Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #61
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Default Re: NSW mobile phone detection cameras

Sooooo.....
How does the camera know if you're holding the Phone?
Does it take a photo of every vehicle and then trained monkeys sift through every image?
Would love to know!
Old 05-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #62
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs View Post
Sooooo.....
Does it take a photo of every vehicle and then trained monkeys sift through every image?
Would love to know!
Camera looks into the cabin from above.

AI matches shapes and movements to someone holding a phone.

Computer flags possible offences.

Trained monkey then confirms before issuing fine if required.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #63
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

What could possibly go wrong
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #64
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

I'm willing to bet they delete the "trained Monkey" Bit, & just issue the Fine. It'll be then up to you to dispute It..!!!

As case in Point... My Wife received a "Camera Detected" offence in the Mail. When She asked for the Pic. It was of a Car registered in another State bearing the same Rego Number...!!!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #65
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I'm willing to bet they delete the "trained Monkey" Bit, & just issue the Fine. It'll be then up to you to dispute It..!!!

As case in Point... My Wife received a "Camera Detected" offence in the Mail. When She asked for the Pic. It was of a Car registered in another State bearing the same Rego Number...!!!
Innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply to revenue raising inititives.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2019, 03:36 PM   #66
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs View Post
Sooooo.....
Would love to know!
If I happen to be scratching my ear or nose while passing said camera, I wonder if the trained monkey will recognise that for what it is.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #67
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I had cause to do a fair bit of suburban driving yesterday around Sydney.

A LOT of people still obviously using their phones with their hands. The cameras will make a motza if accurate!

Also I wonder how many fibbers will get caught out, after telling their spouse or parents they don't do it.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #68
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Remember when dashes were like this

and sun visors fitted to the upper part of the windscreen..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2019, 10:13 PM   #69
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Remember when dashes were like this

and sun visors fitted to the upper part of the windscreen..
Umm, this implies that they're not fitted there anymore, mine are.

One on each side, twin overhead visors
Old 15-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #70
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Umm, this implies that they're not fitted there anymore, mine are.

One on each side, twin overhead visors
Wouldn't get away with one of those US style Gangster visors.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #71
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
Wait! WTF ??? You have colour coded shackles in victoria ? FFS...
No. This was one of those urban myths going around about the police in various States pinging people for not having 'load rated' shackles, which are yellow. While they are recommended by several bodies (including the Caravan Industry Association) but as far as I am aware no State legislature requires their use and the NCOP certainly doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
That isn't saying much. DUI below 0.08 is fairly harmless (crash rates don't start going up until you reach this point), yet how many fines are handed out for 0.05-0.08 infringements?
Sorry but I'm not letting that piece of stupidity go unchallenged. Impairment has been proven to start at any level of alcohol absorption and the legally mandated level is only what is deemed 'acceptable risk' at the time. The fact that we were once 0.08 and are now 0.05 has no relevance and does not imply that levels between 0.05 and 0.08 are 'fairly harmless'. If you'd like links to the research then I'm happy to provide them.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #72
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It’s one of the few “advances in technology” outside of curative medicine, that I’m looking forward to - a change in roadside enforcement abilities to recognise impaired driving as opposed to alcohol or a selected narrow range of drugs.

WRT the use of phones, I’d like to see how effective the cameras are in the face of those polarising visors and heavy tint to the sides. Will there soon be a sub-law for obstruction of a compliance system with implied guilt, such as the one for possession of a radar detector?
Old 15-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #73
marty351
Shenanigans..............

I agree with the above, except the mobile phone bit. Pointless to blame an everyday object that is used for just about every function in daily life, emergency contacts, payment systems, identification/s, internet access, medical requirements, etc. In this day and age, removing someone's phone could easily lead to a life threatening situation or even save someone from one. Besides, how would most people pay fines without a mobile computer with a phone function?
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #74
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Sorry but I'm not letting that piece of stupidity go unchallenged. Impairment has been proven to start at any level of alcohol absorption and the legally mandated level is only what is deemed 'acceptable risk' at the time. The fact that we were once 0.08 and are now 0.05 has no relevance and does not imply that levels between 0.05 and 0.08 are 'fairly harmless'. If you'd like links to the research then I'm happy to provide them.
You don't need to, I've seen them.

The problem is you need to understand the concept of relative risk in some sort of context. 0.08 is approximately double the relative risk, but relative to what? The risk of a crash compared to the average population. This crash risk is exceedingly small, 0.47 per 100,000,000 km travelled, equivalent to once every 111 lifetimes (assuming 15,000km (which is actually a little higher than the most recent ABS stats say) per year over a 60 year driving span). Doubling that risk is hardly taking your life in your hands. Arguably, it goes up by far more than that simply by going out on a rainy day.

Then consider other lawful behaviours that have no legal consequence but raise the crash risk, like driving tired. We don't require people who have worked multiple shifts to be driven home, or require private drivers to maintain a logbook of rest breaks for trips > 3hrs, etc. Hell, the crash risk of drivers over 75yo is equivalent to a BAC of 0.10, but they're still allowed to drive. This right is in fact fiercely defended by many.

