Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #331
GTP-814
love the quad cams

Default Re: Ford strike back with police cars

how to take a hi end Caprice & make it look plain ugly
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #332
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Interesting, I was wondering when actual export numbers were going to emerge - now the question is what sort of publicity it will get in the Aust media!
http://www.caradvice.com.au/121973/c...n-first-month/

Quote:
Chevrolet Caprice PPV deliveries total 23 in first month
By Tim Beissmann | June 6th, 2011

The first 23 Australian-made Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicles were delivered to US police forces in May.

GM Holden’s Melanie Kerin acknowledged the first Caprice sales in the US marked a milestone for Holden, but insisted the modest May numbers were just the beginning.

“It’s an on-going process,” she said. “There is quite a lead-time on the boats, and then the vehicles go through the retrofit process in the States.

“We will gradually see the number increase.”

Ms Kerin said the vehicles delivered in May were produced at GM Holden’s Vehicle Operations plant in Elizabeth, South Australia, in late February. All 23 vehicles were finished in Caprice PPV ‘Detective’ specification, which is the unmarked police car designation.

She said a second fleet of vehicles – this time the Caprice PPV Patrol model – was shipped out of Australia around Easter (late April). Those vehicles are scheduled for delivery to police agencies in mid to late June.

Neither Holden nor Chevrolet will comment on the number of vehicles on boats or provide any information about order volume.

The Caprice PPV Patrol (codenamed 9C1) will be significantly more popular than the unmarked Detective variant (9C3). The Caprice is only available for law enforcement agencies to purchase, not the general public, which means anyone who recognises an unmarked Caprice will be able to identify it as a police car.

The Chevrolet Caprice is currently offered with only the 6.0-litre V8 engine. A V6-powered variant will go on sale in the US in the future, although Ms Kerin said she had no information about the timing of that vehicle at this stage.

US law enforcement agencies generally purchase between 65,000 to 70,000 new vehicles each year, making the market a highly lucrative one for exporters like Holden.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #333
BHDOGS
Banned

The Caprice is only available for law enforcement agencies to purchase, not the general public, which means anyone who recognises an unmarked Caprice will be able to identify it as a police car.

Would this not be a problem?
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #334
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Drive's article will soon claim the PPV is a roaring success and will soon be the only cop car the police force will buy.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #335
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I still find it hard to believe that the US will buy an "aussie" car over a true blue American....certainly not in great numbers.

Many of the press releases note that its "Australian", whether they find that to be a good or bad thing who knows...previous exports havent gone so well (for Ford aswell, IIRC the Capri was a flop).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #336
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I still find it hard to believe that the US will buy an "aussie" car over a true blue American....certainly not in great numbers.

Many of the press releases note that its "Australian", whether they find that to be a good or bad thing who knows...previous exports havent gone so well (for Ford aswell, IIRC the Capri was a flop).
That's because the Laser convertible was shˇte.

The Commodore (and this hurts to type) is actually a decent car, and should succeed, but there is no way that it will be financially viable.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #337
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
That's because the Laser convertible was shˇte.

The Commodore (and this hurts to type) is actually a decent car, and should succeed, but there is no way that it will be financially viable.
Yes it was pretty bad, I cannot recall an export program that has been successful, not in my 28 years on earth anyway (that I can remember).

NZ and SA dont really count.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #338
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Yes it was pretty bad, I cannot recall an export program that has been successful, not in my 28 years on earth anyway (that I can remember).

NZ and SA dont really count.
In that case, there have been none.

Ford is still exporting in trickles to RSA and NZ, but nothing of the scale of say, Toyota, where more than half of their production run is going overseas.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #339
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Actually the Capri sold fairly well in the US, at least until the MX5 arrived and killed it. Initial sales figures were quite good.

