Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #1
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford's 2019 7.3L pushrod V8

This was mentioned in another thread, so I had a dig. Apologies if there was already a thread on it.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...details-specs/

First response, was "the madmen, don't they know we live in a time of coming electric cars and how dare they?!"

But it was explained as such:

"In vehicles with 14,000-plus-pound GVWRs—like the Ford Super Duty—Beltramo told us its critical for an engine to operate at peak power with an optimal air-fuel ratio (stoichiometric combustion). From there, Ford worked backwards.

"We built a map of where an engine, can run stoichiometric air-fuel without a bunch of spark retard," Beltramo said. "That led us to a torque-per-liter value and a power-per-liter value, [which] knowing that, boxed us to 7.3 liters."

For fuel efficiency's sake, Ford engineers determined they wanted the engine to generate peak power at what Beltramo considers "relatively low" RPM. "That's what led us to a pushrod two-valve. It really is the optimum solution for the over 14,000-pound [segment]." "

Nice - creating the engine using deductive logic for who requires it, how they use it, and how to optimise it. Nicer still they ended up with a massive petrol V8!
Old 01-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford's 2019 7.3L pushrod V8

I know motorhome enthusiasts are excited about the new F59 chassis that this engine is being used in. The current 6.8 V10 petrol is one of the most popular engines in motorbikes in the US. This should be faster, more efficient and quieter
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Bigger is better when pulling weight...who'd have thunk.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2020, 08:07 PM   #4
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've since learned that it is a smaller size than what it's replacing, is built for durability and inexpensive maintenance; is made to be able to be rebuilt; and is built in Windsor, Ontario. That's some really happy news! Sounds very old school and utilitarian, with modern improvements built in.

Here's an in-depth view of it done by hotrod.com:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/insi...3l-pushrod-v8/
Old 01-01-2020, 08:28 PM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
As Ramey stated, the 7.3L utilizes an iron block featuring four-bolt main caps with cross bolts in each main, and the block is fully skirted, which adds rigidity. Bore and stroke comes in at 4.22-inches x 3.976-inches, respectively, to produce 445 cubic inches of displacement.
I've learned that the bore spacing is 117mm (4.63") which is 2mm wider than the 6.2 Boss
Deck height is said to be 9.77" which is also higher than the 6.2 Boss (9.4")
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2020, 09:43 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I think you suffered autocorrect:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
...The current 6.8 V10 petrol is one of the most popular engines in motorbikes in the US.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #7
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
I've since learned that it is a smaller size than what it's replacing, is built for durability and inexpensive maintenance; is made to be able to be rebuilt; and is built in Windsor, Ontario. That's some really happy news! Sounds very old school and utilitarian, with modern improvements built in.

Here's an in-depth view of it done by hotrod.com:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/insi...3l-pushrod-v8/
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
I've learned that the bore spacing is 117mm (4.63") which is 2mm wider than the 6.2 Boss
Deck height is said to be 9.77" which is also higher than the 6.2 Boss (9.4")
ive learnt ill have to rethink my project and how to fit one of these 7.3's in to the engine bay

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2020, 11:49 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
ive learnt ill have to rethink my project and how to fit one of these 7.3's in to the engine bay
If it fits in a foxbody, it will fit a falcon. It’s much narrower than a modular/coyote.

The front mounted tb is kinda high looking and would most likely need a reverse cowl bonnet though. Or a hole cut in it for clearance.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2020, 03:48 AM   #9
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I know motorhome enthusiasts are excited about the new F59 chassis that this engine is being used in. The current 6.8 V10 petrol is one of the most popular engines in motorbikes in the US. This should be faster, more efficient and quieter
F53 is the motorhome chassis, F59 is for commercial like bread vans and such. I just picked up a 1996 Fleetwood Bounder that sits on a F53 with the a 240hp/410lb-ft (179kw/555Nm) 460 V8 hooked to the E40D (for only $9000 mins you). So a lot less power back then, yet it can still do 80mph on the freeway. Even the steep incline between Salt Lake City and Park City on the I-80, the slowest it drops down to is about 50mph. I know its biggest let down is the gearing in the 4 speed. So just putting a 6 or 10 speed behind that, it would be a massive improvement.

These big blocks have so much power and torque down low to move big loads with authority, but we are used to comparing engines in terms of peak horsepower, we often think they are underpowered. I rented a UHaul F650 with the V10 to move last year, and I had no issues maintaining 75mph (its governed limit), even though it was fully loaded with all our crap, while pulling our Sonata behind it. I have fallen in love with big blocks so much, I picked up a 2001 GMC Sierra with the 8.1 Vortec V8 with the 5 speed Allison. They seem to make for a better daily driver than the big diesels.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2020, 10:11 AM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It's kinda like a modern take on the FE engine but with a lower deck height
and I can imagine that the 7.3 will fit into most Mustangs and Falcons if it
has a low profile manifold.

This engine has so much potential in terms of re-powering older vehicles,
who would have thought that Ford would produce a 21st century big block.
6 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2020, 10:24 AM   #11
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every now and then they come out and surprise you with just how great a motor company they are. 445 Windsor... haha!

All we need now is for the head of Ferrari to insult the head of Ford and these babys will take out Lemans...
Old 02-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Every now and then they come out and surprise you with just how great a motor company they are. 445 Windsor... haha!

