Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-06-2016, 11:24 PM   #1
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU interior - interchangeable parts

Gday,

So for years I was under the impression the interior in AU's essentially could be swapped and changed.

I found out today I was very wrong..

I have a Fairmont sedan, a Forte wagon, and a Fairlane. I wanted to take the interior out of the Fairlane, put into the Fairmont, then take the Fairmont interior and put it into the Wagon..

So, the Fairlane has larger mounts that make the latches not line up (even though the bolt locations are the same), the wagon has a completely different mount and setup..

All these build threads I have seen of ghia gear going into Wagons, I never actually asked what the source car was.

Wiring.. well that's a whole new pain.. The Fairmont had all the required wiring. I knew the Forte wouldnt, so that's the next problem..

Questions..

Seats - is there a way to change the brackets for the seats mounts, or has anyone got hints for getting the different models to play nice?

Wiring - has anyone got wiring diagrams, pics, tips for putting high model stuff into low models (electric seats, courtesy lights, potentially a high series dash).

Electric windows - I am wanting to put the electric windows from Fairlane into the Wagon. 2 questions.. will they fit, how tricky is the wiring?

I brought the car for really cheap and will parts it out, I really just wanted the door trims, leather gear etc, so anything extra is just a bonus.

Thanks in advance!
Matt

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-06-2016, 11:26 PM   #2
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU interior - interchangeable parts

If it helps the Fairlane is complete. It has a blown gearbox and smashed rear window, but from what I can tell the wiring and electronics ok, so can raid it for parts if needed.

Old 17-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #3
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

I put the Howe leather seats in to my wagon, eventually fairlane seats, the front bolt straight in but the tears won't.
The lower rear will clip straight in but the split folds I had to take my existing leathers and foam off the wagon frames and put the fairlane Howe leathers and foams on to my wagon frames, only way to get them in.

Regards
Ray

5.0L, 2.1l Kenne Bell, Tickford T3 Heads, Crow valve springs, YellaTerra 1.7 Rockers, Comp Cam, Comp D-Row Timing, 10mm LiveWire Leads, LC-1 & Moats Quarterhorse, B&M TransCooler, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, King Superlow Coil Springs, John Bowe Superlow Pro Leaf Springs, K&N 4" Pod & CAI, Pacemakers, 100c Cats, 2.5" Redback, 19" FPV Rims, BF-T Prem Brakes, TS50 Bumper with DTRL's, Custom FG Bulge, BA XR Side Skirts/Rear bar

Ford Performance Club of ACT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rayban76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #4
macxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drill the rivets out of the seat hinges and re use the fairmont ones
macxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #5
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

swap the foams and the covers over for the front seat bases, the tops of the seat may swap completely
as far as the wagon with elec windows there might be plugs under the carpet either under the centre console or under the sills and you might get away with just plugging in the window looms. E-series cars used to have all the wiring and was plug and play.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2016, 04:22 PM   #6
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayban76 View Post
I put the Howe leather seats in to my wagon, eventually fairlane seats, the front bolt straight in but the tears won't.
The lower rear will clip straight in but the split folds I had to take my existing leathers and foam off the wagon frames and put the fairlane Howe leathers and foams on to my wagon frames, only way to get them in.

Regards
Ray
My wagon has a middle seat belt built into the seat. Is there a way to remove it?

The lower section looks to be a buckle setup but with no release. There is a small pin hole, might be it?

I got the rear section in fine, slight win

Old 17-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #7
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by macxr8 View Post
Drill the rivets out of the seat hinges and re use the fairmont ones
That does make sense. What sort of rivet would be strong enough to bmdo the job when I reassemble though?

Old 17-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #8
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten[A]cio[U]s View Post
My wagon has a middle seat belt built into the seat. Is there a way to remove it?

The lower section looks to be a buckle setup but with no release. There is a small pin hole, might be it?

I got the rear section in fine, slight win

Yeah that hole that you can see, push a punch or something in to it and it will release the center buckle, and then when you're done it just clips straight back in like a normal seatbelt.

Ray

5.0L, 2.1l Kenne Bell, Tickford T3 Heads, Crow valve springs, YellaTerra 1.7 Rockers, Comp Cam, Comp D-Row Timing, 10mm LiveWire Leads, LC-1 & Moats Quarterhorse, B&M TransCooler, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, King Superlow Coil Springs, John Bowe Superlow Pro Leaf Springs, K&N 4" Pod & CAI, Pacemakers, 100c Cats, 2.5" Redback, 19" FPV Rims, BF-T Prem Brakes, TS50 Bumper with DTRL's, Custom FG Bulge, BA XR Side Skirts/Rear bar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 17-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #9
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I need pics to visualise this. From what little I know the Fairlane will fit the least into anything else.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #10
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken View Post
I need pics to visualise this. From what little I know the Fairlane will fit the least into anything else.
UK

Yeah they do but the wagons have a different setup in the rear because of the shape, it's much easier to take the original trim and foams off the rear frames and put the new trim and foams back on them, I've done it several times and it's about an hour job all up

Ray

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 11:49 PM   #11
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a look under the wagons seat and no wiring for the electric seat.

I'll have to have a crack at swapping the foam and covers over.

The rear middle belt goes into the actual seat not behind it. What did you do to the leather seats to get around it?

Old 18-06-2016, 03:19 AM   #12
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with electrics in the AU, is that much of it is all controlled by the BEM. Not sure which bits, so wiring up things like rear electric windows, electric seats, etc, etc, may not work without swapping the BEM.
(and I'm not even sure that you can simply swap a BEM, without it interfering with other stuff.)

As for seats, I could have sworn that ALL front seats were completely interchangeable???

But obviously the rears in a sedan, wagon, and LWB sedan are different.
Old 18-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Havent mucked around with one in ages but from memory the BEM is paired to the ECU, so if you change one you will require Ford help to get them to talk to each other again.

Front seats should work fine and if you dont have the loom there for the power seat you only need power and earth to make it move anyway.
Old 18-06-2016, 11:50 PM   #14
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
Havent mucked around with one in ages but from memory the BEM is paired to the ECU, so if you change one you will require Ford help to get them to talk to each other again.

Front seats should work fine and if you dont have the loom there for the power seat you only need power and earth to make it move anyway.
I don't really understand why a BEM is needed for half the stuff it is.
Old 21-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #15
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats a recommended source to get power for the seats and electric windows from, essentially bypassing the BEM?

Is it worth finding a source near by or running a new circuit all together and fusing it?

I will be running the courtesy lights spliced off the ignition barrel light, saw that somewhere and seemed like the ideal spot.

Old 23-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #16
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten[A]cio[U]s View Post
Whats a recommended source to get power for the seats and electric windows from, essentially bypassing the BEM?

Is it worth finding a source near by or running a new circuit all together and fusing it?
You'll need to get an understanding of exactly how the windows are powered. I'm not 100% sure on the AU myself.

Traditionally it was simple. High amp cables routed power form the switches, usually via the central switches, direct to the motor. Switches were prone to problems because the high current would often burn the contacts.

In "modern" cars, a low power (and possibly even low voltage) switch tells the computer that somebody wants the window up. Computer sends signal to open a relay, and supply power to the motor. For example on my wife's car, the windows also function when the top goes up or down, and can be raised with the remote.

I have no idea which system the AU used. I wanted to swap rear power windows from my Fairmont into the Futura, and was told I couldn't without also swapping and wiring in the BEM.
Old 24-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #17
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

I fit fairlane rear seats for the headrests in my au fairmont a while ago. I used the regular brackets except bent the tabs down and bolted them in via the square hole. They close up and lock no problems now.
xr6tjet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #18
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

With the wiring, if the plugs for the seats are not already there under the carpet somewhere (have a good look because sometimes they're well hidden), easiest thing to do is get the body loom out of the Fairmont and either install it in the wagon or splice bits and pieces into existing loom, but I would replace it.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #19
TOP DOG

DO NOT alter the hinges on a sedan rear seat to fit into a wagon. The sedan seats are designed to use the parcel shelf as a structural part (the seats rest up against it). The wagon does not have the parcel shelf, so the seat frames themselves are designed to be self supporting (much heavier frame). Yes I know lots of people have done it, but it is not safe and your insurance will be void.

Remove to cover from the sedan seat and put it on to the wagon frame and foam. If the covers and foam are a different shape to the wagon, you have to cut out the back of the sedan foam to fit around the wagon frames. This is an easy job it takes about 10 minutes with a razor blade. When taking the covers off don't forget the clips located on the center insert on the front of the cover.[ATTACH]FOAM RESHAPED.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FRAME COMPARISON.jpg (50.5 KB, 24 views)
TOP DOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 11:32 PM   #20
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's ultra helpful. Thanks for the pictures!

Old 13-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #21
TOP DOG

[QUOTE='ten[A]cio[U]s;5695795']My wagon has a middle seat belt built into the seat. Is there a way to remove it?

I have left the original wagon center seat belt in place. You will have to cut the new cover where the seat belt comes through the top. A simple X cut will do the trick, either tuck the flaps under or trim them off so the plastic cover clips into the seat frame to hold the belt in place.
TOP DOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post