Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #151
JG34JA

Inspiring stories, keep them coming!

Found my own 'barn find' out on a farm. Actually it is a whole lot of them, HK-T-G and FC/FE utes, HQ utes and a tonner that were 'Farm rockets' on one part of the property resplendent with discarded red engines among the scrub, and XR utes, XP-M utes and wagons on another (used to be a different farm whose owner had 'bluer' blood). There was a customline as well, but that was taken (and hopefully restored) some years ago. Throw in the odd completely rusted Valiant... I wish I had some pics to post. Rust had the better of most of them, but to my eye, the HT's were closest to saving.

In my travels I found my own restorer, and its serial number prefix has become my AFF "name"...

It's been a while since the cars of the 'glory days' have been really common as barn finds. I cannot but help think that the days of the "classic" EBII S-XR6 found in a tin shed are right now...
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #152
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
To those owners who have actually stumbled upon a barn find i have one question..

Did you find those cars whilst out purposely searching for them or did you just 'come across' them...???
Reason being many people have told me that they come across them accidently and when they dont have $$$... I hope to one day find something special in a hidden Barn....
You find them when you have the gut instinct there's something tucked away in the paddock your driving past, or driving the streets you normally don't go down in town. Sometimes the best finds are closer than you think. After a while you'll find yourself suddenly looking across at a barn or paddock driving along because your 'car radar' has just gone off!!!!
Travelling on a train gives you a remarkable veiw of what people have stashed in their backyards. Good luck!!!
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #153
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

My mates were telling me about a 2 door LJ torana on a property out of town they asked about bit over a year ago. They wanted about $1500 for it. So the other day we went for a drive out there to check it out. The owner wasnt home and the horse he calls a dog tried to eat us in the drive way but you could see it sitting in the paddock behind the house next to a few other cars. We will go back out again another day.

Theres also an old fella in town here who owns a collection of old valiants etc. He has a charger that my mates asked about. He wanted $6000 or so for it. I might go have a look at it soon.

Theres an XP ute sitting in a paddock near the highway between Singleton and Muswellbrook. It has been there for years and looks to be in alright condition. I have never stopped to look at it close though.

On saturday I drove all the way to Canberra with my mate to pick up his new car and trailered it home. It is a one owner 1973 VJ Valiant engineered and registered with a 440 magnum big block, 770 torqueflite and 9 inch rear. It has a fresh paint job and is spotless inside and out. One of the nicest and toughest VJ's I have ever seen. The old wog he bought it off had it since he was 16 and needed the shed space. The last time it was driven was before last years summernats he took it for a lap into town and back to charge the battery.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #154
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankclare
.. The old wog ...
Sounds like a great car, although was there really a need to write the above?
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #155
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Sorry if it offended you or anyone else :-(

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #156
TP351
Lurker

I picked this one up a few months ago, been eyein' it off for years..... Has plenty of GT bits on it too!

Last edited by TP351; 13-05-2011 at 04:29 PM.
TP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 12:35 AM   #157
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP351
I picked this one up a few months ago, been eyein' it off for years..... Has plenty of GT bits on it too!
The old Black and White plates aswell, so what are your plan's for her ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #158
TP351
Lurker

Initially a clean up and get it back on the road as a weekend cruiser. Eventually I'll get the body and paint done and make a GT or even a GS replica out of it. At the moment I'm leaning towards Silver Fox GT......
TP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #159
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Keep us updated as you go mate.
Old 18-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #160
stang777

This one may hurt a bit.... Now i don't know exactly where Ute is just that its in the adelaide hills somewhere. I guy i was working with found out i had a mustang and we got talking a bit about Fords. Then he told me that he was walking out the back of a mates place and tripped over something. He thought nothing of it until his mate said thats genuine you know and looked back at it. It was a shaker. Then his mate pointed at a shed with a car in it. It was piled with paint tins and planks of wood and just junk he went over and looked at it and it was a genuine phase 3 Gt ho. He went to his mates dad and said ill give you 10grand for it and he turned around and says try 200. How sad is that???
stang777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #161
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

This is lurking in a shed I know if the owner doesn"t get with the program soon (been 10 years) I may have to pinch it
Genuine matching numbers L J XU1 No rust just a few shopping trolly dents

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #162
stang777

Another bloke i was working with picked up a black Xc coupe someone just didn't care about real cheap. took it to a friend and started working on it and realised it was in fact an Xc cobra someone had painted and taken all the good cobra bits off
Old 18-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #163
disco

Okay here's a barn find story.

This is an original unrestored 1969 XW GT-HO Falcon. This car was actually owned by an elderly couple who bought it new and had it delivered on Christmas Day in 1969. It's starlight blue with a black vinyl roof (Grandpa/Grandma option Lol!).

Anyway the second owner tracked down this car (it was in a little town in Tasmania) after hearing of it many years earlier. He courted and visited the original owners for years till he finally bought it. It had 65800 original miles on it with the books.

Here are some pics of when he first found it in the mid 90's, and when they took it for a quick drive around the town after many, many years of slumber.

Hope you like the pics.

cheers,
Dave.

disco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #164
stang777

This is what's sitting in our barn/shed yes me and my mum are guilty. Its a genuine xb GS fairmont with a 351 and 4 speed toploader that has been stroked and bored to i don't know what it started with a 4 that's all i know. It has 4v heads from a xy Gt. The original grill was a black fairmont grill but it broke a long time ago. Here's the story behind it. My popa bought it second hand in the 80s after selling his yellow ochre xy Gt ho for 4k and drove it as his every day car till he was driving to work one day in a big storm. A bolt of lightening hit a giant forked gum tree the tree fell and cut the car into three pieces the front end and boot where cut from the cabin where my popa sat un harmed. It was then completely rebuild and he then drove it again as his every day car. Then in 1995 or 6 it was sealed in his shed for 12 years along with his faker. He started it atleast once a week till he died at 56 of asbestos cancer. My mother then inherited it. It was moved to a friends yard for about a year without a cover and rusted horribly. We then brought it to our house next to the ocean which didn't help the rust. We moved again and stored it in a shed till we got it running and drove it till the diff went it then sat for a further year near an ocean again for over a year. We got it going again and then the brakes went so now it sits in our shed till we have the money to have a complete resto done on it. We can never sell it as it was my poppas favourite car.
Old 18-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #165
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Disco..
Now that is a barn find I would like to come across one day, nice pic's.
Old 18-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #166
te250

along the warrego highway just outside of gatton, qld there is an xa gt which is apparently an rpo83, sitting in a shed
te250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #167
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by te250
along the warrego highway just outside of gatton, qld there is an xa gt which is apparently an rpo83, sitting in a shed
Must be a recent one. I wouldve spotted something like that by now
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #168
stang777

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang777
This is what's sitting in our barn/shed yes me and my mum are guilty. Its a genuine xb GS fairmont with a 351 and 4 speed toploader that has been stroked and bored to i don't know what it started with a 4 that's all i know. It has 4v heads from a xy Gt. The original grill was a black fairmont grill but it broke a long time ago. Here's the story behind it. My popa bought it second hand in the 80s after selling his yellow ochre xy Gt ho for 4k and drove it as his every day car till he was driving to work one day in a big storm. A bolt of lightening hit a giant forked gum tree the tree fell and cut the car into three pieces the front end and boot where cut from the cabin where my popa sat un harmed. It was then completely rebuild and he then drove it again as his every day car. Then in 1995 or 6 it was sealed in his shed for 12 years along with his faker. He started it atleast once a week till he died at 56 of asbestos cancer. My mother then inherited it. It was moved to a friends yard for about a year without a cover and rusted horribly. We then brought it to our house next to the ocean which didn't help the rust. We moved again and stored it in a shed till we got it running and drove it till the diff went it then sat for a further year near an ocean again for over a year. We got it going again and then the brakes went so now it sits in our shed till we have the money to have a complete resto done on it. We can never sell it as it was my poppas favourite car.
here's the pics sorry about that it wouldn't work

Last edited by stang777; 15-04-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 19-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #169
stang777

Quote:
Originally Posted by te250
is it visible from the hwy?
Old 19-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #170
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
here's the pics sorry about that it wouldn't work
What colour is that?

Looks like Antique Beige!

Surely not Sandstone Beige is it? Looks a little darker than Sandstone. Either way I love it!
Old 19-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #171
66GT

I was thinking about the old guy near Gatton & how he went with the floods recently - hopefully all ok. He is the 1'st & only owner of an red XA GT Coupe. He got married in it & it was used as the famlies only transport for many years. The car is now retired to the shed where it has been for 15 or more years. I've asked he a couple of times about purchasing it - he knows its worth. He was saying that he would like to fix it up & start driving again. One of his mates up around the corner has a Phase 3 sitting in a shed also, he purchased either new or near new.
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #172
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
Okay here's a barn find story.

This is an original unrestored 1969 XW GT-HO Falcon. This car was actually owned by an elderly couple who bought it new and had it delivered on Christmas Day in 1969. It's starlight blue with a black vinyl roof (Grandpa/Grandma option Lol!).

Anyway the second owner tracked down this car (it was in a little town in Tasmania) after hearing of it many years earlier. He courted and visited the original owners for years till he finally bought it. It had 65800 original miles on it with the books.

Here are some pics of when he first found it in the mid 90's, and when they took it for a quick drive around the town after many, many years of slumber.

Hope you like the pics.

cheers,
Dave.

Great story - but not the correct story.... ;)
Old 19-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #173
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Great story - but not the correct story.... ;)
let me guess - its just a rebodied XW GS 221 six in grecian gold with a bench seat?

Sorry boys - couldnt help myself!

Do tell Loftie.....
Old 19-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #174
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

The car was owned by the local butcher in Derby TAS....
Was sold to someone on the Mainland of OZ...
Now resides in NZ...

Thats the shortened correct anonymous version...
Old 19-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #175
stang777

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
What colour is that?

Looks like Antique Beige!

Surely not Sandstone Beige is it? Looks a little darker than Sandstone. Either way I love it!
the colour code is c if that helps. Also the interior is saddle.
Old 19-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #176
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Now resides in NZ...

?

Now resides in Sydney I would have said
Old 19-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #177
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
the colour code is c if that helps. Also the interior is saddle.
Must have had a colour change at some stage

C = Skyview Blue for XB/ZG range
Old 19-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #178
disco

Quote:
Now resides in NZ...

Loftie,

Nice one, but you have it confused mate.

You are right that the car was originally owned by a Butcher in Derby. It was then sold to the second owner (who took those pics) who also lives in Tassie (Launceston). It now resides on mainland Aust since 2009.

The second owner of this car (who took those pics) happened to also own another starlight blue Phase 1. This car was modded, had a shaker and cobra badges on the guards. This one was sold to a person in NZ.

Maybe that is the one you are thinking of?

Cheers,
Dave.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #179
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
Loftie,

Nice one, but you have it confused mate.

You are right that the car was originally owned by a Butcher in Derby. It was then sold to the second owner (who took those pics) who also lives in Tassie (Launceston). It now resides on mainland Aust since 2009.

The second owner of this car (who took those pics) happened to also own another starlight blue Phase 1. This car was modded, had a shaker and cobra badges on the guards. This one was sold to a person in NZ.

Maybe that is the one you are thinking of?

Cheers,
Dave.
Fair nuff...
Might be the other car...
But I do remember a different version of the story of the Derby Butcher car - as told by the 'second owner'...

Great photos all the same... ;)
Old 19-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #180
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of nudging and winking going on there Loftie.

Please don't try and create an air of intrigue/doubt around the provenance of another forum members car......i find it quiet disconcerting. Especially when it is one of fair value

Hopefully I am just reading too much into your posts