It leaked like a sieve though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #340
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

no matter which way you look at it, it's not the bonanza holden was hoping for after all the article says :
Neither Holden nor Chevrolet will comment on the number of vehicles on boats or provide any information about order volume
if it was a roaring success, there would be streamers & party poppers going off everywhere..
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #341
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's funny how Holden "leaked" the LA Police report and locally it was given the slant that it beat all comers when it plainly wasn't the case if you read the full report however now when vehicles are actually being shipped those "loose" lips suddenly seal up and no-one is giving out actual numbers sold.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #342
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

First shipment of Caprice Detective versions landed last month.......they sold 23 of them so far.....

Holden has a boat load of black and white Caprice PPV on the water but no word on how many...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 03:47 AM   #343
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

make your own orders at

www.gmfleet.com/police
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 07:00 AM   #344
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
make your own orders at

www.gmfleet.com/police
Ha ha Crown Victoria PI and Dodge Charger V8 PI are both $6,000 less
Old 08-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #345
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Given the high aussie $ i think that will hurt their plans a bit but these are awesome cars and much better than any American product out there, I also think it being the only RWD car gives it a big edge.

Ford oz should really make a LHD falcon, it would shock them over there how good it is.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 11:56 PM   #346
stang65
FPRJET

Wow $30K i thought they were getting them cheaper than that.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 01:26 AM   #347
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
I suspect that's why they're not selling.
On state purchasing plans, the V6 Charger is $18K, CV PI and Charger V8 are both approx $24K.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #348
Perko
Loving The Blown Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta
Given the high aussie $ i think that will hurt their plans a bit but these are awesome cars and much better than any American product out there, I also think it being the only RWD car gives it a big edge.

Ford oz should really make a LHD falcon, it would shock them over there how good it is.
Ford Oz already did. The FG's initial brief was to be made fore export. Some of the interior was supposedly designed so that it could be done fairly easily. However Dearborn in their infinite wisdom shut this idea down towards the end of development. US know how good our cars are. Ford US execs have driven them over there and were impressed especially with the XR6T. But Ford has a long history that only the US can make large RWD cars for the US. This is why the Falcon will never work over there. It has nothing to do with the car. It is a management issue. This is why I take my hat off to GM for laying down their pride and providing other options for their consumers based on merit. The Commodore is a decent car (not a good as the Falcon) that is better than the equivalent Yank tank. Good on GM for recognising it and Ford, wake up to yourselves!

Previous 2003 BA XR8 Ute Phantom
Ford Forum Build Thread

The Project 1991 EB XR8 Sedan Monza Red
Project Build Thread
Perko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #349
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta
Well that's debatable as Ford US's new PI has matched or bettered the Holden offering in most of the tests. Good on them if they manage to sell a few though.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #350
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65

Just imagine what price Holden are wholesaling them at, if they are going for US$30,000 with the aussie dollar at $1.07. $30,000 /1.07 = A$28037 - $1000 transport = A$27037 -2.5% import duty = $26361 (and probably even less). Sound completly unreasonable. Our governments cant afford to give our police forces the proper resources, and yet australian taxpayers are allowing Holden to give american police forces financial assistance.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #351
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Another trump card the Taurus PI has up its sleeve is that it has a 6cyl engine option (which is standard fitment unless they specify Ecoboost) which will be much more cost effective to run for cash-strapped Police departments in the US. A V6 version of the Caprice PPV isn't available yet.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #352
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just imagine what price Holden are wholesaling them at, if they are going for US$30,000 with the aussie dollar at $1.07. $30,000 /1.07 = A$28037 - $1000 transport = A$27037 -2.5% import duty = $26361 (and probably even less). Sound completly unreasonable. Our governments cant afford to give our police forces the proper resources, and yet australian taxpayers are allowing Holden to give american police forces financial assistance.

To give an idea of what they are selling for, roughly 27 grand a piece according to this article. Bloody cheap, you wonder how they make money on cars in the US.

Although with almost 40% of content from North America (engine, trans, drivetrain compenents), the strong Aussie dollar must make the V8 versions cheaper than the locally made V6 versions.

http://thegazette.com/2011/06/13/ced...-caprice-ppvs/

Quote:
Cedar Rapids Police Department will replace Crown Vics with Chevy Caprice PPVs
by Rick Smith :: 13 June 2011 | 4:33 pm

CEDAR RAPIDS — A Chevrolet bearing a former model name, the Caprice, will begin later this year to replace the Police Department’s much beloved Ford Crown Victoria patrol cars.

This week, the City Council will buy a first 10 Caprice PPVs — Police Patrol Vehicles — as the Police Department begins to say goodbye to its fleet of Crown Victorias, a model which Ford plans to stop manufacturing this year.

The goal is to have 72 Caprice PPVs on the street in six years, Dennis Hogan, the city’s fleet services manager, said Monday.

Last year, the department purchased what it thought would be its last 11 Crown Victorias, though police Capt. Steve O’Konek on Monday said the department still had a chance to make another, final purchase of Crowe Victorias this summer. Instead, the department opted to make a switch “to modernize our fleet as soon as possible,” he said.

O’Konek and Hogan said a city team, which included police commanders and police officers, spent time studying the three options for police vehicles — the Caprice PPV, the Dodge Charger and Ford’s new Police Interceptor. Hogan and representatives of the Police Department each attended a trade show to look at the options, though O’Konek noted that the new Ford vehicle was not available to drive.

O’Konek said a “pretty good consensus” of Police Department support led to the decision to buy the Caprice. The Caprice’s specifications met the Police Department’s needs, including adequate interior space, he said.

Hogan said the Caprice “really stood out for us” in terms of size, visibility and the ability to handle all the gear that the department puts into each of the police officer “mobile offices.”

He said the V-8 Caprices will provide a little better fuel economy and the same or “marginally better” performance than the V-8 Crown Victorias.

The total cost for 10 Caprices purchased through a state of Iowa bid from Karl Chevrolet, Ankeny, Iowa, is $272,168. The cars are expected to arrive in four to five months, Hogan said.

O’Konek said it costs the department an additional $20,000 or more to outfit a squad car with lights, computer, video camera, radar, cages and other items.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #353
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

at 28k American I would buy one for the wife.

Remembering that this in Landed in the states ... It means that the factory is getting less than 30% of what they would if sold here.

Either Holden is making a mint on local sales, or there is a heap of money lost on those sales !!
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #354
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
at 28k American I would buy one for the wife.

Remembering that this in Landed in the states ... It means that the factory is getting less than 30% of what they would if sold here.

Either Holden is making a mint on local sales, or there is a heap of money lost on those sales !!
Mate at 28K I would buy two. A lux spec for the Mrs and a povvo stripped out one for me with chaser rims and manual :P

Holden has got to be taking a burn on this. It's probably subsidised by Dee-troit though.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 16-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #355
ray38l

Realistically the ppv probably costs no more then $20k to build. People assume because the caprice costs over $60k in Australia that its an expensive car to build. Cars in Australia are priced high because the market is willing to pay. Holden have admitted that the higher up models are more profitable because they cost similar amounts to build compared to the povo pack. The ppv probably costs the same as an omega to build considering its stripped out.
You also have to take into account the money they would make off spare parts as well. I have seen how some American cops drive and i would guarantee they would make a good profit just off spare parts.

Last edited by ray38l; 16-06-2011 at 05:44 PM.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #356
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Needs steelies.

Old 16-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #357
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
Realistically the ppv probably costs no more then $20k to build. People assume because the caprice costs over $60k in Australia that its an expensive car to build. Cars in Australia are priced high because the market is willing to pay. Holden have admitted that the higher up models are more profitable because they cost similar amounts to build compared to the povo pack. The ppv probably costs the same as an omega to build considering its stripped out.
You also have to take into account the money they would make off spare parts as well. I have seen how some American cops drive and i would guarantee they would make a good profit just off spare parts.

I dont think that would be true. The G8 was being sold in the US (and being sold for low to mid 30's). This was at a time when the australian dollar was alot less than it is now, and also taking into account the Holden lost $200 million on the G8. If a G8 selling in US for $34000 (A$42000 at A$0.80 to US$1) was bleeding money, a caprice selling for $30,000 (A$28301 at A$1.06 to US$1) is almost suicidal.

I cant see how the huge losses previous racked up by GM worldwide or Holden, and even the current 15% drop in GM's share price since relisting, can be argued that they make "good profits". They have yet to master the art of making alot of cars, and making alot of money.
Old 17-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #358
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I dont think that would be true. The G8 was being sold in the US (and being sold for low to mid 30's). This was at a time when the australian dollar was alot less than it is now, and also taking into account the Holden lost $200 million on the G8. If a G8 selling in US for $34000 (A$42000 at A$0.80 to US$1) was bleeding money, a caprice selling for $30,000 (A$28301 at A$1.06 to US$1) is almost suicidal.

I cant see how the huge losses previous racked up by GM worldwide or Holden, and even the current 15% drop in GM's share price since relisting, can be argued that they make "good profits". They have yet to master the art of making alot of cars, and making alot of money.
In the US, you can get a 370Z for about 30 grand, where here it is around 70... is Nissan suicidal?

Also with the Caprice PPV engine and trans (the most expensive parts of a car) come from America, so the strong dollar helps Holden. Also most components bought from Asia like South Korea, Thailand, etc are bought in US dollars... again the strong Aussie helps Holden. Plus there are the licensing repatriations in US dollars for the Zeta platform. I suspect the strong Australian dollar isnt hurting Holden in exports as much as people think.

And think of the way these cars are sold. Unlike retail cars, Holden doesnt need to supply 5 or 6 cars per each one of the 2000 Chevy dealerships in different colours, trims and options. Also they dont need to run very expensive TV, radio and internet ads to market cars. Instead they have a few demo cars which are rotated to Police trade shows and drive days. They also only build what is ordered, so no unsold stock sitting in holding yards, depots and dealers. And because departments buy batches of cars, the dealers can apportion smaller profit margins over 10 to 20 cars, rather than have to make enough money on each retail car they sell.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #359
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Those G8 were $29,900 +ORC and had close to $4,000 cash incentives to shif them.
Yes, even at $25,000, dealers had to work hard to shift them and the reason why Holden lost so much....
GMNA are totally inept at selling specialty cars, they cannot market worth a damned
and sell pearls for peanuts....
Old 18-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #360
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Some info.

Quote:
Order guides were just published for the 2013 Police Intercepotr (and Utility).

Highlights.

AWD Drivetrain – Standard (FWD listed as optional)
Ecoboost 148 MPH top speed (with 131 limiter available as an option)
3.5L listed as 280 Horsepower @ 6250
Ecoboost listed as 365 Horsepower @ 5500
3.7L listed as 300 Horsepower @ 6250 (utility only)

I won't go into pricing as Police pricing is irrelavant as a price since Ford (and all other makers) give discounts to different agencys making MSRP on the vehicle impossible to compare, but option pricing is relavant so I'll list that. Pricing is in dealer cost since thats what we use when bidding police interceptors.

AWD is $1000 more than FWD so I think you'll see mostly AWD units.

Utility is $1839 more than sedan (but could be irrelvant as they could have different price concessions being different body types, for example an F-350 gets more discount than a F-250 despite being basically the same truck)

EcoBoost $2745

Ready for the road package $2999 (lights sirens, etc)

Rear view camera $202

SYNC Basic $248

remapable steering wheel switches $126

Drivers balistic door panel $1302

Driver and passenger balistic door $2600

BLIS blind spot system $399

reverse sensing $248

Ford is also offering maintence as an option on the cars, 75,000, 100,000, 125,000 or 150,000 miles with 3,000 or 5,000 mile intervols, price seems average compared to regular oil changes, but would be a big deal to many as it would eliminate this from future budget expenses being pre-paid.
Quote:
Police Duty Durability is engineered to the level of the CVPI.

5 year/100,000 mile PowerTrain Extended Service Plan (zero deductible) will be provided on ALL 2013MY Police Interceptors, Sedans and Utility, for no additional cost.

Timeline

Order Banks Open: June 15, 2011
Job 1 Build: December 2011
Plant Release: First Quarter 2012