rules, especially here in SA with regard to using them when 'parked' and the 'official' interpretation of that term.

In SA we are allowed to use a mobile device to make and receive a call when parked, the rule makes no mention of whether the engine can be running or not, only that 'parked' can not be at lights or queued in traffic.
I've had some people say must be switched off, some say all good to be running, the problem is the rule doesn't actually specify.

I had an incident last week with regard to this exact situation, had just left the school where the bus had sat without the engine running for around 20 minutes in 25* weather, it doesn't take long for the inside to reach much higher and so I always turn the AC on when we get under way.
Soon after leaving the school one of my new students gets up and starts wondering around the bus, I caution them but unfortunately being new Australians they don't quite understand the rules or what im saying necessarily, so my only option is to contact the school co-ordinator and notify them of the situation, this can take quite a while as they aren't always readily on hand to take a call, I have a direct line but if I was to go by the proper procedure it involves a call to the contractor, who then contacts the school, who then contacts the co-ordinator, who then contacts me, it can take 10 minutes minimum.

Obviously I cant do this whilst driving and as my first drop off was only a few hundred meters up the road I arrived there, put the bus in park as its an auto, applied the handbrake and switched on the hazard lights, I left the engine running with the AC on as it was still very warm, these AC units take a while to cool the bus.

I opened the bus door and let the 2 students, who's house i'd arrived at, out.
Now as far as im concerned I've done the right thing, waited until I stopped and parked the bus.
I reached for my phone and only just picked it up when some guy riding past on his push bike, on the footpath with no helmet might I add, stopped and started going off his head because in his mind, having the engine running, im driving whilst on the phone.
So I tried to explain the situation but he wasn't having a bar of it, threatened to call my employer etc. etc.
So when I got home I searched up the road rules, this is the rule as written for SA...

AUSTRALIAN ROAD RULES - REG 300
300—Use of mobile phones
(1) The driver of a vehicle must not use a mobile phone while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked, unless—
(a) the phone is being used to make or receive an audio phone call and the body of the phone—
(i) is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle while being so used; or
(ii) is not secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle and is not being held by the driver, and the use of the phone does not require the driver, at any time while using it, to press any thing on the body of the phone or to otherwise manipulate any part of the body of the phone; or
(ab) the phone is being used as a driver's aid and—
(i) the body of the phone is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle while being so used; and
(ii) the use of the phone does not require the driver, at any time while using it, to press any thing on the body of the phone or otherwise to manipulate any part of the body of the phone; or
(b) the vehicle is an emergency vehicle or a police vehicle; or
(c) the driver is exempt from this rule under another law of this jurisdiction.
Offence provision.
Note—
"Emergency vehicle", "park" and "police vehicle are defined in the dictionary.

SA NOTE—
For South Australia, in addition to this rule, see regulation 44 of the Road Traffic (Road Rules—Ancillary and Miscellaneous Provisions) Regulations 2014

And this from the SA Government DPTI website..

You must not use a hand-held mobile phone while your vehicle is moving or is stationary in traffic (for example, at traffic lights). You may, however, use a hand-held mobile phone while your vehicle is parked.
If a person wishes to make or receive a call, including dialling a number and needs to touch any part of the phone to do so, that phone must be mounted (in a mounting commercially designed and manufactured for that purpose).
If the phone is being used via blue tooth, a headset or earphones without touching, holding or resting the phone on their body, the driver may touch the earpiece or headphone to operate the phone (the phone may be located anywhere in the vehicle, including the driver's pocket or pouch they are wearing).
It is an offence to create, send or look at a text, video message or email on a mobile phone.
It is an offence to make or receive a video call on a mobile phone whilst your vehicle is moving.
Drivers of police or emergency vehicles are exempt.

Now I understand why some people would consider having your engine running as not 'parked' but if I we're to pull up in my car in a zone marked with a NO PARKING sign and left my engine running for half an hour, am I parked?

Thoughts..
I believe that "Parked" means engine off, trany in gear and parking brake applied.
If you have the engine running, you are "Standing"
Old 02-12-2019, 09:18 PM   #48
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

Think you should visit CBD and suburbs more often, seen plenty of them on foot & pushbikes, even the odd trail bike cops snooping around booking motorists.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2019, 10:22 PM   #49
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
I believe that "Parked" means engine off, trany in gear and parking brake applied.
If you have the engine running, you are "Standing"
Agreed, the problem is that 'Parked' can be applied differently to different situations.
If you look at the link in Jinksie's post above it clearly states under point 5 of the unrestricted licence heading, that 'parked' means out of the line of traffic and can have the ignition on whilst using a mobile device.
So their interpretation in that instance is that having your ignition on is still considered 'parked', yet having it on in a No Parking zone is considered 'Standing'.

Then there's this from the SA Gov DPTI website with regards to 'parking'...

'Parking is when you stop and allow your vehicle to stay in one place, whether or not you leave the vehicle unattended.

Again, no mention of ignition position.

These things could easily be cleared up with a few additional words in the written rule.

Last edited by BENT_8; 02-12-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:42 PM   #50
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #51
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BENT 8, not a criticism, but your employer rules can be more stringent and explicit than State rules.
As a NSW ex- bus driver, or rules were..
No incoming calls to be taken.
If you had to make call, park the bus safely, neutral, park brake on, engine stopped, get out of driver's seat and make call while standing on the front step.
Failure to comply = instant dismissal, and there were dismissals which the Union backed up, no running to the Union rep with tears and sad stories.
But personally, I can't see the difference between that, and using our 2 way radio, which was allowable.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #52
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
BENT 8, not a criticism, but your employer rules can be more stringent and explicit than State rules.
As a NSW ex- bus driver, or rules were..
No incoming calls to be taken.
If you had to make call, park the bus safely, neutral, park brake on, engine stopped, get out of driver's seat and make call while standing on the front step.
Failure to comply = instant dismissal, and there were dismissals which the Union backed up, no running to the Union rep with tears and sad stories.
But personally, I can't see the difference between that, and using our 2 way radio, which was allowable.
My Employer has no separate policy other than to abide by road rules applicable, in fact I regularly see senior staff on their mobile whilst parked waiting for clients and as you would know if you drove buses, its often better to leave the engine running on short waits than switch them on and off.
For me to shut my bus down I need to idle it for a couple of minutes for the turbo to cool.
The rules governing the contract stipulate that no one can board or alight the bus whilst the engine is running, could you imagine pulling up to pick up or drop off passengers and having to idle the bus for a couple of minutes to cool the turbo before you open the door, X that by the 10 stops im required to do in a 40 minute period, it doesn't happen because its a ridiculous notion and unpractical.

Our SA Police Commissioner was on the radio this morning discussing the new camera's in NSW amongst other things, after the Commissioner explained that the SA Government would be monitoring how it works in NSW before committing to them here the host, Mark Soderstrom, asked him about driving whilst drinking a coffee.
Now, recently we've seen people being pinged for failing to have control of their vehicle because they we're seen consuming drinks whilst driving, guess what the Commissioners response was...
Yes you can drink a coffee whilst driving but it cant be a distraction.
Question is, who decides if its a distraction...that's the grey area and leaves the driver at the mercy of the particular officer.

Personally I believe they leave the grey area in the rules because it gives them the ability to pick and choose how and when they apply them.

Last edited by BENT_8; 03-12-2019 at 12:25 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #53
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I have a good friend who is daft enough to handle his phone often whilst driving. When the inevitable ping occurred, Monsieur Plod gifted him a fine for unsecured load (“loose dangerous items in the cabin”) instead of a phone penalty.

The silly bugger still moaned about it! It’s people like he, who will be caught by the new tech.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #54
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Personally I believe they leave the grey area in the rules because it gives them the ability to pick and choose how and when they apply them.
This. The rules are ambiguous for a reason. The general public reads it one way, authority the other.

As you say previously, a few more words inserted into a rule can clear everything up but they wont do that because it takes away the authorities power to interpret it their way. ( I have dealt with this in a rental capacity and dealing with tribunal )

This is also a question I have seen with the new digital drivers licenses and again the ambiguity behind mobile phone use and when you are considered parked etc.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #55
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post

VICPOL like a good Blitz, catching people out for things like the wrong colour shackle on your trailer chain etc.
Wait! WTF ??? You have colour coded shackles in victoria ? FFS...
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #56
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
For me to shut my bus down I need to idle it for a couple of minutes for the turbo to cool. The rules governing the contract stipulate that no one can board or alight the bus whilst the engine is running, ……………………….
I didn't have a turbo, just a dirty big Merc 6 cyl atmo.
No passengers on or off with engine running ......WTF …. never heard of that. What know-nothing desk driver would have thought of that one.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #57
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I didn't have a turbo, just a dirty big Merc 6 cyl atmo.
No passengers on or off with engine running ......WTF …. never heard of that. What know-nothing desk driver would have thought of that one.
I know, but them's the rules, I tried it on my first day thinking I was doing the right thing by obeying the rules, but within a few stops the smell coming out of it stopped that practice, haven't smelt it since, so it wasn't happy.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #58
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
This. The rules are ambiguous for a reason. The general public reads it one way, authority the other.

As you say previously, a few more words inserted into a rule can clear everything up but they wont do that because it takes away the authorities power to interpret it their way. ( I have dealt with this in a rental capacity and dealing with tribunal )
Agreed, and I get the old 'attitude test' which many officers apply when deciding how they interpret a possible wrong doing, but in my situation it wasn't a person of authority ranting at the bus door, it was a do gooder from the general populace who obviously hadn't read the way the rule is written or interpreted it differently to me and whilst its ok to say that's his prerogative as he isn't necessarily wrong either, having some random dude standing at the bus door ranting and raving with a bus full of young, recently arrived children, many of whom have come from very different backgrounds and therefore have trust issues, is probably causing more of a safety issue than me reaching for my mobile phone.
But I doubt vigilantism was at the forefront of thinking when they decided that ambiguous written rules we're a great idea.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #59
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Couldn't come soon enough. Driving while texting is worse than DUI…At least if you're ****ed you are still watching the road albeit through a fog , unless of course you're using your phone as well

If the government make revenue out of it. I'm OK with that…bring it on

So many times I've been close to being side swiped by some idiot looking down on their lap
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #60
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
Driving while texting is worse than DUI
That isn't saying much. DUI below 0.08 is fairly harmless (crash rates don't start going up until you reach this point), yet how many fines are handed out for 0.05-0.08 infringements?

This is the problem across the board. Safety initiatives that make relatively safe activity (eg. exceeding speed limits by 5-10kph) the focus of 90-95% of enforcement activity. The focus is money, any safety improvement is purely incidental.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post