Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-02-2024, 07:29 PM   #31
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 'Electronic safety assistance actually makes driving more dangerous' - your thoughts?

Sounds very repetitive & a drag.
Old 17-02-2024, 08:05 PM   #32
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 'Electronic safety assistance actually makes driving more dangerous' - your thoughts?

A guy at work has a Mercedes with lane assistance.
He was saying, that lane assistance uses the rear brakes and the lane assistance wears the rear brakes out more quickly than the front.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2024, 08:42 PM   #33
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It has been downhill ever since they introduced the Automatic Transmission.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2024, 10:01 PM   #34
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I'll just weigh in here that I love the systems on the Teslas. They're not perfect but once you know how they work and under what circumstances to use them, they're great.

Few things that need work for our roads (not limited to Tesla here) is lane Departure correction. Driving trying to avoid a dead roo, the car swerved back into the lane thinking it needed to correct the car. Could still overrule it but it was not expected behaviour. I turn it off on all my cars when driving on highways now.

Problem is the car turns it on again every restart because that is the rules.

ABS is fantastic. I never understand people saying they can out perform ABS which isn't designed to reduce stopping distances anyway. It's designed so you can still turn and control the vehicle rather than going into a skid. It also only turns on when you over brake for the surface. You can avoid triggering ABS but not out brake it because that's not its job.

Traction control and stability control are fantastic driving aids. As is power steering, vacuum assisted brakes... More good than bad out there

Last edited by kypez; 17-02-2024 at 10:16 PM.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2024, 10:13 PM   #35
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
This begs the question: say you turn off the ones you don't like (every time...) and are in an accident, what might the response of the insurance company be?
If the car maker allows these options to be turned off, then the insurance company can do nothing if you are involved in accident, as it is not a mandatory requirement.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2024, 11:30 PM   #36
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Classic example of the value of lane control. Dash Cam of a driver who falls asleep at wheel - Menangle Park NSW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Pp...wnersAustralia
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-02-2024, 11:32 PM   #37
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Classic example of the value of lane control. Dash Cam of a driver who falls asleep at wheel - Menangle Park NSW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Pp...wnersAustralia
Good driving by the DC driver to get out of the way
Old 18-02-2024, 12:15 AM   #38
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
If the car maker allows these options to be turned off, then the insurance company can do nothing if you are involved in accident, as it is not a mandatory requirement.

Cheers.
as they are now part of the ANCAP/NCAP score, does that mean they can't be turned off permanently? ANCAP isn't a legal thing, but I doubt any insurer would look favorably if you did inhibit them.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2024, 10:01 AM   #39
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
as they are now part of the ANCAP/NCAP score, does that mean they can't be turned off permanently? ANCAP isn't a legal thing, but I doubt any insurer would look favorably if you did inhibit them.
Correct. In an effort to reduce "human error" ANCAP was written up so:

the system needs to be default ON at the start of every journey and deactivation of the system should not be possible with a momentary single push on a button.

Personally, in the real world, with such increased complexity of systems, there are now critical times when driving work load actually increases with focus shifting inside the car, not out. Single button is quick. Multiple touch screens/warning lights/beeps not so much.

Last edited by 383hq; 18-02-2024 at 10:20 AM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2024, 02:54 PM   #40
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
God did that, its called a neck. Then humans worked out reflections, that evolved into the invention of mirrors, then some genius automotive engineer thought it was a good idea to integrate them into automobiles. But its 2024......
So, you're saying you are one of those that only use the mirror to pull out ?

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2024, 03:23 PM   #41
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
So, you're saying you are one of those that only use the mirror to pull out ?
Nah, i do both checks.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2024, 04:34 PM   #42
Electrolyte Burns

Haven't driven a vehicle with any of the mentioned assistance aids. Doesn't sound like I want to either.
Electrolyte Burns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2024, 10:05 PM   #43
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

For anyone judging all these systems from cars that are 2, 3, 4 years old or longer, you may need to reconsider your views.
These systems are constantly being refined, improved and recalibrated.
Todays Ford Ranger for example is miles ahead of a 2022 Ranger despite them being identical cars on paper. Todays lane keep system is far more subtle and less intrusive. You no longer feel like you are fighting it.
I used to hate all these systems but now tend to just leave them on as I now believe they do more good that harm.
There are exceptions and all are not created equal. Some other brands autonomous emergency braking does have a habit of jamming the brakes on at 100km/h because a butterfly flapped it’s wings 4 post codes away or a leaf blew across the road. But even that seems to be improving.

The one place I would turn off the lane keep system is a windy country road. Particularly if I’m in the mood for some more spirited driving.

I’d generally never turn off stability control or traction control as I’m too old for burnouts. And todays systems are very good, particularly on high performance cars as they tend to give you a certain amount of slip or sideways action, and intervention is now pretty smooth unless things are getting pretty ugly.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2024, 10:11 PM   #44
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
A guy at work has a Mercedes with lane assistance.
He was saying, that lane assistance uses the rear brakes and the lane assistance wears the rear brakes out more quickly than the front.

I’d bet real money that is not the case. The lane assist would function through the electric power steering.

It is possible that some functions of the stability control or traction control use individual brakes to manipulate the attitude of the car to either initiate or eliminate a slide. This is common in some sports cars that have a sport or drift setting in the stability control.
I’m not aware of any cars using brakes for lane keeping duty.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2024, 10:12 PM   #45
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I’d bet real money that is not the case. The lane assist would function through the electric power steering.

It is possible that some functions of the stability control or traction control use individual brakes to manipulate the attitude of the car to either initiate or eliminate a slide. This is common in some sports cars that have a sport or drift setting in the stability control.
But his mate said so!

You're 100% spot on btw
Old 19-02-2024, 04:21 PM   #46
jgmdat

Quote:

My wifes AMG 45s slows the car as part of the lane keeping function, it is actually annoying.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2024, 05:09 PM   #47
Toiler
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

From a risk of something going wrong point of view (electric gremlins) - what can cause the most damage - steering or rear brakes? IMO rear brakes a lot safer way to do it.
Old 19-02-2024, 05:12 PM   #48
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiler View Post
From a risk of something going wrong point of view (electric gremlins) - what can cause the most damage - steering or rear brakes? IMO rear brakes a lot safer way to do it.
Braking the rear brakes to hold it in lane makes no sense. Stability control slide to keeping in a lane are two very different events.
Old 19-02-2024, 05:15 PM   #49
Toiler
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Braking the rear brakes to hold it in lane makes no sense. Stability control slide to keeping in a lane are two very different events.
You are thinking like an engineer . . think like a car company lawyer looking at potential liability :-)
Old 19-02-2024, 05:19 PM   #50
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiler View Post
You are thinking like an engineer . . think like a car company lawyer looking at potential liability :-)
On the Everest and Tesla, it definitely turns the steering. On our old Mercedes, it turned the steering too to keep it in its lane.

The rear brakes activated if you slid out the rear (like on track or low friction surfaces).
Old 19-02-2024, 09:00 PM   #51
minheim

2018 escape titanium with tech pack here. I really appreciate the adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, auto dipping high beam, and auto wipers. Lane keeping works fine enough for me. I would love my daughter's next car to have these features. I haven't made any use of the auto parking but I guess I will one day but it is not on my must have list as the rear camera and sensors provide enough help
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2024, 09:36 PM   #52
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

auto park is a bit of fun, but try it first when nobody is around
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2024, 09:44 PM   #53
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I agree as I know I can take more liberties with these safety devices.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2024, 08:30 PM   #54
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was the original post due the autonomous vehicle burnt sacrifice in SF?
I'm sure they're good most of the time...

https://youtu.be/88lK8L_RvpA?si=AV5UO8rVLUs-F--j
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2024, 08:34 PM   #55
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I agree as I know I can take more liberties with these safety devices.
Agree… Free hands to hold your stubby and text
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2024, 10:08 PM   #56
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

QUOTE FUNCTION NOT WORKING AGAIN

No and no Charliewool.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto

Last edited by Syndrome; 20-02-2024 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Remove double line spaces
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2024, 03:57 PM   #57
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Journo cops a prang via brake assist:

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...ssion-with-new
Old 25-03-2024, 08:32 PM   #58
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
QUOTE FUNCTION NOT WORKING AGAIN

No and no Charliewool.

You're right, up until now I couldn't quote.

Anyway, these electronic aids generate a false sense of security and cause the driver to abrogate any personal responsibility and defensive driving skills they may have. It turns already shit drivers into rolling hazards.
fatgas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2024, 08:40 PM   #59
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgas View Post
You're right, up until now I couldn't quote.

Anyway, these electronic aids generate a false sense of security and cause the driver to abrogate any personal responsibility and defensive driving skills they may have. It turns already shit drivers into rolling hazards.
Works a treat with flog drivers on the road, got someone good by making their AEB jam on the freeway with an abrupt no indicator lane change on purpose

The thing got on the picks so hard, works mint on people driving like flogs, use their own car against them.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2024, 08:46 PM   #60
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be careful with that
Some will stand on quick
My Skoda saved my bacon with aeb when an l plater changed into my lane heading for my bonnet on the freeway
The aeb on my Puma sometimes prefers to just flash a pre collision alert rather than slam the brakes on most of the time in which case you might get a broken spine trying that manouevre
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post