All we need now is for the head of Ferrari to insult the head of Ford and these babys will take out Lemans...
Just tell Bill Ford he's not Henry Ford, he's not even Henry Ford the second.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #13
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ouch! Them's fighting words!

I was always a big Henry fan, really liked how Henry Ford II was played in the movie as well.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
It's kinda like a modern take on the FE engine but with a lower deck height
and I can imagine that the 7.3 will fit into most Mustangs and Falcons if it
has a low profile manifold.

This engine has so much potential in terms of re-powering older vehicles,
who would have thought that Ford would produce a 21st century big block.
I’m sure i heard somewhere that ford performance were working on a street performance version crate motor.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #15
DMXR6T

My understanding that this motor has been designed for heavy duty, low rpm work - trucks, etc., and therefore will probably have large diameter bearings to handle the load. Large diameter bearings are not good for high revs due to the higher surface speed. Probably many other design features that will make this engine unsuitable for performance applications.
DMXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMXR6T View Post
My understanding that this motor has been designed for heavy duty, low rpm work - trucks, etc., and therefore will probably have large diameter bearings to handle the load. Large diameter bearings are not good for high revs due to the higher surface speed. Probably many other design features that will make this engine unsuitable for performance applications.
Sounds like a good candidate for a Borg Warner EFR 9180 hanging off the side of it - 20 PSI at 2500 RPM
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #17
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How heavy is the engine?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I’m sure i heard somewhere that ford performance were working on a street performance version crate motor.
They are, with just a tune and the long ram intake they got close to 500 hp. The with cam change low profile intake manifold projection is close to 600 hp.

For a lot of people that will make more sense to just get a 7.3 and skip the Mods and Coyotes.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2020, 03:55 PM   #19
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nice - creating the engine using deductive logic for who requires it, how they use it, and how to optimise it.

Quote:
But it was explained as such:
"In vehicles with 14,000-plus-pound GVWRs—like the Ford Super Duty—Beltramo told us its critical for an engine to operate at peak power with an optimal air-fuel ratio (stoichiometric combustion). From there, Ford worked backwards.
"We built a map of where an engine, can run stoichiometric air-fuel without a bunch of spark retard," Beltramo said. "That led us to a torque-per-liter value and a power-per-liter value, [which] knowing that, boxed us to 7.3 liters."
For fuel efficiency's sake, Ford engineers determined they wanted the engine to generate peak power at what Beltramo considers "relatively low" RPM. "That's what led us to a pushrod two-valve. It really is the optimum solution for the over 14,000-pound [segment]."
Translation = "CAFE laws don't apply so suck on this Hippies"
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2020, 04:24 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
They are, with just a tune and the long ram intake they got close to 500 hp. The with cam change low profile intake manifold projection is close to 600 hp.

For a lot of people that will make more sense to just get a 7.3 and skip the Mods and Coyotes.
Sounds like it's a great time to have an oldskool Ford project on the go.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2020, 04:25 PM   #21
nstg8a

Quote:

I know yanks like their bikes to handle like boats but a 6.8 v10 would be ludicrous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2020, 04:28 PM   #22
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Sounds like it's a great time to have an oldskool Ford project on the go.
But its a low revving truck engine.
Sounds like putting a 466 Louisville gasser in your car.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Not at all, quite the opposite in fact. Peak power comes at 5500.

It’s actually physically smaller than a 429, a bit like a low deck FE. The project lead engineer was a devout drag racer who knew how to create an engine with a soul.

So yeah, nothing like a 534 Super Duty gasoline engine.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2020, 10:52 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Not at all, quite the opposite in fact. Peak power comes at 5500.

It’s actually physically smaller than a 429, a bit like a low deck FE. The project lead engineer was a devout drag racer who knew how to create an engine with a soul.

So yeah, nothing like a 534 Super Duty gasoline engine.
Variable cam timing helps in this regard. Will still have a decent top end to go along with the strong low down torque. Torque curve should look like ayres rock. Long and flat.

The beauty of building it for strength means it will handle reasonable rpm cause it will have a strong crank and rods. Plus it has forged pistons.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:17 AM   #25
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I found the weight, apparently it's not much heavier than the 6.2. If so it's around 265kg, or a little heavier than the old 5.4 we had in the Falcon.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2020, 07:35 AM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Could be worse, the 304 in my Caprice, she's all in with peak power at 4200 RPM, seems this 7.3L goes to 5500 out the box
Old 03-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #27
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very flat torque curve

https://images.app.goo.gl/kSrHA1akhZ7w9Gt46

Last edited by chevypower; 03-01-2020 at 10:27 AM.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #28
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that's pretty crazy Franco, for eg the Sprint Windsor motor from the same era as your 304 has peak torque at 4000 and peak power at 5000 with a 5500 redline. Doesn't sound like much, but compared to driving any of the low-down torque 165kw Windsors fitted to the Fairmont, S-XR8 of that era, even through to AU1 XR8s - the Sprint motor feels like a completely different animal. Total beast over 3000 revs when it wakes up through to redline. All from the same block and cylinder dimensions. People will get outrageous with this one, give it time.

(Actually I'd like to see an EB with the 7.3 and some performance mods...)
Old 03-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #29
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like the 7.3 is only slightly bigger than the GM LS, modders are gonna love that.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Looks like that graph goes to 6000 rpm. It’s definately not an low rpm slugger. Holds that torque well across the rev range.
2 users like this post: