Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-12-2022, 09:43 PM   #1891
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Dunno how you will go for discount if you POOP in the mower shops. Lol

Haha I just re checked that post lol
Bloody typos - classic !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-12-2022, 09:50 PM   #1892
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

DFB thanks for the updates !
Promise I won’t go a chingga one
I like all the victa links - maybe should go that self propelled one even though I’ve mentioned having to drag it backwards up 3 different step sections.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:16 PM   #1893
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
DFB thanks for the updates !
Promise I won’t go a chingga one
I like all the victa links - maybe should go that self propelled one even though I’ve mentioned having to drag it backwards up 3 different step sections.

The self-propel only adds about 3 kg of weight to the mower -

Corvette 400 - 34kg
Corvette 400 SP - 36kg

Corvette 300 - 32kg

Mustang 725 - 32kg
Mustang 850 - 34kg

Your current Victa would be about 28kg.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2022, 10:34 PM   #1894
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I'm actually contemplating relinquishing my Honda buffalo and whipper snipper/blower in favour for Milwaukee battery powered ones, simply because I have Milwaukee power tools already and hedge trimmers with a range of 12amp Lith Ion (x2) and 3 amp ones.

I only have a small 50sqm lawn area and although I love the Honda 4 stroke gear I just believe that in my situation when I already have the batteries and some garden equipment already in the arsenal, I like the idea of battery and ease.
of course there is up's and down's to each, but no more storing fuel that can go off, no more service items every year like plugs/filters/oil etc.
Not to mention the quietness of electric.

I'm looking into the Milwaukee quick loc system, the power head with edger/hedge trimmer/extension pole and that's all I'd need, oh and if I get really impressed with that then latter down the track maybe their lawn mower.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2022, 11:04 AM   #1895
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It’s highly weird to me that nobody has developed a “fits all” modular battery system.
I've seen recently (But Can't remember Where) someone selling a range of Adapters to use different Brand Batteries on different Brand Machines..

Sounds like a Good Idea to Me..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2022, 11:23 AM   #1896
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

I recently bought this one for one of the kids that recently moved out.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-36...r-kit_p0344062

I was looking for a lawn mower about 12 months ago and what I noticed when looking for the above one was how far electric mowers have come in just 12 months.

On a side note...

They rang me after the first time they used it complaining about how the catcher was not licking up the grass. Yep, they had left the mulcher plug in it.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2022, 11:25 AM   #1897
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Aargh! Never mind the typo, it’s the lack of practical diagnostic skills that would get you.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2022, 11:35 AM   #1898
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Aargh! Never mind the typo, it’s the lack of practical diagnostic skills that would get you.
No, it was licking up the grass.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2022, 02:30 PM   #1899
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

That cloth or whatever material catcher isn't gonna last for me.
Old 06-12-2022, 03:46 PM   #1900
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I recently bought this one for one of the kids that recently moved out.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-36...r-kit_p0344062

I was looking for a lawn mower about 12 months ago and what I noticed when looking for the above one was how far electric mowers have come in just 12 months.

On a side note...

They rang me after the first time they used it complaining about how the catcher was not licking up the grass. Yep, they had left the mulcher plug in it.
Tis mine!! Cracker of a mower!!
Old 06-12-2022, 05:48 PM   #1901
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
That cloth or whatever material catcher isn't gonna last for me.
I have had two mowers with cloth/fabric catchers and they haven't been too bad, although they can be a potential replacement item down the track. They are actually easier to empty.

Mustang GT

Old 06-12-2022, 06:18 PM   #1902
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Frustrating Day!

I put my Rover lawn mower in for a pull rope repair and a check over the axle bushings 3 weeks ago. I got sent a text message the my "repair" was ready for collection on Friday last week.

When I went in to collect it today I was told it was determined as "uneconomical" to repair. Cue confused expression on my face. Surely a piece of rope is not that expensive? It was explained that to properly replace the axle bushings that the engine had to be removed and it wasn't worth it considering the age of the machine. I asked had they at least replaced the cord, only to be told no. I was then charged $40 for an inspection fee.

It took the guy far too long to go out back and retrieve my supposed worn-out machine. When he brought it back out, the cord actually HAD been replaced, but the front axle was hanging loose. I was rather ****.d off by this stage and just wanted to get out of there.

Well, it turns out the hardware used to mount the front axle are NLA from Rover and are not made by the aftermarket, despite an extensive internet search. Because the Pro-Cut is different to the other Rover models, these parts are unique to this model. So now I have a fully functioning self-propelled lawn mower sitting completely useless because the front axle is not attached to the still fine deck.

https://www.outdoorking.com/lawn-mow...ng-kit-a03516k

The shop that attempted this repair has recently changed hands. Where previously, despite the grumpy husband and wife owners, they always did their best to get professional customer machines back online ASAP, this lot are in over their heads. The shop is a mess, and the outdoor display area is littered with shipping crates and old decommissioned machines.

I probably should have gone back and asked for the mounting hardware that they decided to pillage from my mower, but I'm already feeling like an idiot for even paying them to have my mower for three weeks and returning it in worse condition than it was when I left it there.

If you have one of these clips or know where to send me, I would be most grateful. Or perhaps I should go in there and burn the place to the ground!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender
Re buying off Gumtree, if they have the part surely someone can grab it and send up if they won’t. But seeing it’s a mower shop I’d think they could invoice, you pay over the phone or by direct deposit and they post? Still the same proprietors as 2015 and their few bad reviews are the usual combination of fruitcakes and fakes.

(Compare with the review history here! https://maps.app.goo.gl/4qaB9nFCj6tgf9bQ7 )
I reached out to the Gumtree seller yesterday and received an email this morning to say that they have these parts in stock. I have organized for them to send me an invoice with shipping cost included. The store owner sympathised with my desire to have this machine repaired.

On another note, I went back to the mower shop and managed to talk to the older mechanic who worked for the company before changed hands. I explained what had happened and is it possible that I could at least have these parts back because they are now NLA.

I ended up being handed over to the guy who did the work, who told me that the mower was missing those parts when I dropped it in. That is a flat out lie because it's very easy to know when an axle is not secured to the deck. He said that because there was an (admittedly small) amount of wear in the deck, that it was determined not viable or economical to fix. I'm guessing that the mounting hardware was thrown in the bin at this point. Telling me it was missing when it came in was them covering their mistake.

Ideally, they should have rung me before saying the unit was ready to pick up, explaining my options rather than just making the decision for me. I would have told them to put it back together, that it's not about the cost because this mower is not readily replaceable. I guess they took the gamble that I would then buy a new mower from them.

Well, I won't be buying a mower from them, or have any of my tools there again. Under the previous ownership, I bought 8 lawn mowers from this business and had machines in for repair countless times. My business go's elsewhere now.
Mustang GT

Old 06-12-2022, 06:25 PM   #1903
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Hopefully fixed soon…
Old 07-12-2022, 09:01 PM   #1904
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The parts for my Rover have been paid for and should be on the way soon. Hopefully these are easy enough to fit, although I have a feeling that I will be needing some appropriate screws, which should be relatively easy to find.
Mustang GT

Old 07-12-2022, 09:08 PM   #1905
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Yikes!!

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2022, 09:13 PM   #1906
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yikes!!

Good to see a machine that doesn’t shy away from a bit of a challenge.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2022, 09:17 PM   #1907
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Good to see a machine that doesn’t shy away from a bit of a challenge.
You called?
Old 07-12-2022, 11:50 PM   #1908
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Ha ha, I 'worked' one of mine very similar. Goes good! I also have am 'economy' one that saves some fuel on the easy big paddocks.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2022, 08:35 PM   #1909
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I have one of these down the back sitting idle. These had the full-crank engine compared to the simpler and cheaper to make PowerTorque engines that were introduced in the early 80's.

I'm sort of surprised he got it running in that video, as Victa 2-Strokes will usually flood if not fired on the second or third pull, like this..........

But when they are running, they are unstoppable................

Mustang GT

Old 09-12-2022, 05:31 PM   #1910
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

DFB I was in Bunnings earlier getting some other items and noticed they have these at around $800…..
Just a passing interest I thought to take the pics and see what your opinion is ?

