Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 12:56 AM   #9331
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Just had a quick Google and yes that is the reports. The good thing is we have licence to produce AZ vaccine here for ourselves and potentially more.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:46 AM   #9332
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Will we ever see scenes like this again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnIwCsQYoEc
Not quite Wembley but already happening.
https://youtu.be/m7kKr7vaBzk
2 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #9333
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
So what, They've spent over 2.5 Million Dollars keeping 4 people on Christmas Island. Who in my opinion should be back at Biloela being the productive members on the community they were (are)..

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-14m-last-year
Think your comment is a bit more of a political statement regarding those people just like like those refugees who were locked up in Mantra Bell City Preston hotel for over a year.
Cheers
This user likes this post:
Old 06-02-2021, 02:28 PM   #9334
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I dunno, elect me into office, pay me MP salaries and I'll get to work Was Howard Springs already built or was it built for quarantine?

I'm sure we have enough old mining sites to set something up if we really wanted to. Those sites would have hospitals relatively close by for the miners. They DON'T need 5 start hotels, they just need the basics. Its a bloody pandemic. Do a deal with the likes of metricon, they can get those ready made hutches up and ready in no time. We seem to be finding excuses how not to do it rather than finding a way to do it.

The hard thing would be getting staff to stay there for a prolong period of time, but if you pay fairly I am sure many would take it.

We are already near 1 trillion in debt, whats another $50-$100m to keep everyone safe and alive? This probably won't be the last pandemic. "Experts" are already warning that this will become more common as humans encroach more into wildlife habitat.
As I stated the cost would be astronomical, the logistics would be a nightmare. The hotel quarantine will be ok if some adjustments and fine tuning is done to the way they are managed, nothing is perfect in this world and I'm sure all authorities are learning from past mistakes to have a better system.
Would you prefer to use Xmas island, Manus Island or maybe we could use Nauru which I think the answer would be "No"
I don't think we need to alienate returning people by imposing them to isolated areas.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:41 PM   #9335
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT February 5th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

4 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.152%.

2 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.080% and active cases 62.

The UK had 19,114 cases yesterday and 1,014 deaths.

Just over 130k new cases in the USA yesterday and 3,668 deaths sees CMR up to 1.712%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global deaths pass 2.3M, the last 50k in 3 days;

Only:

Albania (1,089)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #9336
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT February 6th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

6 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.151%.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.080% and active cases 62.

The UK had 18,262 cases yesterday and 828 deaths.

Just under 132.5k new cases in the USA yesterday and 3,665 deaths sees CMR up to 1.717%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Global cases pass 106M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Europe passes 31M cases.

Only:

Albania (1,130) - for the 6th consecutive day

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #9337
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Because it was so distinctly impacted by coronavirus, the current outbreak of professional tennis in Australia probably belongs in this thread, not the Sports Bra.

I have to ask, looking at the trophy wielded by Ms Barty for winning the Yarra Valley Classic - what was the creator thinking? It looks like a sucking-pig, needing only the apple in its mouth and a bed of roast vegetables surrounding.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-...final/13130124
Old 07-02-2021, 05:29 PM   #9338
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Because it was so distinctly impacted by coronavirus, the current outbreak of professional tennis in Australia probably belongs in this thread, not the Sports Bra.

I have to ask, looking at the trophy wielded by Ms Barty for winning the Yarra Valley Classic - what was the creator thinking? It looks like a sucking-pig, needing only the apple in its mouth and a bed of roast vegetables surrounding.

congrats + trophy is cool af
Old 07-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #9339
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:

Sucking-wombat mate, so it needs a quandong in it's mouth and a bed of roast yams and warrigal greens
Old 07-02-2021, 09:53 PM   #9340
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Covid pass...

Old 08-02-2021, 12:50 AM   #9341
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
Covid pass...

Only over my cold, dead hand.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:03 AM   #9342
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
What happens when denied entry to or service in places though, if they do indeed push it even for domestic purposes, like how Berejik has been saying.

Seems we dont have much of a choice if they go that way.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:17 AM   #9343
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
You won't have to comply but get ready to have your life made harder than it needs to be
Old 08-02-2021, 08:24 AM   #9344
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

So… The merry-go-round has fired up again in NSW and Victoria. Where did they go, is anyone else infected?
Old 08-02-2021, 08:28 AM   #9345
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So… The merry-go-round has fired up again in NSW and Victoria. Where did they go, is anyone else infected?
It'll keep happening. We are playing a game of chance. Hotels are not quarantine facilities. Come winter our odds might be different.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #9346
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And we might need to start considering 21 days quarantine like some other places have been doing. And jab all hotel staff with the vaccine that reduces transmission.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 08-02-2021, 09:06 AM   #9347
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’m puzzled why staff are not semi-quarantined themselves, to form more manageable “cells”. And further why it’s still OK for some to work multiple jobs.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #9348
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I’m puzzled why staff are not semi-quarantined themselves, to form more manageable “cells”. And further why it’s still OK for some to work multiple jobs.
Human rights. And who wants to do a job where it's highly stressful then when you go home you are confined again, and the pay is crap?

Only hotel staff involved in quarantine can't work multi jobs. This is a support worker. Workers like GPs can still work multi jobs. Gov can't pay their full wage.

Rides (past and present)

Old 08-02-2021, 09:50 AM   #9349
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Human rights. And who wants to do a job where it's highly stressful then when you go home you are confined again, and the pay is crap?

Only hotel staff involved in quarantine can't work multi jobs. This is a support worker. Workers like GPs can still work multi jobs. Gov can't pay their full wage.
Put the facilities on a bloody island and run it like a FIFO camp.

Pay the people running it top dollar and do it right
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2021, 10:14 AM   #9350
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Put the facilities on a bloody island and run it like a FIFO camp.

Pay the people running it top dollar and do it right
Easier said than done. Remember what the FO part of FIFO means.
First you have to transport everyone there. That means a multitude of bus drivers, extra flights etc. Then you need to house all for the workers that will service the site. Are they going to live there too? Then you have to transport them out at some stage - more transport workers.

Quarantine will never be perfect. This is the next couple of years. Test everyone that works there every day, no second jobs, move anyone who tests positive immediately to a hot facility. Anyone whose condition deteriorates should not be on Christmas Island or the like. The current system keeps them close to the required medical support. That is as good as it can be.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:23 AM   #9351
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Remote mining camps, offshore Christmas Islands, etc, etc. Every time you move someone with the plague you open up risk. The further the distance, the more people involved, the greater the risk. Hotels at the airports are the least risk - walk off plane and across the road to your room.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:24 AM   #9352
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Will we ever see scenes like this again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnIwCsQYoEc
I still have tickets for 'Under the southern stars' the event has now been pushed back to May 8th.

apart from likely being cold and wet, I can't see it happening anyway. there's enough upset over the Tennis.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 08-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #9353
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Easier said than done. Remember what the FO part of FIFO means.
First you have to transport everyone there. That means a multitude of bus drivers, extra flights etc. Then you need to house all for the workers that will service the site. Are they going to live there too? Then you have to transport them out at some stage - more transport workers.

Quarantine will never be perfect. This is the next couple of years. Test everyone that works there every day, no second jobs, move anyone who tests positive immediately to a hot facility. Anyone whose condition deteriorates should not be on Christmas Island or the like. The current system keeps them close to the required medical support. That is as good as it can be.
Who would have thought locking down a state for months would have ever been done, but it did.

I get what you are saying but you then have x amount of people to run the place working back to back. They all get vaccinated etc first, yes you run the risk of them bring it back but I would have thought thats better than having these facilities in our CBDs...

Im sure we can set up make shift medical facilities on the islands etc..maybe we should just label all incoming flights refuges and that will get them on an island for sure

edit: this would have to be something led by the feds too IMO
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #9354
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
this would have to be something led by the feds too IMO
Absolutely agree the Feds should do it. The problem with this they would need all of the States to agree and accept how it is being done.

But so far that has been like herding cats.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:16 AM   #9355
tweeked
N/A all the way

The other thing with hotel quarantine, no one is catching it walking past the hotel. It is staff when they go home, have a family gathering, go to a cafe. So it is actually no different than if it was somewhere out of the city. Those people will still go home, have a family gathering, go to a cafe.

Unless you lock up the staff for two years, remote quarantine is actually totally ineffective. It will just make people feel safer. But they wont be.

2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2021, 11:26 AM   #9356
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Absolutely agree the Feds should do it. The problem with this they would need all of the States to agree and accept how it is being done.

But so far that has been like herding cats.
i didnt think most states wanted control of qarentining and kept asking for federal assistance

id alse think if the qarentining procedure had been totally isolated then we wouldnt have had state lockdowns which the stated did want control off

and lastly i feel with the loss of taxes and the amount of cash they spent in to the comunity due to covid , doing qarintening isolated ivrecon would have been cheaper and the broader comunity would have kept nirmal lifes , as we didnt have it here we brought it in from overseas

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2021, 11:37 AM   #9357
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
i didnt think most states wanted control of qarentining and kept asking for federal assistance
The states were forced to act. According to an "insider", there was a national cabinet held early 2020 to discuss how to quarantine returning citizens and residents. Apparently, the feds rocked up with no plans. Then some idiot, by the name of Dan Andrews, proposed that the states take on the task. They all agreed, the rest is history. Don't want to get political on this, but the events are the events. Paul Bonjiorno wrote a piece on this.

Lots have been said about costs, but if you count the costs of border closures, the costs of running disparate systems across the states, the cost of mental health from restrictions, the cost of illnesses and deaths resulting from outbreaks, and the future costs of health complications from those that have caught the virus......I think a centrally managed and remote system might end up being "cheaper".

On staff, you could have a system where they work monthly or quarterly on site, and remunerate them appropriately. Much better then them going home every night and mixing with the crowd.

Having said all this, we have still done it better than 99% of other countries.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:39 PM   #9358
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Remote mining camps, offshore Christmas Islands, etc, etc. Every time you move someone with the plague you open up risk. The further the distance, the more people involved, the greater the risk. Hotels at the airports are the least risk - walk off plane and across the road to your room.

The Blokes who own the Toowoomba Airport want to builds a Quarantine Station right next to It.. Walk off the Plane straight into It..

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational...ntine/13131412
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2021, 12:46 PM   #9359
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
The Blokes who own the Toowoomba Airport want to builds a Quarantine Station right next to It.. Walk off the Plane straight into It..

It would be a pretty tidy earner!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-02-2021, 12:50 PM   #9360
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:

Not too many international flights land at Toowoomba

You've got to then put them on domestic / charter flights and get them to Toowoomba and that's opened up the movement risk again.
Closed Thread