Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2023, 10:28 AM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: V Facta September 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Do you plan to keep it for 20 years? Or even 10?
I'm sure it will last as long as it needs to and be end up being just a footnote in the history of the automobile.
Mazda stuff like this is generally reliable but it just makes me wince to see a design
that buries the timing chain to the point of an engine out replacement exercise.

I too drive an older Mazda but fully realise that newer vehicles are now designed with less margin
so probably won’t last anywhere near as long as our older longer lived vehicles…
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2023, 10:34 AM   #32
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The other side of the equation is a timing chain is supposed to last the life of the engine.

Although every 3.6L Commodore from VZ through to VFII need not apply, or D40 Nissan Navara
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2023, 10:36 AM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The other side of the equation is a timing chain is supposed to last the life of the engine.

Although every 3.6L Commodore from VZ through to VFII need not apply, or D40 Nissan Navara
That was me assuming that the Mazda I-6 has a timing chain, I don’t know for sure
as it might be one of those run in oil timing belts at the back of the engine
Old 07-10-2023, 10:42 AM   #34
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tesla Model Y: 3811, down 12.6 per cent

That’s impressive and hopefully bodes well for Ford’s Mach E arriving next year,
should we dare hope for 1,000 / month sales?

Does anyone have any info on how many F150 reservations/orders Ford is holding at the moment?
Old 07-10-2023, 11:18 AM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

There's a lot of Model 3 and Model Y on Melbourne roads, I reckon we've reached tipping point on EV and the general public are on the EV train.

It happened way sooner than I was expecting

Tesla needs to make an EV Thailand Special and they've got the Australian market by the balls.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2023, 11:34 AM   #36
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I thought they fixed that timing chain issue from late VE onwards
Old 07-10-2023, 11:50 AM   #37
prydey
Rob

Quote:
There's a lot of Model 3 and Model Y on Melbourne roads, I reckon we've reached tipping point on EV and the general public are on the EV train.

Be interesting to see vfacts breakdown of fuel type/power type.

While EV is definitely on the rise, I think they would still be only around 10% of sales.

Nearly all manufacturers are moving their focus to EV though so the uptake is likely to be exponential rather than linear.

While it's basically already the case, govts are going to be caught sleeping I feel. Lack of investment in EV infrastructure and grid capacity is going to hit sooner rather than later.

I think many are realising that they don't need a lot of range from an EV if they treat it like an appliance. Plug it in every night etc... For metro commuters there's not really a negative. I even asked the Mrs if she'd consider trading her escape in on an EV.
Old 07-10-2023, 12:09 PM   #38
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Tesla needs to make an EV Thailand Special and they've got the Australian market by the balls.
700 Teslas for sale on carsales though, thats a heap for a niche brand.
Why so many for sale? Existing buyers upgrading to the Y but can't sell their Model 3.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2023, 12:10 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

While EV is definitely on the rise, I think they would still be only around 10% of sales.

Nearly all manufacturers are moving their focus to EV though so the uptake is likely to be exponential rather than linear.

While it's basically already the case, govts are going to be caught sleeping I feel. Lack of investment in EV infrastructure and grid capacity is going to hit sooner rather than later.

I think many are realising that they don't need a lot of range from an EV if they treat it like an appliance. Plug it in every night etc... For metro commuters there's not really a negative. I even asked the Mrs if she'd consider trading her escape in on an EV.
The most of the western/northern/north western suburbs of Melbourne with light rail network are still operating the old 1970s/1980s trams that have had life extension projects and refurbishments - because the power infrastructure in these regions can't cope with the higher power demands of our E Class tram that is on the inner and SE suburbs routes.

The new G class tram coming is a low power design compared to the E class which is going to roll out on those routes:

Quote:
Onboard energy storage to limit current draw at peak times and reduce power use. This will reduce the need for expensive infrastructure upgrades, such as new or upgraded substations, and reduce network costs. The new trams will use 30–40 per cent less energy per passenger compared to an E Class tram, by using onboard energy storage technology and regenerative braking.
https://dtp.vic.gov.au/our-transport...neration-trams

This is going to be an issue as these suburbs more and more people buy EVs, its going to need to be addressed sooner rather than later.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2023, 12:47 PM   #40
prydey
Rob

Many think EV is this new eco friendly sustainable future, and that's certainly the message those selling the products are going with, however it's almost the opposite.

Battery manufacturing is extremely dirty and not environmentally friendly, and then batteries need constant charging. Green energy power grids just can't provide the energy required to be viable.

China are still investing heavily in coal power plants. They don't care about the lip service virtue signalling policies of the rest of the world. They want reliable power.
Old 07-10-2023, 01:18 PM   #41
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
as I really don't want an Everest as an eventual replacement for our Territory...mind you a CX-60 looks good although a few times it's ride has been criticised which can never be said of Ford products.
Pretty much why we will be picking up a cx60 this month.
Old 07-10-2023, 01:36 PM   #42
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Such a dismal list of vehicles appliances.

Who would have thought the future would be so bleak?
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2023, 02:16 PM   #43
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Nearly all manufacturers are moving their focus to EV though so the uptake is likely to be exponential rather than linear.While it's basically already the case, govts are going to be caught sleeping I feel. Lack of investment in EV infrastructure and grid capacity is going to hit sooner rather than later.