Old 09-12-2022, 06:47 PM   #1911
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
DFB I was in Bunnings earlier getting some other items and noticed they have these at around $800…..
Just a passing interest I thought to take the pics and see what your opinion is ?

Prydey bought one of those earlier this year -

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...&postcount=579

Firstly, it's encouraging to see a full width chute, the bar blade less so. I think Rob had some minor issue with the clippings getting caught on the high ramp up to the catcher, not sure if that was just on thick, wet clover though.
Mustang GT

Old 09-12-2022, 08:44 PM   #1912
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

yes agreed I didn't like the bar blade, the chute is huge having taken the catcher off to suss out.
I check his comments thanks.
Old 10-12-2022, 02:06 PM   #1913
.:4:.
Kicking back

Been liking the cooler start to summer. Still on the winter mowing schedule as my grass isnt going nuts yet like it normally does at this time of year. Some weeds started to pop up so i just did a quick run over those parts with my whipper snipper. The more i use that thing, the more i like it. Yeah its heavy, but it more then makes up for that with its power. The weight is captain obvious stuff. Its a 51cc. In that same veign its starter cord is really stiff. However, it starts first pull if you give it a solid go, and as its got a clutch in it, no need to turn it off as the spool stops at idle. The stock spool was an absolute rubbish plastic thing with a plastic bump knob that took 2.4mm line. Easy solution was an aftermarket spool with a metal bump knob that takes 3mm line. So less line usage. Other thing i apreciate which is very much personal prefference, previously ive only had bent shaft snippers, this is a straight shaft and i much prefer it. Also compared to the other ones ive had, larger spool takes more line, larger guard so more line thrown out. Yes it is an ozito so if anything machanical goes wrong its a throw away. But it is a multi tool so also has a pole saw, hedger, slasher blade and i bought an edger for it. Only used the whipper snipper, edger and pole saw attachments. Shame they were a limited run promotional tool as for $170 (before the non crap spool and edger) its done its fare share of work. To be fair, when i bought it, the mindset was mainly 1 minor job i wanted a polesaw for, whipper snipper is a bonus even though i had a 25cc one that worked, but $170, if it dies after 4 uses you get what you pay for. Turns out my low expectations were wrong. Its been a solid unit for the 2 years ive had it. Bar the crappy stock spool, ozito proved me wrong.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2022, 08:49 PM   #1914
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

This video taught me something tonight.............

Starting off with a usual safety precaution before starting work, from about the 1min mark, the presenter shows how the engine can start and run with the spark plug boot removed. I have always simply pulled the HT lead, but will be pulling the plug from now on!
Mustang GT

Old 13-12-2022, 04:41 PM   #1915
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

In a technical sense, I'm a qualified Horticulturalist. But the nature of the industry means I need to be proficient in a range of trades, even if my resume doesn't necessarily say so. Plumbing and small engine repair are two that come to mind. At the nursery, I also need to be able to sell shoes, sell pumps and gift wrap. Jack of all trades.

I mention this because today I did the job that apparently was not worth doing from the "professionals".

These NLA Rover axle mounting clips arrived today and I mustered up enough energy to fit them.

If you look at the design of these parts, there is NO WAY that these fell off in the field as was insinuated. (PRO TIP: Never, ever lie to me, I can spot it from a mile away!) The S-bolt piece is hooked into the chassis and then passing through the plate secured with a nylock nut.

And yes, there is some wear in the chassis. I don't see how removing the engine was going to be needed to repair this. Correct me if I am wrong, but you can't weld aluminum.

I do need to replace the axle bushings, which I have ordered along with a press in chassis repair clip. Frankly, all I want to do with this machine is to keep it mobile. I can monitor the condition of the bushes now that I know they are compromised and replace them as needed.

See, this is the difference between a commercial customer and a homeowner customer, the pro will understand this sort of thing. Again, I should have been phoned about this repair and consulted not just fobbed off and had the decision made for me. Then lied to about missing parts. Nine times out of ten, they would probably have to defend the repair costs to customers, for me, it's a working machine that earns a living, just fix the thing and let me pay for it!

I'm now waiting for the fresh bushings, a new spark plug and an air filter. Because these Rover's have a snorkel pre-filter, the one at the engine is a secondary filter, in this case it's actually the original filter from 2014! With all of that done, the Rover will continue to be my backup and thick duty mower.

I was also sent a text message yesterday by the shop to say my Mulchmaster is ready to be collected, the belt snapping mid-way through a job 4 weeks ago. I wonder if I will need to then go and order a belt and fit it myself?
Mustang GT

Old 13-12-2022, 04:46 PM   #1916
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In a technical sense, I'm a qualified Horticulturalist. But the nature of the industry means I need to be proficient in a range of trades, even if my resume doesn't necessarily say so. Plumbing and small engine repair are two that come to mind. At the nursery, I also need to be able to sell shoes, sell pumps and gift wrap. Jack of all trades.

I mention this because today I did the job that apparently was not worth doing from the "professionals".

These NLA Rover axle mounting clips arrived today and I mustered up enough energy to fit them.

If you look at the design of these parts, there is NO WAY that these fell off in the field as was insinuated. (PRO TIP: Never, ever lie to me, I can spot it from a mile away!) The S-bolt piece is hooked into the chassis and then passing through the plate secured with a nylock nut.

And yes, there is some wear in the chassis. I don't see how removing the engine was going to be needed to repair this. Correct me if I am wrong, but you can't weld aluminum.

I do need to replace the axle bushings, which I have ordered along with a press in chassis repair clip. Frankly, all I want to do with this machine is to keep it mobile. I can monitor the condition of the bushes now that I know they are compromised and replace them as needed.

See, this is the difference between a commercial customer and a homeowner customer, the pro will understand this sort of thing. Again, I should have been phoned about this repair and consulted not just fobbed off and had the decision made for me. Then lied to about missing parts. Nine times out of ten, they would probably have to defend the repair costs to customers, for me, it's a working machine that earns a living, just fix the thing and let me pay for it!

I'm now waiting for the fresh bushings, a new spark plug and an air filter. Because these Rover's have a snorkel pre-filter, the one at the engine is a secondary filter, in this case it's actually the original filter from 2014! With all of that done, the Rover will continue to be my backup and thick duty mower.

I was also sent a text message yesterday by the shop to say my Mulchmaster is ready to be collected, the belt snapping mid-way through a job 4 weeks ago. I wonder if I will need to then go and order a belt and fit it myself?
Aluminum can be welded.usually with a tig welder
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2022, 04:52 PM   #1917
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Aluminum can be welded.usually with a tig welder
Thanks for that.

I guess they were thinking along the lines of welding and grinding the chassis to fill in the wear. Removing the engine would be for safety reasons. However, all they would need to do would be to drain the tank, run the engine dry and then wrap the engine in a wet towel.

I guess they just didn't want to do this. But again, call me first before assuming.
Mustang GT

Old 14-12-2022, 05:52 PM   #1918
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Today's burst of energy as I attempt to keep my mind busy, an oil change, filter clean and deck clean out on the Bushranger.

The last oil change for this unit was back in May. To be honest, I don't have a specific oil change period on my machines, I just get to them when I can. Sometimes it's every four months, sometimes its every six months, sometimes its every 12 months for a mower that I don't use as often. On this unit today, it was certainly "time".

This was the first time I have used this mower service stand. Bloody brilliant thing to have for someone servicing mowers often like I do.

The blades on the Bushranger still have life in them, but I could see a lot of built-up grass under disk around the drive shaft and cooling vents. With an impact wrench, it's easy enough to whip the disk off to get proper access. These Bushrangers use the Rover design disk with a central bolt and three smaller locating bolts.

With the Bushranger now ready for better days, I took the opportunity to replace the blades on the Atom. I have seen these go longer without problem but I had the time and parts in stock to just do them today.

I don't use the Atom regularly on jobs, mainly for the occasional overgrown lawn or at home for razor straight edges. This set of blades lasted just over two years.
Mustang GT

Old 14-12-2022, 06:08 PM   #1919
.:4:.
Kicking back

is it odd that i geek out harder towards the makita impact?
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2022, 06:16 PM   #1920
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
is it odd that i geek out harder towards the makita impact?
Not at all!
Mustang GT