Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 06-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
NevC
Red Back Ute

Default MA or MB

What is difference between MA and MB Mondeo?
Insurance mob asked me what the new one is, and I had no answer.

Cheers

Nev

BF XR6 Ute, July 2006 build, Seduce, Sports Bars, F6 CAI with K&N Filter, Turbo Upper Snorkel and Terri Air Pipe, Custom Cat Back Exhaust, 3.23 LSD, Lower Grille, Auto Glass, Bluetooth, iPod interface, Tie Downs, Analogue Clock, LED Mods

Hers 2011 SV6 Sports wagon, she has crossed to the dark side of the force.
NevC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
rob270
Starter Motor

If is a sedan then it is an MA as MB models are not imported here anymore in a sedan. Quickest way i tell is by the instrument cluster. The MB has the high end dash (blue screen)in the Zetec, XR5 and Titanium whereas the MA only had the high end cluster in the XR5.

That's about as best as i can describe.
rob270 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
warren77

Essentially they are the same car, with some minor changes.
For example, the MB Mondeo XR5 picked up:
alloy pedals
active cruise control
HIDs
Sunroof (standard)
Bluetooth (standard)
Different rims
Red leather stitching

Not sure what happened in other models.
But maybe redbook would be your friend?
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
NevC
Red Back Ute

I found this to explain things, do you agree with this. Basically I read it to say from mod 09, it will be an MB.

Cheers

Nev

IN mid 2009 Ford dropped the sedan, added an attractive wagon, and introduced a luxury Titanium version to the lauded Mondeo range.

So while it is not officially a face lift, the changes to the revised and revamped Mondeo are big enough for Ford to warrant a model code change from MA to MB.
BF XR6 Ute, July 2006 build, Seduce, Sports Bars, F6 CAI with K&N Filter, Turbo Upper Snorkel and Terri Air Pipe, Custom Cat Back Exhaust, 3.23 LSD, Lower Grille, Auto Glass, Bluetooth, iPod interface, Tie Downs, Analogue Clock, LED Mods

Old 06-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

simplest way is if it has red stitching in the leather, it'sd an MB. if it's white, it's an MA... doubt anybody would go to the trouble of replacing seats in an MA...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 12:35 AM   #6
MOND30
If You Seek AU

I think the MB was built from around May/June 2009 onwards... but my MB Titanium has "MA" on the compliance plate. The front cover of the handbook should say one or the other.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
RicOz

Go the MB Zetec or Titanium, its got the LCD display in the dash, bluetooth standard, different seat material, the crome lining on the bottom on the door windows.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Will be on the build plate..

All of the above is correct, the MB Zetec had the high series cluster which has a TFT screen in the guts of it.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevC
IN mid 2009 Ford dropped the sedan, added an attractive wagon, and introduced a luxury Titanium version to the lauded Mondeo range.

So while it is not officially a face lift, the changes to the revised and revamped Mondeo are big enough for Ford to warrant a model code change from MA to MB.
Hi Nev,

Reasonably accurate, except that MAs were being sold as late as October 2009, I know because that is when we bought ours, also it is a Sedan and no "MB" sedans have been imported. At the time we bought ours there were some hatchback MA model about the place, but having had a TX5 Hatchback, which started to creak after a few years when the guides and stops got worn, we elected for the sedan. The metal parcel shelf stiffens the rear of the car quite well

To make things more confusing in Europe they are all Mk4s and will become Mk5s when the new engined models flow from the production line, I believe. There are some panel changes as well.

In the Zetec stitching isn't a clue because I have neither white nor red - I suspect that is only on the XR5s in keeping with their "sporty" flavour.

The compliance plate on our car doesn't mention the Oz codes (MA/MB) so an Oz compliance plate was never applied or it was removed before delivery, which is naughty but of limited concern to us given our expect ownership duration.

As you have recently bought the car I'm betting it would be the MB model, because I would have expected all the MAs to have been washed out of the supply chain by now.

If you want to confuse the insurance people then tell them it's a Mk4, which is what the factory designation seems to be

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Last edited by AlanD; 07-07-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: punctuation, clarity
AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD

<snip>

If you want to confuse the insurance people then tell them it's a Mk4, which is what the factory designation seems to be

Cheers
Or if you REALLY want to confuse them, and have an XR5, explain it used to be a 6 cylinder but it lost one on the boat on the way over ;)

When I got mine, my insurance cost was very good. No one had pranged one. Two years later, gone up well over 40% :(
Old 07-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
Or if you REALLY want to confuse them, and have an XR5, explain it used to be a 6 cylinder but it lost one on the boat on the way over ;)

When I got mine, my insurance cost was very good. No one had pranged one. Two years later, gone up well over 40% :(
Strange I thought TURBO added extra to the policy which I could never understand

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
warren77

Apstar

My xr5 in the first year, was about $100 cheaper to insure than my Liberty.
Now it is above that cost unfortunately.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #13
NevC
Red Back Ute

Smile

We don't pick the Zetec up until the 16th. We have a week away which has delayed the delivery.
It is an MB, Hatch Feb 2010 build, Moon Dust Silver. Had another look at it today, it is still waiting on tow bar to arrive.

I appreciate your help. Been a Terri owner to long (had 2).

Cheers

Nev

Old 07-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #14
warren77

NevC

That isn't too bad.
I ordered mine in early Jan, picked up in mid May.
Had to wait until one was built with a sunroof and bluetooth - now standard.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #15
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD
Hi Nev,

In the Zetec stitching isn't a clue because I have neither white nor red - I suspect that is only on the XR5s in keeping with their "sporty" flavour.
yep, just realised my noob mistake when reading other replies...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #16
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevC

I appreciate your help. Been a Terri owner to long (had 2).

Cheers

Nev
Well we kept ours - just too valuable as a potential tow vehicle when we explore Oz - and the trade in value was a joke. So we belong to the group that says "whatever the faults may be the Territory is a fine car for Australian conditions"
That said, if we do take off sometime in the future I'll be factoring in the cost of getting rid of those tension loaded ball joints.

Cheers and enjoy the mondeo TDC i

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post