Considering last month’s total sales were just over 110,000 and BEV sales maxed out at 8,831 sales
it’s still about 8% of the total, so still plenty of time to roll out charging network but as a
suburban based vehicle, BEVs make a lot of sense once people get used to the differences.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/vfa...ales-australia

Last edited by jpd80; 07-10-2023 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2023, 03:27 PM   #44
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Many think EV is this new eco friendly sustainable future, and that's certainly the message those selling the products are going with, however it's almost the opposite.

Battery manufacturing is extremely dirty and not environmentally friendly, and then batteries need constant charging. Green energy power grids just can't provide the energy required to be viable.

China are still investing heavily in coal power plants. They don't care about the lip service virtue signalling policies of the rest of the world. They want reliable power.
The most environmentally thing you can do is keep driving the car you have.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2023, 04:11 PM   #45
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Mustang 24. Why even bother...........
S550 has been out of production for a couple of months, those 24 sales would have been the last of the outstanding orders coming through. Customers (me) are now waiting for S650 to arrive early next year. I doubt we will see many new Mustang's sold until then. Once again, it comes down to a lack of stock rather than a lack of interest.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2023, 04:14 PM   #46
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Pretty much why we will be picking up a cx60 this month.
I would love to hear your thought when it arrives, really interested in these new Mazda's.
Mustang GT

Old 07-10-2023, 04:29 PM   #47
ljf12

Would be interesting to know percentage of EV sales that are novated leases. Leases are good value on most EV’s and PHEV’s since the govt exempted them from FBT.
My wife recently took out a novated lease on a base model Tesla Model 3, 5 years of payments plus paying the residual at the end way cheaper than paying cash for the car.
Plus if you had the money to purchase outright at todays interest rates you would earn around $15,000 in interest.
ljf12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2023, 04:37 PM   #48
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:

https://energycentral.com/news/energ...l-plant-online

Not to mention all the cobalt, lithium and rare earths needed.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-10-2023, 05:41 PM   #49
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
700 Teslas for sale on carsales though, thats a heap for a niche brand.

Why so many for sale? Existing buyers upgrading to the Y but can't sell their Model 3.
Many early lease cars are coming off their 5 years now. Also, second hand market was crazy hot so they're taking longer to sell as people haven't caught up with the slower used car market now.

Many going to Y over the 3.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2023, 05:46 PM   #50
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

Not to muddy this thread with EV talk (there is a separate thread for that)

It's about fuel security. I've said this time and again.

China are pushing coal and EVs... why? Fuel security. And your emissions are less than running diesel or petrol to run a car than charge off coal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post

Misinformation. 90% plus of all EVs sold in Australia don't use Cobalt.

Rare doesn't mean hard to find but rather hard to process profitability.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2023, 06:02 PM   #51
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our government retains the luxury car tax as a billion dollar revenue raiser
Ironically it was for supporting and protecting an industry it gave up on years ago….
4 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2023, 07:50 PM   #52
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Many many more think it's a cheaper option for short distance day to day running.....and barely consider the environmental aspect of it

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2023, 08:19 PM   #53
vbomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The difference is that everything now is basically sold long before arrival,
curious to see how quickly Ford reduces wait times on Ranger and Everest.
A 6-9 month wait on those vehicles is ridiculous, even 3 months is bad.
Everest Platinum wait is 12 months, Sports is 18 months....could be a while before they get down
vbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2023, 10:27 PM   #54
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbomber View Post
Everest Platinum wait is 12 months, Sports is 18 months....could be a while before they get down
I don’t think we’re seeing the full effect of the new extra shipping capacity yet
August deliveries…………….5760 Rangers and 1502 Everest…….Total 7262
September deliveries……..5429 Rangers and 1984 Everest…….Total 7413

There’s an extra 2600 spaces on the new carrier, so if the plant can keep up
that could mean 7,000 Rangers and 3,200 Everest deliveries a month (if split evenly)

Of course I could be overly optimistic with the above……
Old 18-10-2023, 09:37 PM   #55
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Honda supply improving imminently, wait times slashed -

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...-times-slashed

Yeah, wait times will always go down if demand also drops. If Mazda followed this "agency" model, they actually have the product to back up higher prices. Honda? Yeah, no. Nothing special about them anymore, especially not at those prices.
Mustang GT

Old 20-10-2023, 09:37 PM   #56
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post

When the going gets tough, the tough sell them dirt.

Here's that excellent 4 corners report on exactly this issue:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-...-more/13873540
Old 20-10-2023, 10:06 PM   #57
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

laughs in cybertruck
Old 21-10-2023, 11:09 AM   #58
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Tesla Model Y result YTD is amazing, coming from nowhere to market dominance.

Also interesting is MG ZS outselling RAV4 ytd. Although you might think Aussies love cheap and cheerful and the cheaper the more cheerful, Toyota could fall on their katana if this keeps up in the segment

Both of those winners made in China I think too - here comes the volume shift. EV shift is taking place in force now.

Overseas there's news of EU/Germany trying to protect their EV industry from Chinese competition and prolong ICE, will the German industry head the way of our one?
I’ve noticed MG is the new NPC car that people who hate driving are now buying.
You see a lot of white MGs driving below the speed limit in the right lane these days.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2023, 11:24 AM   #59
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And this from Elon,

Quote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uverify%20wall

“We dug our own grave with Cybertruck,” Musk told analysts, referring to the level of complexity of the vehicle. “Special products that come along only once in a long while are just incredibly difficult to bring to market, to reach volume, to be prosperous.”