Point is, there are a lot of behaviours or factors that impair drivers. Just because some can be easily policed doesn't mean those pinged for them are necessarily manifestly unsafe. IMO, the penalties should fit the risk, so a 0.05-0.08 would be an on-the-spot fine and you're on your way. Statistically at least, it doesn't warrant being dragged before the courts. And as I've mentioned elsewhere, it's hypocritical of the police when they refuse to attend actual crashes.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #75
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It’s one of the few “advances in technology” outside of curative medicine, that I’m looking forward to - a change in roadside enforcement abilities to recognise impaired driving as opposed to alcohol or a selected narrow range of drugs.
The tech probably exists now. We have tech to detect lane departure or emergency braking … X strikes and the vehicle slows/shuts down for an hour? There'd be a lot of stopped cars by the side of the road....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #76
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
We used to have that, it was called a white line
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #77
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Point is, there are a lot of behaviours or factors that impair drivers. Just because some can be easily policed doesn't mean those pinged for them are necessarily manifestly unsafe. IMO, the penalties should fit the risk, so a 0.05-0.08 would be an on-the-spot fine and you're on your way. Statistically at least, it doesn't warrant being dragged before the courts. And as I've mentioned elsewhere, it's hypocritical of the police when they refuse to attend actual crashes.
I'm not arguing that there aren't other factors but alcohol levels are certainly one of those and one which we can police. Some States (albeit only SA and WA) agree with you and don't suspend for low level offences choosing to issue a TIN instead.

If NSW drivers think these changes are bad, wait until you catch up with Victoria which not only offers a 90 day immediate suspension for a low level offence (which is also only 0.05-0.69) but also mandates all offending drivers attend a drink driver behaviour change program; enforces a Zero BAC requirement for a minimum of 3 years and insists drivers enter the alcohol interlock program for at least 6 months after their suspension ends. Total cost for a < 0.69 BAC offence is thus $2,880 of which only $496 is the actual fine!

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #78
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The NSFW government is crowing about how it detected “more than 3300 drivers” (attrib. ABC) using mobile devices in the first week after rollout.

It would be interesting to see how consistent the physical aspects of detected offences are, in other words how “smart” the cameras are in reality.
Old 19-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #79
marty351

With figures like that, Auspost can justify their existence.
Old 19-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #80
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Marty351 reckons taking someones phone could result in a life threatening situation.Well I say stiff ****.You know it is illegal,just DONT do it.Why put others in a life threatening position whilst you carry on a texting conversation,which no doubt can wait until you stop driving
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #81
Warrenk

It is a sad reflection about today's population that people believe that without their mobile phone it is just short of a disaster. I am one of those people that don't won't to be a statistic on the road as result of inattentive driver using a mobile phone, so with better detection and harsher the penalty the better. Qld has the right idea increasing fines to $1000 for anyone using a mobile phone. All they need to do as well is give them some of the same penalties that they give "hoon" drivers. Confiscation the phone for each offence with destruction after the 3rd offence.
Read an article in last week about what people fear. There was a tongue in cheek response that the youth of today biggest fear is a flat battery in their mobile phone.
Old 19-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #82
marty351

Why not just put use of phone into hoon laws. 28 days for first offence and so forth. At least they'll have a phone to call an uber or partner/friend instead of a missing persons report because they can't be contacted. And since most people only ever use a phone number once saving it to phone memory, how are they going to contact anyone they know?
It's not the phone that's dangerous, it's the driver and car combination.
Old 20-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #83
roKWiz
Cabover nut

10 demerit points this Christmas hols for using it.

Old 20-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #84
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Ten points! Not to mention the fine.

Would be interesting to see a sorted (by incident count) list of phone brands used by offenders.
Old 20-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #85
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I'm not arguing that there aren't other factors but alcohol levels are certainly one of those and one which we can police. Some States (albeit only SA and WA) agree with you and don't suspend for low level offences choosing to issue a TIN instead.

If NSW drivers think these changes are bad, wait until you catch up with Victoria which not only offers a 90 day immediate suspension for a low level offence (which is also only 0.05-0.69) but also mandates all offending drivers attend a drink driver behaviour change program; enforces a Zero BAC requirement for a minimum of 3 years and insists drivers enter the alcohol interlock program for at least 6 months after their suspension ends. Total cost for a < 0.69 BAC offence is thus $2,880 of which only $496 is the actual fine!
Yes and all those fines, licence suspensions and everything else you mention do not matter to or stop those who choose to reoffend again and again, unfortunately.
71cop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #86
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71cop View Post
Yes and all those fines, licence suspensions and everything else you mention do not matter to or stop those who choose to reoffend again and again, unfortunately.
I have lost count of the number of news reports of people involved in serious accidents in Victoria, driving while disqualified, suspended or not licenced.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #87
roKWiz
Cabover nut

10 demerit points I guess it doesn't make much difference to all the drivers who no longer have licences. I often wonder how many actually have one.

Old 20-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #88
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Maybe so but If you except a drivers licence from a gov. road authority you except the laws governing what they can do and how they enforce them.

Old 20-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #89
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
I think it's an invasion of privacy. What if a girl is not wearing her bra and the cameras get a bit of downblouse
She gets to be famous on the interweb when the pics are leaked.
Old 20-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #90
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: